ABV Neutralisation - Is it possible?

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Hi,

I did my first cook with ABV at the weekend. I sieved 14g of ABV to a fine flour constituency, added to a Betty Crocker 'Fudge Brownie' mix and baked.

On the plus side :- The effect was awesome, I had some still hot brownie with vanilla ice-cream, 30 minutes later I was grinning like a Cheshire cat.

On the negative :- It tasted just like ABV smells - yuk!

So clearly old-school 'chuck it in and cook' doesn't work, because IMO ABV taste-wise sucks!

I see a lot of coconut oil recipes here, but I assume this would add a coconut flavour to what ever you use it in, which is fine if making a coconut cake, Thai curry etc..

So I was wondering, is there any process you can use to make a 'neutral' flavoured ABV cooking product, that could be added to anything without introducing either an ABV flavour or other masking flavour?

Cheers,
1DMF

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
I am by no means an expert and there are some very in depth guides here but I have made some very strong AVB budder using just a crock pot, half a block of unsalted butter and a cheese cloth.

1) bring the butter to the boil in the pot
2) mix in a tub of AVB
3) reduce heat to lowest setting and leave for 24 hours (stirring every now and again, not boiling!)
4) strain using the cheese cloth
5) chill (the butter, not you)

(there are variations to this ^^^^^ you can add water, re-strain ect)

It doesn't store for long so freeze it if you want to keep it for a few weeks.

In my experience the darker green the butter the stronger it is, you can bake whatever you like with it.

:)

Just go easy eating small amounts because you can OD very easily with edibles.

Good luck!!!

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
This was my fear. I googled a recipe for brownies (to see how much people recommend to use) and found one using a Betty Crocker mix, but created oil via a 2-6 hour process before adding to the mix.

I certainly didn't want to spend 6-8 hours yesterday baking a cake - it took me 60 minutes!

Even your step 3 has me sitting up for 24hours to 'stir now and again' - not to mention ensure the stove hasn't blown out and started gassing us to death in our sleep!

I think I might have to try a 'during the day' simmer, so I put it on the stove 1st thing Saturday, and strain before bed.

Though I guess leaving in oven overnight is an option as it's electric?

1DMF,

sickmanfraud

This was my fear. I googled a recipe for brownies (to see how much people recommend to use) and found one using a Betty Crocker mix, but created oil via a 2-6 hour process before adding to the mix.

I certainly didn't want to spend 6-8 hours yesterday baking a cake - it took me 60 minutes!

Even your step 3 has me sitting up for 24hours to 'stir now and again' - not to mention ensure the stove hasn't blown out and started gassing us to death in our sleep!

I think I might have to try a 'during the day' simmer, so I put it on the stove 1st thing Saturday, and strain before bed.

I save my AVB and use it in a tincture. The current batch was 80 grams made into an ethanol green dragon. I reduced the GD to 4 ounces and then did a solvent transfer to coconut oil.

I use this as a sleep aid 10 drops in a drink (usually decafe coffee) helps me fall asleep.

I make a tincture according to PsychadelicSam recipe over at GC.

I have made 2 batches of GD per month for almost 3 years. Making the tincture only takes a few minutes at a time, but it can stretch over a couple of days.

The thread is under Incredible Edible Herb then the thread is called Another Tincture Thread, try it you'll like it.

h3rbalist

lol use a slow cooker (crock pot) not your oven. You don't want it simmering as that reduces the overall effects. Slow cookers usually come with 3 heat settings. High, Med, Low. Get the butter hot on the high setting then leave for 24hrs on low. (if its simmering/bubbling/boiling it is too hot)

Stirring isn't essential, leaving for 24 hrs IS. imo.
And you are making butter, not a cake. You can use the butter to make a cake with after or the icing or whatever you fancy really.

Last edited:

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
I take it this process eliminates the flavour of the ABV being introduced into the oil / butter?

1DMF,

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
I think most of the bad taste of the ABV is removed when you filter the plant material back out and the coconut oil helps mask the remainder.

Another option I've read about (but takes even more time) is water curing the ABV

h3rbalist

I take it this process eliminates the flavour of the ABV being introduced into the oil / butter?

Not sure as I have never eaten ABV.

The budder I made smelt and tasted of cannabis ... Which was nice.

Your house will smell like a Turkish hashish factory though.

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Perhaps I need to make a desecated coconut ring cake :)

Such a shame ABV isn't tasty like fresh bud is, but I guess as all the Terpenes and Flavinoids go in the first couple of draws when vaped, the tastiness has gone with them :(

I read about the water curing, but I want to stay away from lengthy processing, I don't have the skills or patience for it, being dyspraxic, any type of cooking is a bit stressful as it is, so wanted something quick and easy.

I know, if it's worth doing and all that, but when you lack fine motor skills, intricate processes become huge obstacles, so I do my best to stay out of the kitchen where possible!

<-- can't be trusted with sharp knives or hot things!

I'm looking to spend a few hours wasted not down A&E :rip:

1DMF,

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
You could always grind it to powder, put it in capsules and take them with fatty food :shrug:

I keep thinking about attempting to use my AVB in peanut butter and nutella milkshake, but never seem to get around to trying it.

AVB has the weirdest smell...

h3rbalist

Perhaps I need to make a desecated coconut ring cake :)

Such a shame ABV isn't tasty like fresh bud is, but I guess as all the Terpenes and Flavinoids go in the first couple of draws when vaped, the tastiness has gone with them :(

I read about the water curing, but I want to stay away from lengthy processing, I don't have the skills or patience for it, being dyspraxic, any type of cooking is a bit stressful as it is, so wanted something quick and easy.

I know, if it's worth doing and all that, but when you lack fine motor skills, intricate processes become huge obstacles, so I do my best to stay out of the kitchen where possible!

<-- can't be trusted with sharp knives or hot things!

I'm looking to spend a few hours wasted not down A&E :rip:

Even ABV has untouched terps within.

The 24hr soak allows these to extract and infuse with the butter, this is why budder can be SOOOOO strong and super tasty.

My method of extraction is the simplist and easiest I have found.

h3rbalist,
Reactions: Pyr0

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
I haven't popped a pill to get high in many, many years ;)

Dunno why, but there's something really nice about eating a bit of hash cake with a cup of tea while watching a film.

Edit: I will try the budder method next time. Took me a couple of months to save up enough ABV for yesterday's brownies, so gonna be a little while before I go cooking again.

I've dished out a brownie to a few friends and await their feedback :leaf:

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I always eat avb in Betty crock fudge cake. First time didn't taste too great but now I really don't mind it. Maybe even like it. I like the simplicity of just making cake mix and chucking it in. And It does the job. For 24hr.
I hate coconut, so that's out of the question.
I may attempt to make some canabutter but I can't see that it will improve taste much.
Cannabis should not be in capsules I'm my opinion

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Try the ABV peanut butter chocolate chip milkshake with flour fine ABV. Just stick the ABV and peanut butter for 30 seconds in the microwave and give it a stir. Amounts of AbV varies depending on your tolerance. Start with low amounts the first time maybe a tablespoon for one person.

The peanut butter hides the smell and taste of the ABV and so does the chocolate chips.

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Try the ABV peanut butter chocolate chip milkshake
You must have a hell of a pair of lungs if you can suck chocolate chips through a straw!

Seriously though, I like the sound of using Peanut Butter, just not the milkshake!

Perhaps I could create my own reese's pieces ;)

Edit: I'm surprised the fudgeness in the brownie mix didn't hide the flavour more? Peanut Butter cookies sounds nice, I could then use the Canabutter idea with Peanut butter, plus add more peanuts...mmmm, yes, nice one Carol.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
The fudginess normally hides it for me. And if you eat them fresh from the oven it's even more disguised.
I am going to wash and blend my avb with 99.7 iso, leave it for 2 weeks. Then strain it, then eat or add to a drink and see what that's like.

kellya86,

Dragpo

1DMF…fill up a few 000 gel caps, swallow with a small amount of a liquid of your choice.
Ahh…perfect neutrality.

Dragpo,
Reactions: Pyr0

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
So far two friends have come back to me, one liked the taste the other didn't.

However, both got shit faced, so I know for sure I have the strength / amount of ABV right :)

One fell over leaning forward to turn the telly over, ended up on the floor, rolling about - very amusing!

The other spent the night throwing their partner around, don't worry that's in a good way as they are newly weds ;)

So all I now need to do is find a better tasting recipe :razz:

Last edited:

Ace of Space

I always use about half water, half coconut oil in the bain marie/crockpot method. That way, some of the water soluble material in your abv, will stay in the water, and it'll probably taste better.

If you don't like the taste of coconut oil in your product, use odorless coconut oil. Cheaper too.
I find that around 10 hours will do just as fine as 24 hours, i tried it both methods a couple of times, and it gives me the same effect. (i use bubble for my canna-coconut oil)

Sometimes i clean my vape parts and glass with iso when i'm making coconut oil, and just add that to the pot. The alcohol immediately starts boiling off, and in a few minutes it's gone, leaving the reclaim in the coconut oil.
You can do that with abv as well, just do a quick (or longer) wash, and i think you will end up with a cleaner tastier oil.

Last edited:

fft

This is a good question. I'm guessing the answer is that you can't get rid of the flavor, so the best strategy should be to get the maximum extraction then concentrate the tincure/oil down as much as possible. That way the nasty flavor gets diluted away when making edibles.

Adding sugar and salt helps with the bitter taste but doesn't eliminate it. My two go-to recipes are butter caramels (with butter obviously) and chocolate/nut/caramel bars made with coconut oil. Flavor isn't bad but I try to keep both as strong as possible so only a bite or two is necessary.

I also make capsules with coconut oil, which my friends seem to like the most because there is no flavor whatsoever and dosing is more consistent.

I've tried making tinctures with ABV but the flavor is so nasty I've chucked them out.

The bain marie water wash sounds interesting for ABV....anyone tried it?

fft,
Reactions: 1DMF

Nesta

I also make capsules with coconut oil, which my friends seem to like the most because there is no flavor whatsoever and dosing is more consistent.
@fft - How, exactly, do you make your ABV/coconut capsules?

And how many capsules do you usually consume?

Last edited:
Nesta,

fft

@Nesta I've been making my oil mostly with a sous vide method... here's a post on the Sous Vide ABV thread with photos of my process. I've also done a pressure cooker / mason jar method which works well but the sous vide is easier so I've been doing that more. I have one of those 00 capsule filling sets that I bought on Amazon.

I usually make a batch or two per year and each batch gives me a few hundred capsules, which get distributed to friends. One 00 capsule is light and pleasant but the head high definitely kicks in. Two I'd say is full dosage. Its amazes me how much is left to extract from the ABV... but as we are discussing here getting around the taste is an issue.

fft,
Reactions: Nesta
Top Bottom