Are desktop vapes in decline?

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
Yeah, the problem with blanket statements is they can't cover everything. I don't mean to offend by having a black and white opinion. Of course there are nice portables and exceptions. Do you think an average portable gives the same extraction as an average desktop? I don't.

I have also not tried every vape in existence so there is that too. One of my requirements is to hit all glass and this forces me to use a desktop. I consider glass important to get the most out of my herb. From this perspective portables are out due to the materials used.

Last edited:

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
Well these days im strictly portable .. my ssv was put away and is now on loan to a friend with severe back issues. Imo the mighty is as heavy a hitter as the ssv in fact i think i get bigger hits from the mighty. But my daily driver is the vapman and if i need big hits or need to pass the vape round then pull out the mighty. I cant really see myself going back to desktops. All my vaping equipment is in one small draw, i dont need a whole counter top for my vape station anymore (happier girlfriend!) Im even considering selling off all my glass and accessories as im so happy with my minimalist set up.

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Who said a desktop had to take up a whole desk? My logs are beasts and they don't take up much room at all. Plus I can hook up a battery pack and they are plenty portable. Look at all the new logs purchased on 4/20 sales this year by FC members. Desktops are growing in popularity, especially the portable desktops like DC logs! :2c::peace:

VapourHaze

Who said a desktop had to take up a whole desk? My logs are beasts and they don't take up much room at all. Plus I can hook up a battery pack and they are plenty portable. Look at all the new logs purchased on 4/20 sales this year by FC members. Desktops are growing in popularity, especially the portable desktops like DC logs! :2c::peace:

Ye for sure but most of the logs require being plugged in all the time for optimum usage or at least to make them conveniant. Then youve got the power chord issue which is annoying and an issue for some pet owners. Also i dont really want a vape out on display hot ready to go all the time. I can have a session, put my vape in a drawer or even better my pocket and no ones the wiser :)

lwien

One of my requirements is to hit all glass and this forces me to use a desktop. I consider glass important to get the most out of my herb. From this perspective portables are out due to the materials used.

Guess you haven't checked out the Ascent yet. It's a portable that has more glass in it's air and vapor path than approx. 95% of the desktops on the market.

Also, some of the best tasting vaporizers, like the FireFly and the MiniVap are portables that don't use glass in the air and vapor path.

Just a few things to consider.......

Solomon

Talk to the Beard
I don't think desktops are "in decline", but I do think they are at a different point in their sales cycle.

While portables are still in an almost constant state of change - battery-life, heating types, form-factors - desktops are at a more mature state where there are not as many technical factors to consider or innovate.

The relative immaturity of the portable market is really evident here on FC - this community's expectations of a portable right now compared to, let's say, 2 years ago, is quite a bit different. As portable technologies improve, expectations and usage of the equipment changes as well.

Portables also seem more likely to be replaced by newer models either due to innovation or simply due to some level of "failure". It's far more likely you'll drop and break your portable, or simply lose it somewhere, than that desktop that stays in one place.

So I think most of the "vape buzz" is centered around portables right now, and this will probably continue as the portable market matures.

VapourHaze

Not any more. Most of the newer designs get to temp in less than ten minutes, so you can leave them on all the time or just when you need them like other vapes.

Still compared to my vapman or mighty thats 10 mins too long and that would mean having it plugged in ready to go and it still wouldnt be fully heatsinked.

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Still compared to my vapman or mighty thats 10 mins too long

It would take me 10 minutes to find my vapman/lighter or mighty, :), I'm always losing my shit. :myday: The nano is small enough to fit into a drawer.

Which gives me an idea, someone needs to make a iPhone/android based phone that doubles as a vaporizer. That way you always have it on you and if you lose it you can call it to find it. :2c::peace:

howie105

Looking at all our likes and dislikes its obvious that there are too many considerations to be covered successfully by any one vape be it portable or corded. That is why many folks own multiple vapes following the dictum of the right tool for the right job. Just my opinion, enjoy.

max

Out to lunch
I consider glass important to get the most out of my herb.
Why? I used a vape with a 100% glass vapor path (yes 100%) for years, as well as 'glass' water filtration for bigger/smoother hits, and 'glass gets the most out my herb' never entered my mind.

As for the actual topic here, people tend to like smaller vapes and no power cords, so there will certainly continue to be more portables introduced than plug-ins. There will also be a lot more portables thrown in the trash than plug-ins, ranging from cheap junky portables that crap out and have no warranty, to more expensive ones that some won't be willing to send in for battery replacement that'll cost as much as a decent portable.

On the rare occasion I need a vape to use at home 'on the move', I have a portable. Otherwise, at home, I have no interest in using a battery powered vape. I find that a power cord is well worth putting up with.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
and it still wouldnt be fully heatsinked.

Not any more! The new log vape designs don't have heat sinks. They are heating the air on demand like the 7th Floor products. That's why they get to temp quicker...the resistor is also the heat exchanger, instead of the old heat sink. Someone like @SSVUN~YAH who has all the latest logs can better tell us how long they take to get to temp.

Another reason portables are popular is the price. I currently rotate four different desktop vapes that all are in the $400 to $800 price range. I don't have one portable that costs that much (and I don't count the MV...it's a hybrid)

Last edited:

Traaaaan

I have the air. I love it for my commute or when I am cooling and doing dishes or out hiking.

I recently got a log, the enano. It's pretty awesome as I can vape a small amount very, very quickly.

I remember someone saying this but most portables are like pipes, whereas desktops are like bongs.

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
@max - Hi. Getting the most when it comes to glass is a purity thing for me. I like how glass cleans and how it ages. When I have a chance, I like to do green hit side by sides with my glass vape vs whatever. I think if I take a few green hits within a minute of each other that it would be good way to compare flavors. I find some older vapes can add a musty flavor and mask the true flavor. Glass allows me to keep my setup clean as possible and to give me a clean slate that I can trust over time. Old heaters taste like old heaters. Old heaters encased in glass taste like nothing.

Top Bottom