Anyone remember Bubble Bobble ?

McNerdius

god of nerds
If you remember bubble bobble and are even remotely creative, you may be able to help :) I'll save most of the details for later, but if you remember the general premise & gameplay & graphics whatnot - drop a line in here. Im looking for an idea to use as a jumping off point for a silly, but also significant project that i'm starting soon. (edit: i remember it well - the '88 taito NES one, that is - not that it matters, the '88 graphics will be used, all else is moot.)

I always feel weird making these kinds of posts - sometimes i post something i assume EVERYONE has heard of and the response is "wtf ?" (ex: mega man, recently.) Bubble Bobble is surely less known than mega man, and yet i have a feeling i'm going to have more luck than the "wtf is mega man" reaction i recently got elsewhere (totally different context, too, just coincidental.)

I also feel silly making this one of my first return-posts after my little "shit vacation" of divorce & moving & all. BUT - it's a cool project, as silly as it may seem. You'll see ;)

McNerdius,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I played only Bubble Booble Nostalgies, or how it was called. Some remake, but I think the game mechanics were the same. Original idea for a game. I like originality in games - programming allows us to make EVERYTHING, so why we keep on making expensive realistic games where you do the same thing over and over again. I've lost my faith in mainstream games a long time ago, only few have renewed it, like Portal 2 etc. I am glad that the originality didn't die. That there are still talented original programmers who screw ultra-realistic graphics for ridiculous money and do what game-development was in the first place. For me, it's much more enjoyment to play an original "indie" game that doesn't even have to resemble reality, but it's fun! Not like being brainless sheep that shoot people again and again the same way and stops thinking that games can be way different. But you know, remaking a succefull game is soooo easier than inventing a new one. More money, less ideas, that's what they aim for these days seems like.

Seek,

McNerdius

god of nerds
This is why i haven't bought (or otherwise acquired) a game in what seems like ages. In fact, i think portal 2 is my newest game. While i do like some shooters (half life set being my most recent of that genre) - i can't stand the direction those and most others have taken. For me, gaming is more like TV in that for the most part it isn't a social thing, it's a chill out & relax time. But, online multiplayer is pretty much a requirement nowadays. Which i detest in it's current form. Give me some good old fashioned single player - and please, don't make single player be an afterthought tossed in to make it seem like a more "complete" game.

Ok i'm done ranting. None of that applied to bubble bobble in any way really, except i suppose to repeat that indeed, as old as it is, it's originality exceeds that of a good chunk of modern games which tend to be nothing more than a different tool to beat the same horse with. I think that analogy works... I'm a wee bit off today.

McNerdius,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Dude, this post so reminded me of the 'Wreck It Ralph' movie that is coming out here in the coming months.

Talk about a serious blast from the past (for those of us old enough to remember it) :D

AGBeer,

McNerdius

god of nerds
Dude, this post so reminded me of the 'Wreck It Ralph' movie that is coming out here in the coming months.

Talk about a serious blast from the past (for those of us old enough to remember it) :D

Whoa - that reminded me of one of my favorites when i was a kid - RAMPAGE !

Ok, about the movie: Would it be weird if i got really fucking blazed and made that my first movie here in this new city of mine ?

Also, it's quite the trip that movie exists and we're here rambling about old vs new games... Obviously... whatever, i just accidentally hugely combusted three fat chamber's worth and boy that can fuuuuuuuuuck a fella up who ain't used to it. I'm such a smoke-pussy... /ramble

McNerdius,
Top Bottom