Advanced E-cig users and oil/wax, how-to "one-hitter-quitter"

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
other notables... i have been playing around with a DT V3 and the extra donut/cups and have some pics to share. i was able to successfully mount a donut/cup in a Mesh Pro rda and it works well. the airflow comes in below the cup just like the V3. there are some positives to using third party rda with the donuts. but there is one big negative for the Mesh Pro rda using a donut... the cup and donut mount nicely on top of the MPs clamps, but its far too close to the drip tip. makes for harsh hits. tasty as hell, but harsh.

7SIbpqY.jpg

AKXkZxQ.jpg

W8o6Sam.jpg

rJH7FKR.jpg

C154yaK.jpg

dOn4mui.jpg

i can say tho that im loving the swab clean after each dab. so far i feel like this is superior to a wire build in that regard. regards to flavor im still not sure, but its def good. also clamping the donut leads is much better imo. clamping them in bars does zero damage or shape changing to them. you could clamp them countless times and theyd still look brand new. clamps may extend the life of a donut that may otherwise fall victin to a broken lead.

Nice work there, 2clicks, with all the RDAs I imagine you possess, it figured it wouldn't be too long before you rig up something effective with those extra donuts that came with your DTV3 kit. Now you see the swabber's advantage, but I'd be interested to hear about your opinion on the overall flavor experience with the donuts, in either the default V3 housing, or your RDAs, and how it holds up over the long-term and day to day use vs. some of the metal coils you use. :hmm:

Funny how just around the same time, I happened to put a medium donut and cup into this new obelisk RDA that I picked up, and even though the post setup is quite different from your meshpro, the overall fit and look of the donut in the RDA appears similar

4I6Mtdg.jpg

With the big dual posts sticking up, going diagonal, criss-crossing the posts to position the cup/donut is the only way you can use this heater in this RDA and fit the sides and cap over it. No room for the 13mm donut here, sorry guys :shrug:

0zmcmld.jpg

Gotta bend this wires pretty sharp from right under the ceramic posts under the cup to route the leads into the posts, but it's mounted pretty steadily. The wires can take a good bending, just be more careful with the solders. The mesh type clamp posts could be easier to work with in this type of application it seems.

uv8PpgG.jpg

Outer metal housing slips around

nWBjG3J.jpg

And the top cap fits almost completely tight and flush with the cup, nice coincidence. The only problem with fitment is that the ceramic cup is a little too tall, so if you put the cap and drip tip on and flush and push it down tight, the top cap will come loose. So I just run this RDA with a slight gap on the bottom, one and a half o-rings of the two on the base contacting the metal sleeve, so I can press the top cap and drip tip firmly on top.

N9ClV89.jpg

Not a good pic with the black RDA on the dark background, but maybe you can see that tiny gap in the top cap and bottom base I am left with.

L1Di4NC.jpg

Load it up

dS1inFn.jpg

Run it on my rig as usual

U6rWWJe.jpg

And after a single use, it swabs clean, and can continue to for many many loads if used with care.

So overall this setup worked pretty well, but after just 1 session, I can't say this is any better than the DTV3 atty. Feels about the same in vapor production and airflow, but I'd need to test more to be sure. I probably won't much with this donuts in this obelisk RDA, because I actually got this RDA to finally try out some of those inception coils that I've been watching @Accept build for some time now. I want to try some of those out to compare the experience to donuts, but I just couldn't wait to test out this RDA to get a feel for the draw and airflow....:science:

Hey @blimeydude, if you're really sold on trying out the heated-cup concept for dabbing off, you should really check out the new "quartz quest" from Divine Tribe. It has a small quartz crucible cup that is heated, but not by wires wrapped around it, but rather from 2 ceramic rods, which are positioned in 2 tunnels directly underneath the ceramic cup. The rods heat the quartz cup fairly evenly, and there is no need to wrap / heat the sides of the cup. It also has a glass mouthpiece with a directional airflow tube that shoots air directly into the middle of the cup. Besides the issue of wrapping a cup with wire and difficulty in heating / mounting it in a generic RDA, the QQ solves the problem of a lack of targeted airflow into the cup with a generic RDA with this glass mouthpiece, which is also key to make this concept work.

EVfCXEb.jpg

I think DT has the best implementation of a heated-cup atomizer with the new QQ, (and there's a few out there) but it's still far from perfect, and many of the inherent drawbacks of heating a quartz cup that were mentioned still occur here.

It's not super quick to warm up; with moderate power loads, it still takes 20-30 seconds until peak vapor production, even with the ceramic rods radiating much more heat to the cup than most metal wire setups can.

Since it takes a while to heat up and it holds that heat after letting up off the power, it's not good for "quick hits" or sneaky hits, or taking multiple hits off the same load at different times. It's basically you load it up, you heat it, take as many hits as you care to in a single session / sitting, then swab the cup clean to have a clean surface for the next time, for the best flavor.

It would be poor practice with any cup-type atty that is indirectly heated to heat it, take a puff, and let it cool to take more puffs later on that same bowl. The rest of your load that isn't vaped in the first hit is still going to cook and degrade turn into gunk if you don't finish it off on the first heating/cooling cycle. It will be quite gross and undesirable if you load, heat, hit, let cool, and come back to it several minutes later on a the same load.

For that kind of quick, sneaky, type of vaping for rapid surreptitious hits that can be repeated several times from a single small load, I think the DTV3 and similar donut based attys are ideal for that type of vaping you're looking at.

You can slightly over-load it, the V3 donuts can take about 50-80mg max without leaking down if you use it properly, and get many repeated hits on a single load when out'n' about. The first couple hits or so can be very tasty, and the following hits of the reclaim aren't necessarily bad if you keep the heat low and if you keep the donut saturated using a small toothpick or dab tool.

Since the donut cools down almost as fast as it heats up, that leftover oil on the cup and donut that isn't all vaped up in the previous hit can remain quite tasty and appetizing for quick hits later in the day.

This is how I use my evic basic with a 10mm donut on the V3, for my "lunch break" vape. I keep it loaded with a fresh 40-50mg at the start of the day, and that's plenty enough for a nice session of several puffs in the afternoon until I get home later to clean, reload, and use other vapes. Reloading on the road is not that hard either, but I just want to keep my lunch-vape kit as light as possible, and I don't want to have a small container of shatter for a reload getting all sticky and melted from being hot in my jacket pocket :shrug:So a single fresh load on the V3 is perfect for that limited vape need for me in that context

Last edited:

2clicker

Observer
Nice work there, 2clicks, with all the RDAs I imagine you possess, it figured it wouldn't be too long before you rig up something effective with those extra donuts that came with your DTV3 kit. Now you see the swabber's advantage, but I'd be interested to hear about your opinion on the overall flavor experience with the donuts, in either the default V3 housing, or your RDAs, and how it holds up over the long-term and day to day use vs. some of the metal coils you use. :hmm:

Funny how just around the same time, I happened to put a medium donut and cup into this new obelisk RDA that I picked up, and even though the post setup is quite different from your meshpro, the overall fit and look of the donut in the RDA appears similar

4I6Mtdg.jpg

With the big dual posts sticking up, going diagonal, criss-crossing the posts to position the cup/donut is the only way you can use this heater in this RDA and fit the sides and cap over it. No room for the 13mm donut here, sorry guys :shrug:

0zmcmld.jpg

Gotta bend this wires pretty sharp from right under the ceramic posts under the cup to route the leads into the posts, but it's mounted pretty steadily. The wires can take a good bending, just be more careful with the solders. The mesh type clamp posts could be easier to work with in this type of application it seems.

uv8PpgG.jpg

nWBjG3J.jpg

And the top cap fits almost completely tight and flush with the cup, nice coincidence. The only problem with fitment is that the ceramic cup is a little too tall, so if you put the cap and drip tip on and flush and push it down tight, the top cap will come loose. So I just run this RDA with a slight gap on the bottom, one and a half o-rings of the two on the base contacting the metal sleeve, so I can press the top cap and drip tip firmly on top.

N9ClV89.jpg

Not a good pic with the black RDA on the dark background, but maybe you can see that tiny gap in the top cap and bottom base I am left with.

L1Di4NC.jpg

Load it up

dS1inFn.jpg

U6rWWJe.jpg

And after a single use, it swabs clean, and can continue to for many many loads if used with care.

So overall this setup worked pretty well, but after just 1 session, I can't say this is any better than the DTV3 atty. Feels about the same in vapor production and airflow, but I'd need to test more to be sure. I probably won't much with this donuts in this obelisk RDA, because I actually got this RDA to finally try out some of those inception coils that I've been watching @Accept build for some time now. I want to try some of those out to compare the experience to donuts, but I just couldn't wait to test out this RDA to get a feel for the draw and airflow....:science:

Hey @blimeydude, if you're really sold on trying out the heated-cup concept for dabbing off, you should really check out the new "quartz quest" from Divine Tribe. It has a small quartz crucible cup that is heated, but not by wires wrapped around it, but rather from 2 ceramic rods, which are positioned in 2 tunnels directly underneath the ceramic cup. The rods heat the quartz cup fairly evenly, and there is no need to wrap / heat the sides of the cup. It also has a glass mouthpiece with a directional airflow tube that shoots air directly into the middle of the cup. Besides the issue of wrapping a cup with wire and difficulty in heating / mounting it in a generic RDA, the QQ solves the problem of a lack of targeted airflow into the cup with a generic RDA with this glass mouthpiece, which is also key to make this concept work.

EVfCXEb.jpg

I think DT has the best implementation of a heated-cup atomizer with the new QQ, (and there's a few out there) but it's still far from perfect, and many of the inherent drawbacks of heating a quartz cup that were mentioned still occur here.

It's not super quick to warm up; with moderate power loads, it still takes 20-30 seconds until peak vapor production, even with the ceramic rods radiating much more heat to the cup than most metal wire setups can.

Since it takes a while to heat up and it holds that heat after letting up off the power, it's not good for "quick hits" or sneaky hits, or taking multiple hits off the same load at different times. It's basically you load it up, you heat it, take as many hits as you care to in a single session / sitting, then swab the cup clean to have a clean surface for the next time, for the best flavor.

It would be poor practice with any cup-type atty that is indirectly heated to heat it, take a puff, and let it cool to take more puffs later on that same bowl. The rest of your load that isn't vaped in the first hit is still going to cook and degrade turn into gunk if you don't finish it off on the first heating/cooling cycle. It will be quite gross and undesirable if you load, heat, hit, let cool, and come back to it several minutes later on a the same load.

For that kind of quick, sneaky, type of vaping for rapid surreptitious hits that can be repeated several times from a single small load, I think the DTV3 and similar donut based attys are ideal for that type of vaping you're looking at.

You can slightly over-load it, the V3 donuts can take about 50-80mg max without leaking down if you use it properly, and get many repeated hits on a single load when out'n' about. The first couple hits or so can be very tasty, and the following hits of the reclaim aren't necessarily bad if you keep the heat low and if you keep the donut saturated using a small toothpick or dab tool.

Since the donut cools down almost as fast as it heats up, that leftover oil on the cup and donut that isn't all vaped up in the previous hit can remain quite tasty and appetizing for quick hits later in the day.

This is how I use my evic basic with a 10mm donut on the V3, for my "lunch break" vape. I keep it loaded with a fresh 40-50mg at the start of the day, and that's plenty enough for a nice session of several puffs in the afternoon until I get home later to clean, reload, and use other vapes. Reloading on the road is not that hard either, but I just want to keep my lunch-vape kit as light as possible, and I don't want to have a small container of shatter for a reload getting all sticky and melted from being hot in my jacket pocket :shrug:So a single fresh load on the V3 is perfect for that limited vape need for me in that context

flavor from the donuts is very good. how it compares to a properly TCd 316L build...? IMO Id say its no better except for the swabbing aspect. this cannot be done with a wire build. wire builds slowly gunk and after so long that gunk starts to affect the flavor. so the donuts are more low maintenance and im really enjoying that. also no chance for metal taste from the coil being over heated, BUT the ceramic does have its own taste. and its def muddying the oils flavor. its minimal though and im still getting great flavor so im sure ill get used to it.

i was able to clean my Vandy Vape Mesh RDA and mounted that same donut that i had in the Mesh Pro and it sits almost flat on the deck. those little lead nipples keeping it from being flush with deck. this produces a better result as opposed to the Mesh Pro. not harsh.

i like this set up because the atty doesnt have the negatives i see in the V3 atty. with the V3... that top cap is just too large of a bore. lip gunk sticks to the ceramic like crazy and thats gross. when i remove and replace the top cap the inside of the cap rubs against the smooth finish on the lip of the bottom portion. and it removes the finish and gives me that “fingernails on a chalkboard” feeling. finally because the donut/cup fits so snuggly in the V3 housing i feel that adds unecessary heat causing the atty to get hot quickly.

when running the donut in another atty i can use a smaller bore drip tip that doesnt collect lip gunk. i get better flavor from the smaller bore. there is no ceramic on cermaic rubbing. and the atty stays far cooler than the V3. id still like to find an atty that will keep the donut even further away from the drip tip, but until then the Mesh rda and V3 are my attys for donuts. i keep the V3 at home.

would also like to see DT sell the donut/cup combos seperately. i prefer the 13mm and just want to purchase those. unfortunately they are only sold as a set with one 10mm and one 13mm donut.

so what are all the options for cleaning these donuts? can they be soaked in ISO or ethanol? or does that compromise the solder? i think torching them would melt the solder no...? what wattage are guys dry burning the donuts at? if at all.

I might have something I can send your way if you want them. I know I have a couple smaller ceramic cups. I might have an extra quartz cup also. I will take a look and let you know.

def interested. thanks for the heads up.

