• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Anyone try ABV Butter using a Mota Pot?

Krazy

Coconut oil for the win as far as my usage goes. Once you get the timing down the fact that 76f is the liquid/solid temp makes it very easy to work with. It also lasts much better than olive oil or butter.

Krazy,

ilsasta

I'd just be terrified to boil oil and have the thing explode in my face :ugh:
As long as you keep the oil level lower than the safety valve, you "should" be safe. Just stay away from the espresso coffee maker (that's what I will do once I can make some butter :nod:).
Anyway, just went through all the thread, and decided that will make some butter (for the first time) once I will get enough ABV. Thanks to all for sharing, and keep this posted updated.
:peace:

ilsasta,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I finally had a chance to try the abv/coconut oil I made a while back. Originally I put 1 T. in some hot chocolate and was disappointed in the results. I really didn't feel much. Last night I thought I'd give it another try and doubled the dose. Big difference. After about an hour, I could feel a mellow buzz that lasted until I fell asleep four hours later. Had a really nice night's sleep too.

So I'd say this method is a success. Don't know that I'd use the abv/coconut oil for cooking, but it's a nice additive to a warm drink. I'm glad to have found a quick way to use my abv with good results.

SamsCola

Hello there everyone! Hope someone here can please guide me on where I went wrong and/or if I have wasted my ABV for this batch. Heres the story:

I've used this guide before to make some chocolate topping for a non bake treat. The butter came out decent enough, but lacked potency when spread about so many treats, so I would have to eat an unhealthy and filling amount of treats to feel any effects. So this time i decided to try coconut oil, and something didn't go right.

Ingredients:

• 2 grams of ABV
  • 1 1/4 tablespoon of coconut oil
  • 1/3rd cup water
It looks like none of the oil came through during the infusing and all stayed in the bottom portion. The jar on the right is what was in the top section of the pot. The left jar has the oil that was in the bottom part (minus some water that also remained that I drained into another container). The right jar is very much liquid, and looked almost identical to the water that was previously underneath the coconut oil.

Two_Jars.jpg

It looks to me that the abv and the water simply mixed together while the oil just stayed pure. This is all I can come up with as to what caused it to do this.:

1. Too little oil
  2. Took off burner slightly too soon
  3. Too much water
  4. Too little abv (last time I used three grams, My moka pot holds about 3.5-4 g).

I'd love to learn from this mistake if anyone knows where I went wrong.

Also, is there a way to save this batch, or did I miss something and will this watery concoction will actually get me high? Perhaps distill the water and collect whats left, kind of like a resin? Boil the mixture with some milk or something in an attempt to bind the thc to the fat and leech it from the water?

Thanks and take care.

SamsCola,

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
Toss it. Looks like you didn't let it run long or high enough.

2g doesn't seem like it's really enough either. You need to pack the chamber full and get a nice puck.

beiberhole69,
Reactions: VegNVape

Krazy

+1 to above post.

Espresso makers are designed to be used with the coffee/AVB chamber packed full. Did you do a test run making expresso? Or perhaps do an oil/water run using tea leaves so that you are not using bud on your learning curve.

I would also question your oil to water ratio. Perhaps that was done to try and adjust for a very small amount of bud being used? If you plan on doing super small batches maybe try a one cup version?
https://www.amazon.com/CucinaPro-27...=1475821475&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=1+cup&psc=1

Krazy,

ilsasta

Hi guys, I've decided to make some cannabutter for the first time using an espresso maker. I'm aware now that the chamber would need to be full(that's the way I make coffee with it), I'm just not sure what would be the ratio in case I would like to use some coconut oil. Is 50:50 ok or I would need to use more coconut than water? I just want to make sure not to waste my precious abv.:bang:

ilsasta,
Reactions: VegNVape

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Hey @ilsasta :) Use whatever ratio you like.

More water means less butter, so your end product will turn out more potent than if you used more butter & less water. Get it?

So as long as you have butter and water up to the fill level in the bottom chamber of your pot, you'll be good to go.

You probably will need to experiment somewhat with quantities to get the dosing right. But yeah, you can start with a 50/50 ratio if you like, and then you can adjust it if required, as you gain experience.

ilsasta

@VegNVape thanks for your help. I understand now that the less butter/coconut oil you use, the more concentrate and strong will be the final product.
In case I will use butter, do I need to melt it in the water first before putting it into the chamber? Or I can just throw in the stick and then add cold water?
And last question: do you suggest me to decarb first? I know that decarboxylation happens when vaping, but I've heard that some people do it before making butter and this makes it even more potent.
As I don't produce loads of ABV, I wouldn't like to end up with useless butter.

Last edited:

ilsasta

Here is the final result
h9AEcL3.jpg

The colour seems pretty good.
I've used 5.5g of abv(all I had) and 80g of butter in the espresso maker.
Took 3 hours to solidify in the fridge, and was very easy to remove the water. Will try on some pasta later and let you know about the potency. So excited

ilsasta

The final product was nearly 60g of butter.
My lady used 20g to prepare some delicious pasta, and it sent us to space(we're still flying).
Definitely the way to use my abv, as you can cook anything with butter and this helps a lot on masking the ABV taste.

ice005

Hi guys sorry if I missed it... seems popular size is the 4 or 6 cup... has anyone tried using a 9 cup like this?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B001J1L58K/

Just concerned that since it's bigger than 6 cup it won't have as much pressure bars?

(As an aside I've never used a stovetop maker before AND I'm a newbie and never used my AVB... just tend to throw it out before)

Thanks in advance for any advice

ice005,
Reactions: Squiby

MinnBobber

Just concerned that since it's bigger than 6 cup it won't have as much pressure bars?

(As an aside I've never used a stovetop maker before AND I'm a newbie and never used my AVB... just tend to throw it out before)
I have a 6 cup, but that's 6 espresso cups @ 1.5 oz each so the 6 cup is 9 fluid oz total.
The 9 cup should produce the same results but bear in mind the process requires a full, tamped down load of herb or coffee grounds.
Do you have enough ABV to need the bigger 9 cup model?

I lost my notes of how much the basket holds :(
My basket even has a reducer piece I used which cuts basket size in half.
I'm guessing the half basket held 4 grams of ABV, which I then ground finer in a mortar and pestle. It needs to be fine ground like an espresso coffee grind (the finest grind).

IMO, 6 cup is a nice size unless you are wanting to do big amounts of ABV at one time

ice005

I have a 6 cup, but that's 6 espresso cups @ 1.5 oz each so the 6 cup is 9 fluid oz total.
The 9 cup should produce the same results but bear in mind the process requires a full, tamped down load of herb or coffee grounds.
Do you have enough ABV to need the bigger 9 cup model?
I'm guessing the half basket held 4 grams of ABV, which I then ground finer in a mortar and pestle.

It needs to be fine ground like an espresso coffee grind (the finest grind).

Thank you for the response!
I have about 30g of ABV

Further question on the grind:

I'm not a coffee drinker (I'll buy a cheap coffee grinder tomorrow - for that do I just set to the finest ?)

Is this considered coarse?
http://imgur.com/YEqqsT8

ice005,

MinnBobber

I'm not a coffee drinker (I'll buy a cheap coffee grinder tomorrow - for that do I just set to the finest ?)
..........................................................................................

An alternative to buying a cheap coffee grinder for consideration:
in a medium size mixing bowl, put in small amounts of ABV and then take a silverware tablespoon (bigger spoon) and use that rounded bottom to roll/ squish/ grind the ABV into very fine bits. It is super dry to start with so it grinds down easily.
My ABV started as med fine and when powdered, the volume went down by 1/3.

Fine ABV then goes in basket and gets tamped down with spoon or whatever to offer more resistance as water/oil flows thru the pack.
Basket needs to be full, partial loads don't work properly

MinnBobber,
Reactions: Squiby

ice005

..........................................................................................

My ABV started as med fine and when powdered, the volume went down by 1/3.

Fine ABV then goes in basket and gets tamped down with spoon or whatever to offer more resistance as water/oil flows thru the pack.
Basket needs to be full, partial loads don't work properly

My abv in the link above, would that be like your medium fine or it's considered coarse?

MinnBobber

My abv in the link above, would that be like your medium fine or it's considered coarse?
It's hard for me to tell the size of your grind due to "context"---is that a huge pan or tiny pan, etc?
For example, ground herb next to a dime or penny gives a size context.
I'd generally label as medium grind ??

And whatever size it is, it needs to be pulverized for best performance in mota pot.
Mota pot uses espresso grind coffee and that is the finest of all grinds, like a powder.

MinnBobber,

ice005

And whatever size it is, it needs to be pulverized for best performance in mota pot.
Mota pot uses espresso grind coffee and that is the finest of all grinds, like a powder

I'll follow your advice RE finest grind... I don't know how long it would take me to do the spoon grinding option :lol:

MinnBobber

I'll follow your advice RE finest grind... I don't know how long it would take me to do the spoon grinding option :lol:
Before I realized I had the right tool for the job, an antique mortar and pestle from great great grandparents, using the spoon grind technique, I pulverized 4 grams of ABV in about 5 minutes.
It goes real quick as the ABV is really dry and crumbly.

All my ABV has been wrung out at 440 F so it is really dry. What temp do you finish vaping at?
If vaped at lower temp, it might not be quite as crumbly as mine but still should pulverize easily/quickly.
Report back how it goes.

MinnBobber,

ice005

What temp do you finish vaping at?
If vaped at lower temp, it might not be quite as crumbly as mine but still should pulverize easily/quickly.
Report back how it goes.

I tend to vape on the volcano around 6 to 6.5 on the classic... so about 190-195 degree Celsius or 374-385 degree Fahrenheit...

Bought the butter tonight, going to forage for a mortar and pestle I know must be lying around and buying the moka machine tomorrow

MinnBobber

I tend to vape on the volcano around 6 to 6.5 on the classic... so about 190-195 degree Celsius or 374-385 degree Fahrenheit...
.............................................................................................................................
your ABV should have a lot of goodies left, compared to mine vaped at 440 F :)

MinnBobber,

Krazy

I would think one of the finer levels on a multi screen herb grinder would work. Any kind of decarbed bud should be dry and brittle enough to improvise a mortar and pestle grind.

Never mind, MinnBobber ninja'd me!

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art
I've finally accumulated enough AVB to give this method a try. I've decided to use coconut oil for infusion, and also sunflower lecithin. I'm guessing that I would cool down the brew to separate the oil from the water, then remelt the oil and add the lecithin -- is this correct? I searched the forum but didn't find an answer to this, only that if you add it in the original mix, the oil and water won't separate properly.

nickdanger,
Top Bottom