Am I doing this wrong? Vapor sessions getting really weak.

Hey first post, I've known about this forum for a while but never felt like discussing vaporization til now heh.

I like to use my vaporstar when I don't want to blow smoke out the window but lately I've been hitting it with solid inhales 3-5 times with barely any effect on a full bowl. And regular burning gets me blasted in comparison. I'm wondering if you're supposed to be hitting it like 10 times to get nice effects, or if I'm doing it wrong even though I feel the vapor each time and hold it in sufficiently. I don't know why it wouldn't be working as long as those two things are true. I thought it might be due to not getting as much vapor out as I'm supposed to at a time due to bad technique or if the bowl is too loose in my downstem. However I can't let the flame inside the vs for much longer than normal without burning the material, and I don't know how the connection could be significantly weak if it's strong enough to let me pull a flame through the vs.

Has anyone else had to improve their technique to get better results out of this? Or is mine just defective lol? Don't tell me this is all vaporization has to offer :p

forever blasted,

Nycdeisel

I guess thats all a cheap, lighter based vape has to offer :p

Get a vaporizer that doesnt use a flame. If your looking for a portable/stealth or quick hitting vape then look into a MFLB. However, thats just one of many KINDS of vapes, and you really cant compare totally different types of vaporizers because they each serve their own purpose.
There are other types of units to look into, so start reading! :cool:

Nycdeisel,
Oh, I don't have the funds to dive into vaporization like that, I came here to make the most with what I have :D

forever blasted,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
well for starters... since no one else asked... are you getting any visible exhale? Do you see the bong fill up with vapor? How long are you holding it in for?
You should see the vapor fill the bong. If all you get is taste and no visible vapor you should try inhaling slower, slow down your draw speed. You should only hear a light whistling sound as you inhale. If it is a strong whistle, it means you are inhaling too fast and introducing too much cold air into the mix. When you see the vapor enter the bong you can usually go a few extra seconds with the flame.
Hold your hit in for at least a minimum of 8 full seconds.

DevoTheStrange,

george

How much have you used your Vaporstar? It's definately one of those vapes that take some certain technique.

I have a vapo-bowl, which is quite similar. I like to inhale slow, so that my flame stays big but still gets pulled into the hole.

george,
DevoTheStrange said:
well for starters... since no one else asked... are you getting any visible exhale? Do you see the bong fill up with vapor? How long are you holding it in for?
You should see the vapor fill the bong. If all you get is taste and no visible vapor you should try inhaling slower, slow down your draw speed. You should only hear a light whistling sound as you inhale. If it is a strong whistle, it means you are inhaling too fast and introducing too much cold air into the mix. When you see the vapor enter the bong you can usually go a few extra seconds with the flame.
Hold your hit in for at least a minimum of 8 full seconds.

That's what I'm talking about. Yes I can see the vapor while exhaling, not while filling the bong though. I usually inhale with the flame for 6 seconds, then 4 each consecutive time. I don't wait to see or taste anything but I always get the taste by the end of each hit. I just thought the vapor isn't visible unless condensed like an exhale (well I know you should see vapor with mj but I am also using spice so I thought it might be different like that) .That is interesting you mention to slow down the inhale. I have been inhaling kind of fast to get a louder whistle which I thought was optimal but I'll try to do an entire bowl with a soft whistle.

And I often hold it in for 10+ seconds but sometimes as low as 5, and I've always varied it. I figured 5 would be a good minimum but next time I'll just go for 10 seconds with each hit. Alright I'll try those recommendations and see how it works. Thanks.

forever blasted,

Nycdeisel

In that case, it could be user error(seems to be^^) or the vaporizer itself. I thought it may be the element on it wearing down but reading the rest of the story, I see you just need to understand a bit more about how vaporizers and vapor works.

Vapor takes longer for your body to absorb, so you should always aim to hold it in for at least 10 seconds. You can try the rebreathing method if holding with one breathe becomes difficult.

With almost any vaporizer, the temperature of the vapor is DIRECTLY controlled by the speed of your pull, so slow down if you want it hotter, and speed up if your nearing combustion.

Nycdeisel,
^^^ that should help too thanks. I have managed to get more vapor out of a bowl but I can't stop it from combusting too often. Will keep trying.

forever blasted,

djonkoman

you say you're also using spice... spice as in 'legal bud' ?
because I've heard varying reports about vaping that(never tried it myself and never will, I'd rather have the cheaper better real deal, but from what I've read some say vaporizing legal bud doesn't work at all, but for som it does work)

djonkoman,
Nycdeisel said:
Thats really the biggest con about lighter based vapes.
Well except glass bulbs but that's another story heh.

djonkoman said:
you say you're also using spice... spice as in 'legal bud' ?
because I've heard varying reports about vaping that(never tried it myself and never will, I'd rather have the cheaper better real deal, but from what I've read some say vaporizing legal bud doesn't work at all, but for som it does work)

there's all kinds of brands but yeah spice. it does work i don't know of any synthetic cannabinoids that don't vaporize properly but if it isn't working for someone it's most likely they got bunk shit. Bunk or just plain horrible quality spice is common when you're looking in the wrong places. But know where to look and it comes cheaper, stronger, and easier to control than mj. After all most of the active chemicals are just metabolites of THC, nothing edgy about that.

forever blasted,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Also keep in mind you will build a tolerance to spice much faster vaping it than you would smoking it.

DevoTheStrange,

darkrom

Great Scott!
"spice" (JWH) use will give you a NASTY tolerance. Plus the shit is bad for you and has been shown to contain cancerous things. Not a good choice FYI.

darkrom,
Oh please you're the expert on spice here because you read a few experience reports? Why don't you try it before acting authoritative? "JWH" is a very large family of cannabinoids all with varying effects and properties. JWH-018, the most famous of the family but definitely not the only one used, and by far not the best, has been linked to carcinogens but afaik it's inconclusive on how much is unhealthy. On the other hand a large handful of the JWH family has been shown to shrink tumors in mice. THC also has cancer-fighting properties. Like I said they're mostly metabolites of THC or other cannabinoids found in cannabis. They're all fucking cannabinoids. The problem is when they are synthesized to +95% purity and concentrated onto smoking material, it is easy to use way too much.

forever blasted,
1: Don't do spice. It's probably not even really analogues of MJ but a devils brew of carcinogens and half-baked herbal highs. The English did a study and found most of the samples contained no analogues.

2: the vaporstar is a completely reasonable vaporizer, capable of getting higher temps than many battery or wall powered vaporizers. Make sure you are stirring after every hit, try using a jet lighter, try and rethink your technique. Honestly, if the vaporstar was all I ever knew about in the world of vaporizing, or if it fell into my lap for free at a younger age, I would be perfectly happy with the results it provides and not go out of my way to get another model.

Important edit: have you taken the screen out of the heat diffuser? By "heat diffuser" I mean the metal cap. It has a stainless steel screen on the underside to restrict airflow for idiots who would otherwise burn their material, in order to soften the learning curve and ultimately cripple the potential effectiveness. Removing the screen in the vaporstar (and vapobowl) massively improves it.

charliedontsurf,

momatik

There was a thread not too long ago of another user who had spice ruin cannabis for them. Apparently it's very potent and increases your tolerance significantly. The OP wasn't getting high after vaping an entire gram in one sitting. Only after a 2 week t-break was he able to get stoned from a normal session.

momatik,

GoGlass

I had a Vaporstar for 3 months. In my opinion, i don't consider this object like a vaporizer, even if you can vaporize sometimes. It's simply a cheap toy. I have tried all this stuff, and the glass stuff, like the Vapolution Pocket Vaporizer and the Clones of it....bullshit.... Don't work !!!
All your problems came from that !!!

If you wanna go portable in my opinion TWO WAYS : vaporgenie or IoLite.
Personnaly i find the ioLite a little 'too light' but it's convinient.
I love the vaporgenie, difference with the vaporstar is like between a Fiat Panda and a Porsche.

GoGlass,

Nycdeisel

GoGlass said:
I had a Vaporstar for 3 months. In my opinion, i don't consider this object like a vaporizer, even if you can vaporize sometimes. It's simply a cheap toy. I have tried all this stuff, and the glass stuff, like the Vapolution Pocket Vaporizer and the Clones of it....bullshit.... Don't work !!!

I love the vaporgenie, difference with the vaporstar is like between a Fiat Panda and a Porsche.

No mention of the MFLB in the portable department? Really? :rolleyes: :lol:

Nycdeisel,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Nycdeisel said:
GoGlass said:

No mention of the MFLB in the portable department? Really? :rolleyes: :lol:

The MfLB is definitely smaller than the iolite iirc, havent used an iolite in a bit...

IMO the MfLB should be included in more than just the portable categories, esp with the PA, but it is also IMO the most portable Vape out there....

Purpl3_Haz3,

gettin lifted

psychonaut
momatik said:
There was a thread not too long ago of another user who had spice ruin cannabis for them. Apparently it's very potent and increases your tolerance significantly. The OP wasn't getting high after vaping an entire gram in one sitting. Only after a 2 week t-break was he able to get stoned from a normal session.

First off that post was about me.

Here I am months later and im still battling tolerance issues from jwh. Took a 2 week tolerance break a while back, got barely high for a while and now im back to not getting high at all.

That shit greatly fucks up your receptors and may be the reason youre not getting as high as you want to from your herbs.

I'm back to having to take another break to hopefully finally correct this issue.

I know for a fact this isn't thc related at all because before i ever used that shit I was a daily smoker/vaper for the past 7 years with no tolerance issues.

Just something you may want to look into man.

gettin lifted,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Nycdeisel said:
I guess thats all a cheap, lighter based vape has to offer :p

Get a vaporizer that doesnt use a flame. If your looking for a portable/stealth or quick hitting vape then look into a MFLB. However, thats just one of many KINDS of vapes, and you really cant compare totally different types of vaporizers because they each serve their own purpose.
There are other types of units to look into, so start reading! :cool:

i couldn't disagree more.

my glass straw gets me far more dosh/ mass than does my herbalaire
forever blasted said:
That's what I'm talking about. Yes I can see the vapor while exhaling, not while filling the bong though.

this means that the air in the bong is less than, or is just saturated with vapor, since you see condensate on the exhale, it is possible the condensate is from water in your air tract, or (more likely) from the condensation of the resin vapor as your lungs cool the vapor.

i'd say that you should try getting the bowl hotter to better mimic the effects of smoking.

OO,
Top Bottom