ABV edible potency

thejonny2014

Hey guys. Sorry to ask something that's probably been covered plenty before, but I've read tons of conflicting viewpoints on this, and I don't want to have my own story of getting too high off an edible to tell. I'd rather play it safe then end up sorry :p

Anyways, I have a pretty low tolerance. 1/20th of a gram gets me to about an [8]. I do have a little bit of ABV saved up, though, and I want to try getting high off it.

Do you guys know how much someone with as low of a tolerance as I have should use? Also, do you get super baked off of ABV (in general), or is it more of a sleepy high?

I was thinking of making firecrackers btw. I just want to be able to make a tiny single dose for myself.

thejonny2014,
Reactions: NorVape

NorVape

Vape Rictim
My ABV capsules with lecithin and coconut oil are so weak that when I eat 1-3 I usually just use them for stress and muscle/pain relief or sleeping aids. I guess approx 100 grams of ABV turned to around 500 capsules.

If I eat 5-10 I might get a good buzz, but usually I end up vaping on top of that.

When I make capsules with un-vaped material one usually is plenty for me.

So yeah ABV edibles are pretty weak in my experience. Weak, but enjoyable :D

NorVape,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
ABV strength will be pretty dependant on how far you vaped it.

Weakly vaped, blonde ABV will still be fairly potent, thoroughly vaped dark brown ABV will be considerably less potent.

Edibles seem to have varying effects on people, so the only way to know how much to eat is gonna come down to experimentation - start with a small amount, and if it's not enough have a bit more 1-2 hours later.

Radio

stay true to yourselves
I jumped the gun and made an ABV coconut oil mixture last night..
It was an entire Satchmo JyAR worth of ABV (mostly light brown and green :) ) and I put about 2 cups of coconut oil and simmered for 5 hours on low heat. I poured the whole thing into a jar and it's a disgusting mixture of oil and cooked herbs.. Won't taste good but hopefully it'll serve some purpose when I decide to shovel it down the ol' gullet :p

Radio,

hoptimum

I jumped the gun and made an ABV coconut oil mixture last night..
It was an entire Satchmo JyAR worth of ABV (mostly light brown and green :) ) and I put about 2 cups of coconut oil and simmered for 5 hours on low heat. I poured the whole thing into a jar and it's a disgusting mixture of oil and cooked herbs.. Won't taste good but hopefully it'll serve some purpose when I decide to shovel it down the ol' gullet :p

Did you strain it?

Radio

stay true to yourselves
Did you strain it?
I considered it, but for a health-nut.. I am bit of a filthy eater.
I'll cook anything with anything.. and I've considered eating my ABV raw with a spoon on a few occasions. I left the ABV in the oil to make sure I ingest as much as I can. It was a good month of strains so I'm happy to swallow all the burmese kush, ak47, northernL and bubble gum.

most people are probably thinking.. this guy's crazy :mental:
and you're right. :cool:

hoptimum

I considered it, but for a health-nut.. I am bit of a filthy eater.
I'll cook anything with anything.. and I've considered eating my ABV raw with a spoon on a few occasions. I left the ABV in the oil to make sure I ingest as much as I can. It was a good month of strains so I'm happy to swallow all the burmese kush, ak47, northernL and bubble gum.

most people are probably thinking.. this guy's crazy :mental:
and you're right. :cool:

how are you planning to use it?

hoptimum,

Radio

stay true to yourselves
how are you planning to use it?
Mix it into a quick stir-fry.. Or

200_s.gif

Radio,
Reactions: Frosti

Radio

stay true to yourselves
Just looking at it is killing my appetite. Cheers. *clinks glass*

Radio,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
You can really get over medicated even with ABV, believe it or not. I've done it. If you have a low tolerance proceed with caution. :evil:Nothing is worse than to get over medicated. There is nothing to do about it except ride the wave of couch lock and it's not fun. Sometimes it can last 24 hours, no lie.

I've made peanut butter with ABV and chocolate chips with chocolate ice cream and milk to make a milkshake. I made mine too strong. You can boil (not too hot) warm milk and ABV with some Nestles Quick to make hot chocolate. You just need to strain the ABV that's in the milk. You cook the ABV and milk on low heat for an hour.

hoptimum

You can really get over medicated even with ABV, believe it or not. I've done it. If you have a low tolerance proceed with caution. :evil:Nothing is worse than to get over medicated. There is nothing to do about it except ride the wave of couch lock and it's not fun. Sometimes it can last 24 hours, no lie.

I've made peanut butter with ABV and chocolate chips with chocolate ice cream and milk to make a milkshake. I made mine too strong. You can boil (not too hot) warm milk and ABV with some Nestles Quick to make hot chocolate. You just need to strain the ABV that's in the milk. You cook the ABV and milk on low heat for an hour.

Too true. I made some chocolate medibles with abv coconut cannabis oil and nestles chocolate nibs. I ate a piece last night and was still buzzed most of today. Im thinking caps might be the best way to gradually dose.

thejonny2014

A bunch of great comments, but no one really gave any dosage suggestions with my low tolerance

thejonny2014,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Dosage is a very individual thing. Start very low. It depends on how strong the edible is, your tolerance and how much you've eaten prior to ingesting the cannabis. I think what @hoptimum just said is good advice.

You can crumble the ABV with your fingers to make the consistency fine.

Last edited:

NorVape

Vape Rictim
Yeah, start out low AND be patient. Don't up the dose after an hour if it hasn't kicked in. Also, try eating some form om fat rich meal with your firecracker.

bigtvapes

I've only cooked with ABV and I've done it for a few years now. I've never had enough fresh just laying around to drop a full ounce into a pot of butter. I've only done it with ABV. I experimented with throwing a tad of fresh in my butter but I found this practice a waste. ABV is generally pretty strong unless you vape the hell out of it until it's very dark brown. I don't claim to be an expert but I can share some tips and information I've learned from my experience:

-It can be great but there is a major issue: consistency. Different devices at different temps with different materials can lead to varying results every time you do it. Most vapers have multiple devices and mix up their sessions. So be mindful if this is you.

-When cooking butter, always opt low and slow over fast and hot. It's much harder to screw it up if you take your time.

-Cook in a well ventilated area. Cooking with herb can give off a strong odor. Cooking with ABV is even worse. Be aware of it.

-Follow a recipe of your choice for whatever you make but do so AS IS. Do not try to over compensate and say throw and ounce and a half in and when the recipe calls for an ounce. At least not your first time. Make the recipe as is. You honestly don't know how it's going to turn out. There are several factors at play here when it comes to the potency of your final product, so your safe bet is to follow your recipe as is until you have experience with it and feel comfortable adjusting. I found ABV to be pretty darn strong in it's own right.

When enjoying your final product:

-Start small. Take a small portion of whatever you're enjoying and give it a solid hour or two to kick in. Results can and will vary. Some people feel the effects within 15 minutes or so. Some people take an hour or even a bit more. For maximum potency an empty stomach is best. But i would very strongly recommend you not do that your first time. I would eat a little something and give it time to settle before your first edible. If you're not feeling anything 90-120 minutes in, try taking another smaller portion and see what that does. You don't want to do too much. People can lose their shit pretty quick on edibles if they do too much.

-Take body weight into account. This is important because edibles can be potent and almost too much so. I mean chances are you'll have a great time but I know someone VERY close to me who couldn't handle their shit when they first enjoyed edibles. If you are a 200 lbs man and eat a brownie and get pretty fuzzy off of it, it's a good chance that same brownie size will put your 145 lbs girlfriend into outer space. If you're a bigger dude you'll need more edibles.

NorVape

Vape Rictim
Regarding that empty stomach thing, In my experience it's quite the opposite. The more fat and fiber rich nutritious food I eat, the higher I get IME.

Seems to be two different schools there.

I get the best results on days where I've been eating nutritious food regularly through out the day, and then have some medibles with a meal rich with fat.

lwien

IN regards to ABV, I've found that it really doesn't have to be cooked or used with food with a high fat content, for that matter.

Regarding dosages, there's just way too many variables but to be safe, I'd start out with no more than 1 gram. I have a low tolerance and I vape my bud to a dark chocolate brown and 2gr. is fine for me.

MUCH better to under medicate than over medicate with edibles.

lwien,
Reactions: NorVape

puddleglum

ABV edibles are fun. :)

I've been doing some experiments lately, and here's my advice:

1. Make a big batch of canna-oil and use it over multiple recipes. This will help you get consistent results and adjust your dosage. For example, if I use 1/2 cup canna-oil in my cookies, and they turn out too strong, next time I will only use 1/4 cup from the same batch of oil and cut it with 1/4 cup virgin oil.

2. Strain or don't strain depending on your preference. I personally don't strain out the solids. I quite like the taste in cookies or brownies, it doesn't bother me at all. I find the flavor combines well with chocolate and/or nuts.

3. To make canna-oil with minimal odor, try this: Put the oil (I use coconut) and ground ABV in a sealed mason jar. Then, put the jar in a slow cooker (crock pot) filled with enough water to cover the jar above the oil level (but not completely submerge it). A day or two on low, and your oil will be amber-brown and potent. :)

4. Dosage is highly individual and dependent on the desired effect. (Are you just trying to reduce a little bit of nausea, or are you planning to turn out all the lights and listen to Pink Floyd?) I personally vary my dosage anywhere from 1g ABV per brownie (knocks me on my ass for 12 hours, no possibility of safely driving a car or interacting with authority figures) to 1g per tray (which works out to 1/16g per brownie, enough to help slightly with my medical symptoms, but I could still go to the bank or post office and function normally).

5. The effects of ABV can vary wildly, depending on the strain, your brand/model of vape, and how much you extract in the vaping process. Oh, and of course, the individual! Generally speaking, the vaping process releases a lot of THC, but many of the CBD's are left behind. I have a friend with some psych issues, and I give him some of my ABV to roll into his tobacco cigarettes (yeah yeah yeah, I know, but it's his choice). He loves it because he says it helps him relax without making him paranoid like green bud sometimes does to him. In general I think of ABV as having more of a "mellow couchlocked body buzz" and less "euphoric head rush" compared with the original herb.

6. I like to combine vaping and edibles at the same time. I think of the vape as the "treble" control, and the edibles as the "bass." So for example, if my brownies are kicking in and my energy is low, I'll vape to elevate my mood. Or, if it's coming near the end of the evening but my head is racing from the vape session, I might have another brownie to bring me down.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

Last edited:

prominentz

I'm actually making edibles right now, and I sometimes spliff my pax, do you think that the butter i made is still edible? Im just kind of worried about the tobacco...

prominentz,

ean

i usually use 14 gs of abv and 3 gs of buds for a batch of rice crispys.

ean,

hoptimum

I'm actually making edibles right now, and I sometimes spliff my pax, do you think that the butter i made is still edible? Im just kind of worried about the tobacco...
tobacco infused butter sounds really gross

hoptimum,

prominentz

^taste is not what im worried about, do you think that its still fine to bake with because of the tobacco

prominentz,
Top Bottom