Advice - pax or davinci, which one is right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiggles

Hey everyone!
This is my first post, so hello! I have been a long time smoker. I dabbled with a cheap vaporizer before (basically some PVC with a soldering iron inside, with a globe on top). That did absolutely nothing for me. It turned me off from vaporizers for Awhile considering the cost.

A few years later I tried converting a lightbulb which worked ok, but I gave myself second degree burns. Another strike out.

So, what brings me back to wanting to try vapes and forgo smoking? Well, a very good friend of mine just passed away from cancer. She was 22. Honestly, it has me spooked. At this point I've done this lo enough to know that I've certainly done some damage. Plus I'm limited to only smoking outside because "she who must be obeyed" demands it, she doesnt want it to smell inside because she has students who visit (side business as a tutor). Also, She is a teacher with a career at stake, so i understand. We have families with kids on all sides of our property, and I don't feel comfortable knowing some kids window may be open, or they could be playing outside. Or even knowing our neighbors could be sitting out on a porch. So usually I have to wait til 11 or so, bundle up, and then go outside. Considering I'm usually in bed by midnight, I usually don't smoke very much. Occasionally more on the weekends I guess.

After doing some research it's a toss up between the davinci and the pax. I need something which is simple and just works. I need something which doesn't require a lot of flowers (I use a dugout with a one hitter usually once a day, maybe twice if I'm working from home). It takes me awhile to go through a g, at least a week with the dugout and daily use. I need something minimal smell so it can be used inside. I also want something small and portable so I can take it with me to our towns many festivals. The sleekness of the pax is awesome, and the fact that there is less to think about is very attractive. Like a bowl I don't want to really have to think about 10 different temperature settings, you know?

The ruggedness of the davinci is cool too, though I don't know if I want the fine tuning settings. Plus it looks like it would be less comfortable to just, say, slip into your pocket and go for a walk.

The majority of the time it will sit in a drawer, since I tend not to carry on me (subject to searches, metal detectors at work).

So, given the notes above, which one is better for me?

wiggles,

HSIHP

Welcome to FC! First I would suggest going through both the DaVinci and Pax threads to try to get a feel for both and hear what some people are saying about both of them. I don't own a DaVinci but I have been looking at it for a while and I have read most of the thread and I think that might be what you are looking for. The Pax does use a lot of flowers at a time but it is possible to conserve with it. I have had great success loading one oven and taking a few hits here and there which last me just about the whole day. On the other hand, after the first 6 or 7 hits on low the flavor is mostly gone.

The DaVinci on the other hand (from what I have gathered, I have yet to use one) lets you pack smaller loads and toast it how ever dark you want. If you plan on vaping very little at a time I would think this would be the most important to you.

The Pax is very slick looking. I have used it in front of friends who smoke and they didnt even notice. Its small and fits into your palm so it could be easily concealed at the festivals you speak of while the DaVinci may be more of a hassle (again, I have never used one). It does kind of looks like a walky-talky though so that could be a plus for stealth. Also the DaVinci offers better temp control and even though you say you don't want to worry about different temps, you may find it enjoyable to vape at different temps at different times.

I hope this helps and hopefully someone who owns both of these awesome vapes can chime in here too. Good luck with your choice!

HSIHP,

max

Out to lunch
I use the DV almost exclusively for portable use, with an occasional assist from my Magic Flight Box. I haven't tried the Pax, but a member whose judgement I trust describes it as 'fussy', and I've seen no other posts that challenge that to my satisfaction. In fact if my DV quit working and the company quit making them, I'd happily go back to an iolite for my away from home use, since for me it does the job and cleaning and use is very straightforward. I'm not saying the DV is the best option for you, but I like it a lot, and I'm not the least bit tempted by the Pax.

max,

VapeVoice

I have never used the Davinci. BUt, I am a very happy owner of the Pax. I don't find it to be fussy at all. I read the thread and Knew I had to give it a very simple cleaning after every so many uses. I do that and I have never had an issue. The hits are fantastic, The stealthiness is perfect, and it can be quite efficient with a little practice on loading and clearing after turning it off. My vote is for the Pax all day. If you are looking to save a little money and want a portable that isnt as stealth but works great I'd have to suggest the Solo as well. Good luck with your choice and with you conversion to vaping!

VapeVoice,

wiggles

Hey folks! After reading through a significant amount of both threads, and then visiting my local neighborhood store and holding both in my hands, I ended up going with the Pax. Honestly the sleekness was a factor for me. Plus, I love the whole "turn it on, wait for it to turn green and go" aspect. No thinking is really involved which is what I wanted. The DaVinci, while i'm sure it's a fantastic appliance, just didn't seem to fit what I wanted.

Thus far it's worked very well. While the bowl is huge, a single pack has lasted me ~3 days. Not too bad. Is the one hitter more efficient? Yup. Although now after continued reading I noticed a lot of folks suggesting to keep it on low as long as possible so I will see if that helps.

wiggles,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom