Are these solvents safe?

Mars77

Hello all,

Not so new to concentrates, I’m seeking help in figuring out if these solvents are safe to use if purged properly.
I’ve been making qwet and qwiso for a while, but the solvents I’ve used are no longer available and those 2 bottles are the only clean solvents I can find. Are they safe to use?
https://i.imgur.com/phZRj8N.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7bsiTdy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UCND5wT.jpg

What is your prefered method, I found out that Ethanol processed oil lacks flavor compared to ISO..

Mars77,
Reactions: shredder

Mars77

Thanks for the input, I find that The ethanol extracted oil I made was pristine shatter but had almost no taste whereas the qwiso made with the same strain (Sour D chem pheno) had a more pungent taste but could not taste the flower profile taste..

As far as I know, Qwiso is fine if Iso is completely evaporated.. I’m just a bit worried about the methanol in the bottle shown (0.2%), but according to google methanol evaporates cleanly..

These are the 2 solvents available where I live, unfortunaley don’t have access to pharma grade, only re-agent lab grade..

This reagent 95% ethyl seems clean, I don’t see any denaturated agent..

Mars77,

Tuck

I have been told that Isopropyl and Ethanol have different polarities. After the QWISO method, some people will then winterize using the Ethanol. Winterizing helps remove fats and lipids.

Tuck,

shredder

I have been told that Isopropyl and Ethanol have different polarities. After the QWISO method, some people will then winterize using the Ethanol. Winterizing helps remove fats and lipids.

I'm just vaping solventless rosin and herb now days, but I do strip used rosin pucks with iso and winterize. But it's for cannacaps. Along with concerns about getting all the solvents out, ussually most of the terpenes go too, making vaping it kinda one dementional compared to solventless..

Mars77

I’ve noticed that if the temperatures are kept really cold ( ~14F) there’s no need to winterize ISO ( soaking time never exceeds 30s) or ethanol..
Yes Rosin is superior in taste but contains too many waxes, therefore requires further filtration.

Mars77,

shredder

I’ve noticed that if the temperatures are kept really cold ( ~14F) there’s no need to winterize ISO ( soaking time never exceeds 30s) or ethanol..
Yes Rosin is superior in taste but contains too many waxes, therefore requires further filtration.

Why does rosin require further filtration?
It's pretty popular as is, are you saying the plant waxes are somehow toxic? If so please provide links. Plant waxes are in herb as well, and I've never heard of problems with plant waxes in herb, but your saying there is a problem in rosin?

I freeze iso and the herb, when I use it for stripping actives, and still pick up lots of waxes in the filter after winterizing. It's not like you can see them in solution, but you sure can in a filter. Sometimes a lot, sometimes just a little, but I've always got something even if it is just a little sticking (freezing) to the glass.

Mars77

The problem if Rosin is the amountif lipids, if dabbed regularly it may coat your lungs with fats which may not be great..
on the other hand , Iso or ethanol extracted oil if done properly have almost no lipids which makes the product easier on lungs and throat but less flavorful ( because of the loss of terpenes in the filtration process)

Mars77,

biohacker

The problem if Rosin is the amountif lipids, if dabbed regularly it may coat your lungs with fats which may not be great..

I'm uber health conscious and recently retired flowers in favour of rosin, so you do raise an eyebrow. Curious what @invertedisdead has to say about this as I was quite certain in another thread that this concern was debunked. I find rosin so much smoother and more agreeable with my lungs than flower, but I also adjust for yield. I can see how doing globs could cause issues, and of course one of the biggest variables - temperatures and "flash dabbing". I guess with convection dabbing I don't have much to worry about? Would the waxes get trapped in the cotton I use for wick?

Mars77

I’ve read on a few forums that dabbing too much high wax waxy content may stress lungs and induce lipid bronchitis but never seen science facts... To my expericence dabbing low temp is more important than having too much wax content.
Also aggree with you, flowers are harsher on lungs than good shatter..
Convection vaping is perfect with oil , been experiencing with quartz bangers and the taste is really spot on

shredder

I’ve read on a few forums that dabbing too much high wax waxy content may stress lungs and induce lipid bronchitis but never seen science facts... To my expericence dabbing low temp is more important than having too much wax content.
Also aggree with you, flowers are harsher on lungs than good shatter..
Convection vaping is perfect with oil , been experiencing with quartz bangers and the taste is really spot on

I've read that too, but have yet to see any evidence. It's funny how fast something like this spreads. After all there are waxes in flowers as well, how come you don't hear about problems in herb?

I'm uber health conscious and recently retired flowers in favour of rosin, so you do raise an eyebrow. Curious what @invertedisdead has to say about this as I was quite certain in another thread that this concern was debunked. I find rosin so much smoother and more agreeable with my lungs than flower, but I also adjust for yield. I can see how doing globs could cause issues, and of course one of the biggest variables - temperatures and "flash dabbing". I guess with convection dabbing I don't have much to worry about? Would the waxes get trapped in the cotton I use for wick?

