Alfa Vaporizer by goboof

merckx

Wow that's awesome. I'll be ordering one right now. How much of a gap is there between the knob and the oven walls? Or is it almost a perfect fit?
It's a pretty good fit. It doesn't touch the walls or the pin but still packs it nice and tight

merckx,

narrowsparrow

OK, guys. I'm thinking this unit might be defective. I already know that I'm defective, but y'all have given me enough things to try that I feel like I should be able to overcome my innate inabilities. No matter what, I am only getting 4 - 6 hits before my herbs get crispy brown. Maybe I should wait longer between draws? Turn it off, let it rest for a few minutes after a couple of hits. Then turn it back on and try a couple more. Does anyone use it that way?

What size corks?

http://www.bangorcork.com/uploads/Stopper-size-chart.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
narrowsparrow,

Deleted Member 1442

No clue
OK, guys. I'm thinking this unit might be defective. I already know that I'm defective, but y'all have given me enough things to try that I feel like I should be able to overcome my innate inabilities. No matter what, I am only getting 4 - 6 hits before my herbs get crispy brown. Maybe I should wait longer between draws? Turn it off, let it rest for a few minutes after a couple of hits. Then turn it back on and try a couple more. Does anyone use it that way?

What size corks?

http://www.bangorcork.com/uploads/Stopper-size-chart.pdf
No clue what sized corks, but are you starting at low temp and working your way up? It very well could be defective, I know older models had malfunctioning heaters that got too hot. Maybe you have an older unit?

Deleted Member 1442,

Deleted Member 1442

Has anyone tried vaping concentrates in their alfa? Or used the vapefiend screen method for concentrates? If you have, could you let me know what the optimal way of doing it is, what to be careful of, and how well it worked out? Thanks!

Deleted Member 1442,

narrowsparrow

No clue

No clue what sized corks, but are you starting at low temp and working your way up? It very well could be defective, I know older models had malfunctioning heaters that got too hot. Maybe you have an older unit?

Hi, vineetvel -- Yes, starting on low with 5-6 second draw. Then moving to medium for maybe three softer pulls, and it's done! Burnt. Last night, I just took two hits, turned it off, and left it there. I'm going to go re-charge it and see if getting a "break" or something will make it work better.

narrowsparrow,

Deleted Member 1442

Hi, vineetvel -- Yes, starting on low with 5-6 second draw. Then moving to medium for maybe three softer pulls, and it's done! Burnt. Last night, I just took two hits, turned it off, and left it there. I'm going to go re-charge it and see if getting a "break" or something will make it work better.
By "burnt" do you mean charred or black? Or do you mean brown like abv? Maybe it's just your bud. If it's turning brown and not burning, that means its vaping properly. Are you packing tightly? Even with bad bud I'd expect more draws though..

narrowsparrow

I would say that I have adequate bud (og sour) that is 5 months old. I think I was sold the back end of stuff I got in March. Original stuff was above average, but second time around is drier. (Sucker punched.) I thought of that problem, too.

But in a glass pipe, you can't tell that much difference between the good stuff in March and the drier stuff in May (was likely not stored properly). Still, I'd prefer to vape. So my experiment involved (1) packing tighter & (2) not taking more than two hits before turning it off for a bit. Gives material time to cool down a little as it might be burning poorly because of it's "adequateness." Having a much better experience. Unfortunately, because of the price I paid, I'm stuck with this herb for a while. Time for a party?

I guess it just takes me a long time to learn a new device. This is way different to me than the MFLB, and I am not the most patient person on the planet. Still learning the idiosyncrasies of the Alfa and then how to compensate for less-than-the-best herb.

To answer your question, before I tried using it more gingerly, the burn was dark brown char. Nasty. I think that fact and the above means we must be on the same page. So packing even more tightly was great advice. Add the "recess period," & I think I'll be able to get more draws. It just went brown on me about 1/2 an hour ago, and in total between last night and tonight, I got probably nine nice draws. That's progress, still not what I read about here, though.

