1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of the FC Community plus a lot of nostalgia

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lwien, Jul 19, 2015.

Tags:
?

What age range do you fall in.....

1. 15 ---- 18

2. 19 ---- 25

3. 26 ---- 35

4. 36 ---- 48

5. 49 ---- 60

6. 61 ---- 70

7. 71 +

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. grokit

grokit well-worn member

53 checking in, repping the last gasp of the baby boomer generation:science:

2. TeeJay1952

TeeJay1952 Well-Known Member

63 Say what youngster?

3. NorVape

NorVape Vape Rictim

Oh, and some people are a lot older than i thought, and some are younger.

@herbivore21 Whaaat, are we the same age?

This is fun :lol:

4. WakeAndVape

WakeAndVape VapeLife X

Who was the biggest surprise to you?

5. GSH

GSH On a Möbius plane

34 here, another 80s child. I remember lots of beige and large shoulder pads :)

6. Superhans

Superhans Active Member

31 here. I thought I'd be one of the younger ones. :)

7. ragnorokk

ragnorokk DERP

Not surprised at the demographics; it seems like the Venn diagram of "internet users," "vaporizer users," and "cannabis users," who are social enough to seek out others.

8. Enchantre

Enchantre Oil Painter

I was born in '60. That wood console TV had gold fabric behind the scrollwork speaker covers... and I was not allowed to sit on the furniture. It all had the clear plastic wrap on it all the time... lamp shades were NEVER removed from their plastic (like cellophane) wrappings. Never.

See, I KNEW I was the older sister. You have to listen to me! Get better, and it was MY SWEATER...

So close. 42 is the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything.
    Click to play YouTube Video

You're welcome.

In my case, 55, 27, and about 80 some mornings.

I am old enough to really appreciate the WICKED sense of humor/humour the mods have here.

I'm 55, feel/act like I'm 27, and my body is still feeling a bit 80-ish at times.

Click to play YouTube Video

This would be me with books...

9. Joel W.

Joel W. Deplorable Basement Dweller Accessory Maker

Yes, life was best when I was 42 just last year. Now that I am 43, everything's in the crapper!

Studies do show that those who have the most birthdays, live longer! True fact.. ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  10. Mister G

Mister G Deceptively Old Fart

True age is mental but my regenerating biological cells are 46 and I still get carded the rare times I buy alcohol. I started out with cannabis 27 years ago as a 100% recreational user, but the older I get the more it swings towards medicinal.

11. mvapes

mvapes Scratchin' Glass! Accessory Maker

Lwein told me once I was a third his age.

12. lemmeadem

lemmeadem Well-Known Member

Anything before the 70's has a pretty distinct sound - live instruments and the like - but most decades of the past have a greater focus on music in pop culture than consumerism in pop culture that I think, starting with the 00's, has been the driving force behind pop music.

Like in the 90's, rebellion dominated the airwaves in the form of emerging hip-hop/rap artists (N.W.A winding down, TuPac stepping up, Biggie, Redman, RZA) and grunge/rock/punk artists (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Radiohead), the 80's had alternative music that sort of kicked back at the 70's, moving away from psychedelia and into a more female-oriented sound with Madonna, Whitney Houston, etc., but also gave way to R.E.M. and hardcore punk that grounded most of what was to happen in the 90's (Black Flag, The Pixies, NIN). The 70's were all disco and European-influence glam-pop and although they focused on style a lot, it was all about love - The Bee Gees (R.I.P to all the fallen brothers, Andy especially), Abba, Wings - but they also had your rock/metal guys like Queen, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Pink Floyd and really early punk stuff. And then the 60's were all Stones and Beatles and Sex Pistols.

The oughts (as far as I can remember - most of my oughts music has been relegated to collecting dust on shelves) came with the emphasis on money and possessions and how much money and possessions could be bragged about in a three-minute song and emphasized hyper-sexuality over everything. Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, the Disney kids all grown up (and some yet to grow up - Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus as Hannah Montana), Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown (deplorable human being), etc. And that era has sort of continued into this decade of music with a more electronica-oriented sound coming out now.

That's all in terms of popular music, of course. Every decade has great music, some just need more attention to find - Immortal Technique is a brilliant rap artist, Bon Iver is a fantastic artist in whatever genre he chooses to pursue, Brand New came around as a rock band and there are still a whole bunch of the usual suspects around to entertain, producing great music year after year even though a lot of public interest has waned.

The 'socially conscious rapper' is seeing a bit of a resurgence with Kendrick Lamar (his Taylor Swift feature and Taylor Swift changing from eloquent country music to pop both angered me to no end), J. Cole, etc... But yeah, generally popular music has moved from a sort of "The People's Music!"-focus to a "The Music That The People Will Buy Music!"-focus.

All this is subjective, though - those artists are just off the top of my head and some of them I don't even like (I really don't understand the musical appeal of Black Flag or, really, any of the really hardcore early punk bands) so this is just a really narrow view of popular music through my eyes.

>.> Sorry about how long-winded that got. I'm a bit of an Air-head. :razz:

I really should get a profile picture if I'm gonna keep doing these Tolkien-esque posts. XD

EDIT: OH! And anyone who's interested in soul, R&B or funk should check out Betty Wright and The Roots' album from a few years ago - The Movie. It's pure, unadulterated, old-school throwback music.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  13. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH Staff Member

Turning 24 soon. Real thankful that FC is a lot more mature than other forums. Most of the drama here ends up being manufacturer-related instead of members shitting on each other everywhere.

14. WakeAndVape

WakeAndVape VapeLife X

24 you say?
    Pop quiz dude...what's this?
    [​IMG]

15. NickDlow

NickDlow Log Hog

Lol a Walkman...

16. WakeAndVape

WakeAndVape VapeLife X

That shit was an ipod back then...lol

17. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH Staff Member

Tape player, duh! I don't have one in my room but I'm about 95% sure I know where it is in the garage. I used to be hot shit when my portable cd player didn't skip if it bumped on something! My parents used to have a vinyl cabinet, got rid of it during a move and now my sister has one that I borrow occasionally. I actually still have a bunch of tapes and CD's in folders and a few vinyls I collect. Last one I played actually was a vinyl of The Chronic my cousin got for me :D

18. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

[​IMG]
    1980s pic
    Now this guy actually had a strap to carry his boom box. I would see folks walking around with these big huge boom boxes balancing them on their shoulders. Kinda funny the different fads.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  19. RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY Space is the Place

Oh, but he was so much older then ...

20. Bravesst

Bravesst Full Steam Ahead Manufacturer

I grew up in the 60's and 70's in Brooklyn NY. Smoked, and SOLD pot on the street corners when I was 16. It was barely a crime... everyone else was on Heroin or Barbituates (qualudes), or hard core drunks. I did no drugs and barely drank because of cannabis.

21. Ratchett

Ratchett Vape Accessories Delta3DStudios.com Accessory Maker

31 here, but I barely look 21 :lol: Hell I've even been carded recently for buying my wife cigarettes!

But seriously, who's older than @lwien??

22. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

God

23. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge

Don't tell lwien that!

24. killick

killick But I like it!

Dirt?

Mirimi, VapeArts, SSVUN~YAH and 9 others like this.
  25. Bravesst

Bravesst Full Steam Ahead Manufacturer

Hey maybe it's the cannabis that keeps you looking younger. I was on the cover of my book, "The Firefighter's Workout Book"... search it on amazon, I was 40 in that pic. Currently, my website is all about kettlebells and fitness, and has a few pictures of me.

I'm now 57. My website: ----> http://kbgym.com

An old girlfriend once told me she thought pot was a preservative of human tissue. I know if I would have been drinking this heavy for 40 years, I would not look and feel like I do today.

Thank God for pot!

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors