ABV Cooking and Peanut Butter

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Ive read that the off the shelf shit isnt the best for making things like firecrackers and PB cookies. It has been suggested to use something like Nutella or something with a high fat content.

Is this SATURATED fat, or just fat in general that is the winner here? It seems that almost all of the commercial PBs had high fat contents ~15g per serving. Saturated fat was ~3g

Some of the other 'au naturel' had contents up to 18g and the almond and cashew butters had pretty high fat contents as well. But the saturated fats were pretty consistent at around the 3g.

What am I looking for when making my selection to use my ABV for cooking?
Thanks

AGBeer,

Kush Vapez

Well i have no experience with ABV edibles...

But however i can tell you i do have a lot of cooking exp with trim/sweet leaf from harvests.

You wanna use a natural peanut butter. It's the oil content that makes it better.. helps the thc absorb more. You will notice in a jif peanut butter/skippy/etc that its very solid. Natural peanut butter however is very loose in the container, and if scooped from and left in a pantry for a day or two some of the oil kinda separates and you have pools of oil ewww. Jif makes a natural peanut butter that i used to swear by. However I have stepped up to the more fatty/oily grocery store made pb that is in the deli of all places. You can tilt the container and watch the peanut butter move around.

Hope that helped bro. :peace:

Kush Vapez,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I guess it helps a bit, but I was looking for a more 'scientific' explanation as to which PB would be best. And would something like almond or cashew butter work (or even work better) as it seems like they have a higher fat content. -At least the jar says so :p

Thanks for the insight bud, I guess its just time to start experimenting.

AGBeer,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Search with the term 'coconut oil'... many swear by it over the peanut butter and I've read some here who also use it. I bought some organic coconut oil to try but....I'm still stuck on making tinctures over fatty edibles so, can't comment yet.

Lo,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I remember my BioChem professor in college saying Coconut oil is addictive. he didn't say it was bad for you, just mildly addictive. Once you get used to consuming it your body starts to crave it. He said, just like caffeine when you go a while without you can experience headaches if you are trying to cut it out of your diet.
He mentioned coconut oil addictive nature because of Hot Coco, it is one of the main ingredients in it. His explanation for it being in coco was to cause a mild addiction to the product so people would buy more.
for me eating coconut oil is the equivalent of eating some MSG, messes up my guts pretty bad, belching for hours on end.

DevoTheStrange,

Kush Vapez

I still think you wanna find the most oily "nut butter" out there whatever it may be. I have been using natural grocery made peanut butter for a year now with out of this world results. Making firecrackers, peanutbutter rice krispie treats, pb cookies, you name it.

Sorry I don't have a more scientific answer for you, but its all about the "oils"

Kush Vapez,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
no, if i were talking about cocoa i would have said cocoa. Cocoa is also addictive. But in this case I am referring to Coconut Oil. I am not confusing the two, nor can I see how I could confuse the two. Maybe I should not have used hot coco as my example. But if you look at any instant hot coco, you will notice one of the first several ingredients listed is hyrdonated Coconut oil.
Like I said before, I am not saying that Coconut oil being addictive is a bad thing, just mentioning I remember one of my professors mentioning its addictive nature. Just that, once you start consuming it your body may grow accustomed to it.
it was explained to me, when coconut oil is in food that it does not need to be in, it is to help keep customers coming back to the product.
Why do you think people keep going back to junk food that is processed? It isn't for the nutrition. It is for the cravings that we get. Well why do we crave crappy food that isn't good for us? What is in the crappy food that our body is craving and calls out for us to eat? Well if it isn't nutritional, it has to be something else.... possibly an addiction to one of the ingredients?
and its Devo with an O.

DevoTheStrange,

PerseusStoned

If anyone has a grasscity profile, would you please check out this dude's posts and let us know if he ever followed up on his questions in this thread? Additionally maybe a PM if he is still active to see what he deduced. AGBeer this is a very good question and I hope you find out and enlighten us all.

Unfortunately I have limited experience with edibles; I've only ever used canola oil which has worked excellently for me. Makes my eateries a bit oily, which means when I microwave them they get very hot to touch, but the THC packed is incredible.

PerseusStoned,

Hanibal Lectin

OK whatever Devo,legit typo in other post, but this coconut oil is addictive theory is just simply not true.I've intensively studied food and nutrition and I have never heard of anything remotely like that.If you could give some links or something....
There are many things in food,especially processed, that have addictive qualities but coconut oil is not one of them.

Hanibal Lectin,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I should have mentioned Hydrogenated when saying that. All that saturated fat gets turned into a trans fat. Trans fats mixed with sugars cause an imbalance in the levels of healthy fats in the diet. And whenever you get an imbalance, you normally will crave whatever causes that imbalance. Thus a Food addiction.
Coconut oil is not bad for you, unless it is hydrogenated.
My professor was commenting more on the hydrogenated nature than the actual Coconut.
I brought this up to him, and he said the only reason he used this example was it was the only thing that popped into his head to help explain using a combo of trans fats and sugars can be used create an addiction to a food product.
he also explained why coconut oil screws up my guts... it can kill some of the bacteria in your stomach, causing excess gas.

What I should have said was "avoid hydrogenated coconut oil, it is bad for you, and you may become addicted to whatever food it is in, thinking it is good for you. Especially in food products that combine it with High Fructose Corn Syrup."

DevoTheStrange,

Hanibal Lectin

Ok I mis-understood. Hydrogenated oils are all bad, I just wasn't aware that food processors did the same with coconut....it's been so long since I've had packaged food,many years,that's a good thing.
Extra virgin coconut oil is great for healthy cooking fat,will not oxidize, or raw.

Hanibal Lectin,
Top Bottom