Anyone tried activated carbon / charcoal alone in a bong (without water)?

jodasty

Anyone tried using activated carbon alone as the filter (no water, ashcatcher, whatever else) in a bong, bubbler, steamroller?

I'm reading such good things about the stuff, and water doesn't really filter much anyway (seems the only study done on it, by NORML, said the water only filters out a little bit of bad stuff, and also takes out THC).

I'm looking into nice-ish bongs, but considering getting a cheap bong or steamroller and putting activated carbon in it instead of water.

jodasty,

Unconnected

i would be weary because without water you may inhale coal dust particles which are very bad for your lungs. I would just use a tiny bit of water, it wont affect drag much or thc levels and will prevent coal dust from being an issue. I know that you wash it first but still i would want water too.

Unconnected,
Reactions: syrupy

jodasty

That's interesting, because some people put extra AC at the top of the bong too, right before inhaling. I think there are even special bongs and attachments for doing this.

I'll have to check it out; you've got me concerned!

jodasty,

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
I've used activate carbon via a GonG between the slide and the downstem on water pipes. They work, and improved the taste IMO. Not sure what the no-water stance is about. A well used water pipe run dry or wet can get nasty. If you have to run the setup dry, I'd put some organic cotton in the vapor path, after the carbon, to catch any dust.

syrupy,
Top Bottom