Alabama Senate Passes Medical Cannabis Bill

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Alabama Senate Approves Bill To Legalize Medical Marijuana

The Alabama Senate approved a bill to legalize medical marijuana on Thursday.

In a 17 to 6 vote, the chamber cleared the legislation, which would allow patients 19 and older with certain conditions to obtain a medical cannabis card that would allow them to use, possess and purchase marijuana from licensed dispensaries.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Gov. Kay Ivey signs Alabama’s medical marijuana bill

Gov. Kay Ivey has signed into law a bill that will allow Alabamians to use medical marijuana products for more than a dozen conditions and symptoms such as chronic pain, depression, seizures, muscle spasticity, and terminal illnesses.

The bill, Senate Bill 46, sets up a system to regulate medical marijuana from the cultivation of the plants, to processing and testing the products, to selling them in dispensaries.

macbill,
  • Love
Reactions: arb

CurryLeafTreehugger

Gov. Kay Ivey signs Alabama’s medical marijuana bill

Gov. Kay Ivey has signed into law a bill that will allow Alabamians to use medical marijuana products for more than a dozen conditions and symptoms such as chronic pain, depression, seizures, muscle spasticity, and terminal illnesses.

The bill, Senate Bill 46, sets up a system to regulate medical marijuana from the cultivation of the plants, to processing and testing the products, to selling them in dispensaries.

Big whoop. It's just another non-legalizing medical marijuana bill that doesn't allow actual marijuana:

"Raw plant material, products that could be smoked or vaped, or food products such as cookies or candies will not be allowed"

CurryLeafTreehugger,

CurryLeafTreehugger

so what is allowed?
tablets, capsules, gel cubes and other forms of medical cannabis products.

In other words, highly processed forms that require expensive equipment to produce and are and are INTENDED to be the sole domain of corporate interests and wholly under the control of the gubmint insofar as it is not already under the control of corporate interests.

I does lurvz me some hyperbole. But unfortunately that is pretty much on the mark.

i haven't seen info on THC content allowed, in many states passing faux-legalization measures only 0% to 10% THC content is allowed. As far as I'm concerned no state that hasn't legalized flower with no cap on THC has an effective medical marijuana law.

More problems with this bill:

Patients could buy up to 60 daily doses at one time and could have up to 70 in their possession.

Daily dosages would be initially capped at 50 milligrams of tetrahydrocannabinol, the mood-changing chemical in marijuana. Doctors could raise that to 75 milligrams for patients after 90 days. Patients with terminal illnesses could receive more than 75 milligrams but would have their driver’s licenses suspended.

So they'll take your driver's license at some point and I would not expect to be able to retain it at any level - I guarandamntee you there are going to be targeted traffic stops and drug tests and legitimate users will lose their licenses.

In addition, the way they are forcing packaging of cannabis, you are going to lose ALL the related cannabinoids. Except maybe CBD.

Then there is this:

The legislation says medical marijuana should not be the first option, but should be used “only after documentation indicates that conventional medical treatment or therapy has failed unless current medical treatment indicates that use of medical cannabis is the standard of care.”

So I use medical marijuana in place of a multitude of pain relief meds, all of which only relieve pain insofar as they knock me into unconsciousness, from which I eventually hopefully wake up to nausea, pulsating headaches, grogginess, and general malaise and distress. And all of which are highly addictive. But according to the above I would have to allow some Dr. Mengele somewhere to run through every pain killer on the market and I would have to prove I have negative reactions, most of which will be dismissed anyway as "quality of life issues, and we don't give a damn about the quality of your life" (word for word what I was told by a doctor once after I reported yet another bad reaction to a medication).

OK maybe they would only require that process for CLASSES of pain meds, but there are still an awful lot of "classes" of pain meds too.

This is another Florida. At every stage they have put in obstacles to actually getting product, and they have restricted available medications to the most expensive forms. I'm sure its being taxed to a fare-thee-well as well.

This only LOOKS like progress.

Top Bottom