Album Covers Of Some of Your Favorite "Get High" Albums

lwien

I'll just post up "some" of the album covers of my all time "get high" favorites. There are soooo many more.

I wonder how many of you can recognize these.

Keep 'em small guys so this thread doesn't take up toooo much bandwidth. No names. Just pics.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
10yrsAfter.jpg
Tommy.jpg
BuffaloSpringfield.jpg
Vince_and_Bola_.jpg
TakeFive_.jpg
FilmoreEast_.jpg

Damn, that's hard to do stoned.

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
Ooh this is fun... I recognize six of your lwien, nice call on Quicksilver Messenger Service!!

My absolute favourite albums to listen to when I'm having a real good body high have to be:

I'm sure many of you will recognize the majority of those albums.

mattybass,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
Hmm... now why wouldn't these be displaying?? I'm using the BBcode generated from Imageshack and copy+pasting it!! :uhoh:

mattybass,

lwien

Keep 'em small, Jimbo cause this thread could get outta hand.

lwien,

lwien

mattybass said:
Hmm... now why wouldn't these be displaying?? I'm using the BBcode generated from Imageshack and copy+pasting it!! :uhoh:
Use the forum code from imageshack

lwien,

lwien

Matty, "Marvin Gaye" What's Goin' On, brings back such great memories of this girl, Kyrstin.......Swedish, blonde hair, super blue eyes, ahhhh, but I digress. Here's another album by him that's one of my favs. Lots of great nights with this one:

lwien,

the ob

all good in the hood.
simon and garfunkle (anything) but the concert in central park is a classic. they thank all the people selling loose joints.
aqualung
who
dark side of the moon
marvin gaye
beatles
GnR
clapton

sorry I keep editing as I see more things I like.....

the ob,

lwien

the ob said:
matty,
and aqualung. good call on that one.
Yeah. Saw Tull on the Aqualung tour, here at the Forum. Had 3rd row center. One of the best concerts I ever saw. Anderson was in top form. Fucking LOUD, but not as loud as The Who. I think Townsend wanted to make everyone as deaf as he was. I think Live at Leeds captured more of who The Who was (lol) than any other album they did, although the band said they thought it was one of their worst performances.

lwien,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

the ob

all good in the hood.
lwien, saw that concert as well. great show. I saw a who concert in washington where townshend put the wammy bar through his hand and had to stop playing. was bummed at first then excited because I thought it might be the last show ever....saw the first show days after entwistle died.

I agree about live at leeds. it was widely considered by critics to be one of the best live albums of all time.... the who were always being contrary to whatever was being said about them. I think they just liked being dicks (at least townshend) speaking of live, frampton comes alive is another.

the ob,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
Best concert I ever saw was when Roger Waters toured through with his Dark Side of the Moon tour... conveniently, the second time I smoked pot and the first time I enjoyed it! I remember walking up at the first intermission to get a hot dog, ordered it, and suddenly the paranoia set in as I didn't want the hot dog. I felt ashamed spending $5 on something I didn't want.

I ended up walking what felt like two miles (in reality 15 ft.) to the condiments stand, threw some mustard on, went back to my seat and gave it to the stoner who was passing my friend and I joints. He on the other hand was thrilled by it. :lol:

Now if you had to guess my age based on my catalogue of faves, what might you guess?

mattybass,

lwien

the ob said:
lwien, saw that concert as well. great show. I saw a who concert in washington where townsend put the wammy bar through his hand and had to stop playing. was bummed at first then excited because I thought it might be the last show ever....saw the first show days after entwistle died.

I agree about live at leeds. it was widely considered by critics to be one of the best live albums of all time.... speaking of live, frampton comes alive is another.
ob, I used to go to soooo many concerts. Every fucking weekend. Tried to time the acid drops so that we wouldn't start peaking on the freeway traveling to the venue :uhoh: . But I gotta say, out of all them, the one that sticks in my mind the most was Hendrix when he was with the Band of Gypsies. It was his last performance here before he died. One of our friends sitting next to me said that he came in his pants while Hendrix was playing Machine Gun. :lol:

Such good times.

lwien,

lwien

mattybass said:
Best concert I ever saw was when Roger Waters toured through with his Dark Side of the Moon tour... conveniently, the second time I smoked pot and the first time I enjoyed it! I remember walking up at the first intermission to get a hot dog, ordered it, and suddenly the paranoia set in as I didn't want the hot dog. I felt ashamed spending $5 on something I didn't want.

