Ah, a stupid question....maybe really stupid

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
It was part of an advanced birthday gift on the weekend, but g/f bought me a nice grinder, backlit digital scale and dugout/bat combo that even these arthritic hands can use. Obviously I can figure out the grinder and scale, but I'm a little bit puzzled by the dugout bat.

I know where the fake cigarette goes. Ditto the stash. Flip the top, the fake ciggy pops up and you're supposed to dip it into the stash? Then one hit it with a lighter? First time I used it I inhaled too hard and swallowed some herb. Second time I used it, I titled the 'bat' slightly backwards and the herb poured out of the 'filter'. So how do you load the bat? Do you jam it down really good into the stash to 'pack' a hit in there, and then draw slowly. Or what? How?

I really don't see how this can be used. I know its a matter of technique, but any pointers in the right direction.

thanks

Tom

tdavie,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
Basically ya, you need to pack the bat nice and tight , then you should get 3 or 4 nice hits off it , just dont haul too hard as it gets to the end or you'll be sucking ash , but after a while of packing your bat , the herb gets packed in the bottom of the stash box so you gotta find something to loosnen it back out .

Samsquanch,

the ob

all good in the hood.
I always thought these worked better with sticky herb. you just stick some at the end (like an ash on a cigarette) and smoke that way.

the ob,
Tom,
Samsquanch is dead on. I have been using these little buggers for probably 25 years. Grind the bat into the dugout (filled with well-ground dried herb) and pull out, twisting slightly to brush off the extra. When you look at the end it should be flush.

Then apply flame lightly and you can get an almost vape-like first hit if you are careful. Then depending on your lungs, yeah, 3 or 4 decent hits. Of course the last one is pretty harsh and nasty. Then, sharply tap the bat against the bottom of the dugout to clean. Make sure no cherry of course.

I still use mine way too much, but it is really instant gratification when you need it, so whatta ya gonna do? :/

(Use wooden/bamboo skewers to clean out regularly or you will get a mouthful of nasty)

Howie Feltersnatch,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Thanks for the replies. I messed around with the dugout/bat for a bit using a light, and then heavy tap to pack it. The heavy tap seemed to work a bit better in getting material to stay in the bat.

I found I could get 2 good hits without coughing a lung. Have to compare it to using vapes later this week.

thanks again!

Tom

tdavie,

GreenLeaf

I've used dugouts for more than a decade and just kiss the flame to it or light it like you would a cigarette not like you'd hit a bowl.

I used to tap the bat against the lighter to knock the ash out. Cleaning was easy with an unbent paperclip and soaking the bat in rubbing alcohol and running clean water through it. ISO Alcohol soaked q-tips helped with cleaning too.

I have a glass bat and I enjoyed smoking out of and I got that at a headshop.

Grind the herb very fine like what you'd grind it for the MFLB. I also would notice that the herb would get stuck at the bottom of the dugout but I used to get the herb unstuck with a paperclip or a pocketknife.

I hope this post helps.

GreenLeaf,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
thanks for the hints/tips. The first time I used the bat I inhaled fresh weed (wanted to see how it drew....it takes a light draw). Repacked it, drew lightly, lit it, inhaled too hard and got ash and smoke :) Read the info here and now I can fill it flush to the end of the bat about 80% of the time as well as being able to take hits without sucking ash. I found a video online somewhere that showed a person storing their loaded bat in the dugout with the 'filter' part on the bottom....perhaps so the weed wouldn't fall out during storage.

I'm gonna try using this while taking the dogs for a walk tonight.

Tom

(oh boy, more gadgets to acquire)

tdavie,

vapirtoo

Dugouts? Been there and done that. Whats the name of this site?
LB for life!:/

vapirtoo,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
vapirtoo said:
Dugouts? Been there and done that. Whats the name of this site?
LB for life!:/
Oh, I know it's combustion :) Thats why I've posted in The Vapor Lounge. It was (and still is, but less so) a mystery to me, which is why I gladly accepted when I was offered one as a birthday present. I like the learning curve.

It's something that I'll gladly have that I can use if I don't have batteries for my LB or butane for the Iolite. That having been said, I don't really anticipate being without either of those supplies.

Tom

[Took the dogs for a walk and had the chance to use the dugout/bat for 3 loads/hits and the LB. No doubt I prefer the LB, but the dugout/bat pair appears to be highly effective as a stealth consumption technique albeit it does smell when using it]

tdavie,

Tramp

K here goes. First lose the fake cig..go buy brass shorty bat. It is sharper on end and if ur ganna share it's vented for hot reasons. Also- no disrespect. If ur hitten' three n four "bowls".. U need better herb or......try jus one and wait. See what happens. I get two hits from one bowl. Lots folk drink after drunk. Waste a jack. Anyway. And most impotant.... Lightr ... As stated before, jus kiss bowl w/flame. Then, watch reflection in lighter top. When red dot gone. Stop suckin'. oh, needs to be ground really much! If stickin in bottom, brass bat should take care that. Last, hope top of dugout is slider type n not pivot in middle. Ovr tick toc pivot wears down and mite leak. To carry loaded, put lip end agan spring. This hold hit in place. Hope helps. Bubble bubble bubble......

Tramp,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@ Howie I do know what you mean by instant gratification. I've used the dugout/bat about 4-6 times and there is something similar to vaping (quick access, stealth, thrifty on herb, portable, a light draw seems to work best) and dissimilar (even the first hit, which is sorta close to vaping depending on how long you draw, is extremely harsh by vapor standards I find; and I've sucked ash whish is very unpleasant).

@ Plant I don't know if I'll buy another bat since I'm not sure how long I'll want to continue to use the bat/dugout combo. I do like some of the nice woodwork that I'e seen online and could see buying something else that I appreciate aesthetically even if it might not get a lot of use. But yes your post helps. I've learnt that 'kissing the flame' is very apt. And although I suspect my herb is not dispensary quality, it is what it is. Getting high is a bonus, and I wouldn't want to give that up, but arthritis relief and anxiety reduction is what has allowed me to start enjoying this at all :)

Tom

tdavie,

Flyer

find a machine shop freak, he will turn you a custom brass bat for a short fill or two in exchange

Flyer,
Top Bottom