2clicker

Observer
pics of the large DT donut mounted in the VV Mesh rda. as you can see it fits very well in it. the air flow hits the side of the cup for the most part, but it hasnt resulted in any less performance. so i assume its making its way under the cup as well. really enjoying this setup. love the clamps. the only thing better than clamps for these leads would be a collet style post. and there is an rda that has a two post collet setup that cant be far from almost perfect in regard to the length from lead to lead on the large donut.

n8XePSd.jpg

HP8hX3N.jpg

J4JSEQB.jpg

mixchu69

pics of the large DT donut mounted in the VV Mesh rda. as you can see it fits very well in it. the air flow hits the side of the cup for the most part, but it hasnt resulted in any less performance. so i assume its making its way under the cup as well. really enjoying this setup. love the clamps. the only thing better than clamps for these leads would be a collet style post. and there is an rda that has a two post collet setup that cant be far from almost perfect in regard to the length from lead to lead on the large donut.

n8XePSd.jpg

HP8hX3N.jpg

J4JSEQB.jpg
impressed....looks really clean too

mixchu69,
Reactions: Vapology

2clicker

Observer
impressed....looks really clean too

if you meant the cleanliness of the donut itself thats because i used a new one for pic purposes. if you meant the fitment then yeah it looks almost like it belongs in there. i can say tho that since its basically resting on the “lead nipples” that when swabbing it does move a little. but its nothing really.

Vapology

Dabbing from coils is working great for me and with an inception coil it should be possible to get several hits from one load?! My builts just hold a tiny hit so I have to reload to get several hits. If I load to much at once it will get messy quick ...

Several fast and tasty hits from a small load during the day is what I’m looking for :nod:

Since the donut cools down almost as fast as it heats up, that leftover oil on the cup and donut that isn't all vaped up in the previous hit can remain quite tasty and appetizing for quick hits later in the day
Maybe the DTV3 fits my needs much better then the QQ does ...

This is how I use my evic basic with a 10mm donut on the V3, for my "lunch break" vape. I keep it loaded with a fresh 40-50mg at the start of the day, and that's plenty enough for a nice session of several puffs in the afternoon until I get home later to clean, reload, and use other vapes.
That’s what I want :clap:

Now you see the swabber's advantage, but I'd be interested to hear about your opinion on the overall flavor experience with the donuts, in either the default V3 housing, or your RDAs, and how it holds up over the long-term and day to day use vs. some of the metal coils you use. :hmm:
i was able to clean my Vandy Vape Mesh RDA and mounted that same donut that i had in the Mesh Pro and it sits almost flat on the deck. those little lead nipples keeping it from being flush with deck. this produces a better result as opposed to the Mesh Pro. not harsh.
Now I have to order a replacement cup and some donuts from Matt. It really looks like a perfect combination with the VVM. It’s cool to use the same atty for coils and donuts.

would also like to see DT sell the donut/cup combos seperately. i prefer the 13mm and just want to purchase those. unfortunately they are only sold as a set with one 10mm and one 13mm donut.
On the website it says:
You can have a mix or all of 1 kind just leave me a note on checkout of what you want.

@2clicker So you would recommend the 13mm donuts over the 10mm?

Last edited:

blimeydude

4I6Mtdg.jpg

0zmcmld.jpg

uv8PpgG.jpg

nWBjG3J.jpg

N9ClV89.jpg

L1Di4NC.jpg

Load it up

dS1inFn.jpg

U6rWWJe.jpg

EVfCXEb.jpg

My question would be how much are each of the heater elements quartz vs ceramic donut? And how long does each last with proper maintenance?

Is that top air flow really that much better in the QQ?

I like the idea of a bowl setup for sneaky hits and another bowl for chilling and sharing. My only question is with the vv mesh with just a single mesh screen I can get sneaky hits. Reclaim goes everywhere but I can do it, is the advantage of using the dvt3 donut and cup that is cleaner and better tasting?

Deleted Member 1643

Have either of you two using the ceramic donut and cup use a liquid pad like this

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vaporgenie-liquid-pad.19141/

????

Was curious if you found the right size, put it on top of the donut, maybe wrap mesh around the entire thing to prevent from moving, and load it up whether you could get multiple hits out of it?

The pad is essentially a wick. For their Alpha Centauri rebuildable ceramic donut atty, W9Tech sells a black ceramic donut (FC2000?) wick to lay atop the heating element. Also, their Hercules is a titanium mesh cylinder that surrounds a ceramic rod heating element. Don't use either of these much, but you might look into them. A few decent, but flavorless hits isn't a priority.

Deleted Member 1643,
Reactions: Tranquility

Vape Donkey 650

flavor from the donuts is very good. how it compares to a properly TCd 316L build...? IMO Id say its no better except for the swabbing aspect. this cannot be done with a wire build. wire builds slowly gunk and after so long that gunk starts to affect the flavor. so the donuts are more low maintenance and im really enjoying that. also no chance for metal taste from the coil being over heated, BUT the ceramic does have its own taste. and its def muddying the oils flavor. its minimal though and im still getting great flavor so im sure ill get used to it.

when running the donut in another atty i can use a smaller bore drip tip that doesnt collect lip gunk. i get better flavor from the smaller bore. there is no ceramic on cermaic rubbing. and the atty stays far cooler than the V3. id still like to find an atty that will keep the donut even further away from the drip tip, but until then the Mesh rda and V3 are my attys for donuts. i keep the V3 at home.

Cool, nice to see you enjoying those donuts. For you, the main taste advantage is in being able to swab clean after a session to maintain a clean dabbing surface, which is achieved more easily and casually than burning off / changing metal coils?

Funny that you still notice a ceramic taste, I must be immune to that taste by now or less sensitive to it. At least it's not bothering you. I'll have to compare that to the potential metal flavor I might notice with these inception coils that @Accept sent me (which I could be testing / using right now instead of writing this :D)

Funny that you find the default DTV3 ceramic atty gets hot? I never really have that issue with the ceramic housing, even with an extended session, it gets warm but not overly hot. It usually doesn't make the mod / cpu get very hot either. :shrug: Since you mentioned that, I was noticing my lunchtime dab snack last week with my little evic basic, the V3 housing seemed to get a little hotter than usual, warm to the touch after a few sporadic puffs with minutes between; cpu got up to 103*F but that's not so bad. Some hot february days out here but maybe I was overthinking it? Could also be my little evic basic mod having to work harder with the small battery. At least you can keep it cool and better ventilated with those RDAs :tup:

As for the lip stuff, I have that problem with MPs of all materials. Drip tips that are metal, ceramic, plastic, carbon fiber, the plastic MP on my S&B vapes, all my glass pieces get crap from my lips on em! I think I just have chronically dry, chapped, flaky lips. Might be from all that vaping :hmm: :D

so what are all the options for cleaning these donuts? can they be soaked in ISO or ethanol? or does that compromise the solder? i think torching them would melt the solder no...? what wattage are guys dry burning the donuts at? if at all.

Like Vapology said, you can request the replacement donut/cups in all one size or a certain mix that you want

To clean the cups and donuts, and the ceramic housing / MP / metal base for the V3 also, you can soak in alcohol for hours or overnight and it's fine as long as you don't submerge any of the silicon parts long-term. The solder will be fine. On the donut, you probably will have a little baked-on crust that won't swab / soak off (that's why you're cleaning it) so you have to burn it clean to get it as clean as possible.

Watts mode, 10w for the 10mm, or 14-15w for the 13mm donuts. It will take a few cycles to get it glowing red, pulse the button a little as it glows to burn off all the crust. You can use a higher watts for a quicker burn, but much higher and you can risk burning out the donut. Other people like @OF like to torch the donuts (and use alligator clips to protect the wires/solder) but this seems more risky to me.

And for the ceramic cups too, they often have little stubborn waxy gunk globs stuck to the posts and blocks inside the cup, which can be very tough to simply soak/rinse out. So holding the cup with ceramic tweezers while you torch it clean is the easiest way to restore a gunky cup too.

So the reasonable, day-to-day maintenance of a V3 donut for a fairly clean dabbing surface for good flavor is one of the strengths, but after much use, you gotta fully break it down for a soak & burn to clean what repeated swabbing cannot. After about a gram or so, dozens of reloads, you can expect it to look something like this.

cYA6mAA.jpg

Pretty clean besides that little dark crust, right? That crust affects flavor minimally to me, but it eventually grows as you continue to feed it, so it's just one of those periodic chores one must do.

PoyNnCE.jpg

After so many loads, a little oil seepage by gravity is inevitable, but it's manageable. Don't overload your donut and cup, don't tilt it too much during use, and after releasing the button during a puff, continue puffing for a mere 2 seconds to keep the air holes open and cool down the rest of the oil. (no need for ridiculous 20-30 second cool down puffs)

Mere traces of reclaim dribbled down the wire leads to the posts. It wasn't affecting the measured coil resistance.

2AnljOB.jpg

The uglier underside that we normally don't see, which we can't swab. :( Not that bad IMO, considering all the use. A few tiny, fuzzy fibers from rolled paper towel swabs are visible stuck to the donut :p

And this medium size cup, with just swabbing in this pic. (no soak yet) It actually came pretty clean just from a long isopropyl soak, after this pic. The little waxy bits came off in whole chunks when prodded with a toothpick after the soak, so there was no need to torch that time, but usually I must torch to get all the reclaim out of those nooks & crannies.

the only thing better than clamps for these leads would be a collet style post. and there is an rda that has a two post collet setup that cant be far from almost perfect in regard to the length from lead to lead on the large donut.

The posts for the wires is one of the weak spots on the DTV3, the holes for the screw to clamp the wire lead are too big, allowing for too much squish that can deform / break the wire on the donut. I alleviate this issue by cutting 2-3 tiny strands of wire to insert into each post along with the wires from the donut to make the donut lead more snug and spread the clamp load of the screw more evenly, allowing you to torque the screw super tight and not crush the wire.

