ABV Tincture with Everclear 151 Proof

isuckatlyfe

I have about an ounce of abv and since I absolutely hate the taste, I wanted to make a tincture. Everywhere I read I see that people are taking a shot glass or 2, but I wanted to get it where only an eye drop or 2 on the tongue will do it. So I have everclear 151 and some cheesecloth, how exactly do I go about this? How much of the alcohol needs to be used to be on par with an oz? Thank you.

isuckatlyfe,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
The less the better I'd say, but enough so it's all suspended when you give it a stir. you can always reduce it down afterwards to try and concentrate it further.

I hate the taste of abv too, but making a tincture just made it even worse. Now after having tried to drink it ultra concentrated my body reacts even just to the smell sometimes and I retch. I have probably 15-20 ounces now of medium vaped avb, I'm just waiting for the inclination to act.

You might want to try looking into water curing if you want to reduce the taste. It's what I will be doing before making anything more with my avb, I think.

WatTyler,

isuckatlyfe

WatTyler said:
The less the better I'd say, but enough so it's all suspended when you give it a stir. you can always reduce it down afterwards to try and concentrate it further.

I hate the taste of abv too, but making a tincture just made it even worse. Now after having tried to drink it ultra concentrated my body reacts even just to the smell sometimes and I retch. I have probably 15-20 ounces now of medium vaped avb, I'm just waiting for the inclination to act.

You might want to try looking into water curing if you want to reduce the taste. It's what I will be doing before making anything more with my avb, I think.

How much of your abv tincture take to get high? Was it just a drop or 2 or more? I've read about water curing but the thing im worried about i also have a lot of vaped hash/keef thrown in with my abv and wouldnt it wash that away? I made abv peanut butter cookies with my last ounce of abv. Coffee ground and thrown in. I had to blend the cookies into smoothies. Was still vomit inducing. I just thought that a drop or two would taste bad bud it absorbs real quick. Can I put the bud in the cheesecloth and then soak it in water so i dont lose anything?

isuckatlyfe,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I make the tincture quite often but I then reduce it down on stove to almost nothing so I can stuff as much as possible into my hard candy recipe. The tincture just tastes so damn bad - I can't bring myself to just drink it YUCK!

If you want higher potency just reduce it down on stove like you would reduce a sauce. Course you want to keep some alcohol in there but reducing does increase potency.

I personally mix ABV tincture with golden dragon (made from soaking vape parts) and then reduce those down for my candy....gives a bit more oomph!

Good luck!

Lo,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
Lo said:
I make the tincture quite often but I then reduce it down on stove to almost nothing so I can stuff as much as possible into my hard candy recipe. The tincture just tastes so damn bad - I can't bring myself to just drink it YUCK!

If you want higher potency just reduce it down on stove like you would reduce a sauce. Course you want to keep some alcohol in there but reducing does increase potency.

I personally mix ABV tincture with golden dragon (made from soaking vape parts) and then reduce those down for my candy....gives a bit more oomph!

Good luck!

i've been planning on making my first tincture soon and you seem like the person to answer one of my glaring questions. are there any methods that you found effective to reduce/mask the nasty taste of the tincture? i was thinking about adding a drop of vanilla extract to my initial solution, ~5 fl. oz, and then reduce it down to roughly ~4 fl. oz. However, Vitolo suggested to stray away from "sweet" flavors and more towards "savory". any thoughts Lo? or anyone else who has had tincture experience?

I apologize if this is slightly off-track from what the OP intended.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

Lo

lol.. Nope, I tried masking/mixing - the taste is VERY hard to cover up and the alcohol is quite harsh. Plus if you try adding to a drink then you have to drink more nasty tasting stuff. I gave up trying to mask it.

The glycerin tincture I actually like the taste of though it's REALLY sweet - the herb flavor comes through but not in a nasty way. I have some friends that are HUGE fans of the glycerin tincture. The alcohol tincture I find best disguised into hard candy myself.

I think you down the alcohol tincture and then chase it with a shot of grape juice to get yuck out of your mouth is my best answer. Like doing a shot of tequila... like does anyone really like that taste?? ROFL!!

Lo,
Reactions: darkrom

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
@Lo,
thank you! i really appreciate the information especially coming from an experienced canna-chef as yourself lol. im glad you mentioned glycerin because thats what i was planning on using. its a bit hard to find information specifically about peoples experiences with glycerin. I was worried about the taste of abv being too strong and making it not enjoyable for my friends but this makes me feel much better about making my VG tinc :D

HighlyEducatedScholar,

isuckatlyfe

Tuck said:
There is a 20 page thread about everything you might want to know about abv tinctures found here:

http://fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1564

I've been through the entire thread. It just wasn't clear enough on a few things. I'm just going to evaporate as much alcohol that's necessary so I can dose the size of an eye drop or two. Better than border line puking from that abv brownie taste! :( Any more details on the glycerin? I've never heard of it.

isuckatlyfe,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
isuckatlyfe said:
How much of your abv tincture take to get high? Was it just a drop or 2 or more? I've read about water curing but the thing im worried about i also have a lot of vaped hash/keef thrown in with my abv and wouldnt it wash that away? I made abv peanut butter cookies with my last ounce of abv. Coffee ground and thrown in. I had to blend the cookies into smoothies. Was still vomit inducing. I just thought that a drop or two would taste bad bud it absorbs real quick. Can I put the bud in the cheesecloth and then soak it in water so i dont lose anything?
Sorry I missed this,

It only took a couple of dropper fulls- it was very concentrated and slightly thickened even. I had reduced it down from maybe ~400ml to <75ml, at a guess.

But as well a concentrating the 'goodies', it also concentrated the taste. It was much stronger, and hard to rinse from your mouth- maybe because the tincture has lost lots of alcohol and was oilier. I only used it a few times, and threw away the rest. It was bad. Like I said, it has had a long term affect on my body's reaction to the taste of AVB, and now even the smell can set me off gagging. This is long term 'damage' in my eyes. Be warned.

There's no way I would do this again or advise it without water curing first.

WatTyler,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
@isuckatlyfe
some people use vegetable glycerin(aka glycerol) to make their tinctures if they can not consume alcohol for medical reasons or just prefer not to intake alcohol which usually are the base for tinctures. Vegetable glycerin, VG, works very similarly as alcohol and can extract THC if the cannibis has been decarboxylated. However, the extraction rate is significantly less than that of pure grain alcohol and is harder to find than pure grain alcohol or bacardi 151. A VG tincture can be ingested sublingually meaning that you can place a dose underneath the tongue and will spread to the peripheries through that route. Also, another HUGE benefit that many may not realize with VG is that it has a low glycemic index. This means that it does not raise the body's blood sugar levels and can maintain the body in a catabolic state. If the body remains in a catabolic state, then it will more readily breakdown the substance. As opposed to VG, such as cannaoil/cannabutter, mixed into brownies will spike blood sugar levels and push the body into an anabolic state which means the body will favor synthesis and not so much breakdown. i know this is a bit lengthy but there is not much information on here about VG tinctures and i plan on posting a thorough step by step when i finally make mine.

HighlyEducatedScholar,
Reactions: aoaiwof

Lo

There is some VG tincture info around here somewhere but I think probably buried in one of the other threads.

I have made mine 2 different ways...both work well and I have friends that beg for it. I'll post some info when I get home later.

Lo,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Scholar, I look forward to hearing more from you regarding VG since I am investigating it myself for sublingual dosing. BadKittySmiles has great VG info but you will have to go over to her stickied thread at Grass City, in the edibles section, then find it (long thread, there is an index) so you can find the recipe midway through the thread. BadKittySmiles knows her shit and when I am ready to try VG her tutorial will be the first I consult. Her hash cap tutorial is the bomb.

t-dub

t-dub,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
thanks t-dub, i just dropped in over there and read up a little on what BadKittySmiles said but will definitely go back for a more thorough reading.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

isuckatlyfe

Well I have gone through with the tincture. What I am down to is quite a few ounces of very dark liquid. I tried a little as it is hoping that I'd have more without the need for evaporating the everclear. If I don't feel the effects I'll have no choice but to boil it off. What I was wondering though is if you can use the bud left over from the cheesecloth, to make other edibles possibly? I hate the taste but I can attempt to give it a shot if there's any point. I understand that probably every last bit of thc is probably stripped from it though. But hey, 10% is still something.

isuckatlyfe,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
I've heard of other FC members doing a second run for oil, butter and tinctures with decent results so it seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea. Might as well if you're up for it, can't see any harm done. Ill probably do it after I make my tincture just to make sure nothing is wasted.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

caseball2051

can always take it and throw it in the bag for next time. it wont hurt your next batch. it might not help it much though, either.

caseball2051,

Truefreak

Part Time Vaporist
t-dub said:
Scholar, I look forward to hearing more from you regarding VG since I am investigating it myself for sublingual dosing. BadKittySmiles has great VG info but you will have to go over to her stickied thread at Grass City, in the edibles section, then find it (long thread, there is an index) so you can find the recipe midway through the thread. BadKittySmiles knows her shit and when I am ready to try VG her tutorial will be the first I consult. Her hash cap tutorial is the bomb.

t-dub

For anyone tracking down that post...I'll save you some time. It is post #350 in the thread. Direct link. Though I do recommend that you read through the whole thread as it has tons of drool inducing recipes.

Truefreak,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Thanks for doing that Truefreak, its a fantastic thread. I have to admit that by the time I finished reading it I was exhausted but learned so much. I love the pics, they really help me. Its cool that she started to put some of that thread here but the project looks a little stalled atm.

t-dub

t-dub,

isuckatlyfe

Well the tincture is complete. Used a few thick layers of cheesecloth and squeezed it twice. I didn't remember the stovetop evap directions too well, so I just put the jar in a pot with water and made sure it wasn't ever at boiling temperature. Took longer but I had no cooking thermometer. Got it all evapped down to a tiny bit over an ounce of black liquid. Poured it in the bottle, had 1/3 dropper tube full and... nothing was felt. So I either did something wrong or I need more? Didn't some of you say you would have a whole shot glass? Maybe I just need to increase dosage. Tastes unimaginably bad but no where near as bad as a abv butter/oil recipe. A lot more bearable of a taste for me, no gagging haha.

isuckatlyfe,
Top Bottom