Finding a new person! :cuss:

narrowsparrow,

Deleted Member 1442

I would say that I have adequate bud (og sour) that is 5 months old. I think I was sold the back end of stuff I got in March. Original stuff was above average, but second time around is drier. (Sucker punched.) I thought of that problem, too.

But in a glass pipe, you can't tell that much difference between the good stuff in March and the drier stuff in May (was likely not stored properly). Still, I'd prefer to vape. So my experiment involved (1) packing tighter & (2) not taking more than two hits before turning it off for a bit. Gives material time to cool down a little as it might be burning poorly because of it's "adequateness." Having a much better experience. Unfortunately, because of the price I paid, I'm stuck with this herb for a while. Time for a party?

I guess it just takes me a long time to learn a new device. This is way different to me than the MFLB, and I am not the most patient person on the planet. Still learning the idiosyncrasies of the Alfa and then how to compensate for less-than-the-best herb.

To answer your question, before I tried using it more gingerly, the burn was dark brown char. Nasty. I think that fact and the above means we must be on the same page. So packing even more tightly was great advice. Add the "recess period," & I think I'll be able to get more draws. It just went brown on me about 1/2 an hour ago, and in total between last night and tonight, I got probably nine nice draws. That's progress, still not what I read about here, though.

Finding a new person! :cuss:
I actually never turn off the vape, I usually have an entire 20 minute bowl with the vape on the entire time. And my herb ends up a medium/dark brown. It may be the herb, but I'm not sure the herb should be turning dark brown that quickly. How finely did you grind it? Also are you drawing as slow as possible (think sipping a thick milkshake). Could you do this, vape the entire bowl at once on medium until no more vapor is produced, and then take a picture of the abv and post it here. That would help a lot.

Deleted Member 1442,

narrowsparrow

I actually never turn off the vape, I usually have an entire 20 minute bowl with the vape on the entire time. And my herb ends up a medium/dark brown. It may be the herb, but I'm not sure the herb should be turning dark brown that quickly. How finely did you grind it? Also are you drawing as slow as possible (think sipping a thick milkshake). Could you do this, vape the entire bowl at once on medium until no more vapor is produced, and then take a picture of the abv and post it here. That would help a lot.

Hello again, vineetvel -- I ground the herb with a Space Case & then with the MFLB grinder. I'm doing slow draws, like MFLB, only shorter. Last night I just used the low setting, and the unit became hot in my hand after three hits. And after four hits, the 1/2-bowl was burnt. I'll vape another 1/2 bowl tonight & then take a photo of the remains for you. I sure appreciate your sticking with me on this. I hate having spent that much money and then not being able to enjoy my purchase!

narrowsparrow,

Deleted Member 1442

Just ordered an Alfa. I'm late to this party.

What are some great or must have accessories for this thing? Any tips for improvement?

Thanks!
You definitely want to have a stir/packing tool, vapeworld carries some, but if you scroll through this thread a while back, someone has a mini tutorial on how to make a perfect packing tool for the alfa. Another good accessory is to get the mflb water pipe whip, so that you can hook the alfa up to a bong/water pipe. If you like to take your alfa to places, get a case. I recommend the vatra dragon (the alfa is a perfect fit), along with these test tubes which fit perfectly in the case and are the same height as the alfa (hold 2g of finely ground herb). I also bought some pipe cleaners and 99% iso from amazon for cleaning, along with a good grinder (i have a 2 piece space case). If you decide to get the mflb water whip, email puffitup to see if they can offer it for cheaper, they will likely give you a discount on it. Also, the stir tools I linked are pretty crap, but they are only a dollar and they work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RKMWVD0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vatra-Drago...s-420-Cosmetics-Electronics-NWT-/271915603153

http://www.puffitup.com/Magic-Flight-Launch-Box-Water-Whip-p/magicflightwpw.htm

http://www.vapeworld.com/pearlized-stir-tools-12-pack

Hello again, vineetvel -- I ground the herb with a Space Case & then with the MFLB grinder. I'm doing slow draws, like MFLB, only shorter. Last night I just used the low setting, and the unit became hot in my hand after three hits. And after four hits, the 1/2-bowl was burnt. I'll vape another 1/2 bowl tonight & then take a photo of the remains for you. I sure appreciate your sticking with me on this. I hate having spent that much money and then not being able to enjoy my purchase!

Four hits on low setting should definitely not cook the herb at all. This sounds a lot like issues with the old version of the goboof alfa, where the chamber got too hot and burnt everyones weed. Maybe send it in for warranty? Four hits on low in my alfa with a half pack, and the weed is still the same green color as it started. Yeah I totally feel you, it sucks to spend time and money and not have it work like it should. Yeah keep track of what temp you vaped at and for how long, and if possible, send me a before and after pic of the weed on a white sheet of paper. That way I can try my best to see whats happening.

You need the mflb whip if you want to attach it to the alfa. The dhgate pinnacle pro hydrotubes are not always perfectly sized, and the one I got doesn't fit snugly into the alfa. Thats why the mflb whip works well with it. I would recommend getting a larger bubbler though. http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/pinnacle-pro-glass-smoking-water-pipe-vaporblunt/184494946.html

I'm buying this now, then buying the alfa!
Can someone remind me what these glass pipes do as i've heard various things- gives bigger clouds, cools vapour, makes it less dry etc. These sound like they'll do the job for my throat.

How are they different to the D020 percolators aside from looks? Is it more of the same just stronger effect?

Also someone said to ask them to throw in a free 14mm adaptor?

I'm buying from vapefiend.co.uk this seems to be the most well regarded store in the UK?

Everything will be paid for and on its way within 2 days, so excited. Then i'll decide if i'm buying a second one for myself too. Awesome.

Oh also is this grinder value for money and will get the job done?
http://www.vapefiend.co.uk/grinder.html

They're only a pound on Amazon though.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Her...e=UTF8&qid=1438054169&sr=1-1&keywords=grinder

Cheers.

Last edited:
eskimo_rising,

Deleted Member 1442

I'm buying this now, then buying the alfa!
Can someone remind me what these glass pipes do as i've heard various things- gives bigger clouds, cools vapour, makes it less dry etc. These sound like they'll do the job for my throat.

How are they different to the D020 percolators aside from looks? Is it more of the same just stronger effect?

Also someone said to ask them to throw in a free 14mm adaptor?

I'm buying from vapefiend.co.uk this seems to be the most well regarded store in the UK?

Everything will be paid for and on its way within 2 days, so excited. Then i'll decide if i'm buying a second one for myself too. Awesome.

Oh also is this grinder value for money and will get the job done?
http://www.vapefiend.co.uk/grinder.html

They're only a pound on Amazon though.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Her...e=UTF8&qid=1438054169&sr=1-1&keywords=grinder

Cheers.

That glass pipe I linked is just a mini bubbler, which runs the vapor through a small amount of water. It cools the vapor and hydrates the hit so its a little easier on your throat. I would recommend getting the d020-d if you have the money, it hydrates/cools much better than the hydrotube. If you get the hydrotube you don't need an adapter, if you get the d020-d ask for a 14mm to 18mm adapter. And yes that grinder will work well, just grind for longer since its plastic.

If you get the d020-d or another bubbler with a 18mm connection. Here's a link to the adapter you need. If you get the hydrotube you don't need this. Also don't forget the mflb water pipe whip.
http://m.dhgate.com/product/male-18-8mm-female-14-5mm-glass-adapter/190729208.html#pd-019

Deleted Member 1442,

narrowsparrow

You definitely want to have a stir/packing tool, vapeworld carries some, but if you scroll through this thread a while back, someone has a mini tutorial on how to make a perfect packing tool for the alfa. Another good accessory is to get the mflb water pipe whip, so that you can hook the alfa up to a bong/water pipe. If you like to take your alfa to places, get a case. I recommend the vatra dragon (the alfa is a perfect fit), along with these test tubes which fit perfectly in the case and are the same height as the alfa (hold 2g of finely ground herb). I also bought some pipe cleaners and 99% iso from amazon for cleaning, along with a good grinder (i have a 2 piece space case). If you decide to get the mflb water whip, email puffitup to see if they can offer it for cheaper, they will likely give you a discount on it. Also, the stir tools I linked are pretty crap, but they are only a dollar and they work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RKMWVD0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vatra-Drago...s-420-Cosmetics-Electronics-NWT-/271915603153

http://www.puffitup.com/Magic-Flight-Launch-Box-Water-Whip-p/magicflightwpw.htm

http://www.vapeworld.com/pearlized-stir-tools-12-pack

Four hits on low setting should definitely not cook the herb at all. This sounds a lot like issues with the old version of the goboof alfa, where the chamber got too hot and burnt everyones weed. Maybe send it in for warranty? Four hits on low in my alfa with a half pack, and the weed is still the same green color as it started. Yeah I totally feel you, it sucks to spend time and money and not have it work like it should. Yeah keep track of what temp you vaped at and for how long, and if possible, send me a before and after pic of the weed on a white sheet of paper. That way I can try my best to see whats happening.

OK, I have three photos for you guys, but the "images" icon tells me I need a URL? I'm from last century. I have a PC running Windows 7. So the pictures are in limbo till I learn how to apply an external URL to an internal photo.

Apologies for the "technical difficulties."

Last edited by a moderator:

narrowsparrow

OK, I saved the photos to my Imgur account, but cannot get them from there to here. I clicked on the message board option, which indicated that the photos were copied. But where?

narrowsparrow,

Deleted Member 1442

Deleted Member 1442,

narrowsparrow

This was vaped on medium, one 6-second soft draw followed by two four-second softer draws. Three draws in six minutes, and then the burn.

narrowsparrow,

Deleted Member 1442

This was vaped on medium, one 6-second soft draw followed by two four-second softer draws. Three draws in six minutes, and then the burn.
Huh, try grinding coarser, no powder. If that doesn't work, honestly there might be a problem with your alfa. It shouldn't be turning that dark that quickly. In 15 minutes on medium, my herb is a lighter color than yours, and that's with ~30 draws. Your info kinda sounds like the problems the old alfa had. What website did you order it from? Unfortunately, they may not have had the newest model.

narrowsparrow

Unfortunately, I got this on eBay, meaning I'll probably have to eat the $175 I paid for it. Should have paid full price from Goboof or Vapeworld. No warranty, and since I don't have the original packaging, no refund from eBay.

narrowsparrow,

Deleted Member 1442

Unfortunately, I got this on eBay, meaning I'll probably have to eat the $175 I paid for it. Should have paid full price from Goboof or Vapeworld. No warranty, and since I don't have the original packaging, no refund from eBay.

Oh shoot, how long ago did you buy it? If you bought it from eBay it's probably the old model with the heater problems. That would explain it. Honestly, I don't know if you need original packaging to get warranty. Try emailing goboof. See what they say.

Deleted Member 1442,

Justpassedu

I hate to say it but from what you are describing it does sound like you are not in error but your Alfa is. I can grind any which way id like and pack it ( packing tight is key with this vape imo ) and get nice clouds , about 10-25 depending on my material i am using and i usually start at medium for a stronger effect but low works as well. Email goboof direct , give them your serial # , im sure they will take care of you if you'd be willing to ship it out to them in ireland , may cost a few but its not a total loss.

Justpassedu,

Deleted Member 1442

I hate to say it but from what you are describing it does sound like you are not in error but your Alfa is. I can grind any which way id like and pack it ( packing tight is key with this vape imo ) and get nice clouds , about 10-25 depending on my material i am using and i usually start at medium for a stronger effect but low works as well.
I agree. I think his alfa is the old model with the heater problems. Know if goboof will still give him warranty?

Top Bottom