• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

allergies to cannabis?

Bezerkben

To start off, I don't know if I'm going crazy or if its actually happening, but i think I'm becoming allergic to cannabis. I have found over the last week or so when i vape i seem to have a dry cough (not something thats linked with vaping)right? Along with the dry cough i have had sneezing spasms and some itchy eye/skin. I have been vaping now for about 7 months and have only started noticing these symptoms within the last few weeks. The part that throws me off is, ill become itchy and sneeze during random times of the day, never when in direct contact with cannabis or shortly after.

Could i be developing an allergy or is it just coincidence?
let me know what you think

HerbalHealing

I heard its rare, but possible.

Could it be the season? Pollen grains and other increased allergens in the air these days? Even if you never were allergic to them before, these things can come on later in life, or disappear on their own.

If cannabis was the allergen I would expect the reaction to appear shortly or immediately after exposure to it, but that's just my intuition and not based on any facts I know of.

Myself I find that some strains give my throat more grief than others.
Also, vaping moist material is the worst thing on my throat.

Maybe start mentally logging times between cannabis exposure and the reaction to see if the time differential is consistent or not.

Also see the recent http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/hemp-allergy.14267/#post-611849

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Maybe it's the particular strain you are using?

Sometimes all of a sudden you can develop allergies where you haven't in the past. Since this is happening now it's probably from outside sources. You could even be allergic to some sort of animal hair?

neogitus

To start off, I don't know if I'm going crazy or if its actually happening, but i think I'm becoming allergic to cannabis. I have found over the last week or so when i vape i seem to have a dry cough (not something thats linked with vaping)right? Along with the dry cough i have had sneezing spasms and some itchy eye/skin. I have been vaping now for about 7 months and have only started noticing these symptoms within the last few weeks. The part that throws me off is, ill become itchy and sneeze during random times of the day, never when in direct contact with cannabis or shortly after.

It's possible. There have been many a time where I have been handling large amounts of weed with my shirt off. And lots of crumbs from the leaves fall off onto me, and my stomach becomes red and gets hives. The weird thing is it they usually last less than an hours unless the exposure is prolonged.

On the other hand with smoking I have only experienced an allergic reaction to weed once. I knew where the weed came from it wasn't garbage by a long shot, but I took a bong rip, and my tongue started tingling and after a second hit, my tongue went numb and I developed a bump on my lip like I was stung by a bee. Again, lasted less than an hour, had me pretty worried at the time.

It's possible you could be allergic to something that's in the weed, or its contaminated with some other type of allergen. Could honestly be strain specific though.

grokit

well-worn member
THC exists to defend against insects and other natural predators to the mj plant, so it's not surprising that it would irritate unprotected human skin as well.

HerbalHealing

Good ideas all...

I know that if the plants are not properly flushed & cured, there could be remnants of certain chemicals or even mold.

I recall not wanting to throw out some moldy weed once and used it over the week. All week I had a sore throat and swollen glands in my neck as if I was sick....won't be doing that again.

I can only suggest keeping a log (even if just mentally) of strains, symptoms, and time between exposure to reaction, in hopes some sort of pattern emerges for you.

Ice

The only allergic reaction I had come by when I was still vaping was a strange rash along the top of my left thigh, it went away as fast as it came (overnight).

Ice,

arf777

No longer dogless
This does not sound like an allergy to me, or at least not an allergy to the actives in the plant. My mother and older sister are both officially allergic to THC (extremely rare) and it makes them damn near psychotic- hallucinations, clinical levels of paranoia, other psych symptoms. No coughing, skin irritations, or the like.

What you are describing sounds a lot more like a reaction to something else in/on the plant material. Saw symptoms like this when I was at EPA and we looked at the affects of pesticides and fertilizer that had been used in/on tobacco. I'd try a different strain or different source for the same strain.

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Bezerkben,

...don't know if I'm going crazy...

If you are then that makes two of us. :nod:

...i seem to have a dry cough (not something thats linked with vaping) right?

If i don't wash my throat by taking a sip of water before and after a toke then chances are i'll get the 1st warning sign within the next minute... It's like irritation occurs on contact, or at least at first.

...i have had sneezing spasms and some itchy eye/skin.

Deja vu, except i call it rafale sneezing and soared eyes. Though i'm sure it looks just the as miserable.

109.gif

...been vaping now for about 7 months and have only started noticing these symptoms within the last few weeks.

My trouble started about 6 months after i had started modding my VG pipe, it didn't seem to cause such severe concerns while i was using my HerbalAire before (~25 months) - but in retrospective i can see now how it became necessary for my to address dryness issues even with the HA, though i just thought i didn't like excess dryness or my tokes were simply too potent and dense.

