Anyone own a parrot?

nucleo

I just got a african gray, and i was just wondering if anyone has fed some weed along with the seeds to their bird and what effects it might have.

I know the seeds alone won't do anything, but i'm talking about the whole thing.

nucleo,

SD_haze

I am very certain I have heard that blowing cannabis smoke at birds is really bad for them.
So I dont know if that translates to FEEDING them weed, but it probably isnt the best idea.

Im sure he/she'd love some hemp seeds :p

SD_haze,

Carbon

I have a parrot that my parents bought much to my dismay. Apparently bird lungs are very sensitive, so I'd be careful. Also make sure you don't overheat a non-stick pan in the same room as your bird as it can quickly kill it (it's probably not terribly healthy for you either if it can kill the bird in seconds).

Carbon,
Reactions: Hexi

gobbly

I've owned many parrots, from quakers to eclectus (including a grey), and can tell you with certainty that getting them high isn't inherently bad (not to say that it's good either, or that no bird could have an averse reaction, but it is certainly not generally toxic to birds or any other animal for that matter).

Eating is quite different. In fact, uncooked bud will make animals (humans included) sick, and in excess could kill them. Bud contains rigid silicate structures that will act like spears in your digestive track, it can cut up your insides kinda like glass. Cooking the bud breaks down those silicate structures and makes it safe to eat.

Almost everything about birds is more delicate than other animals, but at the same time, they aren't like fine china. For instance, many a bird has lived (relatively) long lives in homes with cigarette smokers. Not to say it was good for them, but other than the rare freak occurance (remember the kid in the 80's that died from doing coke once?) you're not going to see your bird croaking from your second hand vapor :)

Good to ask though, as pointed out, things you might not think are problematic, are. Like the oxidization from teflon, or avacado...

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
I have a beautiful 3 year old cockateil, she is such a sweetheart and love to be pet, and cuddle. Never tried to give her any kind of marijuana based meals or anything, I know they put hempseed in a TON of bird foods though, its very very nutritious.

PhishCactus,

bcleez

My friend has a cockatoo - be careful those birds can live to be up to 100 years old. A 50 -70 year old bird is not out of the ordinary. He put in his will what will happen to the bird if he dies first.

Be prepared to have that bird a very long time.

bcleez,

gobbly

bcleez said:
My friend has a cockatoo - be careful those birds can live to be up to 100 years old. A 50 -70 year old bird is not out of the ordinary. He put in his will what will happen to the bird if he dies first.

Be prepared to have that bird a very long time.

You'd be surprised how few actually live that long in captivity. A larger parrot that can live 80 years, will likely not live past 40 in captivity, though it really depends on a lot of factors like diet, and care. Either way though, it's a bit more to take on than picking up a family dog :)

Edit: I will point out that this has been improving slowly, primarily because in the past 15 years the dietary requirements for parrots have been much better understood by the general public. Still plenty of people who think parrots primary diet is seed though :(

gobbly,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
That reminds me of this story we looked at for a philosophy module where Alexander von Humboldt, possibly the greatest ever naturalist/botanist, learned a dead language from a parrot. Fascinating stuff.

See here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/parrots-speak-lost-rainforest-tongue-721627.html

Also had to write a very interesting essay on the subject of whether or not animals (in this case a parrot called Chiapa) should be allowed to be used as witnesses in court, and the larger, connected issues of whether animals think/feel at all etc. Was based on this example created by the Texas University philosophy department, see here: http://colinallen.dnsalias.org/tamu/papers/parrot.html
-A bit long so only read if you're genuinely interested!-

wilf789,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
I have an english parakeet and haven't tried giving him bud. I wanna blow a little vapor towards his way, but is this a bad idea? I want to just test and see

Elluzion,

tbill

I have an english parakeet and haven't tried giving him bud. I wanna blow a little vapor towards his way, but is this a bad idea? I want to just test and see

I have owned parrots for 30 years (2 Eclectus, Yellow Nape, Panama Amazon and an African Grey) and I must say it DISGUSTS me to think of anyone intentionally blowing smoke or vapor towards these beautiful creatures. Even though the vapor won't be as harmful as smoke, it's like trying to get a 3 year old child purposely high. Terrible!

Last edited:

Hexi

I have owned parrots for 30 years (2 Eclectus, Yellow Nape, Panama Amazon and an African Grey) and I must say it DISGUSTS me to think of anyone intentionally blowing smoke or vapor towards these beautiful creatures. Even though the vapor won't be as harmful as smoke, it's like trying to get a 3 year old child purposely high. Terrible!

This. It's straight animal abuse.

Top Bottom