Anywhere in the Toronto-area to buy a DBV or SSV locally?

duckdown

optical
Hey folks.

I am looking to buy either a Da Buddah Vaporizer or Silver Surfer Vaporizer since these seem to be the 2 highest regarded whip style vapes of all. I have never owned a vape before.

My local major headshop that I buy all my high end glass from doesn't have either of these two in stock and was recommending the Extreme Vaporizer since it's made in Canada, has a lifetime warranty, and parallels the Volcano in quality (according to them).. However most of the reviews I've read on these forums here have people complaining of it not getting hot enough, and not giving great hauls.

So this brings me to my question: Where can I buy a DBV or SSV locally, here in the GTA? I'm willing to drive about 100 km in any direction just to get it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in advance :) I'd like to go pick it up tonight, while I have the cash, before I spend it elsewhere

Thanks for any speedy responses!

cheers

duckdown,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I have never tried either of the SSV or the DBV, but I own an Extreme and I read the entire thread on the device. Actually there are two threads, and now there's a third for the Q version. I don't recall either of the complaints you say you've found (there might have been one or two) so I'm guessing those claims came from SSV or DBV forums.

My experience, and that of the other Extreme owners I've encountered, is that the Extreme is an excellent vaporizer. I can dial it up to the point where it nearly blackens the herb, way too high for decent vaporizing, so anyone who says it doesn't get hot enough must be interested in combusting. I don't know what they mean by not giving a great haul, perhaps you could elaborate.

I'm not trying to tell you to change your choice, but I am here to say that the Extreme is both an excellent whip vape and an excellent bag vape. Their customer service is as good as it gets. If I were you, and especially if I wanted something today, I'd take advantage of the reduced prices on the Extreme v3 that I've seen around town. Terrific value for the money. There's a reason why nobody stocks the SSV and DBV but everyone carries the Extreme. ;)

pakalolo,

duckdown

optical
This is a very helpful post, thank you. I actually was reading the negative Extreme comments on this forum, one of the most frequent posters (pappy was it?) ended up SELLING his and keeping the DBV/SSV instead so that one was a little concerning.

I do want it today, I think I'm going to inquire about the price now. Whats the big difference for the Q version versus the v3 version?

Thanks man!

duckdown,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
duckdown said:
Whats the big difference for the Q version versus the v3 version?

The Q has a quieter fan and three temperature sensors instead of one. Some of the internal design was changed as well to protect the glass heater cover better. I don't know exact details, I'm just recalling this from what I've read.

To be straight-up, I should tell you that the heater cover is probably the weakest point of the Extreme (they break, $15 part) but most people don't have the problem. I like the looks better too, although I don't see any of the differences being big enough to make buy the Q over the Extreme v3, which I've seen around town for $169. That's a decent price for that machine.

I hope that by now you're thoroughly vaped.

pakalolo,

duckdown

optical
Actually the guy at Liquid Chrome has suddenly stopped replying to my e-mails, and I'm all the way in Brampton so I'm not making a 1 hour drive there just to find out they don't have what I want etc.. I'll call them during business hours tomorrow I guess. Sometimes they are so good at communication and sometimes so bad.

I take it you're in the GTA too -- where did you get the Magic Flight Launch Box? I've been looking for that one too since it's so nice and portable. The guy at Liquid Chrome told me it's just an Iolite ripoff (which they sell) but the Iolite thread has plenty of pissed off users, so I'm guessing that's not true at all

Cheers!

PS: which head shops are you buying at? Where do you see the Extreme around town?

cheers

duckdown,

hereatlast

FWIW the MFLB is far from an Iolite rip-off, completely different designs.

Also, Pappy seems to have boughten an Extreme Q after selling his old unit, the Extreme is hard to beat at what it does.

BTW, is duckdown a reference to the music label or something else? Just curious, I'm a huge fan of most of their catalogue.

hereatlast,

duckdown

optical
When I started using this nickname 10 years ago, it was indeed a reference to Boot Camp, although I don't listen to rap anymore, they were/are still my favorite if I ever went back to listening to rap again.. I'm all about the rock n roll now though.. Rap is a pathetic, pathetic state of affairs now. I'm honestly at a loss for words at how STUPID the lyrics are these days

Back on topic -- Liquid Chrome got back to me and quoted me 300 CDN taxes included for the Extreme Q, newest model.. Seems reasonable, no?

Barring any unforseen complaints I'll be there tomorrow to pick it up. One thing I am a bit confused about is this stupid "elbow packing" that everyone keeps referring to. What is this and why is it necessary? Why doesn't the stock setup work, as-is ?

