Are colored flame lighters dangerous?

gb902

Vaporog
Hi, I've just bought an economic torch lighter. It looks nice, but like the most torch lighters, it has a little metal piece at the base of the flame, that makes the flame colored (violet in my case). For example, copper is used to make the flame green.
Now I am wondering if there are some health issues by inhaling this "colored" heat, or maybe the high temps burn all the possible toxic vapors?
Thanks

gb902

Vaporog
Ok, I have modified the lighter (removed the small metal piece). Yesterday I have vaped with the colored flame, and it wasn't good (during longer hits I can feel a bitter awful taste), and my throat doesn't feel so good. Thanks for useful info;)

max

Out to lunch
Blue flame is due to heat. It's the hottest part of the flame. Green flame, I've heard, is due to copper and should be avoided if you're doing heavy duty vaping. If you're using a model that you heat, then hit, like the Vapman, it shouldn't matter as much since you're not inhaling while the flame is on the vape.

max,

Konrad_Zuse

Pretty interesting question, I never thought about it. I have a torch that turns red, any info on that vtac/max?

Konrad_Zuse,

gb902

Vaporog
Konrad_Zuse said:
Pretty interesting question, I never thought about it. I have a torch that turns red, any info on that vtac/max?
Try to remove the metal piece that turns your flame red, so you avoid any trouble.

calcium = red flame
copper, barium = green flame
sodium = yellow flame
potassium = violet flame
boron = dark green flame

They are not so healthy to inhale.

gb902,

bigredox

Professional Chemist since 1998.
My best guess is an iron/nickel alloy containing a little strontium (red color). I'll elaborate if anyone cares.

bigredox,
Top Bottom