Any serious beer drinkers in forum?

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I haven't tried a Sam Adams that I didn't like. Boston Lager, Boston Ale, Hoppy Red, Octoberfest, Cream Stout, even their Harvest Pumpkin Ale... All great beers IMO!

Also really like Sierra Nevada. I've tried their pale ale and their Torpedo Extra IPA... Excellent!

:2c:

:peace:
Sam Adams Boston Lager is my beer of choice when I can find it. It's so rich and flavourful with the right balance of hops for my tastes. Really really tasty beer!

Mr Mellish

Perrin No Rules Vietnamese Porter -- Very tasty but quite sweet for a porter.

Lagunitas The Waldos' Special Ale -- More sweat than dank to me. Not a fan.

Bell's 30th -- Excellent on draft

Southern Tier 2XSmash -- Very tasty and nicely balanced dipa.

Bell's Überon -- The only way to make Oberon palatable. Kick it up several notches!

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Sam Adams Boston Lager is my beer of choice when I can find it. It's so rich and flavourful with the right balance of hops for my tastes. Really really tasty beer!
I totally agree with you. I've tried a few different beers now that were really good, but in the end I always end up reaching for a Boston Lager. There's just something about it that I like. It's very drinkable.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Perrin No Rules Vietnamese Porter -- Very tasty but quite sweet for a porter.

Lagunitas The Waldos' Special Ale -- More sweat than dank to me. Not a fan.

Bell's 30th -- Excellent on draft

Southern Tier 2XSmash -- Very tasty and nicely balanced dipa.

Bell's Überon -- The only way to make Oberon palatable. Kick it up several notches!

Southern Tier 2X Smash - totally agree. Good stuff!

But, I LOVE the Lagunitas Waldo! My only complaint is 11%. Can only have one then have to stick with sessions or get stupid drunk.

Mr Mellish

Southern Tier 2X Smash - totally agree. Good stuff!

But, I LOVE the Lagunitas Waldo! My only complaint is 11%. Can only have one then have to stick with sessions or get stupid drunk.

I've had more Waldo. I like it more than I did but it's still not in my top 25 dipa's. The dank seems to transmogrify to armpit as it warms up (but it doesn't have to get to room temp).

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I've had more Waldo. I like it more than I did but it's still not in my top 25 dipa's. The dank seems to transmogrify to armpit as it warms up (but it doesn't have to get to room temp).

I can see that. It is over the top dank. Lately I think my Euro-roots are starting to influence my drinking. I'll drink a cold beer, and usually do at a true "bar". But when I go to my local tasting room, I always order 2 right off. Drink the lighter IPA (or whatever) and let a DIPA, dark porter or stout sit and warm up. I hate loosing the little bit of carbonation, but get much more flavor with a warmed beer. Not piss warm, but around 65 F instead of 50 F or so.

With the Waldo I do love the warm dankness of it. Guess you could say armpit-y. I get it. But armpit or not, I love that dank flavor! Especially when I can duck out every so often to get a few hits off my VapCap! Just a lovely pairing with some sticky indica.

Mr Mellish

I can see that. It is over the top dank. Lately I think my Euro-roots are starting to influence my drinking. I'll drink a cold beer, and usually do at a true "bar". But when I go to my local tasting room, I always order 2 right off. Drink the lighter IPA (or whatever) and let a DIPA, dark porter or stout sit and warm up. I hate loosing the little bit of carbonation, but get much more flavor with a warmed beer. Not piss warm, but around 65 F instead of 50 F or so.

With the Waldo I do love the warm dankness of it. Guess you could say armpit-y. I get it. But armpit or not, I love that dank flavor! Especially when I can duck out every so often to get a few hits off my VapCap! Just a lovely pairing with some sticky indica.

I can understand that. Here in the US, the tendency is probably to serve most beers (other than lagers) too cold. My drinking buddies and I try to take that into account when out. In the case of The Waldo, I think it benefits from being a bit colder than you would expect.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Sorry for being confusing - must be the vapor. :ko:

I'm in US. I used to like beer colder, but like warmer and warmer brews unless outside on a hot day.

And, since this is FC, have to say the same for my bubbler water. Used to like cold and ice (still do on occasion), but when I sit back for a tasty sesh I use warm water. Not really hot, but probably around 95 F to start with.

Mr Mellish

Sorry for being confusing - must be the vapor. :ko:

I'm in US. I used to like beer colder, but like warmer and warmer brews unless outside on a hot day.

And, since this is FC, have to say the same for my bubbler water. Used to like cold and ice (still do on occasion), but when I sit back for a tasty sesh I use warm water. Not really hot, but probably around 95 F to start with.

You weren't confusing. I thought you were here. I still think it's safe to say we tend to serve things too cold. Except for them there snobby places that know what they're on about.

BD9

I do like a good beer. Had a Pliny The Elder last night. I have two Hair Of The Dog Adams chilling now. I can't get either one locally so I have to have them shipped from a store in California.

ZLSnzyC.jpg

I do like IPAs but they are starting to taste the same. Some breweries just do it better than others. Russian River makes some great IPAs but not available in my area. I tend to go more for ports and stouts. Founder's from Grand Rapids Mi, makes some of my favorite beers. Their porter and their breakfast stout are delicious.
I had an Adam and a Blue Dot from Hair Of The Dog brewery the other night and thought they were fantastic. Adam is nice and smoky. As it warmed, it really opened up. Highly recommend if you can get it. I still have two Adams left. The Blue Dot may have been one the best DIPA's I've ever had.

Last edited:

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Founder's from Grand Rapids Mi, makes some of my favorite beers. Their porter and their breakfast stout are delicious.
I've tried their porter, I did like that one. I'll have to give their breakfast stout a go next, maybe I'll pick one up tonight. I've also tried their "Curmudgeon" Old Ale -- it wasn't bad, but I wasn't terribly fond of it either.

Mr Mellish

I do like a good beer. Had a Pliny The Elder last night. I have two Hair Of The Dog Adams chilling now. I can't get either one locally so I have to have them shipped from a store in California.

ZLSnzyC.jpg

I do like IPAs but they are starting to taste the same. Some breweries just do it better than others. Russian River makes some great IPAs but not available in my area. I tend to go more for ports and stouts. Founder's from Grand Rapids Mi, makes some of my favorite beers. Their porter and their breakfast stout are delicious.
I had an Adam and a Blue Dot from Hair Of The Dog brewery the other night and thought they were fantastic. Adam is nice and smoky. As it warmed, it really opened up. Highly recommend if you can get it. I still have two Adams left. The Blue Dot may have been one the best DIPA's I've ever had.

I originally missed the part about how you found Pliny and Hair of the Dog. I'm jealous. If you'd care to PM details, I'm all ears (well, except for my big nose)!

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I've tried their porter, I did like that one. I'll have to give their breakfast stout a go next, maybe I'll pick one up tonight. I've also tried their "Curmudgeon" Old Ale -- it wasn't bad, but I wasn't terribly fond of it either.

Yeah, their breakfast stout is worth searching out. Occasionally, I'll run into some reserve that is a couple years old. Don't hesitate if you can get some - from a tap at least. It is amazing!

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I think my local liquor store has Dirty Bastard too. I know they have some breakfast stout in stock. Maybe I'll pick up both to try... :razz:

Breakfast Stout is a nice creamy, coffee, chocolate stout and OK in the one bottle I've had. But on tap, it really shines for me. Haven't had the Dirty Bastard from glass, but scotch ales seems to hold better in bottles. I know their All Day IPA holds up nicely if it is fresh enough. Still not as good as tapped goodness, but does better than many. It's a regular quick grab for us if heading to a BYOB. Which is saying something. All of the other IPA bottles we usually grab are true west coast.

BD9

I agree. The Curmudgeon is ok, but it's not one I seek out.

I originally missed the part about how you found Pliny and Hair of the Dog. I'm jealous. If you'd care to PM details, I'm all ears (well, except for my big nose)!

PM will be sent in a minute!

But for anyone else wanting to know, I use http://www.hitimewine.net/ They're in Costa Mesa CA and deliver to most states. I have used them more than 10 times and have never had a problem. I have had them ship to both Indiana and Florida. Everything has gone scary smooth. CS is excellent. One thing, their website is extensive but not everything they carry is listed, like the Pliny, so if you're looking for something you don't see, call them.

That's their Dirty Bastard scotch ale, right?

Yeah, it's a Scotch Ale. It's good. One of my favorite Scotch Ales is Robert The Bruce from 3 Floyds Brewing. It's delicious.

Philreal187

Hey fellow beer lovers, great to see this thread getting some activity!! I definitely enjoyed the backwoods bastard on draft it was good an I never liked scotch. Founders doesn't seem to disappoint.

I was just up north in Vermont spending a week away with my girl. We spent a lot of time trying local brews and taking in the amazing landscape of the green mountains.

Naturally I got some pictures of all the great beers.
Heres a few stand outs!!

JMLYyYC.jpg

Heady topper is a 100% rated ipa on beer advocate. I discovered it while looking for local breweries. It turns out this beer has a cult like following and is always in high demand. A distributor 10 minutes from where I stayed would have designated times a week they would sell cases and would have a line that sells out daily!!! Learning this I jumped in line early one morning and bought a whole case! The beer definitely holds up to the hype and is an excellent ipa.

VCWKrjZ.jpg

The other is a Vermont sour brewery Hermit Thrush. My girls favorite beer is sours and has her always searching for more and more!! This brewery was a gold mine of amazing sours!! This one featured above was close to the apple cider brews out there but much more flavor with the tart pucker at the end!!

JCd97E6.jpg

If you seen my other post this brewery has been a favorite of mine. This one is a limited access double ipa.

Now back to Hermit Thrush!!

EXUz6PK.jpg

VSRwXJc.jpg

79Y4XAC.jpg

Of these 3 gems the sour brown stands out as my favorite but without a doubt all of these are very high quality. With sours no two batches will ever be the same so I'm already looking forward to the next trip up north for a whole new collection!!

I have a few others from the trip I will probably share just have to find the pictures.

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
So my friend owns Mr. Dunderbaks in Tampa. They are an amazing German restaurant with a large craft beer selection as well as an amazing selection of German and Belgian beers. They are in a competition on the Draft Magazine site and if you are so inclined I would appreciate it if you would head over and give them a click. You can actually do it once a day. Don't forget to "save" your vote at the bottom of the page.

Honestly, if they weren't worthy I wouldn't ask.

Cheers, Bill

http://draftmag.com/goldstandard/vote/

BD9

So my friend owns Mr. Dunderbaks in Tampa. They are an amazing German restaurant with a large craft beer selection as well as an amazing selection of German and Belgian beers. They are in a competition on the Draft Magazine site and if you are so inclined I would appreciate it if you would head over and give them a click. You can actually do it once a day. Don't forget to "save" your vote at the bottom of the page.

Honestly, if they weren't worthy I wouldn't ask.

Cheers, Bill

http://draftmag.com/goldstandard/vote/

Done! I see your in FL. Have you had any of the Cigar City beers? I love their Jai Alai and Florida Cracker. I've also been to Orlando Brewing and had a few of their beers which I like.

Top Bottom