Adding moisture to dry bud b4 squish??

MinnBobber

Hi,
this week I hope to show someone a squish. Her bud is drier than the sweet zone 0f 62-65%.

How long does a small slice of lemon peel take to up the RH for a couple grams in a small jar?
A bud does not crumble when "gently squeezed" but it is clearly less than 62%. It does not have
the "rebound feel" of a properly moisturized bud.

It would be nice to get the popcorn flowers into better condition before the pressure builds :)

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I believe @invertedisdead has misted his buds with water right before pressing, and @biohacker has steamed his buds to introduce hydration. I would assume a humidifier would also work well to quickly introduce enough hyrdration for pressing.

I would assume a lemon peel would behave more like a boveda where the herb slowly hydrates from the outside in, instead of a much more concentrated coating of moisture on the outside of the buds, which seem to be enough for pressing.

Those are some alternative methods, I've not tried them, you know me I'm a humidipack fan, got enough of them now I give em away.

MinnBobber

It's a shame as her buds are much newer than anything I have, yet they are clearly too dry.
A waste of cannabis, or at let's say, not optimal cannabis when optimal is easy with Bovedas etc

MinnBobber,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

It's a shame as her buds are much newer than anything I have, yet they are clearly too dry.
A waste of cannabis, or at let's say, not optimal cannabis when optimal is easy with Bovedas etc

I would give the buds a couple days to rehydrate, rather than spray them with water. You could end up with a poor yield plus a gooey mess.

I've pressed dry buds for friends before and they did not get much back at all. Now days I tell folks about boveda packs and to make sure they're hydrated before pressing.

TomBstoned

I've rehydrated buds with a few drops of water, then sit it on top of a cable box, stereo receiver, in our gas oven that has a pilot light, it always warm inside. Rehydrated easily as it's more like steam. There's My 2 cents.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I believe @invertedisdead has misted his buds with water right before pressing, and @biohacker has steamed his buds to introduce hydration. I would assume a humidifier would also work well to quickly introduce enough hyrdration for pressing.

I would assume a lemon peel would behave more like a boveda where the herb slowly hydrates from the outside in, instead of a much more concentrated coating of moisture on the outside of the buds, which seem to be enough for pressing.

Those are some alternative methods, I've not tried them, you know me I'm a humidipack fan, got enough of them now I give em away.

Damn I forgot about misting the buds :D I did do that a bit back in the hair straightener days; seemed to help a little if I recall correctly, but I was a bit of a rosin caveman at that point so not sure exactly!

I read a tip a while back on ICmag about misting the lid of the jar, and that's what I normally do when I need to adjust the humidity. It's not instant but it works pretty quick!

TomBstoned

Damn I forgot about misting the buds :D I did do that a bit back in the hair straightener days; seemed to help a little if I recall correctly, but I was a bit of a rosin caveman at that point so not sure exactly!

I read a tip a while back on ICmag about misting the lid of the jar, and that's what I normally do when I need to adjust the humidity. It's not instant but it works pretty quick!
it sure would. And if you can set it somewhere, honestly, a gas oven with a pilot light that's always lit works wonders. it's not hot. The warmth helps the water to humidify the bud faster and more consistently.

Baron23

This is only an opinion, I have no facts to back it up, but it is my subjective experience that once flower is over dried, you can only add superficial moisture back in. By superficial, I mean that we aren't going to get the water back into the plant cells as it once was.

To me, its far better to do everything possible to get 60-62% humidity flower and keep it there.

This is not to say that re-hydrating isn't beneficial...its better than nothing...but you can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber and I don't think we can reasonably get moisture back through the cellulose cell walls which is where the water was originally.

Baron23

Wouldn't it mold if the moisture was superficial?
I suppose that depends on how humid your environment is and how long? I have put over dried flower from the first days of our state's MMJ program (the bud was awful but it was first harvest, in the dead of a dry winter, and was so dry it ground into dust) in mason jars with Boveda 62%.

It did make the buds a bit softer but I found when grinding it really wasn't like flower that was kept at 62%. It still went pretty dusty.

So, dunno. I do have some N Cali sun grown flower left that's been in mason jar with 62% Boveda for over a year with no signs of mold at all.

Last edited:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Stay below 70% RH to avoid mold. Obviously spores are everywhere so environment doesn't necessarily matter as much as a) the air not being circulated (i.e. inside a sealed jar) b) mold loving temperatures and c) humidity level.

I always suggest to stay below 65% no matter what, there's no reason to jar buds until they hit that point.

Get a hygrometer, you'll appreciate it especially when you realize your buds could be too wet!

DrRishi

I find that a piece of lettuce leaf in the jar does the job in about 12 hours. I once accidentally left a piece in a jar for a couple of days and everything got mouldy.

MegaMan2k

I feel that whenever i "rehydrate" its just not the same as actually using flower that was properly dried at 60%
Like the trichome heads "harden" in a way,

Last time i rehydrated some flower that was very dry it took 8-9 days before the most dense buds were actually moist enough.

miguelovic

I use a large Rubbermaid and mist the lid, remisting as needed.

It isn't scientific and you have to know the feel of a 60-64%RH flower with your hand. Too much and you have a sloppy mess of rosin that will drive you mad trying to collect.

If this happens, collect on a cold surface, flatten as thin as possible between parchment, expose one side and place in an airtight container with desiccant packs. It will take 7-10 days to correct.

Better to let it dry a bit but there are always mistakes. None of these methods are ideal, merely a way to salvage a situation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom