ABV coconut oil strength concern

sativasam

NO SMOKING
Hi,

Apologises if this is in the wrong place.

I have just put half a cup of coconut oil + half a cup of powdered ABV together on the heat. Works out at approx 15 grams of ABV to less than 100g of oil.

This is my first ABV oil extraction. It's a tester really which is why I only used 15g of ABV when I had around 35. I found there was so many different opinions and variations that I got a bit overwhelmed and confused. So I just went for it using equal (ish) amounts. I don't have a crock pot so I improvised my own version. The heat of the oil hasn't pushed above 190c before leaving it for a few hours on the hob.

All of my AVB has been vaped below 200c. My question is this; could this small amount of oil be dangerously potent and should I be very cautious? I've been using a lot of hash brownies recently and I know how powerful a gram of that is for a whole batch. Do the amounts I've used seem unreasonable at all?

I was thinking I could just get some more coconut oil approx 600 grams, heat it up and throw in the oil that I've already made. Will this work?

Last edited:

sativasam

NO SMOKING
Now that the extractions complete I can see that I have more like 50g (1/4 of a jar) of coconut oil containing 15g of ABV extracted goodies. It's come out nicely green. Also the temp I stated above is wrong the temp was around 90c.

I know that the only way to know the strength is literally by testing it. I just got a bit alarmed when I thought that there was a half ounce in this tiny amount of oil and wondered on others experiences as I would prefer not to trip balls by accident.

I was considering using it as a lip salve if the strength was really strong; in the hope that small amounts would get me very lightly high. Is that even possible?

Last edited:
sativasam,
Reactions: kellya86

kellya86

Herb gardener...
What happened... is it strong???

What coconut oil did you buy???
Was it non hydrogenate????
Where did you buy it???
Don't you get purer oil from course avb???

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
Now that the extractions complete I can see that I have more like 50g (1/4 of a jar) of coconut oil containing 15g of ABV extracted goodies. It's come out nicely green. Also the temp I stated above is wrong the temp was around 90c.

I know that the only way to know the strength is literally by testing it. I just got a bit alarmed when I thought that there was a half ounce in this tiny amount of oil and wondered on others experiences as I would prefer not to trip balls by accident.

I was considering using it as a lip salve if the strength was really strong; in the hope that small amounts would get me very lightly high. Is that even possible?
Trial and error is the only way to get the dosing right. If you want to be scientific about it , you may want to get some empty capsules from a health food store and titrate your dosage using equally filled caps. It may take more than one. You could also use a dropper and take a few drops under the tongue. Be patient. It may take a couple hours to realize the potency. For it to be strong enough to get you even a little "high" just using as a salve, it would have to be ripping potent. I'm thinking 2-3 caps judging on your description of the ABV. Consider using some lecithin mixed in with the oil to help bind the THC to the oil and make it easier for the body to absorb. I use 1 tbs lecithin per 4-5oz of oil.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Got to try it. Even with all identify ingredients and using as close to a similar procedure as possible , everyone s mileage will vary based on other factors- grind density and others

FlyingLow,
Reactions: sativasam

sativasam

NO SMOKING
What happened... is it strong???

What coconut oil did you buy???
Was it non hydrogenate????
Where did you buy it???
Don't you get purer oil from course avb???

I used Biona Organic Raw Coconut Oil.

When you say purer oil do you mean less unwanted plant material? Rather than simply a better extraction of goodies? I would have thought that powdering the AVB would mean that the exchange into the fat was easier.

I will try the ABV oil tonight in a cup of hot chocolate and report.

Trial and error is the only way to get the dosing right. If you want to be scientific about it , you may want to get some empty capsules from a health food store and titrate your dosage using equally filled caps. It may take more than one. You could also use a dropper and take a few drops under the tongue. Be patient. It may take a couple hours to realize the potency. For it to be strong enough to get you even a little "high" just using as a salve, it would have to be ripping potent. I'm thinking 2-3 caps judging on your description of the ABV. Consider using some lecithin mixed in with the oil to help bind the THC to the oil and make it easier for the body to absorb. I use 1 tbs lecithin per 4-5oz of oil.

Thanks for the advice. I will test with caution. Ive seen you mention before that to make the best canna-oil with ABV one must first make an ISO extraction. I wondered why you don't just mix the hash oil straight into whatever your eating but then I remembered someone saying elsewhere that one should never ingest an ISO extracted oil. Do you have any knowledge of this? Would extracting from ISO oil into a food oil get rid of any apparent problems with this supposed issue? Ive quoted where I heard this below...

Perhaps @Vitolo could step in here and verify what I'm posting.... but I was under the impression that extractions made from alcohol were for ingestion and those made from ISO for vaping.

I do know you should NEVER ingest an extraction made with ISO. But I'm not positive on vaping an extraction made with alcohol. I believe you cannot because of the sugar.

Vito is this right?

sativasam,

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
It is better to use EtOH(ethyl alcohol, ever clear etc, ) for edibles. I only use my ISO extracts and reclaim after extensive purging of the ISO. The hazard is actually ingesting the ISO. My purge insures no residual ISO is present.