I was just mentioning their take on the MFLB vs. Iolite, I desperately want an MFLB but cannot find them locally..

cheers and thanks for the response!

duckdown,

Pappy

shmaporist
hereatlast said:

Also, Pappy seems to have boughten an Extreme Q after selling his old unit, the Extreme is hard to beat at what it does.
Confirmed! Rarely a day goes by I don't use both. ;)

Pappy,

duckdown

optical
Pappy said:
hereatlast said:

Confirmed! Rarely a day goes by I don't use both. ;)

Hey there, so you are a fan of your new Extreme Q? I am posed to get one tomorrow morning. I am driving an hour north just to pick it up; but was a little deterred because I read your post about hawking it but keeping the DBV

Thanks for the reply :)

duckdown,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
duckdown said:
Actually the guy at Liquid Chrome has suddenly stopped replying to my e-mails, and I'm all the way in Brampton so I'm not making a 1 hour drive there just to find out they don't have what I want etc.. I'll call them during business hours tomorrow I guess. Sometimes they are so good at communication and sometimes so bad.

I take it you're in the GTA too -- where did you get the Magic Flight Launch Box? I've been looking for that one too since it's so nice and portable. The guy at Liquid Chrome told me it's just an Iolite ripoff (which they sell) but the Iolite thread has plenty of pissed off users, so I'm guessing that's not true at all

Cheers!

PS: which head shops are you buying at? Where do you see the Extreme around town?

cheers

I would immediately stop dealing with someone who made the claim that the MFLB is an Iolite ripoff. Either he's a total dunce and trying to fake it, or he's evil and he'll eventually screw you. Drop him and move on, I say.

Culture Rising on Queen Street in Streetsville carries the Extreme and will have at least the Q in stock. I think the last time I was in there they had the Extreme v3 also for a reduced price, but I might be mixing that up. I think you should be able to do a little better than the $300, too. I'd offer the CR guys $250 if they don't drop the price themselves. Downtown Hogtown I go to Cloud 9 and Earth and Fire, both on Queen West near Spadina.

Believe it or not (I couldn't) no one in the GTA seems to carry the MFLB. I ordered mine from vaporizers.ca which is out of Ottawa. They ship through Canada Post, and every time I've dealt with them the order has arrived the day after it was marked shipped. They usually ship an order within a couple of days of receipt. The only caveat is that someone has to sign for the package, but it's really discreet so no worries if you have to get someone to accept it for you. I recommend the company.

You will find remarkably few pissed-off users in the MFLB thread. By the way, I just finished posting a summary of just about everything you ever wanted to know about the MFLB at http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Magic-Flight_Launch_Box. If you still have a question, let me know.

Oh, and sorry you're not vaped tonight. :(

pakalolo,

duckdown

optical
pakalolo said:
I would immediately stop dealing with someone who made the claim that the MFLB is an Iolite ripoff. Either he's a total dunce and trying to fake it, or he's evil and he'll eventually screw you. Drop him and move on, I say.

Well Liquid Chrome is regarded as the best head shop in all of Ontario to my knowledge, they're the only place with things like the SGW Waffle and SGW Inlines, Roor .de, Toro's, and so on. Very expensive however.. Maybe the guy is just uninformed or trying to make a sale.. I've spent alot of money at that store though and generally been quite happy

Culture Rising on Queen Street in Streetsville carries the Extreme and will have at least the Q in stock. I think the last time I was in there they had the Extreme v3 also for a reduced price, but I might be mixing that up. I think you should be able to do a little better than the $300, too. I'd offer the CR guys $250 if they don't drop the price themselves. Downtown Hogtown I go to Cloud 9 and Earth and Fire, both on Queen West near Spadina.

Holy shit, Streetsville is a 2 minute drive from my house. I literally just came back from there to get Thai take-out food tonight. I had no idea there was a decent bong/vape shop so close to home... I am going to stop in there first before heading to Barrie, to see if they can beat the price on the Extreme Q

Believe it or not (I couldn't) no one in the GTA seems to carry the MFLB. I ordered mine from vaporizers.ca which is out of Ottawa. They ship through Canada Post, and every time I've dealt with them the order has arrived the day after it was marked shipped. They usually ship an order within a couple of days of receipt. The only caveat is that someone has to sign for the package, but it's really discreet so no worries if you have to get someone to accept it for you. I recommend the company.

Ah no worries there, although I do live with the parents still, I keep all my nice glass out on display, they're cool with me smoking dope in the house luckily, even though they don't touch the stuff.. Really wish I could find it locally though. Nothing more irritating than playing the waiting game for something you REALLY want.. I'd be tempted to almost drive to Ottawa to buy it in person, smoke a few joints on the way and maybe spend the night bar hopping there.. Not a bad idea really..

However if anyone DOES know of a place in the GTA with the MFLB *please* do tell. I'd buy it right away.

PS: What did you pay for yours, all in (taxes & delivery), from that website in Ottawa?

You will find remarkably few pissed-off users in the MFLB thread. By the way, I just finished posting a summary of just about everything you ever wanted to know about the MFLB at http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Magic-Flight_Launch_Box. If you still have a question, let me know.

Oh, and sorry you're not vaped tonight. :(

I know, I'm really surprised to see how few complaints there are about it, especially since to be honest I thought it looked pretty god damn cheesy before I started reading all the rave reviews about it. The battery concept looks annoying, to be honest, but hey, I guess if it works then it works. I hope you can use Eneloop batteries with it, since I already have 4 of them

Thanks for all the good info again, really interested to check out the streetsville bong shop.

cheers!

duckdown,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
duckdown: There is no MFLB dealer in the GTA unless they picked it up in the last couple of months. I asked Magic-Flight.

Don't fret, the LB is worth the 3-4 day wait. If I could only have one vaporizer, it would be the LB--and I love my Extreme. I think I paid around $125, shipping and taxes all in. I thought it was a fair price, but my attitude towards my vaporizers is that I'm not interested in spending much time trying to save ten or twenty bucks. My Extreme paid for itself and more before I finished getting through the first oz. That's because I was getting three times or more efficiency with it. The LB is even better.

ETA I forgot to mention that Culture Rising is in the little strip of shops directly across from the Streetsville Shopping Plaza.

pakalolo,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Duckdown; I'll chime in since I own both an Extreme .v3 and an SSV (standard glass, not hands free).

I used the Extreme mostly with bags at first. Purchased in January/10. Used only twice a week since I left it at GF's house to encourage her to start vaping. Until about May, I was using bags. However, when we started camping in better weather, I was taking the Extreme and using it inside of a motorhome in whip mode only (I didn't want to take a bag of vapor anywhere near a fireplace where an errant spark could kill a bag :).....the MFLB went outside).

After using the whip while camping, I found I liked it better than using a bag, and so continued using the Extreme in whip mode when back home. I liked what I perceived of as a fine degree of control over the temperature, and a more repeatable experience. Typically, I would use 0.5g and start out at 140C, hit it 5 times over 20 minutes, stir, increase the temperature 10C and repeat. I would walk the temperature up to 190C over 2 hours and would be very stupid by that time.

In August (23rd?), I managed to pick up an SSV at a local shop and have been using it since. It's not 'better' than the Extreme, but it is different in that I feel it is capable of hitting very hard. As an example, I could load 0.5g into the wand, set the temperature to 3/4 (mine turns on at about 5 oclock and is at maximum at about 2 oclock), and vape myself into oblivion in about 2 minutes. I can definitely go through weed faster with the SSV.

Which do I prefer? Neither.

Which do I use the most? Extreme, about 60%, SSV 40%

What's the worst thing about the Extreme? The small digital display; I have to use reading glasses to operate it, and if you lose or misplace the remote, it's trouble.

What's the worst thing about the SSV I think the cord placement and the way in which it enters the body of the SSV is likely to cause fraying, but hey I've had it less than a month.

What's the best thing about the Extreme? Very fine and repeatable degree of control over the vaping experience.

What's the best thing about the SSV? It can hit phenomenally hard.

There's my 2 cents. Hope it helps make your decision more difficult. :)

Tom

tdavie,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
duckdown: Love to hear how it went before this gets moved to ABV.

tdavie said:
What's the worst thing about the Extreme? The small digital display; I have to use reading glasses to operate it, and if you lose or misplace the remote, it's trouble.

Agreed, I have trouble reading the display at times too. This is my second Extreme and I think they changed displays after I bought my first one. The display on the one I have now doesn't have as much contrast. The little numbers on the bottom telling you how long it's been on are hard for me to read without getting close but that was true on the original as well. Fortunately the numbers I really care about (the temperature setting) are nice and big.

BTW good points about "not better, different".

pakalolo,

duckdown

optical
I made a nice little chunk of change this weekend and placed an order at vaporizers.ca, the owner has been very helpful .. I got the SSV and the MFLB both :)

And my brother is going to grab the Extreme Q so I should have a good variety of new toys to play with this week !! Now the only problem is playing the waiting game!! :)

duckdown,
Top Bottom