Are quesadilla sandwiches?

2 Cycle

I see bread and filling. Looks like a sandwich. Just to add, I used to be a soft taco guy and maybe a burrito but I am pleased to announce my new favorite: quesadilla. You make them using flour tortillas, beans, cheese. Then you add really anything you want and put another shell on top. Hot press that and damn!

2 Cycle

anyone have a good recipe for these things? Mine are outstanding but some people on here are fine cooks and i want to pick their brains

Tranquility

https://www.reddit.com/r/NLSSCircleJerk/comments/68oh02/the_sandwich_alignment_chart/

It would be an example of a structure rebel and ingredient purist-type.

You make them using flour tortillas, beans, cheese.
I live in a city with a taqueria on every corner and, around here, beans are not a quesadilla ingredient. It is usually a flour tortilla, cheese and, sometimes, some kind of meat. A good trick is to throw on some (mild) green chili on the cheese before toasting.

large_4ee028e6-c6b8-4c1a-9cf0-fd24be6050fd.png

Last edited:

Exsmoker

Plant Manager
Yep, they’re tasty alright. I’m not sure quesadillas can be called a sandwich, but they’re close enough for me.

I’ve enjoyed turkey and swiss; sloppy joe style; Mexican style with ground beef, taco seasoning, refried beans, and cheese. My favorite may be breakfast style with scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, shredded cheese and onion or red pepper. Hmm, now I’m hungry... :)

2 Cycle

see, i need the bean to glue the whole beautiful wafer together. I use this cuisinart griddler thing that presses the whole thing together flat at high temp. Tasty as a mofo
edit also wanted to add that those green chili’s above look awesome great rec

shredder

I see bread and filling. Looks like a sandwich. Just to add, I used to be a soft taco guy and maybe a burrito but I am pleased to announce my new favorite: quesadilla. You make them using flour tortillas, beans, cheese. Then you add really anything you want and put another shell on top. Hot press that and damn!

If a quesadilla is a sandwich, then is a sandwich is a quesadilla? And what is a panini?

I'll have a submarine quesadilla please.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
see, i need the bean to glue the whole beautiful wafer together. I use this cuisinart griddler thing that presses the whole thing together flat at high temp. Tasty as a mofo
edit also wanted to add that those green chili’s above look awesome great rec
Just bought the Cuisinart griddler two days ago. First thing Madri-Guy did was make a quesadilla.

vapeanderson

Then you add really anything you want and put another shell on top.

Personally I almost almost use a large or medium flour tortilla and fold it in half instead of using two discrete tortillas. In my case I would say it's not a sandwich.

Filling of choice is typically shredded cheddar cheese and often a little hot sauce. Sometimes I throw in a few dashes of cinnamon.

I also make them with hummus and cheese sometimes and throw in some chopped spinach and maybe olives.

Tranquility

I also make them with hummus and cheese sometimes and throw in some chopped spinach and maybe olives.
Around here you'd be looked at like a MAGA-hat wearing old, white, male passing around a coffee can for change to Build the Wall if you gave someone a "quesadilla" with those ingredients.

Three-quarters of the city is either "Hispanic or Latino of any race" so you could guess how that might go down.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Let's wade in, shall we?
A common definition isn't always the technical definition. A sandwiches is basically two pieces of bread with filling, generally handheld. This quickly falls apart with open faced sandwiches and sandwiches with messy filling that are best eaten with a fork. Of course, some messy sandwiches, such as BBQ or Sloppy Joe's are often eaten out of hand. There are also finger sandwiches that are often stacked and cut so there are more than two slices of bread. This area becomes confused when you get to hamburgers and hot dogs. Are they sandwiches? Sure! And tomatoes and cucumbers are fruits, commonly referred to as vegatables.
What we have so far is leavening. When you get to tortillas you have flat bread. Ok, let's say a quesadillas is a sandwich, and many, such as @vapeanderson, fold the tortilla, and many, such as the OP, add more than cheese. What if you use a corn tortilla, instead of flour? You get a taco. Is that a sandwich? How about we go back to the flour tortilla, and we add a few more folds. Now you have a burrito. Is that a sandwich? What if you pour sauce on it, and bake it? Is an enchilada a sandwich? Or going back to sliced, leavened bread, is French toast topped with fruit or a filling a sandwich? What about a Monte Cristo? A croque monsieur?
Is leavening the defining feature? If a quesadilla is a sandwich, are stacked cheese and crackers a sandwich? What if you roll the quesadilla? Is a lavash a sandwich? If not, why not, when you can make spiral finger sandwiches?
What if you don't use bread? Say you use cake. Is cake disqualified because it's sweet? We know filling can be sweet because of jams and jellies. You can make a sandwich out of cinnamon bread, and it's sweet. When does bread become cake, and get disqualified? What about quick bread? Banana bread? Zucchini bread? And if we say cake is as close as a cracker, or tortilla, then what if we fill and roll it like a lavash? Is a jelly roll a sandwich?
When I first saw this thread, I asked Madri-Guy, the graduate of a fine culinary academy, what he thought. He said, "when you start getting into definitions about food, you end up in arguments where cold cereal in milk is a soup."
Wise words, Madri-Guy. @ThymeTraveler, what do you think?

arb

Semi shaved ape
Let's wade in, shall we?
A common definition isn't always the technical definition. A sandwiches is basically two pieces of bread with filling, generally handheld. This quickly falls apart with open faced sandwiches and sandwiches with messy filling that are best eaten with a fork. Of course, some messy sandwiches, such as BBQ or Sloppy Joe's are often eaten out of hand. There are also finger sandwiches that are often stacked and cut so there are more than two slices of bread. This area becomes confused when you get to hamburgers and hot dogs. Are they sandwiches? Sure! And tomatoes and cucumbers are fruits, commonly referred to as vegatables.
What we have so far is leavening. When you get to tortillas you have flat bread. Ok, let's say a quesadillas is a sandwich, and many, such as @vapeanderson, fold the tortilla, and many, such as the OP, add more than cheese. What if you use a corn tortilla, instead of flour? You get a taco. Is that a sandwich? How about we go back to the flour tortilla, and we add a few more folds. Now you have a burrito. Is that a sandwich? What if you pour sauce on it, and bake it? Is an enchilada a sandwich? Or going back to sliced, leavened bread, is French toast topped with fruit or a filling a sandwich? What about a Monte Cristo? A croque monsieur?
Is leavening the defining feature? If a quesadilla is a sandwich, are stacked cheese and crackers a sandwich? What if you roll the quesadilla? Is a lavash a sandwich? If not, why not, when you can make spiral finger sandwiches?
What if you don't use bread? Say you use cake. Is cake disqualified because it's sweet? We know filling can be sweet because of jams and jellies. You can make a sandwich out of cinnamon bread, and it's sweet. When does bread become cake, and get disqualified? What about quick bread? Banana bread? Zucchini bread? And if we say cake is as close as a cracker, or tortilla, then what if we fill and roll it like a lavash? Is a jelly roll a sandwich?
When I first saw this thread, I asked Madri-Guy, the graduate of a fine culinary academy, what he thought. He said, "when you start getting into definitions about food, you end up in arguments where cold cereal in milk is a soup."
Wise words, Madri-Guy. @ThymeTraveler, what do you think?
that blew my mind...........lolz.

2 Cycle

i think to rule out sweet items as sandwiches ignores one of my favorite desserts: ice cream sandwiches. Look at how wafer thin ice cream sandwich cookies are. Look familiar? It should, quesadilla tortilla shells are the same thickness. So if an ice cream sandwich can get called a sandwich with those thin cookies then a quesadilla should also be called a sandwich with its thin tortilla bread.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
i think to rule out sweet items as sandwiches ignores one of my favorite desserts: ice cream sandwiches. Look at how wafer thin ice cream sandwich cookies are. Look familiar? It should, quesadilla tortilla shells are the same thickness. So if an ice cream sandwich can get called a sandwich with those thin cookies then a quesadilla should also be called a sandwich with its thin tortilla bread.
Or ice cream sandwhich between oatmeal cookies, such as It's It's. They are qualified by "ice cream" before sandwich, but now I feel pretty good about my lunch choice for the day. Pretty sure I can now have ice cream and cake and report it as sandwiches. Especially when I'm high, and why wouldn't I be?
I say, if ice cream sandwiches want to join the Sandwich Party, let 'em. We're pretty inclusive around here, (so far).
@2 Cycle, what do you say about a scoop of ice cream served on a brownie? If you sliced it, and put ice cream in the center, it's an ice cream sandwich. If you put a scoop on top, is it then an open faced sammich?

Madri-Gal,
Reactions: arb
Top Bottom