Any advice about dealing with anxiety?

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Wish I could choose appropriate strains for my anxiety! These days things are looking up for me and I've been much better depression wise but anxiety is a nightmare and I've had quite some panic attacks lately!

Need to get me some more OL cbd oils!

Vaping is my medicine also.

I haven't had benzos in the house in ages. I don't want drugs of addiction in my house. I've chased that dragon before and I am not interested in starting again.

I think having a good pen cart full of cbd oil is a must, I love the new Kiss dual coil alpha centauri cart because I can keep it in my pocket and get a nail sized hit very quickly wherever I am if I feel a panic attack coming on!

By the way, for those talking about chamomile tinctures above, I am not sure if you guys are familiar but a long while back I made some very nice chamomile QWISO sap. It dabbed very clean and was super tasty. Might try my hand at it again sometime soon with all the new tech I've developed since then! :)

Chamomile is nice as a mild relaxer, but I would not be relying on it for major league anxiety!

@Joel W. bro, I feel for you, I had an ex who was shooting meth from quite a young age and she often reported feeling like she was still on it. Not too long after she got extremely sick and we had to end things (I went through hell and this was extremely damaging to my mental health in a lasting way, but I just can't hold it against her knowing what she'd been through in the past); she got back into it again - in part she said to get over anxiety. I believe her. I have never seen someone with such bad anxiety. It was heartbreaking.

Glad you managed to get out of that ice rabbit hole brother! Go easy on yourself, you've come a long way! Still do your best to take care of your partner, I know from my own behaviors without talking about ex's that we can really not treat our partners how we would like to (and really should) when we are overcome with depression/anxiety.

Be very careful with SSRI's. They fucked me. Lexapro took away my sex drive almost completely and it has not gotten back to normal ever since (stopped using it a year or two ago!) and I found if I didn't take my pill at the right time every day, my depression and anxiety were worse than ever!

There is a burgeoning body of psychiatric literature finding that past clinical studies may have significantly overblown the efficacy of SSRI's for depression because of publication bias amongst other problems (publication bias is the tendencies for journals to publish studies with significant findings rather than those that find little effect - subsequent meta-analyses can then be skewed as a result of the lack of published articles with less exciting findings).

Got really bad neurological side effects from the Lexapro too, especially when starting on it. These side effects themselves almost drove me to suicide once or twice.

If you ever got any questions about anything like this, just drop me a line my friend. I'm happy to help where I can and am a qualified research psychologist (not clinical!).
I know I sound like broken record?
However GIRL SCOUT COOKIES helps my anxiety!
I hope this strain is legally available where you live!

herbivore21

I know I sound like broken record?
However GIRL SCOUT COOKIES helps my anxiety!
I hope this strain is legally available where you live!
Bro, I wish I could get that one actually! I've never tried GSC.

That strain is one that I hear so much good stuff about from you guys in the US. It sounds amazing!

Alas, no strain is legal where I live yet :(

However, this looks to be changing as we speak, they just rescheduled cannabis from a poison to a therapeutic good here according to one of our provincial health ministers! :D

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
This thread is "one-of-a-kind". I'm a retired NYC fireman, retired in 2004 (went through 911). I've had anxiety from a very young age. There were incidents in early childhood. Anxiety never got better, I was always afraid of my parents dying, the end of the world, stuff like that.

Growing up in Brooklyn, I fell in with a tough crowd. Violence, drugs, jail, and worse. I began smoking pot at 15, and gave up all other drugs at 17 or 18. Exercise saved my life.

I became a member of the FDNY in 1982 and anxiety became a thing of the past. I was one of the "bravest", and I was euphoric. I remained a big pot head during this entire time. Really, hardly every drank, never drugs.

In 1999 I was diagnosed with Graves disease (thyroid eye) and fighting fires was behind me. I was CRUSHED. I lived for the feeling, the rush of working in super busy units, putting my life on the line, made everything else okay.

Then 911 happened. My anxiety exploded. The end of the world was hear. 343 of my brother perished. I went on effexor. It eventually worked. I when I came off 5 years later, all the problems got real bad again. Palpitations, frequent urination, throat spams, panic attacks.

After 5 years of suffering, I went back on an SSRI (Zoloft) which is supposedly lighter and much easier to stop. I was uunder control. About 2 years ago, things started to affect my marriage and my very "social" wife. Anxiety got real bad again, worse than ever. Right now things not so great. I taking 1.0 mg of valium daily, as well as a few beers. I have also been vaping as much as it takes to "medicate". I want to get off valum complety and stop drinking. I love vaping, but I have to admit, lately I've been getting anxiety on the only thing that always helped.

My question. I live in NYC area, there is no way I get to choose "strains". How can I get my weed to vape with the most anti-anxiety affects?

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I would use high temps and you can use a WT to cool the vapor. If you can get Indicas to go with that instead of a Sativa.

I too have suffered since a child from anxiety. I had periods of time over the years where it didn't affect me. I have to make sure I don't dwell of some thoughts that fuel the anxiety. Sometimes I wake up feeling that sense of dread. I'm not sure if I've had a dream that bothered me or if it's my brain.

Last edited:

Eschient

Giga-Dweebess
I've been making concentrates all night, so excuse me if I've already said this here or am otherwise making zero sense. :science::freak: :whoa:

@Bravesst you could try adding legal herbs to your rotation. Chamomile, lavender and stuff like that can be very helpful from both a vaping and aromatherapy standpoint.

I don't know how physically limited you are, but running and yoga have both been really helpful for me lately, especially while high. The slower the yoga the better for me because it takes a while to get my body to let go in a position - anxiety tends to make people so tense that they don't realize they are holding and clenching everywhere, heh.

Of course I also agree 100% with Ms. @CarolKing - higher temps are more relaxing. Maybe changing things up a bit will help, so if you can try that. Maybe even a small break or limiting the amount or time of day will help rebalance the levels in your system so you aren't hitting the anxiety levels. Especially since you are on a prescription and drinking daily. You gotta start trimming out some variables and I'm going to say start with the drinking, because that is a depressant and so is the Zoloft. I'm sure it's not doing you any favors.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
If I have a couple of drinks my anxiety is usually worse the next day. I have a lot of arthritis and alcohol will flair that up too. If you can try to curtail the alcohol - I realize you feel the need to self medicate and that is understandable. The cannabis will work better for you in the long run. I'm worried for you because you are on pharmaceuticals.

My mon was a very religious person and I would sit in church with her when I was a child. I would get so worried that I wouldn't be a good enough person and I would burn forever in hell. I was so relieved when my mom told me all children went to heaven. That's funny how we remember funny things like that. If you are a child and you worry a lot, thinking about burning in hell all the time is a serious matter.

Edit
Sometimes adults forget what it's like to be a child. I told myself when I was a child I would never forget what it was like when I became an adult. I remember this like it was yesterday and I'm 58. So as an adult I have always put myself in a child's shoes. First with my children and now with my job. We sometimes forget to look through the eyes of a child. Anyway, what I'm getting at is our personality and some of our frailties are formed as children. We change somewhat as we get older but something's are set. Something's are learned behavior and some things you are born with. Or things happen to you in life beyond your control and you have to go on from there.

@Bravesst you have gone through a lot in life and I wish you only good times from now on.:tup: As Rude Boy always says. I'm so glad you found FC.

Last edited:

HomeFree

I find OG's to have good anti anxiety effects. So long as it is the real deal or real deal cross that turned out to be much like the original. ANY time I feel stressed out, anxious, etc I always reach for an OG or something else that is calming and helps my mental health in general. Usually I don't care for OG's other than the taste, but it seems like it stops whatever form of anxiety I have very well while giving me a sense of well being at the same time. I also know that most lemon flavored strains are great for nausea for me for some reason. Not that OG is strongly lemon flavored, just making an example.

The other stuff is eating well, getting plently of exercise, some form of meditation, recreation, having friends, and getting enough sleep. After that you culd try therapy, like group therapy, 1 on 1, hypnotherapy, etc. Also stuff like massage, accupuncture/pressure can help along with changing whatever it is in your life that is causing the anxiety, and letting go of stuff that is out of your control.

People also swear by homeopathy, and even though IMO it is snake oil, maybe it would help?

Other herbs that help with anxiety:

Magnolia Bark (the 98% honikiol/magnolol or bark itself)
Red Sage (the lipstick red colored extract, think it is 40% pure - Salvia Miltiorrhyza - sure I fucked up the spelling)
Corydalis root
Kava for acute anxiety
L-Tryptophan
Real deal catuaba bark, will put lead in your pencil as well
L-theanine, I wrote it off years ago and started trying some again recently, and it seems to work, just doesn't have a very noticeable effect other than not being anxious
chamomile and mint with cream

There is other stuff as well, sure I will think of it later. Best thing to do is obviously get to the root of anxiety and not treat it with outside substances, in my opinion.

