• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Alivi8 Vaporizer (portable pipe)

darkrom

Great Scott!
Sorry if my post sounded like I was accusing anything of anything at all. I just noticed that MOST times on this site people posting info about unheard of vapes usually are new site members and it is suspicious. Suspicious is not the same as guilty ;) I DID in fact somehow miss the post where the OP said they were not affiliated with the company. No harm meant. Sorry everyone. Just something interesting to keep an eye on with future new vapes.

darkrom,

lwien

darkrom said:
Sorry if my post sounded like I was accusing anything of anything at all. I just noticed that MOST times on this site people posting info about unheard of vapes usually are new site members and it is suspicious. Suspicious is not the same as guilty ;) I DID in fact somehow miss the post where the OP said they were not affiliated with the company. No harm meant. Sorry everyone. Just something interesting to keep an eye on with future new vapes.

How DARE you do something like that? ;)

lwien,

Abysm

Gotta love the suspicions.

Also does a lighter based system have any advantages over batteries in anything other than ease of fuel availability? Is there an additional learning curve with different types of lighters being used, due to flame settings?

Abysm,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
lwien said:
mvapes said:
It loos very sheek...

It loos very sheek?

lol. That doesn't sound like you're high. It sounds like you're drunk. ;)

Thanks Iwien, drinking ain't my game but I'll keep in mind next time I toast the cheese :leaf:
I need to set my spell check to automatic...:lol:

mvapes,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Abysm said:
Is there an additional learning curve with different types of lighters being used, due to flame settings?

yup...with a flame powered unit you control the heat. You have to keep the flame heating the unit until your tastebuds tell you it is hot enough. It's tricky at first, but after a few uses it becomes second nature.

stickstones,

pasterino

I ordered it today.

Has anyone tried to vaporize Salvia Extract with a pipe-like vaporizer (or MFLB)?
And if you have how much is needed and how to :) (Salvia 15x)?

The information I found was really different..

pasterino,

Empherio

Arbiter of the Arbitrary
It looks like an Amazed pipe with a different (ceramic filter?) end piece, so I'm asuming this is a RedEye product. I have an Amazed and I like it fine- small, no released smoke, stealthy, the only neg being the restricted draw and frequent requirement for cleaning. If my asumptions are corect, then this sounds like a damn good idea for a wee portable vape.

Need to see a demo vid. I also wonder if the end is compatible with the Amazed. That would be sweet.

Empherio,

Dudeson 1882

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is everything I wanted to say & ask really. I too like the amazed pipes a lot & occasionally still use mine so am intrigued by this.

(for cleaning the amazed I find little & often works with the occasional full on iso clean - something small like a needle with kitchen roll on the end dragged through the path works really well esp if still warm - then clean out the tar catcher bit before the path & its good to go again in a hurry)

Dudeson 1882,

TheFourTwenty

Testing and Improving Paraphenalia for 14 years
This is a Beautiful Device. I have likely $9000.00 worth of vaporizers that have now become obsolete! As a past time I test Paraphenalia. Alivi8 not only went through my gauntlet, Alivi8 made my gauntlet of tests look stupid! No pipe (little own a vape) has ever done this... First the Kick Test... I dusted the best Herb I could find ( I live in Canada, so pretty good stuff ) and packed her tight. screwed it to the body and with a normal BIC lighter I did what the instruction pamphlet said and got knocked on my Ass. Now please understand I smoke honey oil religiously...I don\'t get knocked on my ass to easy... The vapor was smooth, and extremely potent...but then I thought...marijuana kinda varies on contributing properties...better try honey oil. I sanded down one of the replacement filters I got with the repair kit i bought until it was a perfect 1/2 scale. stuck her in the bowl end about half way (tapers) and she sat nice. I dripped some honey oil on it and melted it in nice and screwed it back together. Again I did what the instructions told me but rotated quicked to make sure the oil didn\'t run around. I had no idea what I was getting myself into... I couldn\'t feel how much vapor I was getting due to it\'s smoothness... After my nap I had to show everyone! which is where the next test comes in. Stealth Test! I walked up to 30 or so people and showed it to them and asked them what it was...Most people said pen/laser...a couple girls blushed...and yes I even tested a City Cop. He shrugged. He had no Idea.... As I was walking home I seen my test building. My test building is the tallest building in the city that I can get to the roof. This is where I throw paraphenalia from to see if it passes my durability test. I'm kind of hard on things... Durability Test! Simply put I tossed it off and it bounced alot...I climbed down, picked it up and had a nice good toke. Sat under a tree for a bit until going home. Now the Heat Test. The head heated up quite alot but was a simple fix. grabbed the 2 rubber rings from the kit and rolled them on the head. The Body stayed quite cool. As did the mouth piece... I'm very impressed. I heated the head to well over 800 degrees while drawing air through it and the backside was at a comfortable 36 degrees celcius. The Biggest 2 problems with most flame vaporizers these days are: 1: The Rock Filter (spun granite, Lava rock) is used to cool the air and also convert the flame to radiant heat. problem is it\'s really hard to not burn a hole in and through the filter of most other vapes...and once you have...not only is it just a pipe now...you can't even replace it...so now it's garbage. The metal filters in this system do not brake down from heat ranges capable of butane ignition. and if your buddy stabbs them they are easily replaced. 2: Aluminum Oxide. When you heat unanodized aluminum with a lighter...these metallic gasses collect in your system causing an assortment of acute neuro problems... Alivi8 doesn't fall into either of those 2 catagories. It is superior in every way. Not to mention nice to your wallet. 10/10 Alivi8!!! Great Job!!!

Highest Regards!!
TheFourTwenty..

mod note: If you have a question or comment regarding material safety, post it in General Discussion. Do not post it in a model thread.

TheFourTwenty,

EYE1DER

justin@red-eye.co.uk
High,

Just to introduce myself, I am Justin from Red-Eye UK the designer and manufacturer of Alivi8.
I was introduced to the site the other day and having read some of the comments thought I should
hook up with FC just in case anyone would like to ask me any questions about the product, as one or two
of the posts said they would also like to see a video we knocked up a quick 'un to put out there, its not the
best production, but it does hopefully give a clearer idea of the product.

Irie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m06q4RGNXJw

EYE1DER,

darco

TheFourTwenty said:
This is a Beautiful Device. I have likely $9000.00 worth of vaporizers that have now become obsolete! As a past time I test Paraphenalia. Alivi8 not only went through my gauntlet, Alivi8 made my gauntlet of tests look stupid! No pipe (little own a vape) has ever done this... First the Kick Test... I dusted the best Herb I could find ( I live in Canada, so pretty good stuff ) and packed her tight. screwed it to the body and with a normal BIC lighter I did what the instruction pamphlet said and got knocked on my Ass. Now please understand I smoke honey oil religiously...I don\'t get knocked on my ass to easy... The vapor was smooth, and extremely potent...but then I thought...marijuana kinda varies on contributing properties...better try honey oil. I sanded down one of the replacement filters I got with the repair kit i bought until it was a perfect 1/2 scale. stuck her in the bowl end about half way (tapers) and she sat nice. I dripped some honey oil on it and melted it in nice and screwed it back together. Again I did what the instructions told me but rotated quicked to make sure the oil didn\'t run around. I had no idea what I was getting myself into... I couldn\'t feel how much vapor I was getting due to it\'s smoothness... After my nap I had to show everyone! which is where the next test comes in. Stealth Test! I walked up to 30 or so people and showed it to them and asked them what it was...Most people said pen/laser...a couple girls blushed...and yes I even tested a City Cop. He shrugged. He had no Idea.... As I was walking home I seen my test building. My test building is the tallest building in the city that I can get to the roof. This is where I throw paraphenalia from to see if it passes my durability test. I'm kind of hard on things... Durability Test! Simply put I tossed it off and it bounced alot...I climbed down, picked it up and had a nice good toke. Sat under a tree for a bit until going home. Now the Heat Test. The head heated up quite alot but was a simple fix. grabbed the 2 rubber rings from the kit and rolled them on the head. The Body stayed quite cool. As did the mouth piece... I'm very impressed. I heated the head to well over 800 degrees while drawing air through it and the backside was at a comfortable 36 degrees celcius. The Biggest 2 problems with most flame vaporizers these days are: 1: The Rock Filter (spun granite, Lava rock) is used to cool the air and also convert the flame to radiant heat. problem is it\'s really hard to not burn a hole in and through the filter of most other vapes...and once you have...not only is it just a pipe now...you can't even replace it...so now it's garbage. The metal filters in this system do not brake down from heat ranges capable of butane ignition. and if your buddy stabbs them they are easily replaced. 2: Aluminum Oxide. When you heat unanodized aluminum with a lighter...these metallic gasses collect in your system causing an assortment of acute neuro problems... Alivi8 doesn't fall into either of those 2 catagories. It is superior in every way. Not to mention nice to your wallet. 10/10 Alivi8!!! Great Job!!!

Highest Regards!!
TheFourTwenty..

Thanks for the awesome review! Have you also reviewed the VaporGenie Bat SS? If yes, how does the Alivi8 compare to that? I am sure the Maze vapor path will add to the vapor quality, but how do the rest of the aspects compare? Also, how easy is it to accidentally light up the herbs and get smoke? And finally, the most important question for me, how easy is it to clean?

darco,

darco

EYE1DER said:
High,

Just to introduce myself, I am Justin from Red-Eye UK the designer and manufacturer of Alivi8.
I was introduced to the site the other day and having read some of the comments thought I should
hook up with FC just in case anyone would like to ask me any questions about the product, as one or two
of the posts said they would also like to see a video we knocked up a quick 'un to put out there, its not the

Irie!

Hey thanks for joining in here! You guys have some awesome products and I am in the process of deciding between the A'maze'd and the Bul-it, though this might not be the best place to discuss those products :) About Alivi8, while most of the pictures show off the maze (which deserves showing off) I am finding it hard to figure out how the herbs are kept from burning, and how is the Alivi8 different from the smoking pipes like the a'maze'd?

Also, what is the length of the air path in the Alivi8?

darco,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
EYE1DER said:
High,

Irie!

Hi and welcome. It's always great to see designers/manufacturers logging on and interacting with users and potential customers. It shows a confidence in your product that not all vaporizer companies share.

The ramrod thingie is interesting. Is it necessary and if so, what is the potential for losing it?

I noticed you didn't grind. Do you recommend using unground material? Would it be more effective if you did grind?

Also, I think your claim to the world's smallest vaporizer is on shaky ground. The Ubie, for example, also claims to be the world's smallest, and it looks smaller than yours to me. The MFLB is pretty small too, but harder to compare because of the shape. Best to stay away from such claims in my opinion.

pakalolo,

Dudeson 1882

Rather than use a lighter can you use beeline or a candle?

Is it possible to add a hole somewhere on the Alivi8 so it can be hung around your neck as the number of Amazed pipes I lost was unreal. Lost 3 in 1 day at Glastonbury once. Could you add that the Amazed as well?

darco said:
I am in the process of deciding between the A'maze'd and the Bul-it

Get the amazed. I've owned both & it handles & smokes slightly better although they are pretty much the same pipe. The bul-it is maybe stealthier if it is found in your room but I found a lot of people wanted to pick it up & play with a bullet if they saw it & then would realise its a pipe.

Also imagine this conversation:

"Whats this?"
"Its a bullet officer"
"Why have you got a bullet?
"............er............ um..................its a pipe .............."

The red eye gauzes are good quality & a perfect fit of course.

I must have tried just about every stealth pipe they sell at Edit & the Amazed was the best one I found by miles.

Dudeson 1882,

guardian

edit: looks awsome thanks for answers :) any tests done with torch lighter? thanks

guardian,

EYE1DER

justin@red-eye.co.uk
darco said:
Hey thanks for joining in here! You guys have some awesome products and I am in the process of deciding between the A'maze'd and the Bul-it, though this might not be the best place to discuss those products :) About Alivi8, while most of the pictures show off the maze (which deserves showing off) I am finding it hard to figure out how the herbs are kept from burning, and how is the Alivi8 different from the smoking pipes like the a'maze'd?

Also, what is the length of the air path in the Alivi8?

High,
first of all let me just clear up your question about A'maze'd v Bulit, for me the A'maze'd wins out n' out for
usability, style and stealth, the Bulit design came after the A'maze'd really to fulfill requests from my customers
comments, the only difference other than appearance is the extra length in smoke path (360mm) and a larger bowl.
Okay onto the Alivi8, in the vape end there are two 7mm filters with a 5mm gap before the stainless steel gauze, this air gap helps greatly in preventing burning, im not saying you cant burn it, but if you keep pulling a flame through once the flavour comes it may happen, from the lengthy period of prototype testing most of the guys only burnt it the once before the technique was learned, its all about the flavour without the heat as the maze path all be it quite short (110mm) in comparison to the A'maze'd (320mm) works a treat due to the added cooing fins ive added around the path.

Irie!

EYE1DER,

EYE1DER

justin@red-eye.co.uk
pakalolo said:
Hi and welcome. It's always great to see designers/manufacturers logging on and interacting with users and potential customers. It shows a confidence in your product that not all vaporizer companies share.

The ramrod thingie is interesting. Is it necessary and if so, what is the potential for losing it?

I noticed you didn't grind. Do you recommend using unground material? Would it be more effective if you did grind?

Also, I think your claim to the world's smallest vaporizer is on shaky ground. The Ubie, for example, also claims to be the world's smallest, and it looks smaller than yours to me. The MFLB is pretty small too, but harder to compare because of the shape. Best to stay away from such claims in my opinion.

High Pakalolo,
Thanks for the warm welcome, the "ramrod thingie" :lol:, is actually a poker/tamper to help assist when using, although not an essential piece of kit I thought it would be a useful tool to have as in testing, matches, hairpins and the poker from the 'Rokit' came in handy, as for grinding d'erb it does help, the video was knocked up in 5 mins with the demo (except the vapin part) done by my friends daughter a non toker (only cos she had nice looking hands unlike my rough old mitts) but even if you just use the bud after a couple of vapes it is good practice to empty the bowl into your hand , give it a crumble and re load, this can be repeated until it is completely spent, being Yorkshire lads, many of the guys who tested alongside me were saving the remaining erb for the nighttime spliff with it having plenty CBD/CBN's knocking them out for the night.
As for my claim as 'the worlds smallest...' it was done tongue in cheek, but it is pretty dam small and will last a lifetime unlike many others, I guarantee it.
Irie!

EYE1DER,

EYE1DER

justin@red-eye.co.uk
Dudeson 1882 said:
Rather than use a lighter can you use beeline or a candle?

Is it possible to add a hole somewhere on the Alivi8 so it can be hung around your neck as the number of Amazed pipes I lost was unreal. Lost 3 in 1 day at Glastonbury once. Could you add that the Amazed as well?

High,
use whatever you want fella, just be safe.
I initially intended to only produce the vape end to be used with the A'maze'd but with the first testings I realized the original maze path was far too long losing all the flavour, it did not require the 320mm path with all the corners as it didnt need to clean as well as cool unlike what is preferential when combusting.
I also thought of putting a thong hole in for wearing around the neck as you can with the A'maze'd, but for the weight 120g and the alignment of the etching I couldnt be certain of continuity for perfection which i strive for in all my product range, and as for losing 3 at Glasto all I can say to you is dont be so greedy you are there for a week!:lol:
Irie!

EYE1DER,

EYE1DER

justin@red-eye.co.uk
guardian said:
edit: looks awsome thanks for answers :) any tests done with torch lighter? thanks

High Guardian,
Yes we tried it, and yes it worked fine you just need to be aware that some of them badboys can kick out 1500c so if you do keep it well away and bring it in slowly until you know the score!
Irie!

EYE1DER,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
EYE1DER said:
High Pakalolo,
Thanks for the warm welcome, the "ramrod thingie" :lol:, is actually a poker/tamper to help assist when using, although not an essential piece of kit I thought it would be a useful tool to have as in testing, matches, hairpins and the poker from the 'Rokit' came in handy, as for grinding d'erb it does help, the video was knocked up in 5 mins with the demo (except the vapin part) done by my friends daughter a non toker (only cos she had nice looking hands unlike my rough old mitts) but even if you just use the bud after a couple of vapes it is good practice to empty the bowl into your hand , give it a crumble and re load, this can be repeated until it is completely spent, being Yorkshire lads, many of the guys who tested alongside me were saving the remaining erb for the nighttime spliff with it having plenty CBD/CBN's knocking them out for the night.
As for my claim as 'the worlds smallest...' it was done tongue in cheek, but it is pretty dam small and will last a lifetime unlike many others, I guarantee it.
Irie!

AHA! I thought those hands didn't match the grizzled visage who hit the Alivi8.

Dump-and-crumble is a time-honoured vaporizer technique. Only the Herbalaire (afaik) does full extraction with no grinding. I was curious whether this device could also.

pakalolo,

Samo_T

Hey everyone :) First post here (long time reader/lurker!)

With some friends, we run an informative website on vaporizing.

Justin was kind enough to send us an Alivi8 to review for our website, and I figured it would be useful to put it up here as well.

(Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes, English is not my mother tongue)

Looks

The Alivi8 comes in very elegant packaging and the unit itself just breathes quality. The stainless steel gives this vape a solid and durable feel. Measuring about the height of clipper lighter, it is much smaller than I expected.

At 120g (4oz) it weighs a little less than an average smartphone and can easily be transported in your shirt or pants pocket. All edges, including those of the mouthpiece, are nicely rounded and the unit is quite comfortably in your hand.

It comes with a metal poke tool, which can be inserted into the mouthpiece when the vaporizer is not in use. It must be noted however that it easily falls out, making it prone to loss.

Function

The Alivi8 can be unscrewed at the mouthpiece, revealing the 'maze' and at the bottom, where the inner bowl is located. A rubber ring makes sure the thread at both ends seal well. The very bottom, next to the filter, can also be unscrewed for easy access to the filter for cleaning or replacement.

To use the Alivi8, the bottom piece (which contains the filter) needs to be unscrewed from the body so the bowl can be loaded.

In this test we used a piezoelectric butane lighter, to avoid lighter dust inhalation.

It is worth mentioning that unlike the VaporGenie Classic, which uses a ceramic filter and applies the same 'flame' technique, it is difficult to tell how close you're holding the flame to the filter. The learning curve proved to be somewhat more difficult, something I can see being a problem for first-time users. However, after a few tries, it becomes clear that it works best to simply go by taste. It took us some practice to get the technique right and to figure out the right amount of time needed for heating. While at first there was a slight taste of lighter fluid at times, this pretty much dissappeared after the first few tokes. From our experience with the VaporGenie aluminum bat, this could be due to the filter requiring more heat to function properly.

There was also some soot buildup on the edges near the end of the vape due to it difficult to see where the lighter was pointed. But again, practice makes perfect. Besides, this soot can easily be wiped off.

The taste of the vapor is great, and the maze seems to do its job quite well. Only when the flame is applied too long and too close to the filter the temperature went up fast, at the same time increasing the risk of burning the herb.

One of the only drawbacks is the temperature of the bowl. Of course it is inevitable that this part becomes very hot, but unless you use a handkerchief, it does prevent you from quickly reloading the bowl. This part takes a couple of minutes to cool down to a temperature where it is cool enough to touch. It must be said though that even though the body (where you hold the vaporizer) becomes warm, it does not get so hot that it is a problem.

Overall

All in all, the Alivi8 is a very stylish and compact portable vaporizer 'pipe', that, once you have the technique down, provides excellent hits of vapor. However, priced at $85 (63) I find it a bit on the expensive side, especially when compared some of its handheld rivals.

--

And some images.. (don't mind the ugly watermark, but we want to prevent other websites/shops from copying our content as this happened quite a few times recently)

apimnn.png

2zefrdf.png

b6snlh.png

Samo_T,

darco

EYE1DER said:
High,
first of all let me just clear up your question about A'maze'd v Bulit, for me the A'maze'd wins out n' out for
usability, style and stealth, the Bulit design came after the A'maze'd really to fulfill requests from my customers
comments, the only difference other than appearance is the extra length in smoke path (360mm) and a larger bowl.
Okay onto the Alivi8, in the vape end there are two 7mm filters with a 5mm gap before the stainless steel gauze, this air gap helps greatly in preventing burning, im not saying you cant burn it, but if you keep pulling a flame through once the flavour comes it may happen, from the lengthy period of prototype testing most of the guys only burnt it the once before the technique was learned, its all about the flavour without the heat as the maze path all be it quite short (110mm) in comparison to the A'maze'd (320mm) works a treat due to the added cooing fins ive added around the path.

Irie!

Hey thanks for replying! I like the A'maze'd more than the bul-it too, as I dont really fancy carrying a bullet anyway. Primarily was considering it due to its metal, as some post have scared me from using aluminium smoking tools. I know the anodization cuts the risk but i'd prefer stainless steel. And the only US website selling the amazed is grasscity and they dont have the amazed in SS :( Is the Chrome Amazed also aluminium?

Being easy to clean is my key requirement from my tools as I hate stinky, sticky tools to smoke / vape from. Would you say that the Alivi8 is easy to clean? I guess it must get lest dirty than an amazed pipe due to the fact that there is much less tar in vapor than smoke.

The filters you spoke about, what material are they made of? could we see some pics of the filter? How often does the gauze need cleaning?

The poker in the video seems real cool! I always feel the need for one while smoking / vaping with anything! I think its an awesome add to the product. Wish you could some how thread / snap / magnetically hold it into the vape though. That way it would keep the air path free from pocket lint or dust, and be useful while vaping. If the poker fits loosely, I guess I will land up keeping it in the bag and probably not use it so often.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to answer the barrage of questions, I really appreciate it when product designers interact with their users.

darco,
Top Bottom