Anyone here familiar with Santa Barbara, California?

I am clearing my house and going walkabout next Spring. My initial destination is Santa Barbara. I plan to stay in a hotel or suite just long enough to find a nice little place on or near the beach to rent for 6 months to a year while I look for a place to live and a house to buy Maybe more, maybe less.

I have seen a number of places on Craigslist and Zillow. Looks like $3k a month will get me a decent shack on or near the beach.

Furnished or unfurnished, I don't care. I assume they have cheap furniture stores where I can grab a couch and some tables.

Once I get it livable, I am going to head out to see where I want to live. I presume somewhere in Cali but, there are plenty of nice places nearby like Tahoe and Vegas. Mexico would be my dream but the wife is scared to death to leave the country. Poor thing lives in a very small box. This move is freaking her out. LMAO San Fransisco is a dream but the weather is not great and I am a total outdoor person.

Anyway, any tips are very cool. Like... Goleta or Carpentina (sp)? Goleta looks cheap because it's all the college kids. Which is great for me because I hate old people. I'm 65 going on 22. LOL The music scene is probably cool around the kids and I play drums and don't plan on quitting. ;)

And, I'm not really stuck on Santa Barbara. I was there a few years ago and it's a beautiful, quaint little town. I may end up in San Fransisco or LA but I don't want to start there. Santa Barbara just hit my heart and soul. And, it's central to the area I am looking to buy a home and live. (San Fran to San Diego).

However, just down the road closer to Ventura, it seems to get way cheaper. And, going toward Malibu even cheaper yet. I don't imagine it's the hood anywhere along the beach is it? Anyplace within a block from the beach should be a nice, safe and comfortable place to stay..... Yes?

Can't imagine why it gets cheaper towards LA. I would expect it to get more expensive.Perhaps I'm not the only one who loved Santa Barbara. LOL

Anyway, I would love to hear from people who know the area with any suggestions or warnings. Especially warnings, I guess.

Oh, and I am bringing my dog. He is a big dog (Golden Retriever) but I have been a dog trainer for 12 years and this dog is better behaved than ANY child I have ever met. LOL So, hopefully, it won't limit me too much. Are dogs allowed on the beach? Are sand fleas a problem?

This is one of my dreams come true to move to California and spend my final days dipping my toes in the sand of my back yard..... the Pacific Ocean.

Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

This sounds rad. I’ve ridden my bike to the top of Mount Gibraltar, but that’s about my experience with Santa Barbara. I really liked it while there though. Enjoy!

scalescliffs,
Unfortunately, I will be selling both my bikes before I go but you can bet I'll be buying another when I get there.

20z76s6.jpg

Bdubbdiblets

Grew up in the area....SB is beautiful but expensive. As you go south towards LA it gets cheaper in Oxnard/port hueneme areas because some areas are not so good...but that's perspective also as I'm sure someone who grew up in very very bad places would think it heaven....not nearly as nice as Santa Barbara or even Ventura though. Then closer to malibu and into LA it gets expensive again. In general Cali is very expensive to live but it's worth it imo.

Summerland is a very cool lil beach town just south of carp...:2c:

Dogs should be fine....not sure of sand fleas....:shrug:I've never gotten them....I don't think lol...

I also recommend Santa Cruz (Aptos or Capitola specifically) more north toward SF (went to college there...go banana slugs!) a bit more counter culture than SB if you will..cannabis on every corner.....SB has a bit of the Malibu LA fanciness for lack of better description....ha!

All in all sounds like an awesome plan good luck! Feel free to PM me if you would like....:rockon:

Last edited:

Tranquility

It sounds like a good plan. But, remember, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. If you're from a place with a lot of rain, there are few areas below the middle of the state that will be anywhere near as green. (As in the color.) When I travel from Southern California, I am always amazed at how green everything is. Lots of places have green surrounding the freeways! You won't find much of that here.

California has wonderful climate. It is where I was born and have built and have lived all my life. It is where my family, friends, hobbies and all I know are. I am preparing to flee.

I believe California's leadership/governments are going to destroy the free lunch of the state's natural resources. (Like the weather.) I cannot see any way they can pay for all the promises made without raising taxes or cutting services immensely. I am grateful for all the things that combined to allow me to be pretty successful in life. I don't consider myself rich, but know I have it way easier than the average person. I think the state will be divided between the haves and the have-nots in the quality of life here within the next decade or so and my calculation is I'm a bit below the line of "haves". (Part of that is having to support another generation of person forever as my step son is autistic.)

My city pays 20% of its "revenues" to retired city workers. The retirement fund is woefully underfunded and the baby boomers are just retiring. This means the previously underfunded pension funds will have more people taking money out. In less than a decade, that percentage will nearly double to 38%. Again, that is current revenues to pay for retired workers. At some point, there will be no more blood to squeeze from the stone.

Then there is the government intrusion. Just little things, of course. No, you can't have a plastic bag to take home your groceries. Straws? Monster. We aren't making enough from the gas tax so we need to track your car everywhere and tax that instead. Water? Heh. I could go on, but know I once got a fine on my previous house because the trash cans were visible from the street a day after collection. Some places, I hope you like beige as a house color because you're paining it again if it's not. I'm sure much of that is everywhere. It just seems more pervasive here in the Great State. The only thing I've ever seen less controlled in CA than in some other states is gas pumping. Here, we do it ourselves! (Cue heroic music.)[Well, and cannabis.]

Hackerman, from the plan you put out, it seems to me you will find a place in the state that suits you. It is wonderful in many ways and many might find a way to excel here in retirement. But, plan carefully. This place has many ways to take your money. Some of them so subtle you hardly notice. Some of them, you have to predict. The rich will love it here. The poor will survive here. The middle class will be gone other than those with fixed pensions with strong COLAs who have enough wealth to purchase (Or, already have.) property to live on and current government workers. With all that, I still love it. I just can't seem to find a way to make my budget work for when the career money stops flowing in and I have to survive on savings, investments and Social Security.

Tranquility,
Reactions: Helios
Thank you so much. Awesome input.

LOL I am always chasing the greener grass. You are certainly correct about that area not being real green. When I was in Yosemite, I was amazed at the lack of wildlife. And, as you go South, like you said, it just gets worse. I figure it this way..... no water, no bugs. No bugs, no birds. No birds no foxes. In the great Lakes area we are wet ALWAYS. Lots of bugs, birds and foxes. LOL Well, coyotes are big right now. I have way more wildlife in my back yard than I saw in all of California. Albeit, my back yard is a 15,000 acre National Park. LOL Here's the view off my deck.

2ak0epx.jpg

Still, the wet also brings a lot of problems like mold, sinus issues and general miserable feeling weather. Especially with my arthritis. Cold, wet weather is outright painful to me. I should ne looking at Nevada or Arizona. LOL

I don't care about politics so I am OK with anything any state does. It has always been my attitude that if they make a law I don't like, I simply don't obey it. LOL Been that way all my life. So, the politics of Cali is no big deal. I don't even have a clue who my state's governor is. LOL Never really been into politics even though I worked with the DoD for years.

Stuff like being fined for trash cans and straws totally sux. I hate big concern over little issues. LOL I'll just have to deal with those issues. At least I'll be dealing with it in the sunshine. LOL

I like where you said "the rich will love it". I was very lucky in business and I am pretty comfortable. However, I was also a financial wiz and almost all my income now is tax free. If Cali taxes are a problem, I'll set up a trust in another state and feed off that. Like I said, all problems have solutions. I love tax stuff. One of my hobby's is reading tax laws. LOL Yeah, I know. That's pretty fucked up. LOL

Besides, our sales tax is almost 8%. About the same as Cali. Our state income tax is about 4.5% compared to Cali's 8% but we also have local tax at 3% so we are at 7.5%. Again, almost as much as Cali.

Cali property taxes are WAY less than Ohio. My taxes on a 300k house are almost $8000 per year. Granted you don't get as much house in Cali for 300k but, comparing taxes per dollar, Ohio is way higher in property taxes.

Food is way cheaper in Cali. I think that goes without saying. Even meat is $2 or more a pound cheaper in Cali.

Utilities are also way cheaper in Cali. Last time I was out there and told the real estate agent my utilities were $5,000 per year she freaked out. The price per KwH is more there but you don't use as much.

My water bill is over $100 per month. How fucked up is that when you live right next to the largest fresh water supply in the whole world. Our water bill is a result of bad politics. So, that is everywhere, not just Cali.

Electric is always over $200 a month.

Natural gas in Summer is only $40 but in the cold Winter it can easily be $400 a month.

Overall, it is my experience that it is way cheaper to live in Cali than in Ohio. That goes against everything everyone says. But, still, it is my clear observation.

The only thing that seems to cost more in Cali is real estate. And, that doesn't actually cost more. You just get less. LOL Let's say I am middle income and I have $300k to spend on a house. I can live in a mansion in shithole Ohio or I can live in a shack in Cali. But, it still only costs you 300k. It's not more in Cali. It's the same 300k. You just get a smaller house. LOL However, the taxes and expenses on that 300k home will be way less than a 300k home in Ohio. This makes no sense but it is still the way I have seen it. I could be missing something. I will find out when I get there. LOL

Personally, after spending a lifetime paying $40,000 per year JUST FOR INSURANCE on the crap I own, I am all in favor of selling everything and never owning anything ever again. Rent my house. Lease a car. Ownership is overrated. Especially as you get older. And, I am so much NOT a 'possession' person. I carry my most valuable possessions in my heart and I can take those with me anywhere I go. Owning 'stuff' is way overrated. I had every toy imaginable and I'm still miserable. LOL

And, I am very mobile. If I don't like it somewhere, I have no problem picking up and moving somewhere else. However........ I have a WIFE (OMG, what a bad decision in life) and women need a nest. So, I will eventually have to buy something for her sake but if I can put that off for ten years while we 'look for a house to buy', I am OK with that. LOL

Thanks again for the input. It's exactly what I am looking for.

