• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Anyone try ABV Butter using a Mota Pot?

Solomon

Talk to the Beard
As suggested here, I tried coconut oil instead of butter in the espresso maker and it worked great! Unlike the butter, which has milk solids and water, the coconut oil is super clean. I just put in about a 1/2 cup, an 1/8 cup water, and it infused perfectly. The end result was very smooth and clean, and there was almost no "waste" after the oil re-solidified.

This time I blended it with a 15oz bar of Lindz Dark with Chili, and about 5oz of 72% Dark. The final blend was silky smooth and creamy. Made 30 chocolate hearts from about 10g of ABV. One piece for a mild relaxing effect, 2 for pain management. The faint chili spice really worked well with the herbaceous ABV.

Last edited:

lazylightning

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Made another batch of coconut oil in the Bialetti moka pot yesterday. I used a full 1 oz of 25% THC indica hybrid flower and 5 oz of coconut oil. The oil was even stronger then anticipated and certainly as strong as the same ratio of flower to oil in the Magical Butter machine.

The yield was twenty 1.5 teaspoon doses that contain roughly 350mg of THC each. This is a pretty hefty dose even for regular cannabis oil consumers.

I'm getting to really like making small batches of cannabis coconut oil in the moka pot. It's quick and easy and seems just as potent as the oil that cooks for 4-8 hours.

Solomon

Talk to the Beard
This time I blended it with a 15oz bar of Lindz Dark with Chili, and about 5oz of 72% Dark. The final blend was silky smooth and creamy. Made 30 chocolate hearts from about 10g of ABV. One piece for a mild relaxing effect, 2 for pain management. The faint chili spice really worked well with the herbaceous ABV.

Not sure what I was thinking, but that's a 3.5oz bar and not a 15oz bar, jeez

Your recipe is perfect! Almost exactly what I do.

The only change I've made is I no longer use a dbl-boiler to mix the chocolate with the cocobudder. I just put the infused coconut oil and chocolate into a glass measuring cup and slowly microwave it, stirring well ever 20 seconds or so. In less than a few mins, it's all blended and ready to be poured into molds. It basically saved me from having to use extra pots and pans, and chocolate is already in the container I use for pouring into the molds (so less waste).

I've also now done this with bud (after decarbing) and wax reclaim (which just dissolves into hot coconut oil - no espresso pot needed), - all with fantastic results.

I also just read something interesting about pot eatables and how the body processes them. Basically, infusing fat works much better than a non-fat based infusion (such as an alcohol tincture) because the body has to break down the fats throughout the digestive process. With a non-fat eatable, 80-90% of the active chemicals are quickly eliminated through the kidneys. So infusing butter or coco-oil provides higher absorption over a longer period of time.

Gregori

CannaBoss
Good point @Solomon never thaught about it that way. I'll let it know to a friend of mine who's making his own cannalcohol.

Gregori,

Haunts

So i'm new to making edibles and have a few questions. I'm thinking of purchasing one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-El...51987918&sr=8-2&keywords=4+cup+espresso+maker i think its the same as the one lazy uses earlier in this thread.

1. I wanna try and keep it a simple as possible, so can i just buy a premix like this http://bettycrocker.co.uk/products/chocolate-chip-cookie-mix/ and replace the oil with infused oil?

2. Does it have to be coconut oil like i've seen made earlier in this thread?

Haunts,
Reactions: VegNVape

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Hey @Haunts :wave:

Yep, the Bialetti's are fine, they are what I use & I have had great success with them. It's so damn easy!

However, I would recommend going for the 6-cup model as you will probably want as much room in it for your good stuff as possible. And while the 6-cup is still pretty small, it is of a much more useable size & is not particularly any more expensive when compared to the 4-cup model that you have listed.

Check out the 6-cup Bialetti here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...etti+6+cup&dpPl=1&dpID=41xgIaQzFTL&ref=plSrch

Yes, you can use a Betty Crocker ready mix if you wish but I think you will probably move on . . .

And in answer to your final question - no. No, you do not need to use coconut butter, use whatever fatty carrier you desire. Some are obviously better than others, but it is really good to experiment on your own & find out what works best for you.

Good luck, & get creative.

:D

Bon appétit!

:peace:

Haunts

Thanks for the help, i've got my Bialetti now and my ingredients. Do i need to melt the coconut oil before i put it in the bottom?

Haunts,

SteamfunQ

Personally speaking i melt the coconut oil into hot water before loading the pot. If you have a measuring jug check the amount of liquid your pot can hold before loading it up, could save you some overspill and mess!
I learned this twice the messy way lol

SteamfunQ,

Haunts

Ok cool, now my cookie mix says to use 65ml of oil. Can I just infuse 65ml of coconut oil through the moka pot or will that be too potent?

Haunts,

lazylightning

Ok cool, now my cookie mix says to use 65ml of oil. Can I just infuse 65ml of coconut oil through the moka pot or will that be too potent?

I wouldn't be that concerned about it being too potent. I'd want to be sure there was enough oil to absorb all the THC though. I'm not sure how much oil to flower is best but I've been using 4 oz of oil (about 120 ml) to 1 ounce of flower in my Bialetti moka pot. I've done about 10 batches that way and it usually takes me 2 teaspoons of oil for a very strong effect. I also use ~25% THC flower to make sure it's potent enough.

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
I'm not sure how much oil to flower is best but I've been using 4 oz of oil (about 120 ml) to 1 ounce of flower in my Bialetti moka pot. I've done about 10 batches that way and it usually takes me 2 teaspoons of oil for a very strong effect. I also use ~25% THC flower to make sure it's potent enough.
Ahh yes but I thought we were talking about ABV in this particular thread, not flower?

So the chances are that however much ABV can be squeezed into the pot will be fine as almost all of the remaining actives will likely be extracted as long as there is some saturated fat in there too.

But WOW! Your oil DOES sound potent!
An oz of fresh 25% THC flower infused into the equivalent of just over a stick of butter?!! Whoa :whoa:
Can I just infuse 65ml of coconut oil through the moka pot or will that be too potent?
This is an open ended question with many variables.

You mention 65ml of oil but you have not told us how much ABV (or flower) you intend to infuse into it.

Also, potency will depend on the strain used, as well as the level of extraction already achieved through your vaporizer - if you are using ABV.

You really just need to set aside some time & experiment to get your dosage right.

And it's probably best not to do it in the morning if you have any other plans that you wish to keep that day :myday:

I personally started playing around with about half a stick (very roughly 60ml or 57g) of coconut oil to about 24 grams of ABV (which is about as much ABV as I could fit into the pot).

I then worked my way up, adding more water & less coconut oil to try to get the titration juuust right.

But everyone is different.

Good luck & have fun! :science:

PËÅÇÊ!
:peace:

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
man, really want to grab that 12 dollar moka on amazon but I think it might be too small for my gas stove. Looks like the diameter is 4 inches. Guess I'll measure :/

beiberhole69,

SteamfunQ

You may need an 'espresso stove stand' its a metal x shape, that you just pop on your stove, but it may still help to take some measurements your self:) After having a look i think the correct name for it is a 'stove top trivet'

SteamfunQ,

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
Alright... so I guess I could use some advice.

I did a moka pot of about 7.5 grams and 3oz coconut oil and 4 oz water

I might've rushed it because it sounded like it was done... but when I opened up the bottom to clean, there was still a little oil/water left in the bottom.

But anyway, I poured what I got into a bowl and stuck it in the freezer.

I'm not much of a cook so I was figuring I'd get a brownie box mix or something and chuck it in with that at some point. I got some lecithin to put in it too that should be coming today.

So I guess my question is... how do I get my oil out of the bowl once the water is froze? just pour it off the top?

and then when should I mix with my brownie mix... or is there a specific kind to get? IDK man, I cook cereal and sandwiches, so I'm cluless on that stuff.

beiberhole69,

lazylightning

Alright... so I guess I could use some advice.

I did a moka pot of about 7.5 grams and 3oz coconut oil and 4 oz water

I might've rushed it because it sounded like it was done... but when I opened up the bottom to clean, there was still a little oil/water left in the bottom.

But anyway, I poured what I got into a bowl and stuck it in the freezer.

I'm not much of a cook so I was figuring I'd get a brownie box mix or something and chuck it in with that at some point. I got some lecithin to put in it too that should be coming today.

So I guess my question is... how do I get my oil out of the bowl once the water is froze? just pour it off the top?

and then when should I mix with my brownie mix... or is there a specific kind to get? IDK man, I cook cereal and sandwiches, so I'm cluless on that stuff.

I'd put your bowl in the refrigerator instead of freezer. The oil will all float to the top and solidify in the fridge. Then you can just lift the solid oil off the water.

To get an idea of how potent your oil is, you could try stirring 1 or 2 teaspoons of oil into a hot beverage like hot cocoa or chai tea.

I'm not sure how big your moka pot is, but I think the filter should be full so it works properly. You want the pressure to build and force the oil through the puck of cannabis in the filter. If there is too little cannabis in the filter, I'd think the oil would rush through it without enough time for the THC to fully bind to the oil.

lazylightning,

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
Yea, filter was full... and I popped it in the freezer and same thing happened. Had to put in the fridge to help get it to separate easier though.

Storing it back in the freezer for now until I have a chance to get some stuff for cooking tomorrow

beiberhole69,

michaelstone

Hello, I just bought a six cup espresso maker to try this but would appreciate any advice. I have around 18-20g of abv from my solo, all vaped at 4 or 5. Seems like 4oz oil and 4 oz water is the norm, correct? I plan on using it for chocolates after.

michaelstone,

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
Hello, I just bought a six cup espresso maker to try this but would appreciate any advice. I have around 18-20g of abv from my solo, all vaped at 4 or 5. Seems like 4oz oil and 4 oz water is the norm, correct? I plan on using it for chocolates after.

I've got a tip. Let the pot cool down a bit before pouring and don't put the hot ass pot on your counter, it will burn a ring there. That's just kind of common sense for most probably though. And on that note, cooking when you're already heavily medicated prob isn't the best of ideas.

It's real simple though. Might have to do two batches to do all 20g.

michaelstone

Ok well this is how it turned out. I haven't tried it yet.

xuOKzkYh.jpg

michaelstone

Would a fondue work for melting the chocolate and coconut oil together? One made for it clearly.

michaelstone,

BadDog No

You guys have me convinced. It's just a matter of pulling the trigger on any of a dozen suitable candidates on my Amazon wish list or bailing out and walking across the park and picking up a classic 6 cup aluminum Bialetti at Target. This is game changing if it's anywhere near as easy and nearly foolproof as you good folks describe. Can you imagine the first person to invent this? Sitting around a smelly kitchen in the middle of a multihour butter/ABV stew drinking coffee not looking forward to multiple strains and filters thinking to themselves "Man there's gotta be a better way to do this. If only there were some cheap easy way to do a vacum extraction". ;) I know I'm a little overenthusiated from preparing higrade ABV for my upcoming culinary adventure, but I really see this method quickly becoming the norm and bringing easy prep home "edibles" to everyone. The beauty of the coconut oil is versatility. I can't wait to try this, but I'm also not going to brave Target's Saturday afternoon crowds. Guess I'll go lightly decarboxylate some more buds in the Firefly while I drool over my Amazon wish list. :lol:

BadDog No

So I know back to back posts are frowned on, but I have new content. Gratification delayed is gratification denied. So yes, unable to wait the day or two for Amazon to ship me a superior product at a lower price, I instead hike over to Target and buy a classic Bialetti 6 cup Moka Express. A little overpriced, but how bad can the standard be?
Not bad at all it turns out. Oh I'm sure the coffee is terrible but I didn't buy it for that...:lol:
Quick trip to Whole Paycheck for some virgin coconut oil. a quick warm up and dry (actually hot and steamy)run and off we go. Of course I had to use some detergent to get some grease off the funnel so I've already broken the first rule of Bialetti: use only water to clean.
So I guesstimate half full with hot tap water and add enough chunks of oil to almost fill to the pressure valve. It's probably best to liquify if you want exact measurements but I didn't bother. I had the stove set to low and eventually kicked it closer to medium to start the "gurgling". Deliteful but light smell of coconut and a potent looking brown broth spewing into the upper chamber. Oh it took a lot of ABV.
Naturally the pouring off had it's comedic moment as I realized the chosen cup was too small. :\
So a cold water bath for cool down and then a transfer to a storage container where the oil/watery sludge separation will take place. Tried the fridege; too slow. It's in the freezer as I post and layering up. Can't try it tonight though since I'm already medicated. :lol:

BadDog No

Another day another adventure in the kitchen. Turns out that if you have a decent stash of ABV it takes awhile to process it. I've run 6 or 8 loads and i'm about maybe a quarter through my stash (unless I find another jar somewhere). Tried a tablespoon of single extraction with some peanut butter for breakfast. Pretty mild reaction but I got a slight buzz after an hour or so. Did some more extracting reusing the coconut oil once it had separated in the fridge. More medicated all afternoon with a double or triple extraction. Another tablespoon or so mixed into some hot chocolate. Not a bad taste at all and a little more of a body buzz. I need to use some ABV that hasn't already been vaped 3 or 4 times and compare. Still, very pleasant at about the 2 to 3 hour mark. Did I make myself another hot cocoa after supper? You betcha! It's going to take several more days to process my ABV, and another jar of oil. What I have now is pretty nice the way it is. Not sure I want much stronger. I haven't hit a vaporizer all day in the interest of scientific neutrality. Translation: I'm out of weed. :lol: So yes this whole experiment is a success. Maybe knowing what I do now I would have gotten a big 12 cup pot to speed things along. Still, the 6 does a decent job and once I catch up I don't see me doing this more than once a month or so. Does feel good to be doing something useful with my ABV. As always of course, your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom