Advice for someone with low tolerance

DolfLun

For the past 15 years I've had periods where I smoked once a week or 2 times per year, my tolerance has always been crazy low. I can get way over the top accidentally just by taking a second hit, while this forces me to use slow caution, it also means that a small amount of herb can last me months.

After a 5 year almost never-run, I've taken back up smoking again and I'm finding it quite therapeutic but its clear that the act of smoking is just not something I want to be doing in 2017, nor significantly re-introducing into my lifestyle.

I'm looking to switch to a vaporizer but hope to find one that stays simple. I won't be going anywhere with it, except out to the porch, so portability or semi-portability is likely helpful. Originally I expected to do a little research that would end in me buying whatever the current Pax model was (a few of my buddies have owned them over the years). Now after a LOT of research I'm aware of a large section of the new market and thinking of picking up a Davinci IQ and/or the significantly more simple Ti Woody from dynavap.

Dynavap thoughts:

I like the idea that it still feels like smoking, it takes so little in it's bowl that I won't be packing once and then leaving herb in the chamber for a month like I suspect i may with an IQ, and the use of fire/on demand will make sure that a 3 week break doesn't leave me frustrated by a dead battery I forgot to charge just to burn a small amount for 30 seconds on the porch.

It's quite easy to read past posts on this forum and watch YT videos to gain perspective on the models for typical comparison points, but I wonder if you guys wouldnt' mind commenting on the devices and categories from my specific concern - Will some types of vaporizers allow me to stretch out the experience and thus get more out of the "session" being that I'm ultra-low tolerance or am I likely going to still max out at 1 or 2 pulls.

Lower temperatures should allow me to focus on flavor and reduce strong hits I think.

Pax/IQ Thoughts:

I know that the pax has a half pack lid which would be way more complimentary to solo smoking for me, but perhaps the heat customization of the smart path allows the IQ to have a softer application towards my tolerance?

A vapcap sounds like a great match for me as I can simply heat once, take 2 draws and be done without waste, over complication or even an extended heat-up/prep time.

I know that a lot of the vape experience and goal is sipping, cloud chasing, flavor appreciation, etc - and I understand that each person has priorities, etc. My question is - knowing that I typically need to smoke very little, which types or specific units should I look for? I don't mind one that stretches out the experience, that has actually never been something I could do with smoking without sorely regretting it.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Welcome @DolfLun The VapCap sounds like the best vape for a starter for you. They make several models. The M is only $50 and you would be using a jet butane lighter.

I would also check out the Solo 2 for a second unit, its a portable. The cost is a little over $250. I don't have the Solo 2 yet and have the Solo OG. The Solo 2 is said to be better with the slimmer line and the digital temp screen. The battery is a beast. Arizer is a great company out of Canada that's been in business for quite a while. Arizer products will last the owner a long time, a real investment. You could buy the Solo OG for under $150.

Think about a few units you are interested in and read about 3 or 4 pages and ask questions and do searches to field anything that's been addressed in the threads. Sometimes they get pretty
long.

Edit
Maybe an On Demand unit would be best for you because of your low tolerance. A Solo is more of a session vaporizer. The Milaana is an On Demand unit, it runs on a battery. Check that one out, I have that one. It is a hard hitter. You might only need one draw.
The Vapman is very popular check that On Demand unit out also.

Last edited:

DolfLun

Welcome @DolfLun The VapCap sounds like the best vape for a starter for you. They make several models. The M is only $50 and you would be using a jet butane lighter.

I would also check out the Solo 2 for a second unit, its a portable. I don't have the Solo 2 yet and have the Solo OG. The Solo 2 is said to be better with the slimmer line and the digital temp screen. The battery is a beast. Arizer is a great company out of Canada that's been in business for quite a while.

Think about a few units you are interested in and read about 3 or 4 pages and ask questions and do searches to field anything that's been address in the threads. Sometimes they get pretty long.

While the M looks great, I think I'd have to go for the Ti Woody, just looks too gorgeous to pass up ;-)

Thanks, awesome advice. I will look into the Solo 2 - I know exactly what you mean about getting in depth after picking a few specific units, that is the spot I'm at - but so rarely do the reviews or comments focus on "if I'm low tolerance will this allow me to have long or at least compliment short sessions"

Thanks again for the thoughts

little maggie

I think on-demand instead of session vapes might be more helpful. Do you have an issue with harshness or just tolerance. I had the solo 1 but it was too restricted. I understand the 2 is not.
Anyway some other vapes to consider for on demand that are really nice for 1 person and for microdosing are the milaana as mentioned, the tubo (in the unreleased portable section but is available already, the MVT. All are battery operated ones.
You might also like one of the bricks which are butane. I have the predecessor of the bricks and again you only take 1 or 2 hits at most and stop.
And if you're getting a vapcap you might check into the woodscent log which is a plug-in.
Ddave sells something called a concentration chamber which uses a screenless method to help microdose on the tubo or milaana.
I also really like the vapor brothers which rarely gets mentioned. It's a plug in and with the whip that is not handfree it is also on demand.

sickmanfraud

I would recommend a Mist Vape Touch (MVT). http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/mistvape-touch.23205/

It uses on demand convection and the 14mm form factor seems very good for your vaping needs.

If you are in the USA and the Solo 2 is one of the possibilities you can get one from @PlanetVape that should be under $195 US factoring in their coupon and the exchange rate.

That price includes free shipping and a free 14 mm GONG.

Last edited:
sickmanfraud,
Reactions: CarolKing

DolfLun

Welcome @DolfLun
I would also check out the Solo 2 for a second unit, its a portable. The cost is a little over $250. I don't have the Solo 2 yet and have the Solo OG. The Solo 2 is said to be better with the slimmer line and the digital temp screen. The battery is a beast. Arizer is a great company out of Canada that's been in business for quite a while. Arizer products will last the owner a long time, a real investment. You could buy the Solo OG for under $150.

Edit
Maybe an On Demand unit would be best for you because of your low tolerance. A Solo is more of a session vaporizer. The Milaana is an On Demand unit, it runs on a battery. Check that one out, I have that one. It is a hard hitter. You might only need one draw.
The Vapman is very popular check that On Demand unit out also.

I'm thinking the Solo while it looks great - is quite designed for sessions, it gets "un-packed" when you take it apart which won't compliment the fact that I would likely leave an IQ or Pax for a few days between use without re-packing.

Edit: Thanks for your continued thoughts.

CarolKing

The Solo is a session vaporizer but the stem can be taken out and used later. I do that all the time. In fact there are caps that you can put on the cooled stem. There are also stems that have a smaller area for cannabis they are called the PVHES shorty mouthpieces for the Solos and the Arizer Air. You can buy them through PlanetVape.

On Demand looks like what you need. What about the Elevape Smart the LSV. It's an On Demand unit as well. I tried it out a few times but don't have one,

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Reactions: steama

lwien

Another great vape for micro-dosing is the MFLB. I too have a pretty low tolerance (kinda of legend around here actually.........;)) and I've been using my heat on demand, battery powered MFLB (Magic Flight Launch Box) for almost 8 years now. I use it as a maintenance hitter. Just one hit every other night. There's a bit of a learning curve but I can help you through that. Got it down pat. A full trench lasts me a month and I never have to reload it.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I agree the MFLB may be what works best for you. It uses very little material, is fairly easy to master and although there is a battery, it is a standard AA rechargeable without a label. It generally produces very light and often tasty vapor, which sounds like something you may be looking for.

Either this or a VapCap. VapCap is also very simple to use - just be sure not to burn yourself with flamoe or hot tip.

One of the nice things about either of these is their small size. If you are looking to take a few hits and put it up for a day or two (or more) these two devices can easily be sealed airtight. The VCs come with their own little airtight cases that should work fine here. The MFLB could easily be sealed up in 1/2 pint mason jar.

I would be careful going with some of the others suggested - specifically the Milanna or Mist Vape Touch. Both are great vaporizers I own and enjoy using, but both have a bit of a learning curve. Concern here could be that if you are vaping so little it could take quite some time to get a good feeling for either. Not just that you are vaping less and not getting the time in to practice, but if you're like me starting again a couple days later may not be quite where you left off on previous session. Could take quite a while to get good with either going like this. VapCap and MFLB are virtually foolproof and take much less technique IME.

Mr. Me2

Lots of great suggestions here and I agree with many, particularly the vapcap. But I'll add the grasshopper. For me it's the perfect one-and-done vape.

Mr. Me2,
Reactions: DolfLun

little maggie

Just a slight disagreement. As I've said I never could master the vapman at all so I tend to be slow on learning new vapes. I had no learning curve with the milaana and I've had one since they first came out. I do have one with the tubo but that's mainly because I'm not used to dealing with software and I've only had it for a little while. (It's still my current go to vape) None with the MVT. There may be some kind of curve in refining use of them but I've never cared about that. They both are push the button and inhale vapes that never combusted so I'm not sure about a learning curve. On the other hand, although I love and recommend it, I did have quite a few combusting experiences with the vapcap before I got the hang of it. The MFLB was my first vape and I think you might like some of the other suggestions. It doesn't sound like you need stealth.

little maggie,
Reactions: CarolKing

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Just a slight disagreement. As I've said I never could master the vapman at all so I tend to be slow on learning new vapes. I had no learning curve with the milaana and I've had one since they first came out. I do have one with the tubo but that's mainly because I'm not used to dealing with software and I've only had it for a little while. (It's still my current go to vape) None with the MVT. There may be some kind of curve in refining use of them but I've never cared about that. They both are push the button and inhale vapes that never combusted so I'm not sure about a learning curve. On the other hand, although I love and recommend it, I did have quite a few combusting experiences with the vapcap before I got the hang of it. The MFLB was my first vape and I think you might like some of the other suggestions. It doesn't sound like you need stealth.

Different people have different experiences, I guess. Only issues I've ever had with VapCap are due to not paying attention to the click (or didn't have a click). If you respect the click and heat in right spots on cap, I find them pretty foolproof.

On the other hand both the MI & MVT require you to get the hang of unregulated power. To me (and think this would be even more so with inexperienced vaper) you have to learn to adjust to the heat on your tongue and throttle the power button accordingly. By the time you taste smoke or anything close to it, it's too late. With the MI, IME, by the time it feels a little too hot it's too late as it seems to take a second or 2 more to cool than the MVT.

Or, you can hit both a bit too lightly and only get wispy vapor. To get good extraction from either I find you have to know what properly temped vapor should feel like and learn how to throttle the button of either to hang right in that zone. I can (and sometimes do) combust with either despite vaping for more than 7 years (tho it's most likely when a good bit stoned or drunk). Friends that are combusters who use them regularly combust with either if I'm not closely walking them through the process, as I know the "counts" for either depending on strain, load, how long battery has been in, etc. FWIW, I have a friend who often combusts, but uses an MFLB more than anything. She'll roast MI/MVT faster than anyone because of the difference of mouth temp feeling of MFLB compared to these two.

So IMO, neither are best for a new vaper, especially someone who will only be taking a hit or two every couple days. Sure, anyone could pick either up and use them, but would think that wispy vapor with too little throttle, or regularly combusting with too much throttle, would turn many people off of vaping right out of the gate before they get the hang of regulating heat.

YMMV of course! Some people may be able to learn quickly what good vapor temp feels like on the tongue, and have little issue or learning curve. May just be that no-one I know is like this, but many people are. What I do know is that if I hand someone a VC and a lighter and say heat it right here until it clicks, hit it until it clicks again, heat it again until click, etc, they usually don't have any problem except keeping track of the clicks after that second load!

little maggie

Different people have different experiences, I guess. Only issues I've ever had with VapCap are due to not paying attention to the click (or didn't have a click). If you respect the click and heat in right spots on cap, I find them pretty foolproof.

On the other hand both the MI & MVT require you to get the hang of unregulated power. To me (and think this would be even more so with inexperienced vaper) you have to learn to adjust to the heat on your tongue and throttle the power button accordingly. By the time you taste smoke or anything close to it, it's too late. With the MI, IME, by the time it feels a little too hot it's too late as it seems to take a second or 2 more to cool than the MVT.

Or, you can hit both a bit too lightly and only get wispy vapor. To get good extraction from either I find you have to know what properly temped vapor should feel like and learn how to throttle the button of either to hang right in that zone. I can (and sometimes do) combust with either despite vaping for more than 7 years (tho it's most likely when a good bit stoned or drunk). Friends that are combusters who use them regularly combust with either if I'm not closely walking them through the process, as I know the "counts" for either depending on strain, load, how long battery has been in, etc. FWIW, I have a friend who often combusts, but uses an MFLB more than anything. She'll roast MI/MVT faster than anyone because of the difference of mouth temp feeling of MFLB compared to these two.

So IMO, neither are best for a new vaper, especially someone who will only be taking a hit or two every couple days. Sure, anyone could pick either up and use them, but would think that wispy vapor with too little throttle, or regularly combusting with too much throttle, would turn many people off of vaping right out of the gate before they get the hang of regulating heat.

YMMV of course! Some people may be able to learn quickly what good vapor temp feels like on the tongue, and have little issue or learning curve. May just be that no-one I know is like this, but many people are. What I do know is that if I hand someone a VC and a lighter and say heat it right here until it clicks, hit it until it clicks again, heat it again until click, etc, they usually don't have any problem except keeping track of the clicks after that second load!
Now I feel like I'm totally missing something- heat on my tongue and all those other things that need to be tuned into are new to me. I truly just push and inhale as I said. From reading what you wrote it's clear I'm doing something wrong.

little maggie,

CarolKing

I don't think the VapCap is for everyone. I personally don't like using a lighter. I usually have music going or the TV is on and sometimes it's hard for me to hear the click. It was just too much fiddling for me. I like easy and sit back and relax while I'm vaporizing. I thought the VapCap was too much work.

For an On Demand user it would work well and for those coming from smoking. I'm more of a session vaporist.

I do use the VC M with my Woodscents and I may end up buying another one at some point but just to use as a mouthpiece.

You need to find a vaporizer that YOU personally like to use or you will go back to smoking.

There are some good ideas thrown out there. Do your due diligence and read up of what vaporizer would work with your lifestyle.:cool: What I've learned is just because someone likes a certain vape doesn't mean that you're are going to like it. I have vaporizers that I have bought but passed it on to someone else because it didn't work well for me personally.

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Now I feel like I'm totally missing something- heat on my tongue and all those other things that need to be tuned into are new to me. I truly just push and inhale as I said. From reading what you wrote it's clear I'm doing something wrong.

I don't know about that. You probably just have the innate talent to hit them right. Are you getting vapor? Enough to satisfy you? If yes to both, you're all good! For me to get the best vapor I can I havr to try to stay at the heat I like (and this changes through the load and for other reasons). Combusting friends love to smoke these up, tho. Not intentionally, just that they have trouble getting the hang of it.

..... You need to find a vaporizer that YOU personally like to use or you will go back to smoking.

There are some good ideas thrown out there. Do your due diligence and read up of what vaporizer would work with your lifestyle.:cool: What I've learned is just because someone likes a certain vape doesn't mean that you're are going to like it. I have vaporizers that I have bought but passed it on to someone else because it didn't work well for me personally.

^THIS^ is truly best thing in this whole thread. Take the suggestions given here and try to do a little research here on FC for whatever looks interesting. If I were you I'd do this, then come back here and ask any questions.

snackmaster

I think you'd be very happy with a Ti woody. I have a pretty low tolerance and I've found myself using my vapcaps more than anything else lately. They're just super easy to use and very efficient. You can easily do sessions with fewer high-temp hits or more low-temp hits. **edit: I also think you'll really appreciate being able to adjust the screen position in the Ti tip

They kinda suck in windy/bright/loud conditions, but are otherwise great. Torches can be a pain, but not as much as batteries IMO.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Torches can be a pain, but not as much as batteries IMO.

Even though it's so much faster than charging a battery, I always feel like refilling my torches in a pain in the ass. It's not really a big deal, but it sure seems like it; for whatever reason.

I hope Dynavap ultimately comes out with their own torch. All mine are alright but each do their own weird thing. Especially the ones that make me turn UP the flame size as butane gets LOW...

snackmaster

Even though it's so much faster than charging a battery, I always feel like refilling my torches in a pain in the ass. It's not really a big deal, but it sure seems like it; for whatever reason.

I hope Dynavap ultimately comes out with their own torch. All mine are alright but each do their own weird thing. Especially the ones that make me turn UP the flame size as butane gets LOW...

Yeah, I can't argue with any of that. I have plenty of quirky torches and they can definitely increase my blood pressure. I just tend to gravitate toward butane and plug-in vapes because I can leave them for months at a time and when I pick them up again there's really no performance degradation.

little maggie

There is also the Supreme which is supposed to be very powerful. I haven't tried mine. I'm fine with butane but got intimidated by the size of the torch needed so it's resting while I decide what to do with it.
Anyway, in suggesting the milaana and others I was thinking of those as a second vape. I also find dealing with lighters more problematic than batteries but I agree with the vapcap as a primary vape. Just not the original glass one. Any of the others would be great.

DolfLun

I think on-demand instead of session vapes might be more helpful. Do you have an issue with harshness or just tolerance. I had the solo 1 but it was too restricted. I understand the 2 is not.
Anyway some other vapes to consider for on demand that are really nice for 1 person and for microdosing are the milaana as mentioned, the tubo (in the unreleased portable section but is available already, the MVT. All are battery operated ones.
You might also like one of the bricks which are butane. I have the predecessor of the bricks and again you only take 1 or 2 hits at most and stop.
And if you're getting a vapcap you might check into the woodscent log which is a plug-in.
Ddave sells something called a concentration chamber which uses a screenless method to help microdose on the tubo or milaana.
I also really like the vapor brothers which rarely gets mentioned. It's a plug in and with the whip that is not handfree it is also on demand.

Thanks, I have looked at the bricks and they look interesting. I may look farther.

On the topic of the woodscent log - I am finding it very hard to research. The official site is crowded with info, not sure how the device works and can't find a single video review of it. can you guide me to some information on it? Is it a nicer e-nano?

Appreciate your thoughts and guidance

CarolKing

The Woodscents is about $100 more than the Enano. It comes with a big package. Also with some unique wood pieces. It works well with the Wooden stem that has a ti tip. The ti tip is a unique feature to a log vape, it allows you to use some of the VapeCaps. I prefer using the ti tip better than just using the wooden stem. The glass stem that comes with the Woodscents doesn't fit well over the top of the heater and needs to be held in place. That's the only draw back for me , I love a glass airpath. Like with most log vapes it doesn't use a lot of product. The WS uses less product overal than the Enano but not that much.

The Enano is a great log vape in its own right with the thick glass stems. The Enano as well as the Woodscents have awesome vapor flavor. The WS has a pretty strong heater and heats up a bit faster than the Enano by a few minutes. I take the stem out of my WS between draws, if I don't I use up too much product. The mouthpieces make these two units different. I love the Enano's thick glass stems that cools the vapor. You will have to read up on both. The WS is newer so there is less to read. You will see both units have very happy customers.

I love both units and they would make a good vaporizer for a medical patient or the recreational user. Log vapes make a good addition to any vaporizer's arsenal. They are very easy to use and clean without many little pieces to keep track of.

Here is the pic of the ti tip that can be screwed on the end of a wooden stem. This is the the ti tip that also comes with some VapCaps. You can see the special screen inside. It often comes down to personal preference with any vaporizer. It also can be a big investment.

VM5vnso.jpg

Last edited:

DolfLun

The Solo is a session vaporizer but the stem can be taken out and used later. I do that all the time. In fact there are caps that you can put on the cooled stem. There are also stems that have a smaller area for cannabis they are called the PVHES shorty mouthpieces for the Solos and the Arizer Air. You can buy them through PlanetVape.

On Demand looks like what you need. What about the Elevape Smart the LSV. It's an On Demand unit as well. I tried it out a few times but don't have one,

thanks for the heads up on the PVHES those look interesting, shorty bend looks great. i also saw a black stem that I think the guy from Sneaky Pete's was using during his review that looked great, wonder if it comes in a small bowl version. I need to look into how the Solo II compares with the IQ which seems easier to store/use/program than the solo 2 experience. I am not sure if the Solo 2 is a better unit (for my uses or anyones) or if it is just a great portable unit for the price ($100 less)

DolfLun,

DolfLun

If you're in a legal state a prefilled cart would be cheap and easy for your minimal usage style.

I have considered these but my state is Medical only and Carts are not legal here. I have a family member that lives in a state where carts are legal (CA) so I may get one of those in a few weeks during a visit. That sounds incredibly simple for use/experience. Any comments on how it "hits" regarding being low tolerance/microdosing?

Top Bottom