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
The only thing the name evokes to me was that awful TV series... I hated it because my grandma watched it all the time and we couldn't use the TV when she did. :D

Groupe1-5.gif

Tranquility

I like where you said "the rich will love it". I was very lucky in business and I am pretty comfortable. However, I was also a financial wiz and almost all my income now is tax free. If Cali taxes are a problem, I'll set up a trust in another state and feed off that. Like I said, all problems have solutions. I love tax stuff. One of my hobby's is reading tax laws. LOL Yeah, I know. That's pretty fucked up. LOL
Because of the way interest has been, I'm deep into munis as I start switching to income over growth. But, all the taxes are high, not just income. That's one of the hidden things. Because of Cap and Trade, you pay more for electricity and products that use it in manufacturing. You don't directly pay the tax to the government, but the cost of electricity is higher. When I wrote about the economic issues, I was not worried too much about income tax as I will not have that much income on retirement. As to your trust strategy and income taxes, let's talk and let me hear your plan as I, too, have some expertise on taxes. I am uncertain as to how you can arrange for as much benefit from a foreign trust as you seem to state. (See http://www2.csudh.edu/rmalamud/sp614.pdf )

Overall, it is my experience that it is way cheaper to live in Cali than in Ohio. That goes against everything everyone says. But, still, it is my clear observation.
Play with the numbers to see how they compare to your estimates. If a difference, find out if it is in the facts or in how you live. https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/columbus-oh/los-angeles-ca/75000

The only thing that seems to cost more in Cali is real estate. And, that doesn't actually cost more. You just get less. LOL Let's say I am middle income and I have $300k to spend on a house. I can live in a mansion in shithole Ohio or I can live in a shack in Cali. But, it still only costs you 300k. It's not more in Cali. It's the same 300k. You just get a smaller house. LOL However, the taxes and expenses on that 300k home will be way less than a 300k home in Ohio. This makes no sense but it is still the way I have seen it. I could be missing something. I will find out when I get there. LOL
You don't put a crap house in a nice place. Crap houses tend to be in crap places or in other places people don't want to be. (As in a nice rural location that does not have fully modern or complete services.) Note, I agree that in CA a house that costs about 1/3 of a million dollars is going to be crap.

Personally, after spending a lifetime paying $40,000 per year JUST FOR INSURANCE on the crap I own, I am all in favor of selling everything and never owning anything ever again. Rent my house. Lease a car. Ownership is overrated. Especially as you get older. And, I am so much NOT a 'possession' person. I carry my most valuable possessions in my heart and I can take those with me anywhere I go. Owning 'stuff' is way overrated. I had every toy imaginable and I'm still miserable. LOL
Stuff is very overrated, I agree. I am not an acquisitor. I usually get one good thing and use it until it dies. Yet, there is some psychic satisfaction from saying this place is mine. I know it's not in reality. But, I believe it so and it soothes me.

And, I am very mobile. If I don't like it somewhere, I have no problem picking up and moving somewhere else. However........ I have a WIFE (OMG, what a bad decision in life) and women need a nest. So, I will eventually have to buy something for her sake but if I can put that off for ten years while we 'look for a house to buy', I am OK with that. LOL

I am not. As I wrote, I've been here all my life. As the crow flies, probably 3/4 of my life has been within a 10 mile circle. For me, moving is a big deal and it is not something to just try out. I understand your perspective and find it perfectly valid. It's just not mine. As for the wife, I love being married. It is my best state. I'm sorry you doubt your decision. It just makes the living decisions harder.

Tranquility,
Reactions: KeroZen
Incredible reply, my friend. Thank you so much. I like intelligent perspective.

I was deep into real estate. Which at the time was awesome but as taxes, insurance and maintenance costs began to increase exponentially, it became less favorable. And, rentals are certainly more hassle than a CD or muni but I never did net less than 10% income from any real estate and at a time when CD's were paying 1% or less, 10% was pretty sweet.

Now, I am converting everything to cash and simply buying CD's. My last one was 2.5% which sux but it's more than enough for me to live. My stock broker buddy keeps telling me he can earn me so much more income but my reply is always the same. "The CD's bring in more than I spend in a year and making more will just increase my taxes." LMAO One thing about being old.... you don't need to buy a lot any more. LOL Food, beer, pot....... I guess that about covers it. LOL And, I have NO descendants so when I die the government will get any money that's left. If I time things perfectly, my last bar tab and tip will be my last dollar. Then, I'll die that night. LOL

Another thing nice about real estate was the tax advantages. I made 6 figures every year and have only paid Federal income tax 2 times in 7 years. And, those were both capital gains from selling properties. What a nightmare that capital gains tax is for me right now. I just sold a 450k property that was fully depreciated. City, State and Federal, I'll be looking at well over 100k tax bill this year. Not just the 15% on the 450k but the income from the sale makes other income (that normally would not be taxable (like my Social Security)) suddenly is taxable this year. I'll have to be good and drunk to write a 6 figure check to the IRS. LMAO

But, that's the down side of real estate.

The good news is, once it's done it's done. I had several offers of land contracts and owner financing to spread out the pain but in the end it's always about the same amount of money and the pain just lasts longer. LOL I'll get drunk, write the check and then forget about it. LOL

Reading through that California trust paper.... damn, Cali is fucked up. LMAO Taxing situs being where the TRUSTEE resides????? That is strange but I can see an advantage there since my trustee will still be here in Ohio.

In Ohio, a trustee can not be a beneficiary of the trust so I had my lawyer sign his name as trustee for mine. One thing I used to do was set up trusts for a bunch of my relatives and never distributed anything to them. However, as administrator I was able to take a fee for administration. I just kept taking fees until the trusts were empty. LOL It was still taxed as income but I was able to control the income more so it was not too little or too much in any given year. One thing I found out early.... if you make too much money in any one given year, they are going to take a giant chunk of it. LOL

Here are some of the examples I am looking at.....

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/251-S-Ventura-Rd-UNIT-224-Port-Hueneme-CA-93041/16402100_zpid/

Under 300k. ON the beach. It's crap. My dorm room in college was nicer. LOL However, I have to ASSume LOL that it is a decent and safe place to live.

Here is a better example. This place is crap. Pure and simple. I'm taking the kitchen is a table with a hot plate. LMAO However, it is ocean VIEW. Not ON the beach but so close that I have to believe this is not 'the hood' or any place unsafe. Yet, it sure looks like it.LOL Is Long Beach a bad area?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...-118.114872,33.598892,-118.366871_rect/11_zm/

And, another nice one. This one isn't even $200k.. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...-117.675762,33.369961,-117.927761_rect/11_zm/

And, this is why I need to come out and spend a little time (and, why I am asking around) to clear this all up in my eyes.

San Diego is unbelievably cheap. I stayed at the Hard Rock in the Gaslight a few times and they sent me a flyer they are selling high floor suites for under 300k. Live at the Hard Rock??? Rave parties all weekend. 4 bars and 3 restaurants in my home??? I'm in. LOL

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...-117.121983,32.565767,-117.373981_rect/11_zm/

And every one of these are less taxes than I pay on my house here. Way less. Way, way less. LOL

Thanks again, so much.

Last edited:
Hackerman,

Tranquility

Another thing nice about real estate was the tax advantages. I made 6 figures every year and have only paid Federal income tax 2 times in 7 years. And, those were both capital gains from selling properties. What a nightmare that capital gains tax is for me right now. I just sold a 450k property that was fully depreciated. City, State and Federal, I'll be looking at well over 100k tax bill this year. Not just the 15% on the 450k but the income from the sale makes other income (that normally would not be taxable (like my Social Security)) suddenly is taxable this year. I'll have to be good and drunk to write a 6 figure check to the IRS. LMAO
Every rich person I know got there through property. Depreciation is quite magic. From your numbers, it seems there won't be any serious recapture and land is not depreciated so you should have a little basis left, the ratable increases shouldn't cost you that much unless you're really high income and the Net Investment Income tax comes into play. From the amount of property you are talking about selling, are you sure you are not a Real Estate Professional? You might get out of some of that NIT.

The good news is, once it's done it's done. I had several offers of land contracts and owner financing to spread out the pain but in the end it's always about the same amount of money and the pain just lasts longer. LOL I'll get drunk, write the check and then forget about it. LOL
Sounds like someone needs to exchange into some California property with the intent to rent it. If they later change their mind and live there?

Reading through that California trust paper.... damn, Cali is fucked up. LMAO Taxing situs being where the TRUSTEE resides????? That is strange but I can see an advantage there since my trustee will still be here in Ohio.
You'll still be taxed on the income you receive as a California resident. I'm not sure you can just get distributions of corpus while keeping the income in the trust. But, being a non-contingent beneficiary will get the trust income at least apportioned as to the residents of the state anyway. See "Taxability of estate and trust based on residency" at:
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/Archive/Professionals/Taxnews/2007/0307/0307_3.shtml

In Ohio, a trustee can not be a beneficiary of the trust so I had my lawyer sign his name as trustee for mine.
Are you sure of that? Not all trusts are designed to be "Wholly discretionary trust"s. Throw in some ascertainable standards and make it yours.

Edit:
Just started looking at properties. The first at the Hard Rock is a condo. Look down further to the HOA fees. You'll have to factor in about $700 a month to the cost. The second (in Laguna), $2500 to $3300 a month in fees. The third, $228 a month. (If you go to check the third, let me know beforehand and we might meet up.) On the third, you're right by a bit of a homeless problem at Bixby Park and you better get a space or forget about parking. But, the area is nice and there are a TON of great places to eat and play and shop within walking distance. The ocean view from the location might tend towards the Oil islands (which are not bad) and the line of ships waiting to dock at the port, but, there is a beach. (With a breakwater that prevents bitchn' waves.)

Last edited:
Tranquility,
@OldNewbie , maybe you can help me out with an answer....

I was scouting around today for FDIC insured investments (in other words, CD's) and I noticed that 1 yr T-bills are paying slightly more than CD's. Never seen that before. Which is why I never invested in T-bills and notes.

I went over to treasurydirect and opened an account. If I read right, the last 12 month auction was discounted 2.7x%. That's better than any 1 yr. CD I can find.

I went ahead and bought one for tomorrow's auction.

Something just doesn't seem right. LOL

I am open to any comments on T-bills right now.

Thanks

Hackerman,

Tranquility

@OldNewbie , maybe you can help me out with an answer....

I was scouting around today for FDIC insured investments (in other words, CD's) and I noticed that 1 yr T-bills are paying slightly more than CD's. Never seen that before. Which is why I never invested in T-bills and notes.

I went over to treasurydirect and opened an account. If I read right, the last 12 month auction was discounted 2.7x%. That's better than any 1 yr. CD I can find.

I went ahead and bought one for tomorrow's auction.

Something just doesn't seem right. LOL

I am open to any comments on T-bills right now.

Thanks

I am told that we went into an inverted yield curve recently--suggesting a potential recession coming on. Interest rates are roiled and China are not buying T-bills to the same level because of the tariffs so there is a premium in trying to get people to buy.

But, while I know money OK and tax pretty well (At least in some areas.), I am not a financial guy. I give my money to a friend who is and he invests it for me. We meet a few times a year at lunch to talk about making sure my goals and investments are aligned. T-bills have been a part of that. There have been no CD holding because of interest rates for a decade. I have clients who have gone heavy into CD's, but they have real money and are looking for safety over profit. The only time I've bought CD's is as a fiduciary where I had to park a bunch of money for a few months before having to distribute it.

Tranquility,
I have been reading up on this and it is just like you said. The curve is getting flat and the bond people are freaking out about a recession. However, the stock market people are blowing it off.

I have zero experience in the bond market. I bought a 10k T-bill yesterday on Treasury Direct for today's auction at 10:30 just to try to learn how it works. One thing I need to check on Treasury notes is the limit of insurance. Treasury bonds are not FDIC insured but they are backed by the full faith and credit of the United States of America so, that's the same thing. If there is no limit (or a 5 mil limit like I think I read) that would be so sweet for me.

Most of my wealth has been working for me in stocks (God, don't we all love Apple. LOL) and real estate. Now, that I am moving everything into cash, I am finding problems with maxing my FDIC insurance coverage. I have ZERO family. None, ziltch. The closest relative I have is in Italy and I have not seen any of them for over 50 years. Many of them, I don't even know. So, the amount of coverage I can get from FDIC is limited. Even with different accounts set up in different ways, I am still maxed out at about 1 mil per bank (with some consideration for compounding growth). And, the darn banks offer the best rates to 'new' money so I end up chasing bank rates every 10 to 15 months as I shuffle funds from bank to bank. I am into that right now and it's a pain in the ass. If I could sink the entire load into longer term notes at about 5%, I would probably just do it out of convenience. At 5%, the income would be about 4 times more than I spend in a year. LOL I am not extravagant. My friends often ask me why I drive a 25 year old car. LMAO I love my Mark VIII. There have been times in my life when I owned multiple cars and bikes and all the other toys. Pain in the ass. License, insurance, maintenance..... bull. When I get to Santa Barbara, I'll probably buy a little scooter and use that most of the time. If I need a car, I'll call Uber. Do you guys have Uber out there? I wonder if it's more expensive there? I bought gas at $2.37 per gallon yesterday. How much is gas out there, today?

Thanks again for all the input. We took things a little off-topic with the finance talk but I don't think anyone cares. LMAO I'll let you know how the auction comes out. I couldn't figure out how to do the non-competitive bid so I placed a competitive bid instead. We'll see in an hour. LOL

Hackerman,

Tranquility

Now, that I am moving everything into cash, I am finding problems with maxing my FDIC insurance coverage.
When I've dealt with big money (millions) the financial adviser just buys $240K CDs from multiple banks. (Making sure interest doesn't put you over.) I can't believe he goes anywhere other than his computer to do so. I don't do the mechanics but never got the impression it was hard. Patriot act issues are probably less when the buy comes from a broker so I can see a bit more of an issue if you're doing it yourself.

So, the amount of coverage I can get from FDIC is limited. Even with different accounts set up in different ways, I am still maxed out at about 1 mil per bank (with some consideration for compounding growth). And, the darn banks offer the best rates to 'new' money so I end up chasing bank rates every 10 to 15 months as I shuffle funds from bank to bank. I am into that right now and it's a pain in the ass.
I know we earn our money as we earned it and habits are hard to change. But, how much would it cost you to get a guy to do that for you? If it is a pain, get a guy. Especially during this transition period. You don't have to marry him.

If I could sink the entire load into longer term notes at about 5%, I would probably just do it out of convenience. At 5%, the income would be about 4 times more than I spend in a year. LOL I am not extravagant. My friends often ask me why I drive a 25 year old car. LMAO I love my Mark VIII. There have been times in my life when I owned multiple cars and bikes and all the other toys. Pain in the ass. License, insurance, maintenance..... bull. When I get to Santa Barbara, I'll probably buy a little scooter and use that most of the time. If I need a car, I'll call Uber. Do you guys have Uber out there? I wonder if it's more expensive there? I bought gas at $2.37 per gallon yesterday. How much is gas out there, today?
Uber is here--as are electric scooters on all the corners of busy areas. Gas is about $3.40 if you pay cash at at a good place. (Costco, Sam's club, 7-11 trying to get rid of fuel 'ol Jethro peed in.)

Last edited:
Tranquility,

Tranquility

Thanks again for all the input. We took things a little off-topic with the finance talk but I don't think anyone cares. LMAO I'll let you know how the auction comes out. I couldn't figure out how to do the non-competitive bid so I placed a competitive bid instead. We'll see in an hour. LOL
Reading the pre-market reports seems to indicate a ton of money came into treasuries yesterday. Did you do better than 2.32? How long?

Tranquility,

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
Thank you so much. Awesome input.

LOL I am always chasing the greener grass. You are certainly correct about that area not being real green. When I was in Yosemite, I was amazed at the lack of wildlife. And, as you go South, like you said, it just gets worse. I figure it this way..... no water, no bugs. No bugs, no birds. No birds no foxes. In the great Lakes area we are wet ALWAYS. Lots of bugs, birds and foxes. LOL Well, coyotes are big right now. I have way more wildlife in my back yard than I saw in all of California. Albeit, my back yard is a 15,000 acre National Park. LOL Here's the view off my deck.

2ak0epx.jpg

Still, the wet also brings a lot of problems like mold, sinus issues and general miserable feeling weather. Especially with my arthritis. Cold, wet weather is outright painful to me. I should ne looking at Nevada or Arizona. LOL

I don't care about politics so I am OK with anything any state does. It has always been my attitude that if they make a law I don't like, I simply don't obey it. LOL Been that way all my life. So, the politics of Cali is no big deal. I don't even have a clue who my state's governor is. LOL Never really been into politics even though I worked with the DoD for years.

Stuff like being fined for trash cans and straws totally sux. I hate big concern over little issues. LOL I'll just have to deal with those issues. At least I'll be dealing with it in the sunshine. LOL

Besides, our sales tax is almost 8%. About the same as Cali. Our state income tax is about 4.5% compared to Cali's 8% but we also have local tax at 3% so we are at 7.5%. Again, almost as much as Cali.

Cali property taxes are WAY less than Ohio. My taxes on a 300k house are almost $8000 per year. Granted you don't get as much house in Cali for 300k but, comparing taxes per dollar, Ohio is way higher in property taxes.

Food is way cheaper in Cali. I think that goes without saying. Even meat is $2 or more a pound cheaper in Cali.

Utilities are also way cheaper in Cali. Last time I was out there and told the real estate agent my utilities were $5,000 per year she freaked out. The price per KwH is more there but you don't use as much.

My water bill is over $100 per month. How fucked up is that when you live right next to the largest fresh water supply in the whole world. Our water bill is a result of bad politics. So, that is everywhere, not just Cali.

Electric is always over $200 a month.

Natural gas in Summer is only $40 but in the cold Winter it can easily be $400 a month.

ok, Californian born and raised. We don't call it 'Cali', like S.F. natives HATE to hear the City called 'San Fran'... hearing 'Cali' (make me think of Kali the Hindu goddess) is jarring to the ear :(

have lived in So Cal most of my life and in the Bay Area for around 20 years.
I grew up body-surfing Huntington and Newport Beach almost every day.

From what you're describing, if you're not a fan of the weather in San Francisco (wait 5 minutes, lol... 'the City' is famous for it's microclimates) you'd probably love beach weather in Orange County (from Seal Beach down toward San Diego), but L.A./O.C. is nowhere near as green as the Bay Area (or as clean air-wise), the alternates that are above Santa Barbara all have attractive aspects to them too Cambria, SLO up through Pismo Beach, Paso Robles, etc. Again, Santa Barbara is the nexus of traffic hell along highway 101 :(

If you don't enjoy foggy weather, then stay away from Santa Cruz.
I LOVE the area, Capitola, etc. But it does have humidity, and it can get a bit gloomy.

OH, and traffic in so cal is SO beyond the pale. It's very hard to prepare for.
You plan things carefully travel-wise, 'cause large chunks of the time on the freeways can be eaten up going nowhere. Everyone drives around with Waze on their smartphone for alternate routes, people are pouring through neighborhoods to avoid traffic, but neighborhoods aren't designed for that much access. Lots of pissed folks.

HOA's are extremely common here, and from the horror stories I hear from folks that are under those homeowners associations... power mad folks... creepy. Nope, that's not an approved color to paint your house, re-paint it in one of these pre-approved colors. No, you can't put that kind of roof on your house, it's not pre-approved. And yes, your trash-cans should be at the curb and back the same day, etc. You VILL obey! LOL. Oh yeah, and don't even THINK of working on your car in the driveway, and there better not be any oil spots on your driveway!

Good luck my friend!

Tranquility

Can't wash your own car any more either. (At least with a hose.) Water problems throughout the state. I was married on the beach below Hearst Castle and love the central coast. It is beautiful, quirky and has a small town charm with good services in the bigger cities. But, Cambria's rules make my southern California water rules seem quaint.

Tranquility,
Reactions: looney2nz
Thanks @looney2nz . I definitely don't want gloomy weather. That is exactly what I am leaving here to get away from. Oh, and, I will never call it Cali again. LOL So, San Fransisco and below is called 'So Cal' and above SF is called 'Nor Cal'? Is that the proper lingo?

And, I am hearing more and more the horror stories of condo rules and HOA nightmares. And, I am definitely NOT one to obey the rules. LOL I am more on the 'white trash' end than the 'yuppie' end. LOL Picture the "Beverly Hillbillies". That will be my wife and I moving into So. Cal.

More and more my decision is stabilizing in the area between Cambria and Ventura. How about the area between Cambria and Monterey? Doesn't look like there's much there.

Weather, weather, weather..... that's definitely what it's all about for me.

Thanks again for all the great input.

looney2nz

Can't wash your own car any more either. (At least with a hose.) Water problems throughout the state. I was married on the beach below Hearst Castle and love the central coast. It is beautiful, quirky and has a small town charm with good services in the bigger cities. But, Cambria's rules make my southern California water rules seem quaint.

ain't THAT the truth :)

yeah, lots of sections above Santa Barbara are very resource constrained, I know SLO had a building moratorium for a long time.

But I still love visiting Cambria :) It's a truly great artist colony.

Tranquility

More and more my decision is stabilizing in the area between Cambria and Ventura. How about the area between Cambria and Monterey? Doesn't look like there's much there.
I'd say that north of Cambria or Sam Simeon has a lot of wonderful natural resources. But, it would be a very special place to live until you get up to the bigger cities. Special in that many would have to make changes in their lifestyles to live there. (Unless you're talking of something like Carmel--there you just need money.) While you might like the area very much, especially since you like a more rustic setting, as we get older medical and other services get rather important too.

Tranquility,

looney2nz

Thanks @looney2nz . I definitely don't want gloomy weather. That is exactly what I am leaving here to get away from. Oh, and, I will never call it Cali again. LOL So, San Fransisco and below is called 'So Cal' and above SF is called 'Nor Cal'? Is that the proper lingo?

And, I am hearing more and more the horror stories of condo rules and HOA nightmares. And, I am definitely NOT one to obey the rules. LOL I am more on the 'white trash' end than the 'yuppie' end. LOL Picture the "Beverly Hillbillies". That will be my wife and I moving into So. Cal.

Weather, weather, weather..... that's definitely what it's all about for me.

Thanks again for all the great input.

it's like this:

If you're in the greater bay area (san francisco, north bay (marin), east bay (oakland), south bay (san jose)) that is 'called' northern california but it's more central than northern. True northern california would be Eureka, Redding, Emerald Triangle, etc.

So Cal is pretty much from Santa Barbara south, with huge swaths going inland and to the high and low deserts... from the San Fernando Valley on it's one giant suburb.

There is a LOT in between Cambria and Monterey (which is one of my favorite places ever, along with Carmel, Pacific Grove, etc.), but Monterey can also be grey and gloomy (it's not terribly far south of Santa Cruz). This holds true even for gorgeous areas like Half Moon Bay, Pescadero. Kind of goes with proximity to the ocean and the cooler temps further north.

Seal Beach, Sunset Beach, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach are all spectacular beaches in Orange County, which along the beaches has pretty great weather most of the year.
The only caveat is that Seal Beach is the earliest victim of rising seas here, and floods a section almost every year. If you're not in that section, it's an awesome place. Great small town main street, lots of shops, restaurants and the pier.

I like the South Bay in so cal (Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance), but the beaches do change quite a bit as you go up the coast.

Hopefully that clarified rather than confused :)

@OldNewbie
I LOVE Carmel.
Big Sur, 17 mile drive
Monterey
Pacific Grove
all these great cities and locations nearby.

Last edited:

Tranquility

Seal Beach, Sunset Beach, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach are all spectacular beaches in Orange County, which along the beaches has pretty great weather most of the year.
The only caveat is that Seal Beach is the earliest victim of rising seas here, and floods a section almost every year. If you're not in that section, it's an awesome place. Great small town main street, lots of shops, restaurants and the pier.
They've been putting sand on the beach south of the pier in Seal Beach for a hundred years. Most of my required school years growing up was in the "city" of Rossmoor, an unincorporated area that borders Seal Beach and Los Alamitos and did a school report on the berms of Seal Beach back in elementary school 50+ years ago. I've seen articles from the 20's talking about building up the beach there that seem to imply it was a usual expense of the city since its inception. While the theoretical rise in the seas will profoundly affect a lot of areas in Seal Beach, there is not going to be any real difference in flooding in our lifetime.

Just a head's up, there are only two places there that might be possible for $300K. The first is Leisure World, an over 55 cooperative corporation that many find keen and the second is a trailer park on the north end that has a lot of built-up trailers that are right by the river. The former is for old people that want to be safe and the latter is more of a legal risk. Everyone has been suing everyone on ownership rights, I'm not sure what the final decisions will be. I don't know anyone who lives there but it seems like there isn't a legal certainty they have a right to possess the property there. However, litigation has been going on for at least a decade so it seems unlikely to have a major change from the status quo.

Tranquility,

looney2nz

They've been putting sand on the beach south of the pier in Seal Beach for a hundred years. Most of my required school years growing up was in the "city" of Rossmoor, an unincorporated area that borders Seal Beach and Los Alamitos and did a school report on the berms of Seal Beach back in elementary school 50+ years ago. I've seen articles from the 20's talking about building up the beach there that seem to imply it was a usual expense of the city since its inception. While the theoretical rise in the seas will profoundly affect a lot of areas in Seal Beach, there is not going to be any real difference in flooding in our lifetime.

Just a head's up, there are only two places there that might be possible for $300K. The first is Leisure World, an over 55 cooperative corporation that many find keen and the second is a trailer park on the north end that has a lot of built-up trailers that are right by the river. The former is for old people that want to be safe and the latter is more of a legal risk. Everyone has been suing everyone on ownership rights, I'm not sure what the final decisions will be. I don't know anyone who lives there but it seems like there isn't a legal certainty they have a right to possess the property there. However, litigation has been going on for at least a decade so it seems unlikely to have a major change from the status quo.

I know that the south county location changed their charter and incorporated as a city a few years back, Leisure World (or Seizure World as many locals called it) is now the city of Laguna Woods. Both that location and the Los Alamitos location were infamous for their radiant electric heat ceilings (what the hell were they smoking back then???), and the electric bills were astronomical. Rossmoor is still a very desirable area!

It's kind of hard to beat Laguna Beach, but it ain't cheap either. Great beach city.

Tranquility

I know that the south county location changed their charter and incorporated as a city a few years back, Leisure World (or Seizure World as many locals called it) is now the city of Laguna Woods. Both that location and the Los Alamitos location were infamous for their radiant electric heat ceilings (what the hell were they smoking back then???), and the electric bills were astronomical. Rossmoor is still a very desirable area!

It's kind of hard to beat Laguna Beach, but it ain't cheap either. Great beach city.
Laguna Woods, while created by the same developer, is a different entity entirely. Seizure world (Or, as the paramedics call it, "Left, right, right"--describing how they drive there from the station.) is in Seal Beach and Laguna Woods is near Mission Viejo. The Seal Beach development has two styles of cooperative buildings. The older portion are one story buildings that has from two to four separate units of a few rooms and a patio and the newer units are more apartment like in taller buildings. The older units had the electric heating in the ceiling.

Wide streets and plenty of trees is what Cortese used as his pitch for Rossmoor. He made it true and it is a wonderful place. You'll be looking at at least $750K for a fixer upper or original (aka "Medallion") property with no updates since being built. Most properties are going to be at or above a million dollars. While the drum beat to join a city has not been too loud the last few years, the county desperately wants to get rid of the unincorporated albatross and has the incorporation of all unincorporated areas in the county in its written plan for the future. How that battle will go is anyone's guess.

Tranquility,
Top Bottom