Not having the little "nipple" sized just right for the little ceramic posts that are under the cups on your RDA posts is one tiny disadvantage, but the better options for clamping a wire should make up for it in many RDAs vs the DTV3. I had to look up what a collet is, but that seems like an ideal way to secure contact with the relatively thin leads on the donuts. I'd like to see that collect RDA you speak of....:sherlock:

Last edited:

Vape Donkey 650

Damn long ass posts.... :rolleyes:

My question would be how much are each of the heater elements quartz vs ceramic donut? And how long does each last with proper maintenance?

Is that top air flow really that much better in the QQ?

I like the idea of a bowl setup for sneaky hits and another bowl for chilling and sharing. My only question is with the vv mesh with just a single mesh screen I can get sneaky hits. Reclaim goes everywhere but I can do it, is the advantage of using the dvt3 donut and cup that is cleaner and better tasting?

Well the size of the heater elements on the QQ is smaller in area vs the donuts, I suppose, but the 2 ceramic rods on the QQ are used to heat up the quartz cup / enclosure which holds them, and the cup is the surface that contacts your concentrate, not the rods. So if you are wondering which one has a larger dabbing surface, the 13mm donut is a much bigger surface, the 10mm lesser but still bigger than the quartz cup (~9mm ID?) But the donuts have holes in the middle and the ceramic cups that hold them don't get hot enough to vape your oils, they only help hold the donut. The quartz cup has no hole in the middle or any place for oil to fall down / leak, and the walls also get heated too. But it is much slower to heat up and cool down vs the donuts, and oil can still spill over the walls if you overload it or puff on it too hard, or tilt it too much. The DTV3 and QQ are vastly different vapes in how you use them.

The ceramic donuts for the V3 can last forever it seems, if you take care of em. Reasonable watts level in TC, don't bend the wire too much to snap them off the solder, careful handling when rebuilding / cleaning, and a modest watt level to burn em clean, that's it. I have donuts going on 2 years with that formula. The rods for the QQ should be able to last pretty long also, but they get worked harder, to higher temps & for longer periods than the donuts do, and the act of rebuilding the quartz cup & routing the wire leads is more intricate than rebuilding the V3 with the donut & cup, so breakage by user error is more prone with the QQ. I haven't had it very long yet, so the rods may last for a long time, but you can buy them cheaply and replace them easily also, so durability shouldn't be an issue with the heater on the QQ. (the glass mp, very fragile though!)

Top airflow on the QQ, I can't say it's "better" than the bottom airflow on the donut & cup on the V3 and similar attys. It's just a completely different airflow method, and with having a sealed cup, some sort of top air method seems necessary because shooting air at the bottom and side of a cup that has no hole would make most of the air just bypass the middle of the cup (where the concentrate sits) and minimize vapor production.

Someone has actually mounted the quartz cup and ceramic rods from the QQ in the VV mesh RDA and the glass MP just barely fits and clears the RDA, it was posted. Not a very stable fit, but it worked at least, so we should be on the watch for other RDAs that might work with the QQ parts, but it will still require fitting that glass cap.

For QQ vs donut-type attys, try to think that the QQ is more a "session" vape that takes at least 2-3 minutes to fully enjoy a session, which you should finish & clean all at once, and not as suitable for public use. While the V3 can function in a similar fashion, it can be tapped for quick, stealthy hits since the donuts heats up in 2 seconds, and you can get several puffs from one load and not necessarily finish it all at once if you don't want to.

Have either of you two using the ceramic donut and cup use a liquid pad like this

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vaporgenie-liquid-pad.19141/

????

Was curious if you found the right size, put it on top of the donut, maybe wrap mesh around the entire thing to prevent from moving, and load it up whether you could get multiple hits out of it?

For sure you can load a donut with mesh and get multiple hits.

@supershredderdan even made a DIY high capacity RDA using the ceramic DT herb atty to hold some mesh.

There are also those ceramic donut wicks that are porous and can hold a bunch of oil, but there's 2 main things I don't like about those vs. the alumina ceramic donuts

• those SiC donuts are porous, so you can't "swab them clean" with a q-tip or rolled paper towel and easily get them clean after each use the way the alumina donuts can. the wick donut is too porous and rough, not smooth.
  • the SiC donut is only a wick, not a heater, and you must wrap it with wire. That puts alot of your concentrate in contact with the hot wire element, which harms flavor, IMO. The alumina donuts are more of a heater than a wick and have short wires soldered to the donut, and the ceramic does nearly all the heating.
You can still take a SiC donut wick and lay it on top of an alumina donut for extra capacity but i'd rather just reload.

You must drive an automatic - reloading's a bitch, if you need to downshift suddenly. :lol: (Once knew a guy who could roll joints without slowing down.)

Ha, I do drive automatics, but that's more because I favor the torque multiplication and more reliable foot-brake launches that high-stall torque converters can offer, especially with bigger, high-lift camshafts that I like :o :evil: :science: Nothing wrong with having a third pedal, but that's more advantageous for the curvy, "accelerate & decelerate, then accelerate again" -type racing that I don't practice, so I'll stick with my ratchet shifters & centrifugally-spun hydraulic fluids to spin my driveshaft ;)

For "reloading on the road" I meant that more in the sense of having my donut atty swabbed, clean & empty and reloading it out in the open public with a little jar & dab tool that I bring with me. (not at home or a friend's house) Places like parks, benches, outdoor seating at restaurants & cafes, and inside the car also. But not when I'm actually driving. :o:uhoh: The whole motion of scooping a dab and plopping it inside that little ceramic tunnel, let alone trying to place it properly on the donut itself, when I'm driving a car, that would be pretty unsafe. Both my driving and loading performance would suffer. I've done it while stuck in halted traffic, but I don't attempt it while actually driving. Neither would I try to roll a J during driving, but I do piff that donut during driving! :cool::tup:

DA2jiJS.jpg

This is my little travel pack that I take to work, minus the silicon jar because I'm content with a single double-BB load for my typical lunch time dab break. But when I took this thing to vacation last year, I did put the reload jar in the pack also. My main difference now is I have the Ti toothpick / dab tool with it's own retractable threaded storage tube, instead of that metal pin with the metal case to hold the sticky-ickyness :uhoh:

XNIbARh.jpg

(repost)

And here's that Ti toothpick which is a great home / travel dab tool. I use it to scoop up oil from the cup to back on top of the donut. But when dabbing & driving, where do I put the tool? Can't put it laying down, dirt & lint will stick to the oily tip. For vehicles that still have a CD player, I find the padded fuzzy slot for those obsolete optical discs is a perfect crevice to hold that dab tool :D
pu92Piu.jpg

(not repost)

Last edited:

blimeydude

Put a super small dish between clamp points on VV mesh and then use mesh screen in a upside down W pattern with only the middle point of the W being sharp and the others rounded so only the sharp area heats up. Then, put this sharp crease in the cup and load up the cup. Cheap, easy, and possibly effective.

Anyone have a small enough dish to test out how the flavor would be?

blimeydude,

2clicker

Observer
@Vape Donkey 650 the collet post RDA is the Doode RDA by Squidoode. im not sure what the measurement is center to center, but see how the collet compresses all around the lead? this would be ideal for donuts i would think.

im getting much more familiar with the donuts and really enjoying them. but... issues TCing them again. on my DNA75 and both of my joyetech vtc mini and vtwo mini. the DNA device works great one moment and out of TC the next. the evic devices also have popped out of TC (all devices in recommended NI mode), but mostly keep asking me if the coil is new. i havent gone back into the DT thread to read all the V3 stuff when it rolled out, but surely im not the only one experiencing this. what i find odd is that we have been told to use the nickel setting, but there is no nickel in the donut. thats nichrome correct? anyway all three of my mods have issues with the donuts. why not use 316L inside thr donut and for the leads? then the 316 setting can be used which is easily the most reliable TC setting from my experience. i do like the donuts a lot though and even in wattage mode, because i know how to feather the fire button, i can still get great flavorful rips even when i pops out of TC. i sure would like to figure out why my mods have such issues with these though.

as for lip gunk and drip tips... teflon. fixed! here is a pic of how i am now running my V3. i was able to find some high temp tubing i had from previous projects and it works very well as an oring for the cap of an old rogue rda. it provides some top airflow, of which is actually pretty nice, and allows me to run any drip tip i want.

ftGEgoE.jpg

m5YyFP8.jpg

on a similar note i took the cup from the 10mm donut that came with my V3 and out of curiosity i wrapped it in wire with a sort of stovetop on the bottom. and while it didnt look very pretty... it fucking works damn well! i did two dabs out of it and they were flavorful and cloudy. took a sec to dial in the wattage and temp, but it works far better than i imagined. same taste as the donut. i wrapped the wire around something slighty smaller than the OD of the cup. then when i insert the cup into the wire it gripped the sides of the cup tight. keeping it against the cups surface. the stovetop on the bottom was carefully wrapped around the lead nipples. the nipples made it tough and i couldnt get the stovetop to make full contact with the bottom of the cup. but that didnt matter. it heated quickly and provided a great vape. one issue though, using these cups, is that you cannot swab it because of the inside of the cup and its raised sufaces. so im thinking about sourcing more ceramic cups that are just cups. like the SOURCEvapes cup. more to come on this.

@Accept have you experimented with your cups yet? also, how were tempering your wire to make it less springy? just heating before building?

@Vapology i am liking the 13mm donuts over the 10mm, but im new to them. i feel like the 13mm fits tighter in its cup and is a bit easier to swab. both work well though. i think its personal pref really. maybe the smaller donut provides a cooler vape which may be ideal in some attys...?

Last edited:

2clicker

Observer
You're right, it's a Source part. Got it on eBay.

Played around some more with a banger build on a top airflow RDA. Got pretty heavily medicated on a tiny dab after several pleasant draws.

V2iqQPq.jpg

Still, it may be an intrinsically flawed design. On the left is a dual stove-top, vertical coil build. On the right, a vertical coil with an extra couple of wraps on the bottom instead. Both worked and didn't notice an improvement with the dual coil build (which used too much power causing the battery to get hot). Both took some time to heat the cup initially. Can't get enough power to heat it quickly. The wire gets red hot, and it's in the air path, which can't be good, even with Sandvik SS316L. You also need to be careful to keep it vertical - a bent tip helps.

Source also sells a ceramic cup heating element (Terra 2) with encapsulated wires on the bottom and sides. That might be a better approach, especially if it heats quickly.

can you link me to where you found the replacement SOURCEvapes cups on ebay?

also to the SV cups with internal heater? the terra 2 is just a porous ceramic disc on top of a ceramic heater...?

2clicker,

Deleted Member 1643

@Accept have you experimented with your cups yet? also, how were tempering your wire to make it less springy? just heating before building?

The build in the above quote was made just as you describe. Didn't seem worth pursuing. For tempering, just connect the unwrapped wire in a loop to any RDA and crank it up. You can also torch it.

can you link me to where you found the replacement SOURCEvapes cups on ebay?

Never found replacement cups, just got a pack of atomizers and cannibalized. The seller is no longer registered.

also to the SV cups with internal heater? the terra 2 is just a porous ceramic disc on top of a ceramic heater...?

Yeah - wrong about these. There is no cup.

Deleted Member 1643,
Reactions: 2clicker

2clicker

Observer
The build in the above quote was made just as you describe. Didn't seem worth pursuing.

yeah i was surprised to see you mention that. i say that because of the success i had wrapping wire around a DT cup. obviously those are rather large and arent smooth in the bottom so swabbing is an issue, but done so with a closed bottom cup... i would think would work great.

you mentioned your wire getting red hot when attempting to vape from that cup. i did two dabs off of a DT cup and simply had the wire set in 316L mode, about 18 watts, at 430F and it worked pretty well. wire was nowhere near getting red hot.

i just dont see how different this is to the donuts or other manufacturers attempts at heating cups. that people are currently enjoying. the SOURCEvapes atty coils are just a cup sitting on top of a stovetop coil. and they work. sure SV may have other questionable materials in the air path. thats why i just want their cups. ceramic cup and 316L wire to heat it. i think its do-able and relatively easy to make happen.

2clicker,

Deleted Member 1643

you mentioned your wire getting red hot when attempting to vape from that cup. i did two dabs off of a DT cup and simply had the wire set in 316L mode, about 18 watts, at 430F and it worked pretty well. wire was nowhere near getting red hot.

i just dont see how different this is to the donuts or other manufacturers attempts at heating cups. that people are currently enjoying. the SOURCEvapes atty coils are just a cup sitting on top of a stovetop coil. and they work.

They don't work that well, IMO. We clearly have different goals. Low temp hits from ceramic donut attys don't do it for me. Hoped the above build would be more like an e-nail with dish or banger, but it didn't heat quickly enough, hence the high heat.

6vOWqrI.jpg

Got one of those coiling gizmos, above. Wrapped first exotic wire - clapception (claton wrapped around clapton). However, failed to wrap a clapception inception.:( Just too springy, even well-tempered. Same with core-less clapton (aka very long micro-coil). Need to get some thinner wire from KP.

Deleted Member 1643,

2clicker

Observer
They don't work that well, IMO. We clearly have different goals. Low temp hits from ceramic donut attys don't do it for me. Hoped the above build would be more like an e-nail with dish or banger, but it didn't heat quickly enough, hence the high heat.

6vOWqrI.jpg

Got one of those coiling gizmos, above. Wrapped first exotic wire - clapception (claton wrapped around clapton). However, failed to wrap a clapception inception.:( Just too springy, even well-tempered. Same with core-less clapton (aka very long micro-coil). Need to get some thinner wire from KP.

fair enough, but know that a low temp donut hit can choke you out if done right. just sayin.

Deleted Member 1643

fair enough, but know that a low temp donut hit can choke you out if done right. just sayin.

Absolutely, but without getting very high. The terpenes from the first hit of flavorful shatter from a ceramic donut are intense enough to produce coughing. Sometimes use a ceramic donut as a taster with a new batch of shatter.

The goal is to avoid choking, right? With inception coils on power mode, get phenomenal effects with no choking. Could aid absorption. This is touched upon in @Boden's Why is wasting vapor on YouTube reviews so popular? thread.

Been using power mode again with some barely vapable trim sap. Just tastes foul, otherwise fine. So, why not crank it up and minimize the pain?

Gotta prep for popcorn bud QWET. :p

Deleted Member 1643,
Top Bottom