Adding more ritual to vaporizing

CaptVapor

Good day, fellow vaporists. I'm writing to you on the 13th day of my t-break, had a conversation with a friend last night about our consumption habits over the past few years. We both have been vaporizing for a long time and we both have realized that our consumption has increased and we wanted to understand why that happened.

Finally, we arrived at a conclusion: vaporizing has taken all the ritual out of the marijuana experience. It used to be, you'd break up your herb and roll a joint and then enjoy it slowly. Combustion may be bad on the body but it has one unintended pro: since it destroys most of the THC you can actually take your time consuming the herb! Some infographic suggested that 88% of the cannabinoids is destroyed when combusting vs vaporizing that preserves 95% of cannabinoids, so I could estimate that a joint is equal to one bowl out of your vaporizer.

If part of the fun is inhaling vapor and passing a piece around, whether it be a joint or a Lil Bud/Mighty/Zion/etc, how do we vaporize and NOT over-consume while still feeling the ritual-ness of the act? I don't have any answers yet.

One strange thought: perhaps it would be nice to seek out less potent strains. Instead of the 28% strains that one can find in the recreational/medicinal world, what about engineering strains that are friendlier towards vaporizing? I don't know, it doesn't seem like a popular opinion, but tomorrow is my target date to end my break and I wanted to see if anyone else had thoughts on the matter.

vapirtoo

Wow weaker herb for a ritualized longer session.... with friends?! Could work and bring community back to the whole herb social evolution. If weaker and certified organic could be had then oh yeah! As long as the potent shit would still be readily available. T breaks..... what is sleep for? LOL

Nina

My experience is that vaporizing cannabis as opposed to combusting has made it into a much more involved and ritualised experience

In the old days it was much more straightforward
roll up a joint
spark it up
smoke it
end of story.

Now there are all these devices to research all the water tools various procedures and methods coming online to discuss with a community of people
Never used to do any of that!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Try an Arizer portable, they are kind of like an electronic joint. Very slow sessions if you want.

I think most peoples tolerance goes up because vaporizing is much more discrete than smoking. It allows one to get more sessions in per day which is the real cause of high tolerance.

EverythingsHazy

Good day, fellow vaporists. I'm writing to you on the 13th day of my t-break, had a conversation with a friend last night about our consumption habits over the past few years. We both have been vaporizing for a long time and we both have realized that our consumption has increased and we wanted to understand why that happened.

Finally, we arrived at a conclusion: vaporizing has taken all the ritual out of the marijuana experience. It used to be, you'd break up your herb and roll a joint and then enjoy it slowly. Combustion may be bad on the body but it has one unintended pro: since it destroys most of the THC you can actually take your time consuming the herb! Some infographic suggested that 88% of the cannabinoids is destroyed when combusting vs vaporizing that preserves 95% of cannabinoids, so I could estimate that a joint is equal to one bowl out of your vaporizer.

If part of the fun is inhaling vapor and passing a piece around, whether it be a joint or a Lil Bud/Mighty/Zion/etc, how do we vaporize and NOT over-consume while still feeling the ritual-ness of the act? I don't have any answers yet.

One strange thought: perhaps it would be nice to seek out less potent strains. Instead of the 28% strains that one can find in the recreational/medicinal world, what about engineering strains that are friendlier towards vaporizing? I don't know, it doesn't seem like a popular opinion, but tomorrow is my target date to end my break and I wanted to see if anyone else had thoughts on the matter.
1. Pour a glass of ice water.
2. Pop the screen out of the GonG, flame the screen quickly, and then toss them both into the ultrasonic cleaner.
3. Give the bong either quick hot water rinse, or an IPA wash (if it's been a while, salt and IPA).
4. Dry off everything.
5. Add cranberry extract drops to the bong water.
6. Load up the GonG with stored ground herb.
7. Put on some music or a podcast/interview video.
8. Chill.

Seems like a pretty nice ritual, to me.

As far as using less potent herb so you can take more hits, that's fine if it works for you. You can even mix in some fan/sugar leaves, to dilute your herb, without changing the flavor too much. It will also help keep your tolerance down.

There is a benefit to vaping lower amounts of high potency herb. You are using less plant material, and therefore, you are likely consuming smaller amounts of unwanted byproducts/particulate matter, and putting less stress on your respiratory system, in regards to irritation and staying clear.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
You consume more as your tolerance goes up. That's how all drugs work.

I know that I for one do not like to have to pull and pull on a vape for 5-10 minutes to get where I want to be. I prefer to take a couple thick milky hits and be on my way. If I could get it down to something I could take in one hit and be good, then I would.

And furthermore, I've never understood people who have to have others around to enjoy their cannabis.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Nowadays it seems to me, you can elevate oneself so many different ways, and still Fuck Combustion. Want it quick? Take a good hit of distillate. Want to savor the taste of the flower, start a bowl at 360 and slowly increase the temp over time. Let's face it: sometimes we're in a hurry. On the other hand, sometimes it's fun to stretch it out over a long span of time. There is no right way except the way you like it.

lazylathe

Almost there...
I feel that there is a ritual with my vaporizing and I actually enjoy it.
Sitting down at the vape station, cleaning the desk, some music on, decide on a vape, open the drawer and try and pick a strain, break it up and grind and empty onto glass tray, fill bowl with a pinch of herb, apply heat and take a delicious, milky hit!
3 hits like that does me for a good few hours. Smoking that much, around 0,15g, is almost impossible to roll and the effects would not be worth it...
When I order meds they sometimes send a pre-roll... That 1g pre-roll will last me over a week in my vapes but only 5 minutes and a lot of coughing...

I much prefer my vaping ritual to my old smoking habits!
Each to his own though.

darbarikanada

most people come to vaporizing after having combusted for a while - sometimes a long while.

tolerance builds over time if you use cannabis with any frequency.

in other words, for most people who vape the initial excitement of discovering the pleasures of cannabis probably coincided with combusting, and tolerance build-up probably correlates with vaporizing. maybe I'm assuming too much, but I imagine that 'ritual' feeling is somewhat akin to the excitement of discovering something new (and euphoric).

personally I wish vaping had been around when I was younger, for all the reasons people vape: flavor and less lung trauma. I suspect my love affair with cannabis (ritualistic?) would've been even better. who needs all that coughing?

if there's any truth to my 'theory', people who never combusted - i.e. started with vaporizing - should be having no trouble getting that 'pleasurable ritual' experience.

fwiw.

LabPong

Funny, for me.....vaping is too complicated and has way too many rituals.

It is the one thing I miss from combusting...... pull a bud out, finger grind, put in what ever....smoke....done in less than 5 mins.....

Vaping.....done in 15-30- mins per sesh. lol

And also all the paraphernalia needed for vaping.....too much. But.....I wont stop now.

Prophecy

I do not miss the combustion ritual and rolling joints, i have change my habit for me now it is a ritual to fill my vapcap, slide the cap off suck in the herb tamp it down a little and put back the cap on, ready in 10 seconds at this time i would never finished with rolling one.

hinglemccringleberry

I personally feel that concentrates represent the complete abscence of ritual and dehumanizing of consumption. Despite being superior from an engineering standpoint, it just loses the human feels when Im not interacting with the plant anymore.
Like you OP, Ive struggled with the tendency towards increased consumption over time and honestly the only things that really keep it in check for me are my obligations that I prefer/need to be sober for. If I didnt have those things to keep myself in check, I would probably be in a downward spiral of gradual overconsumption. That or I wouldnt be using at all because there'd be no money for it. Lol

Last edited:

bleak

Stoner Gear Peddler
Accessory Maker
Over the years my usage has also gone up and up, and sometimes I would vape out of habit/bordeom. Waking and baking every day just because I can. Vaping just to enjoy the flavor, or to make chores more interesting. My tolerance was through the roof, I could vape 24/7 and still manage my daily life. After vaping I sometimes felt guilty, which ruins the enjoyment of it.

With that kind of usage, I wasn't really getting stoned anymore. Came to the realization I was wasting the high, and that I'm better off using weed with a specific intention. The intention can be constructive (making art, doing a workout) or purely recreational (watching a movie, playing a game). Doesn't matter what, as long as its a specific intention.

Having an intention gives ritual to vaping. The ritual is getting everything ready (the vape, the activity, refreshments, music, clearing a space, getting comfortable etc), BEFORE inhaling a wisp of vapor. By the time I'm actually hitting the vape, I'm ready to go deep into the activity, and enjoy the full experience with no distractions.

With this kind of usage, the weed is like a vehicle to take me somewhere, and is more rewarding. It feels MUCH more ritualistic, giving proper respect to the herb, and the vape.

Hope this angle will help others find ritual in their vaping.

hans solo

Left coast Canada
My ritual bring out stash tray pick one of six or more strains grind said strain and load aroma tube heat solo ll insert heat sink inhale and enjoy!

hans solo,
Top Bottom