I go back and forth on how I medicate based on how I feel. Lately with the weather changes I've been congested, so then I vape more rosin than herb. Less hits overall with longer effects and less irritation. ++ another little thing I do is to take a low strength cannacap at times so it takes less vaping to get where I wanna be.

I'm using my sic halo for low temp dabs and our mighty with liquid pads and rosin in both. I could see how too much heat in high temp dabs could be a problem tho, more so than wax.

How are you convection dabbing?

biohacker

I've read that too, but have yet to see any evidence. It's funny how fast something like this spreads. After all there are waxes in flowers as well, how come you don't hear about problems in herb?

Probably due to the concentration?

Supreme v3. Not exactly pure convection like say the e-nano or FF2, but I love the added radiant and conductive heating. Not even sure I want the dnail sic halo anymore, well I do...but no real rush anymore!

I also am extremely fond of bubble hash.... it's just as smooth as rosin for me.

biohacker,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

This lipid pneumonia debate is a very hot topic in the community right now. Unfortunately with all the money in the industry now, I have to question if the message is being spread with scientific intent and safety in mind, or just propaganda from those who sell cannabis oil or the machines to make it?

For example, here's a little link from Summit Research, who sells distillation equipment... does this sound like a company who likes rosin?
http://summit-research.tech/cannabis-extracts-understanding-the-basics/

Wax: Lowest quality product comprised of 20-50%+ inactive compounds.
Waxes, fats, lipids, solids, aldehydes, inactive compounds & contamination
Should be recognized as poison & avoided at all costs.

Butter: As bad as wax, high levels of water & or degraded compounds.
No stability in their natural state, avoid at all cost.

The boiling point of parrafin wax is 700F, so compared to vaporizing flower, one would see combustion first.

With an e-nail most people aren't going to be near a dish temperature that high. You could hit that temp with a cool-down thermal curve torched dab, but it's only at those temps for a few seconds.

shredder

This lipid pneumonia debate is a very hot topic in the community right now. Unfortunately with all the money in the industry now, I have to question if the message is being spread with scientific intent and safety in mind, or just propaganda from those who sell cannabis oil or the machines to make it?

For example, here's a little link from Summit Research, who sells distillation equipment... does this sound like a company who likes rosin?
http://summit-research.tech/cannabis-extracts-understanding-the-basics/

Wax: Lowest quality product comprised of 20-50%+ inactive compounds.
Waxes, fats, lipids, solids, aldehydes, inactive compounds & contamination
Should be recognized as poison & avoided at all costs.

Butter: As bad as wax, high levels of water & or degraded compounds.
No stability in their natural state, avoid at all cost.

The boiling point of parrafin wax is 700F, so compared to vaporizing flower, one would see combustion first.

With an e-nail most people aren't going to be near a dish temperature that high. You could hit that temp with a cool-down thermal curve torched dab, but it's only at those temps for a few seconds.

That's a wild statement from the distillation co. Are they speaking of solvent wax and butter?

There isn't anything in rosin that's not in the herb, so if they feel that rosin is poison they must really hate on herb, eh?

I'll stay on the safe side and not vape the reclaim off the q tips I use to clean my halo dish. I feel safer already, lol.

Last edited:

PoopMachine

+1

I extract in dry ice. I put the flower in a jar and put it in a cooler with dry ice for about 6 hours. I put my Everclear in the same cooler in a jar. At 6 hours, I open it, quickly combine the two, give it a swirl and put it back in the cooler. Every 15 minutes I take it out and swirl it. At an hour, I drain it until almost all the liquid is out of it. You can see the fats and lipids stil in the jar.

Dewax and extract all in one step. Then I run it through my Source until its almost completely purged then finish it in a vacuum chamber.

Mars77

Hey PoopMachibe, sounds like using dry ice is the way to go to achieve super low temps. Your method looks good, i may try dry ice on my next run..
I dunno about you guys but my iceolator fine hash was a better experience in my Mighty than my rosin in my oil rig.. My SourD rosin tasted good but the fine tasty hash was more enjoyable.. i should try to put fine hash in my oil rig.. have you tried?

Mars77,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Hey PoopMachibe, sounds like using dry ice is the way to go to achieve super low temps. Your method looks good, i may try dry ice on my next run..
I dunno about you guys but my iceolator fine hash was a better experience in my Mighty than my rosin in my oil rig.. My SourD rosin tasted good but the fine tasty hash was more enjoyable.. i should try to put fine hash in my oil rig.. have you tried?

Do you have an enail?

invertedisdead,
Top Bottom