• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Are you Cannabis Deficient?

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
http://health.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/03/10/are-you-cannabis-deficient/
This is so win...

If the idea of having a marijuana deficiency sounds laughable to you, a growing body of science points at exactly such a possibility. Scientists have known that the active psychoactive compound in marijuana is THC, which is short for tetrahydrocannabinol.

In August 1990, researchers reported in the journal Nature the discovery of receptors in the brain that specifically accommodate the cannabinoids in pot. Cannabinoids bind to particular neurological sites in the brain, as though the brain was specifically designed to utilize this plant. Did nature toss cannabinoid receptors into the brain by random chance? Are cannabinoid receptors part of an intelligent design for deriving maximum benefit from cannabis? Is cannabis a divine elixir of sacred communion for which we are ideally suited? Actually, a more sober answer seems likely. When there are receptors in the brain for a particular type of compound, that compound is made in the brain. This is true of many important agents that work to transmit brain messages of all types. So a hunt began to find such a compound.

In that vein, in 1992 researchers in Israel isolated the cannabinoid anandamide in the human brain. Unlike THC, anandamide is manufactured in the brain, and is therefore an endogenous cannabinoid. This agent, anandamide, is the compound that attaches to the built-in cannabinoid receptors in our brains. The name anandamide is based on the Sanskrit word ananda, which means bliss. Anandamide is a bliss molcule, enhancing greater well being and emotional satisfaction.

Ever since the pioneering work of Dr. William OShaughnessy on cannabis and pain compiled in the 1840s a growing body of science has shown that cannabis offers relief for various types of pain. In the brain, the endogenous agent anandamide also plays a role in mitigating inflammation and pain. So both cannabinoids from inside and outside the body play a role in pain reduction. More recent studies show pain relief among sufferers of multiple sclerosis when cannabis is consumed.

Anandamide also plays a role in proper appetite, feelings of pleasure and well-being, and memory. Interestingly, cannabis also affects these same functions. Cannabis has been used successfully to treat migraine, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome and glaucoma. So here is the seventy-four thousand dollar question. Does cannabis simply relieve these diseases to varying degrees, or is cannabis actually a medical replacement in cases of deficient anandamide?

At least one author, medical doctor Ethan Russo, believes in the possibility of endocanabinoid deficiency, and suggests that such a deficiency might actually be a significant cause of the types of health problems listed above. His paper Clinical Cannabinoid Deficiency, published in Neuroendocrinology Letters in 2004, delved deeply into the various ways that cannabinoids function in the body, and how a deficiency in cannabinoids can lead to a broad range of diseases. Since the publication of that paper, a number of studies have further confirmed the effectiveness of cannabis for many health disorders.

The idea of clinical cannabinoid deficiency opens the door to cannabis consumption as an effective medical approach to relief of various types of pain, restoration of appetite in cases in which appetite is compromised, improved visual health in cases of glaucoma, and improved sense of well being among patients suffering from a broad variety of mood disorders. As state and local laws mutate and change in favor of greater tolerance, perhaps cannabis will find its proper place in the home medicine chest.

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Great article. I know it helps me emotionally and physically.

In fact, I think I'm feeling a little Cannabis deficient at the moment.....

momofthegoons,

StickyShisha2

I just read a bit on this a few weeks ago. I was researching fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH)

StickyShisha2,
Very interesting. I know it helps my mood disorder, and helps me with my back pain caused by a herniated disk. To think that I am making up for a deficiency is rather neat. I wish more research was being done.

SkeletonLips,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
It is a miracle plant and has so many benefits, effects and usages and at worst it's fairly benign.
Then we see commercials for prescription drugs that can help stabilize emotions but the side effects - which you should contact your doctor IMMEDIATELY if you experience any of these - are
suicidal ideations, loss of motor functions, confusion.

For me it's most pronounced effect is clarity and introspection and creativity.
I don't really experience it as an intoxicant because my awareness is heightened.

Top Bottom