• 26 ---- 35

• 36 ---- 48

• 49 ---- 60

• 61 ---- 70

• 71 ---- 80

• 80 +

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nesta

If you don’t mind, lets get into a dark side of the late 60’s & the 70’s…something that’s kind of drifted off the radar 40 years on.

Do you know how we have a collective enemy these days: radical Islamic fundamentalists?

Back in the Nixon era when the country was roiled by the Viet Nam war, protests, racial strife, civil unrest etc. - the enemy was us, the longhaired/student/war protesting/pot smoker.

It was a palpable feeling – whether dealing with the police, the draft board, trying to find a job, an apartment or just trying to live your life. We were harassed & marginalized. [And the same could be said for any person of color, especially those who spoke up.]

The president of the US, Richard Nixon, was a paranoid, vindictive & evil man. Nixon & his men, including John Mitchell, his close friend & the US Attorney General, saw us as a threat to their way of life as well as their tenure in office. And they used their power to go after us (as well as anyone else they saw as an enemy).

We heard the phrase ‘Law & Order’ so often it became nauseating.

And ‘America- Love It or Leave It’ -as if they were patriots protecting the country & did not want to hear a word of dissent or any reasoned argument for change.

One example, that was revealed when Nixon’s ‘secret’ tape recordings became public, was his direct involvement in trying to deport John Lennon. Another minor but telling example: banning any song from the radio that referenced drugs.

It’s been reported that in May of 1971, President Richard Nixon told his chief of staff Bob Haldeman, “I want a goddamn strong statement on marijuana ...I mean one on marijuana that just tears the ass out of them.”

So began the surge in the war on drugs. Nixon’s motivation for ramping up this war was probably more hatred & vindictiveness than any concern for the common good. Forty-four years later, because of his small-minded vengefulness, look at all the damage that’s been done, and of course it continues.
Please excuse replying to my own post (from page 12 of this thread) but I couldn’t help it after seeing this quote from Dan Baum’s article ‘Legalize It All- How to Win the War on Drugs’ in the current issue of Harpers magazine…

Up front and center was a previously overlooked quotation from former top Nixon advisor John D. Ehrlichman, who died in 1999, but admitted in an interview in 1994 that the administration’s "War on Drugs" was actually a reprehensible scheme to target anti-war protesters and African Americans.

Ehrlichman says, “The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

Wow! It’s amazing all the crap & lies dumped on cannabis over the last century. Early on we had Harry Anslinger’s racist & over the top fear mongering. Now we finally get the inside word about Nixon’s ulterior motives. Remember, it was Nixon who classified MJ as Schedule 1, against the advice of the scientific panel he assembled.

But even more amazing is that these hysterical lies are somehow believed - and they live on!

Sorry, had to get that off my chest - back to the fun!

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
This is so off-thread but I have to say I used to edit VHS, I even had an incredibly crude computer program for it. Every edit you made was a one-off copy of the original so you continually lost image quality.
I had a friend who worked in a video store who had special equipment to up the video signal and other editing devices to compensate for the limits of the medium. I was working at a radio station that was going from the transition between LP and CD. Analog and digital in the studio, even 78rpm records.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Last edited:

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art
I just had to resurrect this thread because it took me for a long journey down memory lane, lots of nostalgia. I enjoyed reading through it, and really appreciate it that there are some folks here that are around my age, as so many of the forums are populated mostly by ones a lot younger than myself. There is a real nice range of ages here.

The pictures of the cars brought back a lot of memories! Those were the days when you could tell the make and model of each car because they were distinctive, unlike the generic autos of today. I’ve also been pulling out some music that I haven’t heard in a long time, and have enjoyed it a lot.

BTW, I’m 62, will be 63 in December.

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art
@TeeJay1952 I still enjoy hearing clips from Firesign Theatre. Those were some fun times! I recently played some of those Youtube clips for my 25-year-old son, and he thought they were pretty good. He also listens to the music I used to listen to in the 60's and 70's, with his favorite being the Grateful Dead.

ChooChooCharlie

And Bob Keeshan in general.
And. Rudy Kazuti.

0GxCdUgl.jpg

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
I remember when cannabis started getting better than "mersh", which was mexican brick weed. First it was columbian/mohican, then acapulco gold/panama red and occasional jamacian as well as thai sticks, which were real at first and then mostly fake. Then came "sensimilla", which was code for seedless female buds. Things really started ramping up with "hydro", and "kgb" being quite popular. The humbolt "indica" army changed the game in california. Through the darkest times, the dutch bravely kept the torch lit as far as specialized/medical strains being created and maintained. Finally states like california and colorado were able to create an environment that could take medical/strains to the next level. I fucked combustion the end!
:bigleaf:

And the use of colchicine:)

I just had to resurrect this thread because it took me for a long journey down memory lane, lots of nostalgia. I enjoyed reading through it, and really appreciate it that there are some folks here that are around my age, as so many of the forums are populated mostly by ones a lot younger than myself. There is a real nice range of ages here.

The pictures of the cars brought back a lot of memories! Those were the days when you could tell the make and model of each car because they were distinctive, unlike the generic autos of today. I’ve also been pulling out some music that I haven’t heard in a long time, and have enjoyed it a lot.

BTW, I’m 62, will be 63 in December.

Nick Danger, 3rd Eye.
Hi from someone older:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Vitolo

Vaporist
colchicine
And Paraquat.
The next memory refers to almost 5 decades ago,
Cutting open a "costale" (large burlap sack) full of Mexican weed (a notch above above bricked weed in appearance), and walking away for a few minutes, and coming back to find that what was once green is now gold (not the good gold)
Watching the numbness on the poor hippies face who just invested everything in what he now realized was "Paraquat Pot", made me sad.

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
Ahhh, @Silat, with age comes wisdom! In fact, I have actually figured out how to be in two places at once when I'm not anywhere at all...

You can call me Nancy and don't crush the dwarf. Hand me the pliers.

I saw the boys put on a show at Portland State in a small classroom back in the 70's I think. There were about 20 people there not counting the group. My memory may be suspect on the facts.
We just sat in classroom chairs and they set up at the professors table at the front of the classroom.
"Meet The Reaper" was always one of my fave bits.

Edited because I found the date of the concert and other info. It was just Proctor and Bergman. "Just"... LOL It was fantastic, casual and so much fun.
PROCTOR AND BERGMAN
10 / - 11 / 1973
("PROCTOR AND BERGMAN" TOUR) (TP) - Bergman and Proctor broke away from the group, formed a duo and based their one hour show on their first Album "TV Or Not TV", and experiences on the road, playing at these venues:
Paramount Theater - Portland, OR

Last edited:

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
I just want to say these age brackets are poorly done, and clearly concocted by a young person.

"Oooooo, don't group my pre mid-20s mature self with the 18 y/os.... but let's put the 36ers with those about to turn 50!"

But yea, more mature demographic around here for sure.

Top Bottom