Advanced THC e-Juice / mods / tanks / coils / builds / recipes

Filhote

When I make Liquids, i make it with qwet extraction (with grain alcohol 96,6%). The last seconds before the concentrate is solventless i stop heating. The concentrate include a little bit alcohol. When I have solventless concentrate, i heat it with peg400 , then pg, then vg and a few Drops alcohol. You can take Vodka, i prefer 96,6% direct from the producer
The Problem is the polarity...but alcohol is a bipolar solvent...The fix the thc - vg gap. The taste never smell like alcohol. And 3 months stable and clear.
But with Hash, marrocan Hash, the vg problem ist more tricky. I have no answer! in 2 years, only one batch works really fine and stable.

randomtoker

You're totally on to it with ethanol and polarity. I did some searching around for glycerin, ethanol, and polarity and found a few gems in old threads.

Both of these are old abandoned threads, but in both of them people describe the solution (using ethanol to help get concentrates to dissolve in VG), but no one pays attention. It's funny, over the years of people trying this, everyone finds PG and PEG and abandons VG. In the old threads people were just using VG to extract THC from decarbed pot and switched to PG / PEG when they started trying to dissolve concentrates.

In this one, a user named "squigley" explains the polarity problem with concentrates and VG very well. It's the 12th post down the page (ignore the rest of the posts).
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...erin-based-bho-tincture-for-vaporizing.50391/

In this one, 2 users come into the old thread and drop the solution but no one is listening. Read posts #3, #4, and #5 (ignore the rest of the posts).
https://forum.grasscity.com/threads...glycerin-for-a-non-alcoholic-tincture.539304/

They make 2 very good suggestions. I'll try @Filhote 's suggested recipe first, but afterwards I'm going to try these 2 things based on those posts:

Ethanol Transfer
- first dissolve concentrate in ethanol
- mix with VG
- evap off ethanol

Use no heat / no solvent extracted concentrate
- try dry sift or kief VG extraction
- both are concentrated but neither are produced by heat or solvent so they have in tact trichomes and contain little plant oil
- do the low heat, long soak in VG that people used to do with decarbed pot, then strain

shark sandwich

"shit sandwich"
Accessory Maker
I found another interesting thread while reading through those two you linked. The first poster outlines a way to blend bho and VG using only a homogenizer and heat, in alternating steps. There is no alcohol, peg, or pg used, and the solution supposedly stays stable for 90 days.

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/emulsifying-vegetable-glycerin-and-bho-for-a-tincture.1399349/

I think the method described above could be combined with the alcohol transfer method with good results. For instance:

-mix concentrate with ethanol 1:1
-homogenize that mixture with VG 1:10
-heat solution to 80c for 30 min
-re-homogenize
-reheat
-homogenize one last time.

Also, for anyone using an RTA to vape, I found one that should work well with thicker solutions. It looks like it has a good deck and juice flow design. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo0siGaIUA

Last edited:

grnmtnvaper

First method I tried was decarb Herb then mix with a 50:50 blend of pg:vg. Tasted ok but wasn't very strong. I am wondering if using this method in a sub ohm TC device would give better reults. I would also try not decarbing since the coil gets hot enough and that would give a much fresher herb taste.

The second method I tried was decarb herb. Extract with alcohol (an attempt to get all the THC out and make a stronger mix) then evap off the alcohol. When it starts getting thick add the pg/VG mix. I would continue heating until all the alcohol was gone. By this time it would have separated. And there would be black globs floating around in the pg/VG mix. I had read that alcohol was not a good thing to vape so getting it all out was always a priority. If it isn't that bad to have in your juice then I have seen it work. I'm not sure how long it would be stable for though as I never left it in that state.

Update on current tanks with mix from above:

I had enough left over mix steeping to refill both tank again. Since they were both still clear and wicking good I refilled. I usually change the coils and clean the tank after each fill but but the end of the tank the mix would be thick and dark and I would be getting burnt hits all the time. This wasn't happening with the thinner mix. I am about halfway through the odyssey and almost done with the nautilus. Both are not performing as well as with new coils. I am going to take out all the mix. Add .2g concentrate and .2 puff majic and reblend. Adjust the flavor a little maybe. I will put it in the nautilus with a cleaned triton mini coil. The coils appear to be identical so I am thinking I can run all my tanks on TC. This is also the first time I am using a cleaned coil. Soaked for a few days in ISO and dried for a few more. Hoping this works. If it does I am going to buy some triton mini TC coils in bulk.

I also notice huge differences in flavor delivery between the two devices. Same mix and flavor blend but the nautilus comes through very baked cookie and sweet cream with strawberry back note. The triton is lacking all baked notes and all I taste is dry fruit top note with no sweetness. This is going to add a whole bunch of other variables to contend with. Lol. Bring it on!

Still building coils for the RTAs hoping to have something workable by the time I'm ready to refill.

Deleted Member 1643

Ethanol Transfer
- first dissolve concentrate in ethanol
- mix with VG
- evap off ethanol

Use no heat / no solvent extracted concentrate
- try dry sift or kief VG extraction
- both are concentrated but neither are produced by heat or solvent so they have in tact trichomes and contain little plant oil
- do the low heat, long soak in VG that people used to do with decarbed pot, then strain

The second method I tried was decarb herb. Extract with alcohol (an attempt to get all the THC out and make a stronger mix) then evap off the alcohol. When it starts getting thick add the pg/VG mix. I would continue heating until all the alcohol was gone. By this time it would have separated. And there would be black globs floating around in the pg/VG mix

Been there, done that, same disastrous results. Added VG earlier, separated long before EtOH evaporated.

Like to try extraction with kief. Filtration afterward likely still problematic. Vacuum and heat not enough, probably need tincture press. Love MB2 - 130F cycle for eight hours might be enough.

the end of the tank the mix would be thick and dark

Maybe volatiles evaporating (thick) and oil decarboxylating (dark).

Now the fun part - UP Tech Hercules cartridge works as advertised! So far - no idea how long cartridge will last, etc. Will report back.

It's like Vape Donkey 650's solution, just oil, but it doesn't have to be runny. Flavor is top-notch - like ceramic donut pen attys. Better than low-temp dabs, IMLE. Hit intensity is greater, probably approaching dab strength with practice.

A little disappointed in appearance - 10 cm long black plastic. Like a mini-dildo. Not that stealthy - looks suspicious. UP Tech included one of their thin 601 vape pens as a freebie. How nice, a product that works and a gift.

Here's hoping this game is over!

Edit: Joy quickly tempered with frustration. An exceedingly fussy device. Inhalation draws up titanium wick. Need to push back down around heating rod after each hit. Fine, maybe squeezing wick more initially will fix. No adhesives (good); nearly 20 pieces screwed together (problematic). Unfortunately, oil is an adhesive. Retaining collar sticks to heat core. Attempting to unscrew mouthpiece to push back wick generally unscrews something else instead, necessitating disassembly after each hit. Still, an admirable cartridge, probably workable with patience.

Last edited:

randomtoker

I still want to try ethanol transfer. Did you read the links? The way people did it successfully was with heat. 1:1 concentrate:ethanol, then mix that to desired dilution in glycerin (apparent max solubility of concentrate in glycerin is 1:3 concentrate:glycerin so you can't mix thicker than that and get a solution). Then, they were heating that at over 200f for a long time. The high temp is apparently required. You'll lose terps but not THC/CBD.

I'd like to try it like that, not the QWET early mix and evap that has been mentioned here on this thread. I think it's worth a try.

randomtoker,
Reactions: NorVape

Deleted Member 1643

The way people did it successfully was with heat. 1:1 concentrate:ethanol, then mix that to desired dilution in glycerin

Go for it! Haven't tried, exactly - was talking about solvent transfer failure. Lost some notes from last year's experiments. At that time, used heat to purge/decarb (up to 250F in an oil bath; produces dark, runny oil). Also, even good QWET is likely dirtier than non-polar extraction (no access; can't blast BHO outdoors).

Can add terps back for flavor. Appears to be where industry is going. Curious about "clear" concentrate. Still a few things to try, like adding emulsifier (if any are safe for inhalation). Admire your persistence!

Delirium_trigger

So in my few months of experimenting (slowly), I've got a few mixes that everyone seems to prefer. There quite simple and basic, unlike some of these fully diy mixes that are going on.

For a CE3 type cartridge i tend to use a 1:4 ratio, it breaks down to 1g oil : 3.5ml of HT Philosopher : .5ml of Pure.
For a o.pen type cartridge i use a 1:1 ratio, it breaks down to 1g oil : .5ml HT Philosopher : .5ml of Pure.

I initially tried the Pure at a ratio of 1g : .5ml and wasn't impressed with the results. The oil does run but not enough for even the o.pen type carts. I can get one good tasting hit every 2-3 minutes or so. A repeat hit tastes stale and burnt as its not wicking well enough. Didn't care to experiment much more along this avenue, so added a half a ml of holy terp and it made it work perfectly.

Pure Original - is strongly of d'limonene, my initial impressions was it was too strong. I think this was mainly because of getting it on my fingers and all. I've come to appreciate the subtle lemony flavor in the two mixes I listed above.

Pure Strawberry - is a sweet floral smell and taste. Very similar to strawberry's in my opinion. People have told me that this one is a bit smoother than the Pure Original.

I just ordered some Pure Blueberry and Tangerine, along with some Holy Terp Couch Lock for my next couple of batches. Will report back with thoughts on the flavors.

Pictures are hard....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF4iwsQO6W8
https://www.instagram.com/p/BF4iuhQu6W4/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BF4isCOu6Wx/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BF4ipGjO6Wp/

Last edited:

Filhote

Next week i will try new batches. I'll try to make Fotos step by step. I hope we can find a good way for a stable wellvaping Liquid.
A really Mystic plant....nice science hobby

Delirium_trigger

Now the fun part - UP Tech Hercules cartridge works as advertised! So far - no idea how long cartridge will last, etc. Will report back.

It's like Vape Donkey 650's solution, just oil, but it doesn't have to be runny. Flavor is top-notch - like ceramic donut pen attys. Better than low-temp dabs, IMLE. Hit intensity is greater, probably approaching dab strength with practice.

A little disappointed in appearance - 10 cm long black plastic. Like a mini-dildo. Not that stealthy - looks suspicious. UP Tech included one of their thin 601 vape pens as a freebie. How nice, a product that works and a gift.

Here's hoping this game is over!

Edit: Joy quickly tempered with frustration. An exceedingly fussy device. Inhalation draws up titanium wick. Need to push back down around heating rod after each hit. Fine, maybe squeezing wick more initially will fix. No adhesives (good); nearly 20 pieces screwed together (problematic). Unfortunately, oil is an adhesive. Retaining collar sticks to heat core. Attempting to unscrew mouthpiece to push back wick generally unscrews something else instead, necessitating disassembly after each hit. Still, an admirable cartridge, probably workable with patience.

I found if you try to slightly pull the wick apart to open it up a tiny bit more it stops all movement of the wick during hits.

Be sure you're doing plenty of cool down hits and most issues you might have will be prevented. The oil will not leave the tank through the air holes to get everything messy if the device is cooled properly during and after use.

The mouthpiece unscrewing the whole outer shell is something I actually like because it leaves no room for me to screw up and get oil on the threads or anything during loading. But I can see how it can annoying to some.

Despite its quirks and learning curve, it is a very solid device. Maybe the safest and cleanest wax pen available. No parts to replace if used properly. Easily cleaned back to near new condition. Can't wait for the new Persei to drop for the temp control.

Delirium_trigger,

Deleted Member 1643

I found if you try to slightly pull the wick apart to open it up a tiny bit more it stops all movement of the wick during hits.

Be sure you're doing plenty of cool down hits and most issues you might have will be prevented. The oil will not leave the tank through the air holes to get everything messy if the device is cooled properly during and after use...

Despite its quirks and learning curve, it is a very solid device. Maybe the safest and cleanest wax pen available. No parts to replace if used properly. Easily cleaned back to near new condition.

Thanks for the tips. Getting the hang of it. And loving it!

Where are the air holes on the bottom of the heat core?

Agree, seems very solid. Reminds me of a hand-made RDA. Not flashy, has a learning curve - small price for such a cleanly-designed device. Still need to take it through a full cycle - reclaim, efficiency, etc.

And the little 601 freebie vape pen works great and is super-stealthy!

Noticed earlier post - oil-cartridge isn't an e-liquid replacement for you?

Last edited:
Deleted Member 1643,

Delirium_trigger

Thanks for the tips. Getting the hang of it. And loving it!

Where are the air holes on the bottom of the heat core?

Agree, seems very solid. Reminds me of a hand-made RDA. Not flashy, has a learning curve - small price for such a cleanly-designed device. Still need to take it through a full cycle - reclaim, efficiency, etc.

And the little 601 freebie vape pen works great and is super-stealthy!

Noticed earlier post - oil-cartridge isn't an e-liquid replacement for you?

Yes, the three holes around the rod leading to the reclaim chamber.

I've had oil go into the reclaim chamber and out the side air holes to fill the void between the cartridge and heat shield when letting friends use it at the bar. From not cooling it and laying it on its side.

So for personal use I mainly use the hercules, but it does smell. So times I need to be ultra discreet, I will use one of the diluted setups. I mainly make the diluted ones for friends though.

Delirium_trigger,

Filhote

Today I try a ceramic coil in my dripper. 6.51 V, 1 ohm, 40 watt. No dry hit, good taste and big clouds. A new way for me!?
25691001tz.jpg

Bad Ocelot

Nice, just started messing with ceramics for nic juice. Definitely wanna give them a try with canna juice at some point as well. What rda is that?

Bad Ocelot,

Filhote

After one day of testing the Deck and Wick, i think for this Coil we need a bottom Airflow like the Mutation x4. The velocity here works well. With 40-50 Watt the results are amazing.
Also I'll try a double Coil build with .5 Ohm at a 30 mm dripper for more space and more flow inside the camber.

grnmtnvaper

I remixed some leftovers about 1-1.2ml with .3g shatter and .3ml of PM. I put that in the nautilus mini with a Clapton coil for the triton mini. I'm not sure if the mix is thick or of it just doesn't taste good or maybe the coil doesn't work well with this tank but I am not impressed with the performance. I am deciding whether I should take the juice out of that one and put it in the triton or put a different coil in the nautilus and see it that changes performance. If I bleach it in the nautilus I have a few cleaned reused coils I could try but that test didn't go so well in the triton.

Hyphy

@grnmtnvaper thick juice doesn't wick well and dry(ish) hits can produce an off taste. I'd recommend checking out youtube ecig vids to gauge how viscous the juice should be.

Hyphy,

Deleted Member 1643

After one day of testing the Deck and Wick, i think for this Coil we need a bottom Airflow like the Mutation x4.

Maybe a stoned idea, but if wicked on the outside, why use ceramic coil instead of rod? What's the purpose of the empty space inside the coil? Also the way Herc is designed: titanium wick around ceramic heating rod.

w1jP2uJ.jpg

Cleaned purge dish from 2nd run QWET with a few drops PEG400 and 1 ml PG. Loaded into test rig - Achilles RDA with titanium coil and JOC wick. So much chlorophyll, because it's from freeze-dried bud. Even winterized after QWET (which makes little sense) and filtered to 0.45 microns. Tastes worse than it looks but surprisingly potent.

Last edited:

Filhote

Maybe a stoned idea, but if wicked on the outside, why use ceramic coil instead of rod? What's the purpose of the empty space inside the coil? Also the way Herc is designed: titanium wick around ceramic heating rod.

The Space inside the ceramic works as a little Airflow. But I has the same question ...
@Accept the Wick and the Liquid looks like mine

Today I try a dual Alien Clapton Coil with muji. My goal was a slow heating curve without dry hits. I try a quick and dirty Liquid with PEG and pg without alcohol.... with 50 Watt and .22 Ohm it's awesome taste.

Deleted Member 1643

Today I try a dual Alien Clapton Coil with muji. My goal was a slow heating curve without dry hits. I try a quick and dirty Liquid with PEG and pg without alcohol.... with 50 Watt and .22 Ohm it's awesome taste.

Cool. How's muji? Joined FC to ask about best wicking on the 1-hitter thread. Then using VE liquids in the RDA, above. Tried Fibre Freaks cellulose and cotton bacon, settled on Koh Gen Do. Cooking SS mesh seems like too much work, but probably worth a try.

Come to think of it, Fibre Freaks' 02 is more like a dense pad than fluffy cotton. They may have products that would be easier to wrap around ceramic coils.

Deleted Member 1643,
Reactions: AnthoFranco

randomtoker

So many great posts lately! @Delirium_trigger nice recipes. I've been wondering about the Pure and how it behaves / tastes.

So I tried the @Filhote recipe. Almost worked for me, but not quite. I used the same peg/pg/vg ratio, mixed minimum 20 minutes at 60C, added around 1% everclear. It made a milky suspension but oil globules would begin to separate overnight. I could taste the alcohol really strong, and it felt like it made the skin in my mouth and tounge numbish. I let it steep a couple days and remixed, but it still had ~30% separation (the shatter was pretty oily to begin with though).

Tired of the green milky, poor tasting glop, I decided to go freestyle. I added more PEG to try to break down the oily extract. Then I switched to PG instead to try to avoid the PEG taste. I put the glass container in the sun for 90 minutes or so also (qwet/qwiso threads often mention this to dissipate remaining chlorophyll?). I let it steep for a couple of days, mixing regularly with the high velocity mixer. It became a more clear and amber solution.

It still tasted like alcohol though. I had intentionally used only 1/3 the amount of extra added terpenes because I was worried about the combined taste. So, I dropped another gram of the same OG shatter in the bottle with 7 more parts PG hoping to tone down the alcohol and terp flavor. Heated, mixed, sunned again, steeped for 2 more days.

20160602_073229_HDR.jpg

The reault is a beautiful, light amber, clear solution. I'm very happy with it and it tastes decent.

BUT, here's the thing. The ratio is probably around 20/50/30 (peg/pg/vg), maybe even more pg. By taste and viscosity, I think this is getting close to the ratios EJmix and all the others use (they probably use even less VG and more PEG). There's VG in the mix, but I don't really taste it or enjoy its texture with all the PG and PEG in there also.

Next time, I'm just mixing straight PG to compare flavor. Right now it tastes like it's not worth the bother. The first mix I did that had 50% VG was great but I haven't gotten any to mix as well since.

Top Bottom