Anyone used a Sploofy or Smoke Buddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bounce5

I don't think hello neighbor is better, sorry if the mention made it seem like I was boasting one over the other. I just wanted to add that smoke buddies are restrictive and they personally can exhaust me from all the forced exhales.

That said, I would get a SBJr any day over a hello neighbor for half the price.

I know you probably haven't tried a Sploofy, but hypothetically, do you think you would recommend a Sploofy over the SB, since it seems to be less restrictive, or is it not a big deal?

bounce5,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I know you probably haven't tried a Sploofy, but hypothetically, do you think you would recommend a Sploofy over the SB, since it seems to be less restrictive, or is it not a big deal?
I'm curious, I purchased a Sploofy. Hoping its better to breathe through than the SB. Will be able to confidently answer that next week.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

I agree there is some effort required when exhaling through the SBJr, but the first few uses have very little resistance. As soon as it's used for a session, it starts to become harder to exhale through. However I found this to be a subtle increase until it eventually became almost completely blocked. It is definitely the worst aspect of the device.
The Jr is probably not best suited for frequent use, but is better if used once a week or so.

I would be interested to hear how it compares with the larger models, and with the sploofy.

However I just saw on reddit an easy and cheap solution, putting an inch of liquid soap/shampoo in a drink cup with a lid/straw and exhaling into that... Might not be the quietest method but it apparently works

Last edited:
MoltenTiger,
Reactions: bounce5

lomein07

I bought a SBJr before I knew about the Sploofy (from video review, the Sploofy seems like the better built product).

That said, I like my SBJr. It restricts my exhale enough that I prefer not using it if smell isn't an issue. However if I need smell control I happily turn to my SBJr.

bounce5

I have been using Xhale tubes for the last 4 years, they are amazing, much better than a smoke buddy! http://xhalenow.com/

Interesting. I hadn't heard of these. Now I wonder how they compare to the Sploofy as well. How exactly are they better than the smoke buddy? Is it easier to inhale into them?

bounce5,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Sorry for the double post but my Sploofy came in and it definitely has a much more relaxed exhale than the SmokeBuddys. Obviously I can't speak for long term moisture build up yet but initially it has an easier exhale.

The hole for exhaling is a bit large, comparable to the OG Smokebuddy.

If mods wanted to merge this with my post above I wouldn't be against it.

lomein07

One thing I forgot to mention: the SBJr is the most discreet option if using in secret, being more compact than the Sploofy or Xhale. It can be hidden in your palm thanks to the flatter design.

lomein07,

Morimoto

Nice hope they have fast shipping. One on the way.

I hope you like it! I like them because they are extremely efficient at filtering, sleek and simple design and not plastic, there is an activated carbon pre-filter, then a mass of activated carbon particles, then a cotton ball, so a lot of filtration is happening! Also, I hate the look of smoke buddies and other spoofs, the xhale looks great!

after 2 or 3 months of use, I pull the bottom screen off, and replace the cotton ball that is there. This extends the life of the xhale tube, I get about 6-10 months or more out of 1 tube. YMMV

Last edited:

bounce5

I hope you like it! I like them because they are extremely efficient at filtering, sleek and simple design and not plastic, there is an activated carbon pre-filter, then a mass of activated carbon particles, then a cotton ball, so a lot of filtration is happening! Also, I hate the look of smoke buddies and other spoofs, the xhale looks great!

after 2 or 3 months of use, I pull the bottom screen off, and replace the cotton ball that is there. This extends the life of the xhale tube, I get about 6-10 months or more out of 1 tube. YMMV

How does the exhale resistance compare to the SB? Is it easier to exhale into it?

bounce5,

Morimoto

How does the exhale resistance compare to the SB? Is it easier to exhale into it?

In my opinion it is much easier to exhale through, almost no resistance out of the box, then it builds slowly with use. when it gets restrictive, I remove the cotton ball in the end and shake up the carbon particles inside, put a new cotton ball in, and i'm good to go, like new again! In my experiences the smoke buddy is toast when it's toast, no way to refresh it.

bounce5

In my opinion it is much easier to exhale through, almost no resistance out of the box, then it builds slowly with use. when it gets restrictive, I remove the cotton ball in the end and shake up the carbon particles inside, put a new cotton ball in, and i'm good to go, like new again! In my experiences the smoke buddy is toast when it's toast, no way to refresh it.

I'm sold. Ordered one.

I emailed Sploofy customer service about my concern with mold and they were very nice. They said they would refund me if that happened.

I'm going to try the exhale one though because I like the shape more, it's cheaper, and the ability to change the cotton sounds good.

Last edited:

Socks And Sandals

I really am tired of using the old paper towel rolls and fabric softener because the EVO is a smelly bitch who doesn't care to offend when it comes to odor! :rofl:I researched the Sploofy and the Smoke Buddy just recently last month and decided on the Sploofy over the SB for various reasons. However because I never got around to actually ordering I'm looking at the two other sploofs that were mentioned in this thread.... The Hello Neighbor and this Xhale thing?

Gonna have a looksie and weight the pros and cons myself. For those of you who mentioned the Hello Neighbor and Xhale...

1. How is the resistance?
2. How is the build quality?
3. How's the maintenance?

Really would love to hear some more opinions on these specifically.
Thanks!

Socks And Sandals,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I really am tired of using the old paper towel rolls and fabric softener because the EVO is a smelly bitch who doesn't care to offend when it comes to odor! :rofl:I researched the Sploofy and the Smoke Buddy just recently last month and decided on the Sploofy over the SB for various reasons. However because I never got around to actually ordering I'm looking at the two other sploofs that were mentioned in this thread.... The Hello Neighbor and this Xhale thing?

Gonna have a looksie and weight the pros and cons myself. For those of you who mentioned the Hello Neighbor and Xhale...

1. How is the resistance?
2. How is the build quality?
3. How's the maintenance?

Really would love to hear some more opinions on these specifically.
Thanks!
Hello Neighbor, small and tiny airflow hole but pretty much no resistance. Build quality alright, it's a 5 dollar Chapstick tube with a scented filter all the way through. No maintenance just get a new unit after a month or so based on usage.

You still exhale just as much vapor as if you had no sploof. The Sploofy and SB actually reduce visible exhaled vapor.

paytonpenn,

Morimoto

Hello Neighbor, small and tiny airflow hole but pretty much no resistance. Build quality alright, it's a 5 dollar Chapstick tube with a scented filter all the way through. No maintenance just get a new unit after a month or so based on usage.

You still exhale just as much vapor as if you had no sploof. The Sploofy and SB actually reduce visible exhaled vapor.

AHH now I remember the chapstick type ones!!!! They work excellent for a short time if I recall correctly, perfect for an extremely public area, I would think pen style vapes would pair perfectly with it for stealth in public. My issue with them was that they don't last long and have too much resistance for me, but they have interesting scents like cookies and stuff like that.

I hope folks who are going to try the Xhlae like it! I never looked back at other tubes after I found the xhale. They changed the design of the tube slightly over the years and moved to a non removable screen, BUT it's totally removable, If the bottom screen is embedded into the tube just rip it out with pliers or whatever. Technically the thing is disposable,, you're technically suppose to toss it after it gets restrictive, however, I like to extend the life of things. (the active carbon is not saturated, hence extendable life)

With vapor only, it will last a long time with no pulling cotton or anything.... many times longer than smoke, smoke kills any spoof tube fast. Since I changed to vaping from combustion, I have only bought 1 xhale and that was almost a year ago! I have yet to replace the cotton in it, vapor is much cleaner than smoke.

Morimoto,

shaolinmilk

I have the bigger smoke buddy and the resistance is definitely annoying. Maybe cause I got a bit of moisture in there it clogged up even more. Anywho, when I exhale through the smoke buddy, I exhale hard so it seeps into the filter otherwise it would just leak from the side of my mouth.

shaolinmilk,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
So my Xhale is here and it seems like it has more resistance then the Smokebuddy and Sploofy. It is scented at the end and feels like there are many filters. Vapor does show through unlike the sploofy.

It is smaller in size so its easier to do a soft relaxed exhale. If you try and force air through the xhale faster it is clearly the more restricted item.

I'll give a better comparison in a couple weeks. Otherwise ask any questions if you have them.

paytonpenn,

Morimoto

So my Xhale is here and it seems like it has more resistance then the Smokebuddy and Sploofy. It is scented at the end and feels like there are many filters. Vapor does show through unlike the sploofy.

It is smaller in size so its easier to do a soft relaxed exhale. If you try and force air through the xhale faster it is clearly the more restricted item.

