Any Good Ice tea recipes

dadesign

I am not talking with ABV or anything just flavored. I get raspberry and mint flavoring at walmart to add into it. makes it really tasty but I was wondering if any one has suggestions for other flavors..I am trying to drink much more tea then Dr pepper and any suggestions would be helpful

for making ice tea by the gallon

I use three family size tea bags boiled and then 1 and a quarter cups sugar.. then a capful of flavoring.. lasts a good while to. I dont have that same heavy taste as pop which I like

dadesign,

lwien

One and a quarter cups of sugar? Thats a lot of sugar. Might as well stay with the Dr. Pepper.

lwien,

dadesign

doesn't seem to be for a whole gallon. I was raised on sweet tea I guess. I had a good mind to try honey as someone mentioned but I am not sure how much that would take. or splenda for the no calorie tea I think

dadesign,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Okay... that is a lot of sugar to me too but my husband was raised on sweet tea... I call it pancake syrup it was so damn sweet!

He gave up the sugar when I started adding flavorings to the tea... We also use Stevia to sweeten things rather than sugar now but he prefers the fruity tea without sweetener now. You might try Stevia Pure Extract... a little goes a LONG ways!

For flavorings in addition to regular tea bags we add a flavored tea bag 1 for 1/2 gallon so 2 for your whole gallon. We buy the Liption Pyramid Tea bags and they have great flavors like Peach, Mango, Berry, and a slew of others. My husband says his favorites are the peach, mango and orange. He had friends over a few weeks back and they all wanted to know what was in the tea... It's very good with or without sweetener!

Lo,

dadesign

I cant imagine unsweetened but people do like it..maybe I will have to try it next time. if I dont like it I can always add sugar. i never heard of stevia at all..I was just figuring adding flavors to it rather then in teabags. in fact I cant remember seeing any of them..I have been thinking of doing the same with green tea to.

dadesign,

Lo

hehe... What's going to be them NoSmoke?? Maybe I want to come over for tea ;)

Lo,

dadesign

cool. I think it isbetter for me and after drinking Dr Pepper for so long, it really doesn't taste that good any more to me...but I have also drank a lot more ice water since I moved here too. but I still like that fizz to it...wonder if you could do that with tea:brow:

dadesign,

tuttle

One recipe I like is to slice about 1/4 - 1/3 of a ginger root (about the thickness of a quarter), simmer in 8 cups of water with a wedge of lemon for 10-15 minutes, strain and add honey to taste.

You can also get a pretty good mint tea by throwing a hefty sprig in a cup of boiling water, letting it seep for a few minutes, don't remove the sprig when you drink.

tuttle,

hopandstop

I, too, grew up on sweet tea. From the Southeast, so I know how to make it.

Prepare tea as usual.

As far as sugar, I used to add 2 cups (what my grandma does, and which explains the horrible, horrible genes/health in my family). I've adapted it to 3/4 a cup as a good 'sweet' tea (8 cups of tea).

Hope this helps!

hopandstop,

NoSmoke

lo said:
hehe... What's going to be them NoSmoke?? Maybe I want to come over for tea ;)
:D You could of if I still lived in Florida! :p I moved to Minnesota about 7 years ago, used to live in Orlando. I liked everything except the traffic, man was that ugly. :doh:

I don't know what Ill be putting in them, but I'm gaining lots of sweet ideas from here. :cool:

NoSmoke,

Lo

When fruits are ripe a lot of folks here add fresh, ripe pieces of peach or mango to the tea... It really is good and get bits of fruit to snack on with your tea :D

Lo,

dadesign

i tried two cups with my first gallon..it hurt my teeth it was so sweet. I might do one next time. or even 3/4 and then can add to it

i like the fresh fruit idea but maybe something neater would be to freeze the fresh fruit and put it in the glass like ice cubes..

dadesign,

lwien

dadesign said:
i like the fresh fruit idea but maybe something neater would be to freeze the fresh fruit and put it in the glass like ice cubes..
No shit. Have you ever had frozen grapes? Yum........
Or frozen chocolate covered bananas?

Oh, wait..........this is a tea thread. Ok, back to our regular scheduled programming.

lwien,

dadesign

but to use them as ice cubes to flavor the tea.. but I am not sure it would give enough flavor to be noticeable. frozen chocolate covered bananas are good though

dadesign,

Lo

Oh, just thought of a good tea idea... Add 1 cup of pineapple juice to your gallon of tea instead of sugar or with the sugar if you really like sweet... It is very good w/out though!

Lo,

Vapenstien's Monster

I am a bit surprised that nobody has offered up the idea of honey as a sweetener in tea. Yes sun tea and iced tea are both good with honey and I don't think I need to get into all the health aspects of the stuff.
**edit** OOps, looking back across the thread, I guess honey was mentioned... well I still like the stuff**

Since this is a tea thread I will offer my recipe

Make yourself some suntea or iced tea in your usual way, then..
add some sweetened cannamilk to taste.

(Cannamilk Recipe:

gently simmer 4-5 grams of ABV or 1-2 grams ground fresh cannabis per cup of whole milk for 20 minutes

gently simmer 7 grams ABV or 2-3 grams fresh ground cannabis per cup of 10% cream for 20 minutes

Multiply ABV Weights X 4 for leaf/scrap

During the last few minutes of simmering, stir in 1/4-1/2 cup honey (clover is my favorite)

strain while hot then refrigerate till cooled down, stir before use)

Vapenstien's Monster,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
dadesign said:
cool. I think it isbetter for me and after drinking Dr Pepper for so long, it really doesn't taste that good any more to me...but I have also drank a lot more ice water since I moved here too. but I still like that fizz to it...wonder if you could do that with tea:brow:

Yes, you can easily carbonate your tea if you like - just add some yeast to the sugarywater mixture and put it in a sealed container (i.e. 2 liter bottle) and it will carbonate (in about 3 weeks or so)

This is how people carbonate their own homemade sodas. Ill find a recipe if you are seriously looking to add some carbonation to your tea!

AGBeer,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
i like loose tea, brewed in one of these things because you can steep each batch multiple times for slightly different character.

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/iced_ingenuiTEA_teapot.html?SID=115919c4738b986bb1d8e9f0a73593d3

sweetened with turbinado sugar, agave nectar or honey. my favorite sweeteners are the naturally flavored honeys i.e. not 'flavored' honeys, but varietal honeys like blueberry or orange blossom that are flavored by what the bees pollinate.

best combo i've hit on yet is blueberry white tea with blueberry honey.
not much for the diabetic coma inducing 'sweet tea' as I only use a tsp or two of sweetener for a whole pitcher.

herbgirl,
Top Bottom