Alfa Vaporizer by goboof

thotfukr

I use to do it, but I started getting inconsistent temps so I stopped, and that cleared up the problem.

thotfukr,
Reactions: BRAND1SH

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Loving the Alfa even more after a few days with it!

First of all, the oven lid should have "0.15g" stamped on it because this exact amount in the Alfas oven is amazing. Too little or too much and the results are no where near as pleasing.
If I have time to medicate I like the AT setting a lot ! I'm usually done with the bowl before it reaches really high temp, which I try to avoid as it gives off a near combustion smell (I believe this setting is for very sticky moist medicine), and it can stain the inside of your oven, but it does seem to extend your session.
If I really want to get "there" asap I'll go straight to medium and the density of the vapor here is crazy! I'm tempted to try straight to high one of these days just to see what that's like lol.
I've been putting avb from my firefly in here and getting another 4-5 hits out of it so that's a testament to how even and thoroughly this thing heats ur medicine.

Small plastic decoration that fell off of my faucet makes a great cap for saving vapor/keeping smells in.
14222820051451656037117_zpsca2g0gnq-1.jpg

Now this.... This little ceramic filter... Amazing how much this little thing added to the Alfa! I guess it's the slight added resistance but now I can take inhale as hard or soft as I want, long or short draws and it just delivers. I immediately noticed a difference when I put this in. Nice thick vapor and I got more hits then I was getting without it, I'm assuming because I'm drawing in less air due to the extra filter. I also have the same sized filter in glass but went with the ceramic initially. If anyone has one of these laying around please try it and let us know what you think.
This also keeps the mouthpiece in place very nice and firmly.
14222823642731825313704_zpsz5oiupd5-1.jpg

1422282170110-2078526316_zpsk7bskncd-1.jpg

Last edited:

Justpassedu

First of all, the oven lid should have "0.15g" stamped on it because this exact amount in the Alfas oven is amazing. Too little or too much and the results are no where near as pleasing.
If I have time to medicate I like the AT setting a lot ! I'm usually done with the bowl before it reaches really high temp, which I try to avoid as it gives off a near combustion smell (I believe this setting is for very sticky moist medicine), and it can stain the inside of your oven, but it does seem to extend your session.
If I really want to get "there" asap I'll go straight to medium and the density of the vapor here is crazy! I'm tempted to try straight to high one of these days just to see what that's like lol.
I've been putting avb from my firefly in here and getting another 4-5 hits out of it so that's a testament to how even and thoroughly this thing heats ur medicine.

Small plastic decoration that fell off of my faucet makes a great cap for saving vapor/keeping smells in.

Now this.... This little ceramic filter... Amazing how much this little thing added to the Alfa! I guess it's the slight added resistance but now I can take inhale as hard or soft as I want, long or short draws and it just delivers. I immediately noticed a difference when I put this in. Nice thick vapor and I got more hits then I was getting without it, I'm assuming because I'm drawing in less air due to the extra filter. I also have the same sized filter in glass but went with the ceramic initially. If anyone has one of these laying around please try it and let us know what you think.

Can you by any chance post a pic of your packing method and grind ? I am supposed to get mine back from repair this week and i'd like to follow your steps since you seem to be having great results. This will help me determine if mine is still defective.

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
Can you by any chance post a pic of your packing method and grind ? I am supposed to get mine back from repair this week and i'd like to follow your steps since you seem to be having great results. This will help me determine if mine is still defective.

we have both been through the ringer with this vape. I hope when yours arrives that it works flawlessly my friend.

Slow Draw McGraw,
Reactions: Justpassedu

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Shredded or finely ground (the drier the flower the less you need to grind it). Personally I like to grind it until its all even but not almost powder. Im using an illadelph space case but my 4 piece piranha grinder (similar to santa cruz shredder) works just as good upside down.

As far as packing, make sure u have 0.15 grams, if your scale doesn't have the extra decimal just weigh out 0.3 and divide that in half. I toss the medicine in without packing until the oven is full, then LIGHTLY tamp it down to half or two thirds, then repeat this again to fill the oven. I found 0.15 packed until it's even with the center pin is pretty perfect, although packing a tiny bit past the center pin won't hurt either, but you will be digging your avb out as opposed to it falling out. If you think you packed to tight simply swirl a toothpick around the bowl once to loosen the medicine then repack to your liking.