I'll give a better comparison in a couple weeks. Otherwise ask any questions if you have them.

They scent the cotton ball in the end with some essential oils, I like the scent, it reminds me of old school hemp shops.

I'm going to grab another one today, it's been about.........7 months since I've bought the one i'm using now, and I replaced the cotton 1 time when the draw got restrictive after 4-5 months.

I hope it tests well for you, looking forward to your thoughts in a few weeks!

Morimoto,

bounce5

Which is the winner as of now? It sounds like the Sploofy has the least restricted draw.

bounce5,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Which is the winner as of now? It sounds like the Sploofy has the least restricted draw.
They have different styles, the Sploofy you are blowing into (yes, it is less restricted). The XHale you are blowing through (a lot of vapor comes out with a relaxed exhale, blowing into will make you aware of the amount of all filters). With the Sploofy I personally feel like I have to exhale a little bit harder because there is space between my mouth and the actual filter so a soft exhale doesn't feel like its blowing the vapor through well enough. Since the XHale actually lets your vapor pass through you get a good show that its going through, but your lips are on a flat bottom (with a 1/2 inch center hole) versus open hole (1 1/2 inch diameter).

On which one is a personal winner its hard to decide because I can't really tell which filters best yet. The Sploofy has a much more quality look and feel. The Xhale is honestly something you can make yourself if you wanted. It's basically a smaller diameter toilet paper roll with more thickness, green dye, and a chinese looking sticker that would make this the one quality product in a LHS. I do however really like the scent, and feel that is probably its biggest advantage. It has a huge disadvantage in that all your vapor is still blown into the air.

paytonpenn,

bounce5

I recieved and tried the Xhale tube. I do like the scent it has. Smells like cloves. A good headshop scent - reminds me of the 90's. I think they just put a few drops of the scent on the cotton ball at the end of the tube. I removed it just to look at it and confirmed that, then put it back. It's cool you can remove it if you take off the thick plastic screen at the end. Other than that it looks like it has a big layer of activated coal (I believe) and on the mouthpiece it has a small hole and what looks like a filter sponge that keeps the activated coal layer away from your lips.

It looks okay. Like @paytonpenn said, looks like something you could make yourself with the materials- it's just it's in a thicker cardboard tube, with a thinner size, than you could easily find.

It does show all the vapor when you blow through it, which is a huge disadvantage to the other sploofs on the market (Sploofy and Smokebuddy). But it did cover up the smell pretty well. I would just use it in your room, but not in a car or in public. It isn't super easy to exhale into either. It'll do for now though.

I think I'll try the Sploofy or Smoke Buddy Jr. next time. Would like to have something that makes the Vapor disappear and takes aways the smell.

@paytonpenn Can you just exhale into the Sploofy replacement cartridge? Is the mouthpiece necessary? Which of the sploofs would be best for use in a car or a movie (not that I condone doing that)?

Last edited:

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
@paytonpenn Can you just exhale into the Sploofy replacement cartridge? Is the mouthpiece necessary? Which of the sploofs would be best for use in a car or a movie (not that I condone doing that)?
If you can expand your mouth about 2 and a quarter inches then you could just use the replacement, I tried and it hurts my lips stretching out that wide. But I guess a really big guy might be able to accomplish it. But you will have the issue of trying to seal it well. Mouthpiece is kind of necessary for comfort. I personally think the mouthpiece is wider than I'd like.

The Sploofy is the best for movie usage, I actually prefer the XHale in the car because of the scent, I can just roll the windows down real quick to make it less hazy.

paytonpenn,

bounce5

Took another look at the Xhale tube. Some of the scent gets sort of backwashed into my mouth, don't like that. I look forward to the scent dissipating. Also, it makes me wonder if it's safe. I doubt it's a natural scent and I've seen bottles of aromatherapy that say "avoid contact with skin" on the bottle. I sent the company an email asking what they use to scent it and if it's safe. Hopefully, they'll respond.

I took it apart completely. Inside there are three different layers. The sponge by the mouthpiece (about 3/4 inch), mostly activated charcoal - mini briquette style, and the cotton ball (just a regular joe cotton ball). I took off 2/3 of the cotton ball and that improved the draw on it a bit. I like that you could replace anything in there. It's all held together by the sticker.

Thanks @paytonpenn. Sounds like I would need the mouthpiece.
Do you still like the smokebuddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom