Anyone else seen Avatar in 3D?

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
Wow!
This is totally a get vaked and go to the movies kind of movie!

I highly recommend (pun intended) that all members go and see this in 3D, preferably IMAX 3D.

The 3D it has is created using a new technology and is much more realistic and natural than previous 3D's. The glasses are better, too! :/

As to the movie, my previous favorite big screen movie was the Lord of the Rings trilogy. This is similar in that it creates a whole different world, a fantasy/sci-fi world. And while the story is not as complex as LOTR, it is still a very good story (also it is not based on a celebrated book and does not have 3 movies for the story to unfold within. Also, I'm not sure how LOTR was for those who were not familiar with the book, because I read all 3 books twice (10 years apart) and so I watched the LOTR movies from that perspective.)

But what really puts "Avatar" over the top is the realistic fantasy world animation and the 3D. Every scene is just amazing to look at; hell even if you get too vaked to follow the story, you'll enjoy just looking at all the pretty scenery! :lol: Not to mention the hot, blue chicks running around in body stockings! :brow:

I highly encourage everyone to go see this in 3D. It's 2 hours and 40 minutes and I was never bored, not even for a second. I might even go see it again and I never go to see movies twice.

Anyone else love it?

MoeOnTheMoon,

lwien

Gonna go see it this weekend. Heard from many that being that this is a pretty long movie, that RealD may be a bit better than IMAX 3D.

lwien,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
lwien said:
Gonna go see it this weekend. Heard from many that being that this is a pretty long movie, that RealD may be a bit better than IMAX 3D.
lwien, in what way is RealD better? I'm not sure exactly what the length of the movie has to do with it...?
Let me know, because I may go see it again, and so I could choose RealD (whatever that is?)... for my next screening.

MoeOnTheMoon,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
lwien said:
Thanks for the articles. My friend saw it in RealD and loved it and I saw it in IMAX 3D and loved it, so there you go...

From reading the articles, I'd like to say that I did not find some blurring of images or anything else about the IMAX 3D annoying in any way. To me it seemed that some foreground blurring of 3D was part of the experience. Your eyes also blur things in the foreground in real life, so to me it felt natural.

I've seen other movies in RealD now that I know what it is, and it was good, but to me, the IMAX is probably the better choice for Avatar. I can't say for sure but maybe I'll go see it in RealD just to compare.

One thing you should realize is that RealD is all digital. That is, it is not shown on film, it is shown on something more akin to a video projector.

I'll report back if I do see it in RealD.

I'd say the most important thing is just to see it in some kind of 3D. It was made for 3D, so it should be seen in 3D in my opinion. Plus, the 3D is just plain amazing.

MoeOnTheMoon,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
MoeOnTheMoon said:
Anyone else love it?
I've seen it twice, on two different Imax screens. The first time we got to the theater a little late and ended up in the 2nd or 3rd row center. Since some scenes really utilize the full screen, It was too close to the screen for me: at times too much visual data to process for my weak brain to interprit.

Make sure before the movie starts whether you need to clean the glasses. Popcorn grease does not impove the viewing.

The 3_D effects were cool. For example, there is a part of the movie where ash falls from the sky, and you'd swear it was falling in the theater.

I liked the plot, but I agree with critics who say Avatar is a reworked Dances With Wolves. Frankly, most movies seem derivative of something else, it's how you restate it that's important. This retelling seemed fresh to me.

Not a movie for the reality minded. Heh. I don't suspect there is anyone here so inclined.

macbill,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
macbill said:
MoeOnTheMoon said:
Anyone else love it?
I've seen it twice, on two different Imax screens. The first time we got to the theater a little late and ended up in the 2nd or 3rd row center. Since some scenes really utilize the full screen, It was too close to the screen for me: at times too much visual data to process for my weak brain to interprit.

Make sure before the movie starts whether you need to clean the glasses. Popcorn grease does not impove the viewing.

The 3_D effects were cool. For example, there is a part of the movie where ash falls from the sky, and you'd swear it was falling in the theater.

I liked the plot, but I agree with critics who say Avatar is a reworked Dances With Wolves. Frankly, most movies seem derivative of something else, it's how you restate it that's important. This retelling seemed fresh to me.

Not a movie for the reality minded. Heh. I don't suspect there is anyone here so inclined.
Kinda reminds me of how someone recently told me "Day Tripper" by the Beatles was "a blatant rip-off" of "Pretty Woman"! :rolleyes:

But I guess if you really think about it, the general plot points between Wolves and Avatar are similar:
Guy is taken in by a tribe, taught to be like one of them, falls in love with a tribal woman, and then ends up fighting for them against his own people. That basic general plot is the same. But I bet there are dozens of movies with that plot if you start looking. In any case, it's the WAY the story is told that makes it good or bad.

You could say that The Godfather is about a crime family's machinations to get and keep power. How many movies had that plot before The Godfather...? etc. etc..

Good point, though.

MoeOnTheMoon,
Top Bottom