Active airflow on the cheap, first attempt

Steveo42

Inspired by the use of fancy heat guns, I put this together, it is pretty good:
2rm2gxj.jpg

The heat gun is a Milwaukee precision hot tool, like 300 watts. $20 used on ebay.

It plugs into a socket controlled by a 500 watt dimmer, total cost for the box was ~$10 at lowes. It adds a lot of control, but heat up times are a few seconds longer when not at full power.

The pipe is a $3 corn cob with a narrow enough opening that the gun doesn't fall in the bowl and the deepest one on the rack. I bored out the stem and the tip, removed the filter, and installed a screen to suspend the material and make a little plenum area underneath it.

I used a candy thermometer to take some of the guesswork out of the dimmer setting, by putting it in the stream and messing with the dial, trying to approach 400f here. The resistance of the pipe will affect the temp so I keep a slight suction on it.

o7u0ar.jpg

Procedure, put a pinch of material in the bowl, turn on the gun for about 7 seconds if it hasn't been on in a while (otherwise 2-3 seconds is good), then in quick succession breathe out, turn it off, put it on the bowl and turn it on and start drawing. I usually draw at a good pace for 10-15 seconds, and will redraw the same bowl till i think I got it all.

Steveo42,
Reactions: treeman

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
welcome to the forums and i like your DIY spirit.

I would only caution you in finding out what the heating element is in this device as some heating element materials in these guns give off particles that you def don't want to inhale.

maybe you have and the point is moot, just an FYI

vaporonly,

Steveo42

well lesson learned, I decided to try dyking the motor lead, and it is a much less angry experience, still working on technique, and it needs an led or something so I know it is on, don't leave it on, but now it is like a plug-in electric lighter and I provide all the airflow (did I mention to hog out the pipe?).

Steveo42,

Steveo42

followup, I am using the same dimmer setting and pre-heat and draw times and it is working well, except now you don't have to shut it off before putting it on the bowl. I also taped up the vents to force the incoming air around the outside of the nozzle.

DO NOT LEAVE IT ON, except for preheat and when you are actually moving air through it. I left it on and the thermo device failed off. I took it apart and bypassed it so next time it might not look so pretty. This is a "bad boy" 120v vape, so don't be a bake head in it's operation!

Edit, with the cheap lowes dimmer and this heater, I set the dimmer to ~190 clockwise compass degrees from off, if you just want a starting point (probably on the hi side for many). Wiggle it around in the bowl as you draw, but keep it firmly on the bowl.

Last edited:
Steveo42,

Steveo42

I wound up using a small 300 watt dimmer from a halogen torchiere (the kind that cost less than the replacement bulbs), and a couple 300watt N/O momentary pushbuttons (one for preheat at full power, and one for the dimmed power) from ratshack, and with the fan removed there was enough room to fit it all in. so tap the preheat for 1/2 second to 2 seconds (if completely cold) then let off and hold the other button while you draw. It is much more idiot proof with it defaulting to the off state, but is minimal waiting to get up to temp.

Steveo42,
Top Bottom