1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

ABV - Warning to all Vaporist dog owners

Discussion in 'Vaporization Discussion' started by Troi, Sep 28, 2011.

1. WatTyler

WatTyler Revolting Peasant

I too have heard the story about the injected dog that just wouldn't die. But I read a page referencing research about this a few weeks ago where they did kill 'em. Just dug it up again. I haven't read the original, so I say make of it what you will. Seems there's slim chance of death from oral intake, but not impossible at upwards of 1 gram/kg. (that's one gram of D9 thc, so even fully decarbed it seems we're talking an awful lot of bud to be eaten). Still, stoned to death in any sense of the word can't be fun...

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/library/studies/nc/nc1e_2.htm

2. momofthegoons

momofthegoons vapor accessory addict

The problem, as I see it, isn't so much in medicinally dosing a dog (or animal), but in the accidental case of ingestion.

I would agree that there may be some validity in using mj, abv, or even tinctures in medicinally treating animals. But, it would have to be through a vet who was "on board" and could figure out the appropriate dosage. It works wonders for humans with cancer, etc., and I would think it could be beneficial for animals too. :2c:

t-dub and Vicki like this.
  3. Puffers

Puffers Micro-Climate Mastermind

Forgot to add my father puts his ABV into his dogs food after a session. For one dog he did this almost daily for over six months to ease the dogs suffering as it passed. His current dog who is younger also gets ABV in the dog food. In my dogs case when I believe he ate something to make him sick (that's a lab for ya :) ) he showed marked improvement. Again i am not condoning people feed their dog a stash of ABV, just sharing my perspective.

4. AGBeer

AGBeer Lost in Thought

Agree (and sorta) disagree as I have given my dog ABV (intentionally) before but WAY too much. (And he is still alive and kickin)

Here is the abbreviated version -
    -Hes a SMALL breed (Maltese)
    -I gave him too much (even for most adults now that I think about it)
    -He puked initially
    -He stayed lethargic/dizzy for 3 days

All throughout this time I had no worries of him passing. But damn if I didnt feel bad for him. :/

I havent given him ABV since then cause I feel like it was a rather traumatic experience for him and my dosage skills suck.

5. 6foot8guy

6foot8guy New Member

Sorry for the necro but I wanted to add that ABV is not meant for animals and add my story. Because I didn’t secure what little ABV I had, 4hrs later and a 500$ vet bill.. I almost killed my dog.

She’s a blue nose pit mutt.. 62lbs. Probably ate what used to be about 8-9 grams. Not a lot of ABV, mind you..

When I found her after coming home her face was spazzing out, blinking all weird, threw up, couldn’t stand up, lethargic.. Dangerous stuff..

To top it all off I only own a motorcycle.. So I had to carry her 5 blocks instead of waiting an hour for a taxi or Uber!!

AVB IS NOT FOR ANIMALS!

6. EverythingsHazy

EverythingsHazy Well-Known Member

I'm glad your dog survived. That must've been scary.
    While simple math can put certain things into perspective. you can't just do use it to decide which dose to use for humans vs dogs/cats, because different species process certain chemicals differently. Compared to humans, medium sized dogs can sometimes handle much higher doses of certain drugs (despite the mass difference), or much lower (even when accounting for the mass difference). Just look at chocolate. Even if the dose is proportionally similar to what a human consumes, a dog should still not be given chocolate.
    I'm glad your dog made it, too.

Squiby likes this.
  7. C No Ego

C No Ego Well-Known Member

as some of animals' senses are increased compared to mans so too will their endocannabinoid tone be affected more by cannabis. they have a micro tolerance

8. looney2nz

looney2nz Research Geek, Mad Scientist

curious if a dose of CBD would help pull these dosed pets back into normal.

So far it appears that CBD helps animals, THC not so much.

Evilevile likes this.
  9. C No Ego

C No Ego Well-Known Member

not sure on that cbd but- citicoline helps to stop THC effects and since thc effects animals like humans then it should stop thc effects... take 3 to 5 times more citicoline than the thc consumed... people take it daily in a few 1000 mgs so it is healthy ...

looney2nz likes this.
  10. little maggie

little maggie Well-Known Member

I have cbd capsules that were designed for dogs. I gave them to my girl when I first got her because she was in such bad psychological shape. Her vet had prescribed valium. She's a small dog for a pit (under 50 lbs).
    I haven't and wouldn't give her ABV. She leaves the room when I vape and I doubt she would eat her food if I added anything cannabis related to it.

looney2nz likes this.
  11. looney2nz

looney2nz Research Geek, Mad Scientist

how did she respond?

I've been trying to get a relative to try it on their dog who was abused by previous owner (big time PTSD, anxiety).

12. little maggie

little maggie Well-Known Member

It helped a little as did the valium. She has PTSD also but with PTSD symptoms can be over and under arousal and it's the former that get more attention. She was like a zombie except that if I walked out of the apartment even for a minute she'd cry. I couldn't leave her alone. Anyway, what really made the biggest difference was a 1 session therapy treatment called TAT (tatlife.com) I was trained in it and used it with people but I scheduled a 30 minute skype appointment with the woman who developed it. It wasn't immediate but within a few weeks my girl kind of woke up and developed a personality. She is a very happy girl now, loves people and dogs and cats and only reacts on rare occasions like when I'm sweeping.

C No Ego, Whisper and looney2nz like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors