Any advice about dealing with anxiety?

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I hope we sticky this thread. For real.

I've dealt with anxiety since I was young, from heart pounding to the point you literally think your having a heart attack, moderate to severe chest tightness, bad insomnia, freaking out and dwelling on shit that really effected me on an emotional level, and just being in a pissy/snappy attitude during/after these attacks that are tough to break.

One of, if not the worst parts is how nobody understands that
being diagnosed or living with panic/anxiety is different from having every day anxiety that people normally experience as part of human life. :disgust:

So I suppose my advice, based on my experience without going into full detail is this:

-Research any medication you are on or are considering starting thoroughly, know their side effects both short and long term. Lots of people have no idea how addictive anxiety medicine is. It never solved my problems, at least. :worms:
-Talk to someone, find a friend, family member, anyone, someone to chat with. Maybe even trust a bit. Open up slowly or talk about it all, just get some of that anxiety out of you and get some input on the situation or how your feeling.
-Write a journal. I prefer pen & paper myself, but a journal is VERY helpful for reflecting on the past in addition to letting your frustrations out. Ever forget why you were so upset? Well, there it is. This has been one of my biggest helpers, I even wrote a shorthand for it so no one can read it. I'd be tempted to share my basic one if anyone is interested. ;)
-Find a physical activity you like, something you have to at least get some minimum exercise with. Something you enjoy doing.
-Get some outdoor time, even if its just laying in the grass a bit or vaping with a fishing line in the water.
-Read books, watch tv, play a video game during the attacks -if you can bear through them- Take your mind of things you dwell on, or your anxiety in general.

These have all helped me a lot, I hoped I helped some people out, but a lot if it is much easier said than done when your in the middle of an attack or feeling really down. For me starting a journal, not even daily, has really helped me keep things under control. :2c:

I deal with it every day, maybe tomorrow I'll go into some more detail but I just don't feel it tonight.

It is a struggle, and no one is alone in dealing with it.
This.

Just knowing that it is, indeed, a "panic attack" or whatever you call the time that the body/mind has thrown all defenses up, flooded the system with adrenaline, tried to jettison the ballast (remember submarine movies?), and tensed every muscle to prepare for...

Well, just knowing that does NOT make the actual experience or the effects go away. It still fucking SUCKS!

Thank you for that short list of helpful things. I do, indeed, find them very helpful. Distracting self is a great way to ease out...

Nok21

Just knowing that it is, indeed, a "panic attack" or whatever you call the time that the body/mind has thrown all defenses up, flooded the system with adrenaline, tried to jettison the ballast (remember submarine movies?), and tensed every muscle to prepare for...

Well, just knowing that does NOT make the actual experience or the effects go away. It still fucking SUCKS!

Thank you for that short list of helpful things. I do, indeed, find them very helpful. Distracting self is a great way to ease out...

Distraction has been helpful for me, at least. Breaking the anxious/paniced/whatever people call it train of thought is tough. At least recording the experiences/attacks helps too, so you can look back at them and find your triggers.. Again easier said than done.

Always here for advice :rockon:

Well, when I'm online, anyway. :tup:

hibeam

alpha +
@Nok21 your generous post reminded me of my most important distraction, practicing music. I say practicing instead of playing because we do not have to be any good at it to enjoy and lose ourselves in it. I goof around a lot with tin whistles, low whistles, cane flutes, and harmonicas because the controlled breathing grounds me and these are affordable instruments. Long single meditative tones are something anyone can do or work up to doing. I am not a singer, but I bet lots of people sing to cope with chronic anxiety! I know music in general makes some people too emotional, so it is not for everyone. Hula hooping to favorite dance music or drumming (not just for girls anymore) is another anxiety killer strategy of mine. Now that gardening, my number one calming activity is getting out of season, it is time for me to get back to my music toys.

Nok21

@Nok21 your generous post reminded me of my most important distraction, practicing music. I say practicing instead of playing because we do not have to be any good at it to enjoy and lose ourselves in it. I goof around a lot with tin whistles, low whistles, cane flutes, and harmonicas because the controlled breathing grounds me and these are affordable instruments. Long single meditative tones are something anyone can do or work up to doing. I am not a singer, but I bet lots of people sing to cope with chronic anxiety! I know music in general makes some people too emotional, so it is not for everyone. Hula hooping to favorite dance music or drumming (not just for girls anymore) is another anxiety killer strategy of mine. Now that gardening, my number one calming activity is getting out of season, it is time for me to get back to my music toys.

I'm glad I reminded you, albeit inadvertently!

Music is great, and your advice is solid too- just practicing, or picking up the dusty guitar for the first time is soothing. You don't have to be a rock-start to enjoy playing a guitar. I like vocals myself :rockon:

little maggie

Enchantre

Oil Painter
This is a great thread as others have said. This technique is not a solution for anxiety but is very effective at stopping panic attacks in many people: the diving reflex. Lots of descriptions on the internet but this is the clearest: http://www.self-helpapedia.com/thedivereflex.htm
For more science minded folk this explains what's going on in our bodies:http://physiologyonline.physiology.org/content/28/5/284
Just yesterday I tried splashing my face at the start of a hot flash to see if it would help...
I do a cold water splash every morning anyway.
I'll have to try that more on purpose.

Nok21

Just yesterday I tried splashing my face at the start of a hot flash to see if it would help...
I do a cold water splash every morning anyway.
I'll have to try that more on purpose.

Oh, who was our favorite historic figure who would pour freezing water over his head for stimulation.. oh what was his name.. Ludwing Van Beethoven!

He claimed it helped him dream up better music in addition to it stimulating his brain. I also do "cold water splashes" quite frequently, first thing in the morning usually and before bed as well.

Not sure if it affects your dreams, but it does calm me down and feel stimulating if the water is REALLY cold.

Top Bottom