Are desktop vapes in decline?

Scott A

I think a lot of it is companies are seeing portables as more of a growing market that is also easier to get in to than having to battle all the established desktop vapes. I know a lot of people cant just have desktop vapes sitting out on a table and on 24/7 like I can which in its self makes owning a portable a lot more appealing than a desktop for those kinds of people.

Personally for me though I dont think there will ever be a portable vape that can fully take the place of a desktop.

AhBeVapin

Mindful Member Wellness User
Hey now,
I'll weigh in. Manufacturers react to demand. Manufacturers will produce at the lowest cost feasible for the product they are making. Consumers react by assessing the products and they choose based on what's important to them. Portables seem to be on the rise, but I think the manufacturers have over reacted to that demand. Most likely because the profit margin is better.
A lot of those folks that seek portable units now, will most likely seek a desktop in the future. Space, age, time or stealth will no longer be a primary factor. IMO.
So I think while the desktops seem to be 'less popular' I think there is mounting pressure on that market to keep costs low and device integrity high with a little innovation mixed in.
AVB out

shredder

Hey now,
I'll weigh in. Manufacturers react to demand. Manufacturers will produce at the lowest cost feasible for the product they are making. Consumers react by assessing the products and they choose based on what's important to them. Portables seem to be on the rise, but I think the manufacturers have over reacted to that demand. Most likely because the profit margin is better.
A lot of those folks that seek portable units now, will most likely seek a desktop in the future. Space, age, time or stealth will no longer be a primary factor. IMO.
So I think while the desktops seem to be 'less popular' I think there is mounting pressure on that market to keep costs low and device integrity high with a little innovation mixed in.
AVB out

I can't agree at all. S&B came out with two portables last fall, they are priced at the top of the market and they are selling fast. Not everyone will buy the cheapest, some seek quality. Especialy if you bought a cheap vape and were disappointed. And after using a high end portable, I doubt anyone would run out and buy a desktop. Maybe for some innovation only had that way, but once you ditch the wires, do you really want to go back? I mean I love my desktops, but I'd love them more without wires. I think now that there are high quality portables the trend is towards wireless.

lwien

Personally for me though I dont think there will ever be a portable vape that can fully take the place of a desktop.

And after using a high end portable, I doubt anyone would run out and buy a desktop.

The two quotes above are diametrically opposed to one another.

Prior to getting the MV, I would have agreed with Scott, but now, with the MV, I'm kinda aligned with shredder.

Actually, I think I'm somewhere in the middle. For me, as of right now, I wouldn't get rid of either my desktop (LSV) or my portable (MV).

When one is faced with trying to keep their tolerance in check, it pays to switch up those vape signatures.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Folks like ease and convenience, something that's easily gotten out and put away. Not too complicated and easily cleaned. You get that with a portable plus, some medicate so well.

I think most folks are hesitant about say spending more than $300. Most portables don't seem to hold up over time, except for a few. If the battery cannot be replaced it might as well be considered as a disposable unit.

Who wants to spend more than $200 if the unit only lasts 1 year.

Scott A

The two quotes above are diametrically opposed to one another.

Prior to getting the MV, I would have agreed with Scott, but now, with the MV, I'm kinda aligned with shredder.

Actually, I think I'm somewhere in the middle. For me, as of right now, I wouldn't get rid of either my desktop (LSV) or my portable (MV).

When one is faced with trying to keep their tolerance in check, it pays to switch up those vape signatures.
Yeah just goes to show you, different strokes for different folks. I actually have a friend with a MV and I do like it a good amount now that he finally got a working model, It surprises me that such a high end(by price) vaporizer hit so much quality control issues but still I like it and my friend is in love with it. Still not something that can replace the hit power of a sublimator to me, but thats not something everyone is looking for anyways. There is a reason I own 7 vaporizers right now and that is because it is always nice to have different vapes to mix it up with.

Petro

Pretty sure the LSV uses a 60W heater. I'd planned on getting the Hakko FX-888 soldering station instead of an LSV, but was worried about glass fitting easily.

Anybody used one of these before?
*giant pic removed*

I think that looks awesome. I know the soldering iron vapes have been around for years but that just seems like a cool tool for converting combusters. SSV style heater cover on a small, temp controlled ceramic iron that you can use in all your current bowls. Just insert a screen, control your draw properly and you're vaping. Minimum investment. Pretty much a budget LSV I guess, so obviously not an original idea.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
@Tweak here's what I was talking about...seems it might be re-released soon

http://www.w9tech.com/the-hammer-top/

The reason I think desktops will always be around in strong force is because it is all I use. As long as there are obsessive geeks like myself out there, there will be vaporizers that produce the best vapor possible and are plugged into a wall.

There are a few innovative portables coming out, but most of the portable flood is from Pax-like conduction vapes from China.

Rush520

To say the desktop technology landscape hasn't changed recently is crazy. Volcano is no longer king (in my opinion).

Each style of vape has its pros and cons and will fit within people's lifestyles differently. This is where many posters here develop VAS lol. Of course you can't bring a desktop with you camping, but when you're home and realize your older solo is dead and can't be used while charging (IIRC) you're gonna want that desktop.

Vaporizing as a whole can be viewed as counterculture, especially to non cannabis users. If the "experience" you're looking for is being the most medicated you've ever been, there are some desktops for that. The stealth of portable vapes is a beautiful thing tho. You can't go wrong with either but I don't want people to be turned off to desktop vapes and then turn to combustion when their Puffit isn't satisfying their needs.

