Are desktop vapes in decline?

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
The distinction would be a portable (therefore cordless by our definition) that is too big or unwieldy to be stealth. You can certainly walk around the house or yard with it because no cord, but you might be unlikely to use it on the street in non-rec places. Nothing is changing, it was just a thought.

^^^^
This reminds me of different terms used for telephones, at home you may have a cordless 'portable' that's just a home phone as compared to a cell phone that would be both portable and mobile for use anywhere.

hd_rider

imagesCA4RTUD8.jpg

grokit

well-worn member
^^^^
This reminds me of different terms used for telephones, at home you may have a cordless 'portable' that's just a home phone as compared to a cell phone that would be both portable and mobile for use anywhere.
This whole thread reminds me of the telephone, look how long it took us to cut that cord and see how far we've come since then with smartphones etc :tup:

MinnBobber

I'd like to see more desktop/ portable combination vapes like the miniVAP. You can use it as a desktop with the AC puck OR as a portable with the battery .
I even use it as a hybrid---- bring it up to temp with the AC puck and then snap on the battery. It takes way more electrical energy to bring it up to 400 F vs holding it there. With this method, the already huge battery life seems to last forever (almost).

I wish more vapes had desktop AND portable capability !!!!

Jethro

I never really thought about it, but I could see that. I mean, I only started vaping a few years ago, but it's been decades since I've owned a big bong of some sort. And it's not because I don't have a space for it, I owned a 3000 sq ft house. I can kinda see the parallels. I don't own a landline phone, just a cell phone. I no longer have a desktop computer and just use a laptop- those are kinda going the way of the dinosaur too... There are always the dedicated "hardcore" out there that will need a high power home unit though. And honestly, if I had the money I would so buy a Herbilizer in an instant.

Rush520

Those are pretty fair comparisons Jethro. Only thing I'd say is, what can a landline phone do that a cell phone cannot? Practically nothing. Whereas the abilities of desktops vs portables can sometimes vary greatly. But...these days size, stealth, portability are all pretty high priorities so I do think we will see more new portables than more new desktops. Most people want the most, while "carrying" the least ya know?

hi_there

I use the Arizer Air as my main vape simply because for a reasonable price it fulfills multiple needs. It gives me nice clouds and great taste with a water tool at home or sitting back at a friends place. It also give me small quick hits with the regular mouthpiece and it has a swappable battery so I am not tied to a plug, I can walk out to the backyard or whatever. With everything it offers I would not bother with a desktop unit.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I use the Arizer Air as my main vape simply because for a reasonable price it fulfills multiple needs. It gives me nice clouds and great taste with a water tool at home or sitting back at a friends place. It also give me small quick hits with the regular mouthpiece and it has a swappable battery so I am not tied to a plug, I can walk out to the backyard or whatever. With everything it offers I would not bother with a desktop unit.

I felt the same way about having a desktop for 4-5 years until I actually spent a whole evening with my first one the Vapolution 2(even though it can be a portable) and then after getting an EV-2 a few weeks later I'm pretty certain I'll never be without a plug-in (desktop) vape again.

No battery powered portable I've used comes close in performance to the plug-ins I've used so I actually prefer Desktops these days over battery powered vapes and for portable use find the performance of a few torch powered vapes so much better then anything with batteries I haven't plugged in a battery charger for weeks.

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
I felt the same way about having a desktop for 4-5 years until I actually spent a whole evening with my first one the Vapolution 2(even though it can be a portable) and then after getting an EV-2 a few weeks later I'm pretty certain I'll never be without a plug-in (desktop) vape again.

No battery powered portable I've used comes close in performance to the plug-ins I've used so I actually prefer Desktops these days over battery powered vapes and for portable use find the performance of a few torch powered vapes so much better then anything with batteries I haven't plugged in a battery charger for weeks.
@RUDE BOY get them pups a battery pack and I think you'll change your mind.

howie105

Without actual sales results to review I only know what my purchases have been and two thirds of them have been corded. Will portables eventuality change enough replace my corded units possibly, but not yet.

howie105,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
i'm thinkin' when I get my Mini two tone rosewood it will be often running off the vapo 2 battery pack (if i can find it), I'll just need to change the plug and it'll be good to go.

I'm mostly homebound right now so going mobil's not a big big deal at the moment and a 50ft UD extension cord pretty near covers my garden so when I'm 60 feet away or more I use the vapman,daisy, lily or lotus.

:tup:

SSVUN~YAH

i'm thinkin' when I get my Mini two tone rosewood it will be often running off the vapo 2 battery pack (if i can find it), I'll just need to change the plug and it'll be good to go.

I'm mostly homebound right now so going mobil's not a big big deal at the moment and a 50ft extension cord pretty near covers my garden so when I'm 60 feet away or more I use the vapman,daisy, lily or lotus.

Life is Good!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I haven't used a lot of battery powered vapes, so I can't really tell. I will say that I rarely use my plug in (HA) unless I have others joining me. It is WAY better then either my FM or Lotus for multiple people, however. My next Vape is a battery vape and may change everything, or it may not. I am thinking it will. But the need to have charged batteries ready is something I couldn't accept as my only vape. I must always have a way to get high...

cybrguy,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
@SSVUN~YAH
Living and being Alive is a Good thing for sure, Hence; Life is Good :tup:

Overall Quality and Standard of living being a little higher right now would be nice but at least I'm "herb and vaporizer rich" through others kindness (due purely to good karma or something else out of my control)

SSVUN~YAH

Any desktop vaporizer can be made at least somewhat portable with the right battery.

Battery_Box.jpg

Ha ha Might as well just use your car! At least it's much quieter than a generator...

SSVUN~YAH,

shredder

I think the future is now. The mighty vape is powerful, and while it's not tiny, it is portable. And the batteries last me two days. I can get just as ripped on it as any of my desktops and it heats up faster than my desktops. And I see things only improving, just like other electronics.

vaporbrothers

Manufacturer
I think yes they are in decline - We love our portables and take them everywhere. But the desktop is like a table lamp or home stereo- something you can take for granted.

But my biggest need for a desktop - vaping herbs especially - is the power to inhale a bowl as fast as I want and still get thick hits. It takes our vapor box 34W to do that. [link] Some others need more or less but the point is... the battery for our method would need to be as large as a car battery.

The rig from @grokit above will do 34W for about 6 hours perhaps?

hoptimum

I think yes they are in decline - We love our portables and take them everywhere. But the desktop is like a table lamp or home stereo- something you can take for granted.

But my biggest need for a desktop - vaping herbs especially - is the power to inhale a bowl as fast as I want and still get thick hits. It takes our vapor box 34W to do that. [link] Some others need more or less but the point is... the battery for our method would need to be as large as a car battery.

The rig from @grokit above will do 34W for about 6 hours perhaps?

I think this is true of most if not all hard hitting desktops, from the logs to the 7th floor vapes, volcano, Cloud EVO and on and on. Portables and pens might be all the rage, but we know that theres nothing like a plugin to dial in that perfect hit every time, effortlessly.

axakal

this is why i'm waiting for the vapolution 3.0 as my next home unit :)

I think this is true of most if not all hard hitting desktops, from the logs to the 7th floor vapes, volcano, Cloud EVO and on and on. Portables and pens might be all the rage, but we know that theres nothing like a plugin to dial in that perfect hit every time, effortlessly.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
It takes our vapor box 34W to do that. Some others need more or less but the point is... the battery for our method would need to be as large as a car battery.

the batteries for my vape generate 72 watts (12 amps at 6 volts) using two 26650s - total size of two cells is 2 5/8" x 2 1/8" x 1 1/16" ... so, the right size for an R/C car.

however, it takes more than massive heater power to supply a fast and dense toke ... the heat has to be transferred to the herb to vaporize the trichomes, so it gets into turbulent airflow vs laminar airflow, the design of the bowl, etc.

Top Bottom