NOTE: The type of flower really is the only variable here. Some herb might do better with a shredded grind and remember: some medicine just vapes better then others !

That little button shaped ceramic filter is pretty key as well. Better draws and it keeps ur vapor from escaping between hits ! Seriously Goboof should ship the Alfa with these !:cool:

Last edited:

Justpassedu

we have both been through the ringer with this vape. I hope when yours arrives that it works flawlessly my friend.
Thanks Slow Draw i really hope so also.
Shredded or finely ground (the drier the flower the less you need to grind it). Personally I like to grind it until its all even but not almost powder. Im using an illadelph space case but my 4 piece piranha grinder (similar to santa cruz shredder) works just as good upside down.

As far as packing, make sure u have 0.15 grams, if your scale doesn't have the extra decimal just weigh out 0.3 and divide that in half. I toss the medicine in without packing until the oven is full, then LIGHTLY tamp it down to half or two thirds, then repeat this again to fill the oven. I found 0.15 packed until it's even with the center pin is pretty perfect, although packing a tiny bit past the center pin won't hurt either, but you will be digging your avb out as opposed to it falling out. If you think you packed to tight simply swirl a toothpick around the bowl once to loosen the medicine then repack to your liking.

NOTE: The type of flower really is the only variable here. Some herb might do better with a shredded grind and remember: some medicine just vapes better then others !

That little button shaped ceramic filter is pretty key as well. Better draws and it keeps ur vapor from escaping between hits ! Seriously Goboof should ship the Alfa with these !:cool:
Appreciate it , post some pic's if you can. I'll give it a try. I do have a scale but i am not going to break it out and weigh out my herb every time i want to pack it. That kinda half defeats the purpose of owning a portable vape.

Justpassedu,

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Thanks Slow Draw i really hope so also.

Appreciate it , post some pic's if you can. I'll give it a try. I do have a scale but i am not going to break it out and weigh out my herb every time i want to pack it. That kinda half defeats the purpose of owning a portable vape.
once you get used to how much you need to put in there and how to pack it you'll just be able to eyeball it with no scale needed because if you pack it correctly the weight should be right on

BRAND1SH,

Justpassedu

once you get used to how much you need to put in there and how to pack it you'll just be able to eyeball it with no scale needed because if you pack it correctly the weight should be right on
Are you pushing/packing your material down tight ? or just kinda placing it in and slightly tamping down ?

Justpassedu,

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Are you pushing/packing your material down tight ? or just kinda placing it in and slightly tamping down ?
Lightly tamping down. If you pack it tight the oven won't be full if you're using 0.15 g. Once you've measured out and packed this amount a few times you'll see how much packing is needed, then the amount won't matter because you'll know how tight is just right.
If you don't have a scale, 0.15 g, laid flat in a circle, is about the same size as a quarter.

Side note: my favorite way to go through a sesh is; first hit on medium for maximum flavor and effect, then drop down to low for a few hits to extend your medicine. Then finish it off on medium. Hi is just ridiculous. Way to hot, I wish Goboof had went with 385°, 400° and 420° for the 3 preset temperatures.

Edit: Just found a purpose for the high temp setting: cleaning the Alfa ! I took the mp out, set it on high and stood it upside down with the oven door open. All the oily residue on the filter, chamber and pin just started baking off and producing a pretty steady plume for a few minutes ( next time I will heat it up sealed with the mp on to see if I can actually get a decent hit if I let the residue vapor build up a bit). Blowing through the top even produces little mini clouds of vapor (or is it just actual residual burn off?). When I turned it off the oven was noticeably cleaner looking, as was the filter. Also, the yummy danky smell some of us try to hide is hardly noticeable anymore.

Alfa self cleaning oven by Goboof !!

Last edited:

mitto

Hello everyone,
I'm new here but my alpha will arrive this week from vapefiend.co.uk.

Hi, i have a question , where did you get that ceramic filter? It's an interesting idea .

Thanks,
mitto
(Sorry for the bad grammar )

mitto,

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Hello everyone,
I'm new here but my alpha will arrive this week from vapefiend.co.uk.

Hi, i have a question , where did you get that ceramic filter? It's an interesting idea .

Thanks,
mitto
(Sorry for the bad grammar )
Any smoke shop that sells quality glass pieces should carry these button screens. They come in ceramic and glass. They're typically $5 a piece so I'd recommend the ceramic as I have snapped a few glass ones in the past while cleaning them.

BRAND1SH,

mitto

Any smoke shop that sells quality glass pieces should carry these button screens. They come in ceramic and glass. They're typically $5 a piece so I'd recommend the ceramic as I have snapped a few glass ones in the past while cleaning them.

Thanks,
mitto

mitto,

BRAND1SH

I save trees
OK so this is what you should do to enjoy the Alfa:

As someone mentioned nobody wants to carry a scale around with them, for several reasons. No scale needed.

1.) Grind your medicine up to a heavy shredded/even consistency, not nuggy and not powder.

2.)Fill the oven to the top by dropping your grinded medicine in until it's slightly overflowing (center pin barely visible). Now, LIGHTLY tamp your medicine down until your about ⅔'s full ( it doesn't take much pressure, don't pack it too tight). Next, drop in more grinded medicine until its slightly over flowing again. Tamp lightly again until the tip of the center pin is showing (flush or just below). Shut the oven the grinding and packing part is done. Easy !

3.) I've tried everything and this gives the best resultas as far as which setting/temp to use: Go straight to medium first ( if possible plug or cover the mouthpiece to keep all the goodness in while heating up), this will give you a great tasting, huge hit that will get you there, trust me! Next immediately drop down to AP (auto puff), this setting is magic. The next 4-5 hits will be delicious as each puff raises the temperature slightly, releasing flavor and vapor as you go. Once you notice the flavor is beginning to go away turn off the Alfa and empty the oven out, in a line if possible, light to dark is what you should see. Now dump the medicine back in beginning with the side of the pile that was at the top of your oven, so your lighter colored avb is now on at the bottom of the oven, on the screen. Again, go straight to medium for the initial hit then drop down to AP and finish enjoying.

Doing it this way simply leads to more hits from a pack and I never notice any unpleasant flavor and maybe only the slightest popcorn taste at the very end of the pack. Since you're starting the auto puff over again you'll never run the risk of getting up to High, aka "self cleaning" temperature as you would if you stayed on AP the entire time.

DONT overpack
DONT underpack
DONT use high temp setting
DO dump the oven halfway thru and repack with lighter medicine on the screen.
DO use auto puff, but restart it when you dump/repack.

This is what I've found works the best, for me. I tried other combos of settings, going through all of them, etc and the above way just gave me more hits with little to no unpleasant flavor.

Please try it out and let me know what you think.

If anyone finds another method that works better for them please share!

thotfukr

My grind (sour d) and the way I'm packing this particular strain. I pack tight enough that it restricts the draw a bit, then I cap it with a screen just to make sure it stays in place. My abv has never fallen out, I always have to dig it out
WCePdZi.jpg
26evf1B.jpg

Dbong1

My grind (sour d) and the way I'm packing this particular strain. I pack tight enough that it restricts the draw a bit, then I cap it with a screen just to make sure it stays in place. My abv has never fallen out, I always have to dig it out
WCePdZi.jpg
26evf1B.jpg
Is that a pack of Marlboros in the background?

Dbong1,
Reactions: mixchu69

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Thotfukr,
Have u tried straight to medium for the first hit then dialing down to AP ? Worked great with the sour deez I just finished.
Also I tried a second screen on top but I noticed it cooks the medicine faster on both ends this way. I like dumping it out and putting it back in in reverse, starting with the still green medicine that sticks to the lid, so I get another round of great flavor.
Most importantly, and I can't stress this enough...get one of those ceramic filters (previous page) for your mouthpiece, it adds the perfect amount of resistance:tup:

BRAND1SH,

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
Thotfukr,
Have u tried straight to medium for the first hit then dialing down to AP ? Worked great with the sour deez I just finished.
Also I tried a second screen on top but I noticed it cooks the medicine faster on both ends this way. I like dumping it out and putting it back in in reverse, starting with the still green medicine that sticks to the lid, so I get another round of great flavor.
Most importantly, and I can't stress this enough...get one of those ceramic filters (previous page) for your mouthpiece, it adds the perfect amount of resistance:tup:

Out of curiosity, what other vapes do you own?

Slow Draw McGraw,

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Out of curiosity, what other vapes do you own?
I own the Alfa, a Firefly and a piece of crap Gpen pro ( which I'm actually grateful for because it taught me to only buy quality vaporizers AND the ceramic filter I bought for it does wonders for the Alfa), ive tried the Pax, volcano, vapor genie, solo and the mflb.
I'm pretty much a noob lol, I used YouTube and FC to narrow it down to the Alfa and Firefly and I'm 100% happy with both.

BRAND1SH,

Wzfbaby7

I own the Alfa, a Firefly and a piece of crap Gpen pro ( which I'm actually grateful for because it taught me to only buy quality vaporizers AND the ceramic filter I bought for it does wonders for the Alfa), ive tried the Pax, volcano, vapor genie, solo and the mflb.
I'm pretty much a noob lol, I used YouTube and FC to narrow it down to the Alfa and Firefly and I'm 100% happy with both.

I would love to see a in depth review of the updated Alfa you have now. How many hits do you get out of it? Is there alot of vapor production on each of the settings? I know you don't have the Flowermate but how do you think they compare? How baked does it one .15 bowl get you? Thank you in advance man! No one has new Youtube videos of for the updated version so I still know so little about it.

Wzfbaby7,

Justpassedu

I'm pretty bumbed out , I just got my Alfa back from gotvape after they said they were repairing it only to get it back not working properly again. It had a note stating they raised the temps by 45 def each setting. It will heat up and than stop heating randomly during a session. Than I turn it off and on again and it works. Very random. Hoping I can get a refund from them Bc I never got a working unti to begin with.

Justpassedu,

thotfukr

I'm pretty bumbed out , I just got my Alfa back from gotvape after they said they were repairing it only to get it back not working properly again. It had a note stating they raised the temps by 45 def each setting. It will heat up and than stop heating randomly during a session. Than I turn it off and on again and it works. Very random. Hoping I can get a refund from them Bc I never got a working unti to begin with.
Have you tried dealing with goboof directly?

thotfukr,

splitz

I wonder if Goboof will make it through the year?​

I didn't receive a response from them until I threatened opening a dispute with paypal/credit card company. Long story short; they have no repair facility in Canada and require you to send a stinky, burnt, gummed up mess of an electronic device through INTERNATIONAL mail...no thanks.

Goboof was nice enough to send me a replacement unit which I am awaiting arrival.

I think the main issue is a design flaw that cannot be addressed with "software updates". Specifically, the use of an axial lead GLASS thermistor cemented to the bottom of the oven to monitor temps. Constant heat/cool cycles blew my thyristor open (runaway heat senerio), however, I've also seen the thyristor failing in a short (no heat senerio)... a gradual fault that presents itself over time...

I have since rediscovered the beast known as PAX... imho the Alfa is just too flakey for reliable longterm Use.

Last edited:

Justpassedu

I wonder if Goboof will make it through the year?​

I didn't receive a response from them until I threatened opening a dispute with paypal/credit card company. Long story short; they have no repair facility in Canada and require you to send a stinky, burnt, gummed up mess of an electronic device through INTERNATIONAL mail...no thanks.

Goboof was nice enough to send me a replacement unit which I am awaiting arrival.

I think the main issue is a design flaw that cannot be addressed with "software updates". Specifically, the use of an axial lead GLASS thermistor cemented to the bottom of the oven to monitor temps. Constant heat/cool cycles blew my thyristor open (runaway heat senerio), however, I've also seen the thyristor failing in a short (no heat senerio)... a gradual fault that presents itself over time...

I have since rediscovered the beast known as PAX... imho the Alfa is just too flakey for reliable longterm Use.
Did they send you a return label to get the original one back to Ireland ?

Justpassedu,
Top Bottom