NorVape

Vape Rictim
I Mix the ISO with fat because you need fat to get high.

IDK I never understand RSO, which seems like bad ISO eaten with out fat.

sativasam

NO SMOKING
So I scraped the tiniest amount; roughly a quarter of a teaspoon, and mixed it in a hot chocolate. It tasted divine. I felt the effects pretty quickly and it has now been 2 hours so I know that it shouldn't get much stronger. I didn't want to get off my face, so thankfully I used such a small amount that the buzz is mild. But this stuff is strong for sure. Very happy with my first batch!

IMG_8427.jpg

IMG_8430.jpg

trichome_renaissance

I know that the only way to know the strength is literally by testing it. I just got a bit alarmed when I thought that there was a half ounce in this tiny amount of oil and wondered on others experiences as I would prefer not to trip balls by accident. Now that the extractions complete I can see that I have more like 50g (1/4 of a jar) of coconut oil containing 15g of ABV extracted goodies. It's come out nicely green. So I scraped the tiniest amount; roughly a quarter of a teaspoon, and mixed it in a hot chocolate. It tasted divine. I felt the effects pretty quickly and it has now been 2 hours so I know that it shouldn't get much stronger. I didn't want to get off my face, so thankfully I used such a small amount that the buzz is mild. But this stuff is strong for sure. Very happy with my first batch!

FWIW: I use 14g of pretty nice botanicals (not abv) per 1/2 cup of coconut oil and I find a good dosage for me is generally about 1/4 to 1/2 of a teaspoon. With abv, I'd assume I'd need 3-4x that dosage amount or the same dosage but 3-4x the amount of initial abv processing material. Also, for me it takes anywhere from 1.5 - 2.5 hours after dosing before I'm satisfied with the strength of the effect. Then the potency increases over the next 1.5 - 2 hours. Then the potency decreases over the next 1.5 - 2.5 hours before I no longer feel the effect.

As for ball parking potency and dosage, let's assume the following:

ASSUME
- your abv has 5% thc left
- my fresh botanicals have 20% thc
- target dosage is 20-30mg thc

FRESH BOTANICALS
14g x 200mg thc per g (@ 20% thc) = 2800mg thc
2800mg thc / 120 ml coconut oil (4oz x 30ml per oz) = 23.3mg thc per 1 ml of coconut oil
recommended dosage btw say 20mg and 30mg thc = btw 0.9 and 1.3 ml of this coconut oil
0.9 - 1.3 ml of coconut oil = btw 3 - 4.8 ml of coconut oil = btw 18% and 26% of 1 teaspoon of coconut oil

YOUR ABV
15g x 50mg thc per g (@ 5% thc) = 750mg thc
750mg thc / 120 ml coconut oil (4oz x 30ml per oz) = 6.25mg thc per 1 ml of coconut oil
recommended dosage btw say 20mg and 30mg thc = btw 3 and 4.8 ml of this coconut oil
3 - 4.8 ml of coconut oil = btw 60% and 96% of 1 teaspoon of coconut oil

So YMMV but the math (based on thc level and desired dosage assumptions) suggests that your 1/4 of a teaspoon dose was roughly 7.8mg of thc and that 3-4x that would put you in the 20-30mg range if you so chose to target it.

Last edited:

sativasam

NO SMOKING
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
As for ball parking potency and dosage, let's assume the following:

ASSUME
- your abv has 5% thc left
- my fresh botanicals have 20% thc
- target dosage is 20-30mg thc

FRESH BOTANICALS
14g x 200mg thc per g (@ 20% thc) = 2800mg thc
2800mg thc / 120 ml coconut oil (4oz x 30ml per oz) = 23.3mg thc per 1 ml of coconut oil
recommended dosage btw say 20mg and 30mg thc = btw 0.9 and 1.3 ml of this coconut oil
0.9 - 1.3 ml of coconut oil = btw 3 - 4.8 ml of coconut oil = btw 18% and 26% of 1 teaspoon of coconut oil

YOUR ABV
15g x 50mg thc per g (@ 5% thc) = 750mg thc
750mg thc / 120 ml coconut oil (4oz x 30ml per oz) = 6.25mg thc per 1 ml of coconut oil
recommended dosage btw say 20mg and 30mg thc = btw 3 and 4.8 ml of this coconut oil
3 - 4.8 ml of coconut oil = btw 60% and 96% of 1 teaspoon of coconut oil

So YMMV but the math (based on thc level and desired dosage assumptions) suggests that your 1/4 of a teaspoon dose was roughly 7.8mg of thc and that 3-4x that would put you in the 20-30mg range if you so chose to target it.
I didn't see your edit!!! :clap: That made me laugh. I will make a sticker with the dosage and name my ABV oil after you.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
So maybe a stupid question, but doesn't it taste of coconut, as I can't stand it...
Vegetable oil doesn't taste of vegetables so I'm hoping not...

kellya86,

vapor.man

I was also unsure first but then I remembered my mum used the same coco-fat for baking in the past.
I think it doesn't have any bit of coconut flavour. Its only the fat of the coconut. If you ask me even butter doesn't taste like milk...

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
@sativasam could you post a guide to the step by step process you did to make the cana-coco-oil

Hey hey! :)

You should get yourself a cheap espresso maker like this . . .
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...etti+6+cup&dpPl=1&dpID=41xgIaQzFTL&ref=plSrch

And then check out this thread for an easy-peasy almost foolproof way to make your own infused butters & oils with minimal fuss, mess & effort . . . .
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/anyone-try-abv-butter-using-a-mota-pot.16800/

F.Y.I. - a 'mota-pot' is really just a stove top espresso maker repurposed & branded for herbal infusions.

:tup:

:peace:

VegNVape,
Reactions: NorVape

sativasam

NO SMOKING
So maybe a stupid question, but doesn't it taste of coconut, as I can't stand it...
Vegetable oil doesn't taste of vegetables so I'm hoping not...

I love the smell of coconut oil. I would say it smells of coconut.

@sativasam could you post a guide to the step by step process you did to make the cana-coco-oil

Not that my way is anything special, different or refined but this is what I did....

1. Measure out equal cups of ABV and coconut oil. Half a cup each.

2. Put the ABV in a coffee grinder.

3. Put coconut oil in pyrex bowl.

4. Put water on the boil inside a metal pot with a metal steamer basket inside. The steamer basket was used so as to hold the pyrex bowl and stop it from moving/spilling.

5. Put pyrex bowl in pot and melt oil from the heat of boiling water.

6. Mix in ABV and stir thoroughly.

7. Place a pyrex plate on top of the pyrex bowl to keep the heat in as it can be hard if impossible for the oil to reach the correct temperature for extraction otherwise.

8. Check temperature of oil - make sure it reaches above 90c but not much more than 110c. (it shouldn't be able to reach higher than 110 if there is no direct contact with flame) This may not be essential but it is what I did.

9. Leave for 4 hours, returning to stir once every hour.

10. For one final hour stir every 10 minutes. So 5 hours on the hob in total.

11. Get a glass jar, coffee filters (cheese cloth probably would have been better) and a wide neck funnel.

12. Place funnel in jar, and coffee filter in funnel.

13. Pour in the oil and let it drip slowly.

I found that the last 1/4 of the oil had trouble getting through the filter likely due to it solidifying. Even though it still looked liquid enough. Rather than trying to squeeze the last of the oil out (which is a bad idea with coffee filters as they will split with ease) I waited until the oil had become solid. I then returned the unfiltered/solidified oil to the DIY crock pot to melt again, before running through a fresh filter.

sativasam

NO SMOKING
Thanks I wanted you to post that too..
Maybe I'll have to get over my fear of coconut...
you can always try other oils or fats. But Coconut oil is good because it doesn't burn as easy as somthing like butter.

sativasam,

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Doesn't coconut oil bind to thc better or something???

Im sure iv read a good reason why coconut oil is more suitable to use than other alternatives...

kellya86,
Reactions: VegNVape

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Doesn't coconut oil bind to thc better or something???

Im sure iv read a good reason why coconut oil is more suitable to use than other alternatives...
Coconut oil/butter has a higher saturated fat content than dairy butter, and pretty much any other oil too for that matter.

And because THC binds to saturated fat, it means that more of the active compounds that we really want can bind to less actual matter.

- Giving the potential for infused coconut butter to be more potent than infused dairy butter.

:tup:

OneLove.
:peace:

Ace of Space

@kellya86 , you can always use odorless coconut oil, it's not only odorless but also tasteless and loads cheaper. But if you use virgin coconut oil, and heat it in a double boiler for a bit, it will loose it's odor/taste as well.
Odorless coconut oil may have lost some of it's health properties but for the cannaoil it makes no difference.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Ok thanks for the advice... I suppose I could stick some flavour in it after anyway???
Honey and lemon??
Lemon and ginger??
Orange and cinnamon??

I assume I could add any of these things???

Ace of Space

I guess you can flavor the oil with essential oils, but i'm not sure which are safe essential oils to ingest and in what amount.
Having said that, just make something you like with the oil, that way you can also add stuff like lecithin and some form af sugar that will aid absorption. I know i prefer that to taking the oil by itself :rockon:

Ace of Space,

sativasam

NO SMOKING
Ok thanks for the advice... I suppose I could stick some flavour in it after anyway???
Honey and lemon??
Lemon and ginger??
Orange and cinnamon??

I assume I could add any of these things???
If you make oil then you will most likely use it to consume in edible form. Meaning you will be mixing it with the flavour of whatever food you put it in. If your oil is potent you won't need a lot of oil in whatever food/drink you are putting it in; so the coconut taste will be minimal.

By the way you can extract into honey, but I don't know how easy it is.

Top Bottom