I hope you feel better, lwein. I'm just trying to get you to use more pot so I can have the lowest tolerance here, HA!!! :)

Nah, I found a club that has very decent medicine for a decent price so I can now afford to use more, instead of getting grams that cost $25 out the door (one place was $26.40!). It's outdoor or warehouse stuff, but it is still incredibly tasty and has a good effect and bang for the buck and generaly hasn't ben hacked to bits by a machine trimmer, from what I have seen. Plus the budtenders actually know what they are talking about, or at least one does who is always there. Just goes to show you not to have preconceived notions about people or to judge a book by it's cover.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I've been making concentrates all night, so excuse me if I've already said this here or am otherwise making zero sense. :science::freak: :whoa:

@Bravesst you could try adding legal herbs to your rotation. Chamomile, lavender and stuff like that can be very helpful from both a vaping and aromatherapy standpoint.

I don't know how physically limited you are, but running and yoga have both been really helpful for me lately, especially while high. The slower the yoga the better for me because it takes a while to get my body to let go in a position - anxiety tends to make people so tense that they don't realize they are holding and clenching everywhere, heh.

Of course I also agree 100% with Ms. @CarolKing - higher temps are more relaxing. Maybe changing things up a bit will help, so if you can try that. Maybe even a small break or limiting the amount or time of day will help rebalance the levels in your system so you aren't hitting the anxiety levels. Especially since you are on a prescription and drinking daily. You gotta start trimming out some variables and I'm going to say start with the drinking, because that is a depressant and so is the Zoloft. I'm sure it's not doing you any favors.

I'm not physically limited at all. I had an exercise book published in 2000, and continue to train firefighter candidates (as well as many others). My kettlebell workouts do help tremendously. When I can settle my brain, Yoga is awesome as well.

I've never been a drinker, and I'm motivated right now to stop, except maybe for a social occasion, and then limit to one or two. I wanna stop the valium, but it makes me sleep at 1.0 mg. I don't take that all day (and I want you to know, I only drink a few beers in the eve).

I get a lot of pressure from my therapist, wife, to stay on Zoloft (better than valium and cannabis to them). The last time I quit the SSRI, is when things go so hairy. I'm on the lowest dose of Zoloft you can take (many take double my dose).

I'm going to go at higher temps, and smoke less. I'm using a Mighty it's easy to control. Maybe I can pick up a water tool, but I know very little about glass and such.

Thank You all!!!

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I almost exclusively use Indica because of my anxiety. If you're in a legal state, I find the dab tek white carts are great for medicating for anxiety as the doses are very low per puff. 4 puffs medicates me before bed, 2 puffs gives me a lot of anxiety relief without the high. I use this throughout the day, 2 puffs every 2 hours like clockwork.

I'm currently vaping white rhino and it is working out very well for me. I hope you're making progress with all the suggestions =)

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I almost exclusively use Indica because of my anxiety. If you're in a legal state, I find the dab tek white carts are great for medicating for anxiety as the doses are very low per puff. 4 puffs medicates me before bed, 2 puffs gives me a lot of anxiety relief without the high. I use this throughout the day, 2 puffs every 2 hours like clockwork.

I'm currently vaping white rhino and it is working out very well for me. I hope you're making progress with all the suggestions =)

I'm in NY, not really a choice. I'd bet it's not INDica though. How can you tell if the strain is indica?

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I'm in NY, not really a choice. I'd bet it's not INDica though. How can you tell if the strain is indica?

The product is labeled Indica with the strain. The effects are similar to what I would read on the particilar strain.

For me it's easy to tell. If I feel more sedated and less uplifted it's generally an Indica or indica dominant hybrid.

mephisto

@Bravesst please pm me for some further suggestions to battle your anxiety, get off of ssri's and get a better night of sleep. I have been battling chronic depression, panic attacks, and generalized anxiety disorder for 20+ years. Currently, I am free of all ssri's . My biggest battle was finding a level of calm and clarity that I could establish as a general baseline. I still have peaks and valleys with my mental state, but the majority of my symptoms are well managed.

ABV can be very helpful with relaxing, sedating. Edibles can be a terrifying experience if not done with discretion. The worst part of edibles for me is self-titrating (test dosing). Too many variables with the edible for me to rely on for consistent results.

Eschient

Giga-Dweebess
Does ABV, edibiles, have any value here?

After multiple attempts, I've found edibles just don't work for me. I made ABV brownies this past weekend. My husband ate 1, he was feeling awesome, 2 he was couchlocked all night. I ate 4 and the most I got was slightly nauseous and jittery, probably mostly due to 800lbs of sugar in the brownies.

BUT I got completely off my face from handling small amounts of the ABV oil. So I would suggest doing the ABV coconut oil. Use a virgin organic coconut oil so you can use it in cooking or topically if edibles aren't for you. Unlike the edibles, using it topically gave me a very mellow, relaxed feeling that so far has been far easier to dose.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/easy-abv-coconut-oil-recipe-crockpot.4419/
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/pain-relief-abv-massage-oil.13588/

I love ABV. It's like getting a whole other strain for free lol.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@Bravesst please pm me for some further suggestions to battle your anxiety, get off of ssri's and get a better night of sleep. I have been battling chronic depression, panic attacks, and generalized anxiety disorder for 20+ years. Currently, I am free of all ssri's . My biggest battle was finding a level of calm and clarity that I could establish as a general baseline. I still have peaks and valleys with my mental state, but the majority of my symptoms are well managed.

ABV can be very helpful with relaxing, sedating. Edibles can be a terrifying experience if not done with discretion. The worst part of edibles for me is self-titrating (test dosing). Too many variables with the edible for me to rely on for consistent results.
will do

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
My doc talked me into taking Celexa (20mg citalopram) for 6 months. He says there are no addictive aspects to it and after 6 months I can just stop taking it. The side effect seem to affect younger people more and seem minor. I have been taking it for the last two weeks and my mood does seems to have improved a bit. This could be a placebo effect from that fact that I am at least trying to doing something to get better? Not sure how long it actually takes to start working?

So far, it does not seem to be messing with my sleep or my high. I am also gaining weight again. That is very good for me as I have lost 12 lbs since february unintentionally from loss of appetite.

Also, I swear I can hear things that I normally don't hear or maybe that I just never noticed before like the squeak my car tires make when driving in the hot sun at speeds over a crack in the asphalt that has been patched with tar . New gear noises in my transmission and valve train noises under the hood are freaking me out.. It is a very weird feeling! I constantly hear cars in the driveway but when I go out to look, there is nothing there and the sound is far away on the next road over.

These "extra" sounds tend to lead to me being more paranoia I think? Hopefully I will get used to them it and it will get better.

I would be interested to know if anyone has personal experience with celexa, good or bad?

Thanks

grokit

well-worn member
I've noticed that sativa, and sativa-dominant strains don't help me with anxiety so much. I prefer indica-dominant hybrids in the daytime to help with inflammation, and straight indica at night.

Last night I powered off all the wi-fi and a/v in the attic bedroom I sleep in, I think I slept better.
Definitely better than the night before:zzz:

lwien

Man, I feel for you guys. I had an anxiety attack once in my life and I thought I was having a heart attack and that I was going to die. Went to the emergency room. Diagnosis..........anxiety attack.

I got my own issues to deal with but anxiety is not one of them but I sure as hell don't want to add it to the list.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all of ya......

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
@Joel W. I know it's not what you wanna hear;
From personal experience a 20mg daily intake of Citalopram will be as near impossible to quit taking on your own after 6 months use as 1 mg of Xanax daily for that amount of time. Hate to say it but Chances are you'll have to now take another SSRI or low dose of a Benzodiazepine for the rest of your life to stave off the anxiety, insomnia and paranoia/delusional thoughts that come with quitting these classes of chemicals after prolonged (longer then 10-14 days) use.

Good luck to you. Hope you have an easier time then I've had. Uninformed Doctors Suck.

ginolicious

Man, I feel for you guys. I had an anxiety attack once in my life and I thought I was having a heart attack and that I was going to die. Went to the emergency room. Diagnosis..........anxiety attack.

I got my own issues to deal with but anxiety is not one of them but I sure as hell don't want to add it to the list.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all of ya......

You learn to control it and recognize the signs. But yeah it's no fun.

lwien

You learn to control it and recognize the signs. But yeah it's no fun.

Understood, but man, when it hits and you have no experience with it and no idea what in the hell it is, it can be scary as hell.

I have no idea what brought it on. I was just sitting at my desk at work and then it just came on out of nowhere. Hyperventilating, heart pounding, sweating......thought for sure it was my heart.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
I know it's not what you wanna hear;

No worries Sir! I did ask for the good or bad, so thanks! ;)

My anxiety I have had for so long I am used to it. Exercise and mixing strains with dabs helps calm me. My depression though is harder for me to deal with as the lows are pretty low and I just can't explain why or what sets it off.. I just get mean/sad for no reason and it is affecting my marriage.

I know my sister did not have any problems being on or getting off celexa after 6 months and she claims it worked really well with her depression. Only after talking with her and my doc did I decide to take it and not lightly at that.

Top Bottom