Reliable ShotZ

I think pakolo hit the nail on the head. I went cheap because I wasn't completely confident whether it could replace my spliffs. I wanted to conceal my ritual but over at grass city everyone said small pen like vapes don't work so I went with a cheap plugin, then I discovered this fabulous forum. I personally think its important to go cheap to sus out what you want from your device so you don't waste too much money. Apparently I can't mention any plugins that interest me, but let's just say there aren't Plenty of desktop vapes to choose from in comparison to portables.

Rush520

I think pakolo hit the nail on the head. I went cheap because I wasn't completely confident whether it could replace my spliffs. I wanted to conceal my ritual but over at grass city everyone said small pen like vapes don't work so I went with a cheap plugin, then I discovered this fabulous forum. I personally think its important to go cheap to sus out what you want from your device so you don't waste too much money. Apparently I can't mention any plugins that interest me, but let's just say there aren't Plenty of desktop vapes to choose from in comparison to portables.
Very crafty of you there

hd_rider

In regards to good desktops, I can name over 20 of them. There's enough of them on the market to allow you to get one that will suit your needs.

So how does one select a desktop vaporizer? I mean, what features do you look for?

I would like a desktop vaporizer that I can keep plugged in next to my easy chair but have no idea where to begin in selecting one.

lwien

My first suggestion would be to take some time and read the various threads in the "Plug-in Vaporizer" forum here at FC. The knowledge that you will gain from doing that will arm you with enough information to come back here and ask specific questions about specific vaporizers.

Ask yourself and then put your answers in a list of priorities:
What is my budget?
Is bud conservation important to me?
Is taste important to me?
Will I be using it in party situations?
Will I be filtering my vapor through water?
and whatever else you can come up with as to what you really desire in a vaporizer.

max

Out to lunch
So how does one select a desktop vaporizer?
The knowledge that you will gain from doing that will arm you with enough information to come back here and ask specific questions about specific vaporizers.

This thread is about desktop/plug-in vapes in general. Questions about specific models should be asked in the appropriate vape thread or 'Ask FC'.

This section is 'Vaporization Discussion'
Vapor related but not model specific

howie105

So how does one select a desktop vaporizer? I mean, what features do you look for?

I would like a desktop vaporizer that I can keep plugged in next to my easy chair but have no idea where to begin in selecting one.

You have the right idea with the specific question, you are much more likely to get you a focused answer. The "What vape is best" question is just too broad to be useful IMO.

howie105,

hd_rider

My first suggestion would be to take some time and read the various threads in the "Plug-in Vaporizer" forum here at FC.

I have already been doing that. I'm well aware there are extensive threads on virtually each and every model out there. But in the same respect, it's hard to browse a thread with thousands of replies in an attempt to compile the "best of" features / opinions on each one.

hd_rider,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
This post was about a particular vape, so I killed it. Sorry

Should we generally have a separate category for "Cordless Desktops" as separate from Desktops?

cybrguy,

Burn

desktops are where its at for me, probably since i do all my vaping at my desk :wave:

portables are a nice diversion/change of pace but i prefer the efficiency/power/durability of desktops. i feel like a good desktop will last a lifetime. most portables have a more disposable feel to them. there are exceptions of course.

i favor convection over conduction most times i vape.... but i like to have both options. portable tech seems to be picking up now while desktop tech/performance has been excellent for a while.

Rab

I wouldn't say they are in decline, just that the vaping scene is pretty rapidly expanding and portable vapes are more in the research stage than desktop vapes, even though there are still some very good ones. There is already a very wide variety of extremely effective desktop vapes and has been for a few years. And There is more room for Research & Development with portables, more new and interesting ideas coming out all the time, more competition etc.

Perhaps in a few years there will be breakthroughs in desktop vapes and the trend will change.
I think as long as there are people who like to stay in one spot for a prolonged period of time there will be great desktop vapes being made. And there will be portable vapes for those who like to stay on the go too.

We are just past the dawn of a wonderful new age :)

lwien

portables are a nice diversion/change of pace but i prefer the efficiency/power/durability of desktops.

I don't think it's accurate to imply that portables can't be as efficient or durable or as powerful as desktops. There are some portables that are more efficient than some desktops as well as more durable than some desktops and some that even rival the power of some desktops.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Should we generally have a separate category for "Cordless Desktops" as separate from Desktops?

After a lot of discussion, the point of division that we chose for FC was whether or not the device needs to be plugged in. This obviously isn't perfect, but there is no ideal classification system. I don't think adding another category would make things any clearer. To the contrary, we'd then have two fuzzy boundaries to argue about instead of one.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Makes sense. It wouldn't hurt to make the Category name "Portable/Cordless" for clarity, but I guess calling the desktop category "Plug Ins" does a similar thing...

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
We already have a category, portable vaporizers. It seems to explain itself. I don't understand what a cordless desktop is? Are we talking about the Mighty and the Crafty? I hope it's OK to mention a particular name because I'm confused, did I miss something in the discussion?

Too many categories is too overwhelming to the individual looking for information.:cool: Some of the older styles that nobody discusses anymore maybe should be weeded out.:2c:

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I don't understand what a cordless desktop is?
The distinction would be a portable (therefore cordless by our definition) that is too big or unwieldy to be stealth. You can certainly walk around the house or yard with it because no cord, but you might be unlikely to use it on the street in non-rec places. Nothing is changing, it was just a thought.

Last edited:
Top Bottom