...ill become itchy and sneeze during random times of the day...

If i had too much the night before then not long after i wake up it will start without any apparent cause, but often enough i find relief by chewing 3 pieces of strong aromatic gum at once to make it pass for the most part.

:D

...never when in direct contact with cannabis or shortly after.

So far i rarely experienced itchy skin unless there was contact and this doesn't occur frequently, not to mention i suspect there may be opportunities for indirect factors...

Maybe it's time to try blending with pre-vaped (depleted) material to render your dosage milder... I'd suggest exploring different setups/temperature too.

:peace:

thcissues

Think I'm allergic to THC. Had to stop smoking and vaping. Just made brownies from Magic Butter machine. I get ear aches, mucus & nausea. Tried Nasonex, nebulizer etc. One bite of brownie now sets of these symptoms. At first I was fine. Also have severe allergies. Living w/chronic pain, IBS. Desperate patient. Al the OTC drugs don't work. Tired of getting sick. Need THC for my pain & mood. Do't kkow what to do. So desperate for answers.

Bezerkben

Think I'm allergic to THC. Had to stop smoking and vaping. Just made brownies from Magic Butter machine. I get ear aches, mucus & nausea. Tried Nasonex, nebulizer etc. One bite of brownie now sets of these symptoms. At first I was fine. Also have severe allergies. Living w/chronic pain, IBS. Desperate patient. Al the OTC drugs don't work. Tired of getting sick. Need THC for my pain & mood. Do't kkow what to do. So desperate for answers.

have you heard of cbd oil or extracts. this could solve your problem? as far as i know they don't have any thc in them(don't hold me to it tho).

Bezerkben,

thcissues

I used the browneis using CBD cannibus; I JUST bought the Magicbutter machine....I stopped smoking or vaping...one bite of the brownies and I am getting these awful symptoms. I have a very weak immune system. I never thought I'd be allergic;the first 3 years I used it, I was fine... looks like I developed an allegy to THC. I don't know WhAT to do....trying to stay calm....but i slept all day; i am depressed at the situation...

thcissues,

Bezerkben

I used the browneis using CBD cannibus; I JUST bought the Magicbutter machine....I stopped smoking or vaping...one bite of the brownies and I am getting these awful symptoms. I have a very weak immune system. I never thought I'd be allergic;the first 3 years I used it, I was fine... looks like I developed an allegy to THC. I don't know WhAT to do....trying to stay calm....but i slept all day; i am depressed at the situation...
Maybe your allergic to cbd ?:)

Bezerkben,

SamWin69

Maybe it's the pollen irritating your body. I find when I vape with very very fresh weed and add crystal to it I always cough. I can feel the pollen itch my throat too

SamWin69,

215z

I wonder if you'd react the same way to extracts and concentrates.

215z,
I have an allergy to Tobacco so it is possible. Smoking cigarettes or even Ejuice with nicotine makes me sick and have hives. Smelling the actual smoke makes me itchy, sneeze and feel sick as well. I would take a break from pot altogether for a week. If you feel better within 3 days I'm sure you know what the problem is

nerdysai

I have wicked bad allergies myself. I go to an allergist every week for injection serum therapy(It's working and I highly recommend it if you have allergies). After a cold last month, I haven't been able to smoke out of a water pipe. I get a wicked dry cough after smoking for a good hour. I smoke out of a scientific glass piece with two filtration systems plus a carbon filter attachment. It hits as clean as a volcano or any other vaping mechanism. I've completely switched to vaping since but have been itching to talk to my allergist about testing to see if I'm developing an allergy to cannabis smoke. I will get back to you on this topic <3

nerdysai,
Reactions: Egzoset

elvenflow

A common cause of allegic cough with late season cannabis is Botrytis (a fungus). Gypsy Dave Mills has an amusing story of nearly dying from it on his first trip to Morocco. Nothing like smoking all the weed you want for the first time as a kid and having it make you mortally ill. Have you checked the interior of the bud carefully? Its white and can be missed. Mold and fungus allergies can make you a very picky cannabis consumer.
Tobacco often contains mold, and causes similar problems in the susceptible.
http://www.merckmanuals.com/profess...ng_diseases/hypersensitivity_pneumonitis.html

Last edited:

lion

Wow, sorry to hear some of you are allergic to "Herb." Sounds like allergies to mold and/or pollen which can irritate your throat and lungs causing these types of reactions. My live-in girlfriend(now my lovely wife of over 36 years)at the time back in the middle 1970's was allergic to "Snow." Every time she would do some it would give her "Hay Fever" type symptoms and make her miserable for days...so she had to stop!!!

lion,
Reactions: grokit
Top Bottom