ADHD Medications and the Doctor's Who Prescribe Them

sublimationpurist

formerly stephenking
Haha, yeah I was being sarcastic. The FDA has to be one of the funniest agencies around.
I'm not attempting to derail this into a vaccines discussion but just an example of FDAs craziness:
At the same time that the FDA is warning about the dangers of mercury in cosmetics, however, the agency simultaneously insists that mercury in dental fillings and vaccines for children is just fine. Compare the FDA's page on Thimerosal (mercury) in vaccines (http://www.fda.gov) to the one on mercury in cosmetics (http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm294849.htm), and you will see the agency's blatant hypocrisy in the matter.
"Exposure to mercury can have serious health consequences," said Charles Lee, M.D., a senior medical advisor at the FDA, concerning mercury in cosmetics. "It can damage the kidneys and the nervous system, and interfere with the development of the brain in unborn children and very young children."

sublimationpurist,
Reactions: Vicki

golantravize

professional metaphysician
I finally got seen by a doctor who can prescribe ADHD medications, and they said they cannot prescibe them if I am using marijuana at all.

Now, I understand the main reason is because they say the amount of stimulant needed would be possilbly high enough to cause heart palpitations, but I also believe that if it were another prescription medication they would not simply say, "sorry, we can't treat you," and would instead just work to increase the medication slowly and with all eyes wide open.

To say, "if you have ADHD, we will not treat you unless you are willing to give up the medications which work for you because they have not been peer-reviewed," seems criminal or at least without compassion.

I asked my doctor if they understood why I believe our standard of care is somewhat compromised by this, and she said if I wasn't comfortable with what she was saying she could transfer me to another doctor, but that they would probably also see it the same way.

Stupid pill pushers, I don't know why I had the idea that I could have an intelligent conversation about my rewards system or exercises to increase working memory, or CCBT for organizational and impulse control, they only push pills, like an slightly advanced plumber who's asked what parts will make a drain pipe, but no real knowledge of the system it fits into. MaYBE I could also say they have a lot of conditions they have to deal with, but when someone says they've been doing what they're doing for over ten years and has no concept of what new directions are being taken, then I see it as institutionalized discrimination, as if it merits no further investigation. This doctor's visit really laid bare the stupidity, the arrogance, the willingness to throw people under the bus for ideological differences, to save money off-of other people's pain.

Fuck them. I'm pissed. Had to buy fake pee to pass into the halls of medicine. Bastards. And with the promise by my doc of random drug tests. What am I, a little kid?

This is terrible!! I have multiple prescriptions for methylphenidate aka ritalin or concerta at varying dosages. I am a college student, and I told my doctor about my use (he was surprised to hear about a vaporizer) and he said there was no dangerous interactions. While he didn't recommend using them together, that doesn't mean you cant use them when you're not high.

golantravize,

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
I seriously urge you to find a new doctor. I recently had this discusion with my GP and I was honestly pretty scared to talk about it due to a bad experience with another doctor that drug tested me. He came out and said it was fine if I smoked weed, just no coke or meth. When he said that I knew I had a doctor for life (or as long as I live in the town he's practicing in). Now he didn't say I should be using mj, but he didn't discourage. Albiet I'm not adhd and my meds are for other reasons.

I'd ask him about what he has written in your records about it...

Top Bottom