I ended up walking what felt like two miles (in reality 15 ft.) to the condiments stand, threw some mustard on, went back to my seat and gave it to the stoner who was passing my friend and I joints. He on the other hand was thrilled by it. :lol:

Now if you had to guess my age based on my catalogue of faves, what might you guess?
Yeah. I remember going into the Forum high as hell, and coming out after the concert and having to wait in the parking lot till everyone left 'cause we couldn't remember where the fuck we parked. :ninja:

lwien,

the ob

all good in the hood.
lwien,
I agree. I am not your age (I am 40) but I have seen some legendary performances in my day. I never got to see hendrix and curse the gods of music (hendrix maybe?) that I did not get to see him. His music still resonates today. We need a thread about best concerts ever seen. or best times at shows. I once was invited into ziggy marleys trailer after a show and hung out for a while. that was a good time. I was also once so wasted I could not use my backstage pass to dave Matthew's because I could not find my way backstage. :p

the ob,

lwien

the ob said:
........ speaking of live, frampton comes alive is another.
Yeah, that was a pretty popular album. I liked him when he was with Humble Pie, but he got a bit too middle-of-the-road for me when he went solo.

lwien,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

lwien

mattybass said:
Matty, I have no idea. But if I had to guess, I'd say somewhere in your mid 20's being that I know that there are a lot of younger people that are still into the music when music was breaking such new ground at every turn.

I like your Joni Mitchell pick. Back in the early 70's, I lived in a place called Topanga Canyon. At that time, there were a lot of musicians living there. Anyway, the city was thinking about making Topanga Canyon Blvd a 4 lane street going thru the canyon, so some of the artists that lived in Topanga at the time decided to throw a benifit concert together in order to keep it a two lane street, just for those who lived in Topanga, so they took over this small club in the Canyon called the Topanga Corral. It was a really small club. Could hold about 80 to 100 people max. I was really fortunate to get in. Who played? Neil Young, Joni Michell and The Eagles. Solo sets as well as playing all together. Mostly all acoustic.

Also saw The Zeppelin and The Doors in a small club in Hollywood called the Whiskey along with Elton Johns first concert here at the Troubadour. The Byrds at the Pandora's Box. Small club venues like this are a real treat.

Just really fortunate to be living in LA while all this was going on. Great memories..........:)

lwien,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
lwien said:
mattybass said:
Matty, I have no idea. But if I had to guess, I'd say somewhere in your mid 20's being that I know that there are a lot of younger people that are still into the music when music was breaking such new ground at every turn.

I like your Joni Mitchell pick. Back in the early 70's, I lived in a place called Topanga Canyon. At that time, there were a lot of musicians living there. Anyway, the city was thinking about making Topanga Canyon Blvd a 4 lane street going thru the canyon, so some of the artists that lived in Topanga at the time decided to throw a benifit concert together in order to keep it a two lane street, just for those who lived in Topanga, so they took over this small club in the Canyon called the Topanga Corral. It was a really small club. Could hold about 80 to 100 people max. I was really fortunate to get in. Who played? Neil Young, Joni Michell and The Eagles. Solo sets as well as playing all together. Mostly all acoustic.

Also saw The Zeppelin and The Doors in a small club in Hollywood called the Whiskey along with Elton Johns first concert here at the Troubadour. The Byrds at the Pandora's Box. Small club venues like this are a real treat.

Just really fortunate to be living in LA while all this was going on. Great memories..........:)
Thanks! Joni Mitchell is a product of my province actually! Such a fantastic artist, and she's put out albums in so many genres, it's just a testament of her skill. Folk to jazz to rock... and her jazz stuff in particular is amazing. Blue has always been my favourite of hers though.

I am completely jealous of all the opportunities you've had to see such fine musicians in their prime. Granted, I'm in the second "wave" of 70's artists doing reunion tours and "get-me-some-extra-cash-because-i-spent-all-of-mine" tours. In that regard I've been able to see Pink Floyd, Neil Young (who, for his age, had more energy than some young artists I've seen!), James Taylor and several others. I would give my left nut to see EJ in his heyday though, being a pianist myself. It's bad enough you got to see him back then, let alone in a club setting. :o

And I'm actually 19 hehe... legal in Canada though!

mattybass,

GreenLeaf

I don't feel like looking up images of albums so you can do that yourself.
These bands/musicians/albums are not ranked. I just put them in as I'm thinking of their titles.

Albums I loved high and sober.

Tom Waits-Nighthawks at the diner, Raindogs, Frank's Wild Years, Swordfish Trombones, Real Gone, Mule Variations, Orphans, Blue Valentine, Bone Machine, Alice, and Blood Money.

Captain Beefheart-mostly everything including Trout Mask replica and even the later albums.

Talking Heads-Fear of music and Remain in light.

Brian Eno and David Byrne-My life in the bush of ghosts.

The Velvet Underground-The Velvet Underground and Nico, The Velvet Underground, White Light/White Heat, and Loaded.

Grateful Dead-American Beauty, workingman's dead, live dead, skull and roses, mars hotel, and various live shows I have of them.

Phish-A live one, Junta, Billy Breathes, lawn boy, rift, story of the ghost, and various live shows.

Miles Davis-Bitches Brew and Kind of blue.

Joni Mitchell-Blue, Don Juan's reckless daughter, Court and Spark, the hissing of summer lawns, and Mingus.

Patti Smith-Horses and Easter.

Television-Marquee Moon

Bowie-Low, Ziggy Stardust, Alladin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Heathen, and Hunky Dory.

Radiohead-Kid A, The bends, OK Computer, Hail to the thief, and in rainbows.

Allman Brothers Band-At Fillmore East, eat a peach, brothers and sisters, and various live shows I have of them.

Gov't Mule-Various live shows I have of them including live at roseland and alive with a little help from our friends, and I like the studio albums like Dose and off the deep end vol 1 and 2, and

Depeche Mode-Speak and spell, various albums/compilations.

Neil Young-Harvest Moon, Harvest, Tonight's The Night, After the Goldrush, and other albums.

Bjork-Vespertine, Debut, and Homogenic.

Flaming Lips-The soft bulletin, Yoshimi battles the pink robots, and their early stuff.

Sonic Youth-Washing machine, daydream nation, goo, dirty, evol, and experimental jet set, trash and no star.

The Band-Music from big pink, the band, stage fright, and Northern Lights southern cross.

Dylan-Blood on the tracks, blonde on blonde, and all of his albums as I like all of them even self portrait and the born again Xtian stuff.

Janis Joplin-Janis Live! and a live at Winterland album.

White stripes-white blood cells, icky thump, De Stijl, The white stripes, Elephant, and Get behind me Satan.

Fela Kuti-Zombie

Pink floyd-Animals, meddle, umma gumma, Piper at the gates of dawn, Atom heart mother, DSOTM, and Division Bell.

John Cale-Slow Dazzle, Vintage Violence, HoboSapiens, and the songs for Drella Album he did with Lou Reed.

Nico-Chelsea Girl, Desert Shore, and Marble Index.

The Stooges-Fun house, the stooges, and raw power.

Grace Jones-Nightclubbing, slave to the rhythm, and Warm leatherette.

Stones-Sticky Fingers, Beggar's Banquet, Aftermath, let it bleed, Exile on Main st., Some girls, and this compilation album called hot rocks of theirs I have that I listened to on tape the first time I took LSD.

Beatles-White album/the beatles, abbey road, Sgt. Pepper, and revolver.

Brian Eno-the ambient albums.

Belle and Sebastian-tigermilk, If you're feeling sinister, and the boy with the arab strap.

The cure-kiss me kiss me kiss me, fascination street, wish, staring at the sea a compliation of songs.

Jerry Garcia band-live albums and cats down under the stars.

John Lennon/Yoko Ono-Plastic Ono band, mind games, and imagine.

Pet shop boys-Fundamental and their early music.

Cat power-the greatest, and covers albums.

The smiths-Louder than bombs and Strangeways, here we come again.

I have lots of music in electronic format like early house music and Larry Levan mixes/remixes.

I also forgot to mention Elliot Smith's albums like XO, from a basement on the hill, either/or, Elliott Smith, figure 8, and new moon.

All of you have such great taste in music! If I could muster up the will to take the time to post up a bunch of images, I would, but I just don't feel like it...lol...The new Flying Lotus album "Cosmogramma" has a badass cover, google it. Been listening to this vaked outta my mind almost daily. If you are in to jazz, or experimental music, or electronic beats, check this album out. He is Alice Coltrane's nephew, and his family influence definitely shows.
edited to add- this album is also great in how dense and almost disorienting it was the first couple listens, and now when I listen to it, everything sounds so natural and connected and it flows with a definite logic that you just get caught up in. It goes from sounding complex and alienating to being almost simple and welcoming after repeated listens. This is what makes it such a rewarding listen.

SkeletonLips,
Top Bottom