• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

(ABV) Coconut Oil- Opinions wanted!

Nok21

Hey all! Rather than updating my last thread on cooking I've decided to start fresh and merely ask for some opinions on the method I have settled on. After doing my research (Wish i saw edibles 101 before my last thread!), I think this method will adequately extract all the goodies without failure.

Method: Double Boiler, improvised with a large pot of boiling water and a metal bowl to completely cover the top of the pot. Cooking time will be 1-2 hours, with stirring as needed. Final product will be placed into size 00 gelatin caps from an online vendor, and stored in a dark cool area.

Material: Organic virgin coconut oil, 10.5g ABV, 2-3g of leftover ABV QWISO extract. Using just enough oil to cover the ABV (I will pre-melt the oil, then add to the boiler as needed). Again, cook time will be 1-2 hours or until i am satisfied that everything has been extracted.

I am confident in this method, but i still would like a few opinions on the following before i start cooking:

1. When cooking with ABV instead of flowers, how much does it smell up ones home? I imagine it will smell up the place for a couple of hours with that lovely burnt popcorn smell. This is one of my main concerns.

2. After the extraction is done, should i fill the caps with liquid coconut oil or allow it to solidify before i put it into the capsules? I kinda feel like warm coconut oil could dissolve my gelcaps.

3. I have organic virgin and extra virgin coconut oil- I take it extra virgin is preferred?

4. If i want to throw in some QWISO extract into the oil, is it as simple as just throwing it into the oil? Can you cook with ISO extract that has been properly evaporated?

Any opinions are welcome and wanted, I only need opinions on the 4 points above. Thanks all!

Nok21,

zor

1. In my experience, there's a smell from ABV but it mixes well with the coconut oil and isn't too pronounced.

2. Let the oil cool but not solidify, you don't want to burn yourself while handling it but smushing cannaoil into capsules is also very inneffective :). I seem to remember a difference between gelatin and vegetable derived capsules and that one will react/dissolve from the coconut oil, I believe it is the latter.

3. Good question, I don't think it matters but I am not sure. That said, this is what I use (just bought it by default and I think price, no other qualifiers): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HNTPEWU and it works wonderfully.

4. I haven't tried this in a properly controlled manner so I can't really comment on it but I don't see why not.
It may be overkill but I'd decarb all your abv materials at 240 or 250 for 20-30 min just to ensure uniform activation.

Personally, I'd let the heating go longer because I don't know how anyone can tell how complete the extraction is without actually measuring it with the appropriate tools.

Nok21

Thanks, Zor! Cooking went well, made a load of caps and have a small mason jar of coconut oil leftover. I've noticed some of the caps have little zit like bumps popping out, most of them are hard but one capsule broke open- probably from external exposure to oil.

What is the proper way to store these? Dark cool place or in the freezer?

EDIT: Using gelatin capsules, not vegi capsules.

Last edited:
Nok21,

zor

I keep mine in a baggie in my fridge, I have some I made back in December that I brought with me to take as soon as I leave work, I'll try to remember and report back! The potency is approx 0.5g abv per pill, two usually get me in a nice place :)

Nok21

I keep mine in a baggie in my fridge, I have some I made back in December that I brought with me to take as soon as I leave work, I'll try to remember and report back! The potency is approx 0.5g abv per pill, two usually get me in a nice place :)

Appreciate all your input!

Interesting. Do you think they would melt if i stored them in an old asprin bottle in a dark cool place (IE my closet or a desk drawer)?

It also seems like a few people prefer to freeze them but i feel like that would get moisture on the outside of the capsules.

Either way, if anyone else can chime in i would love to know if i can keep these at room temperature or if i have to keep them chilled/frozen.

Last edited:
Nok21,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I have some coconut oil/gelatin capsules that I made last December in a small jar in my cupboard, and they are still fine.

Vegetarian capsules dissolve after a short time in the cupboard. I'm not going to use those again.

zor

I wouldn't worry about melting unless your environment gets above 76-80F regularly, but that's just opinion. I think they'd be fine in a bottle in a drawer, you definitely wanna block out light. Freezing may be a better option if you intend long term storage, but how that compares to fridge storage I have no clue...if the caps I take today aren't as effective then I would suspect the storage conditions, 5 months or so after production may be too long in a standard fridge....

zor,
Reactions: Nok21

Nok21

I have some coconut oil/gelatin capsules that I made last December in a small jar in my cupboard, and they are still fine.

Vegetarian capsules dissolve after a short time in the cupboard. I'm not going to use those again.

Thanks for the advice, I'll go with the jar in a drawer for now.

@ Zor- thanks for the input!

Sadly, it does tend to get around 80-100F this time of year. If i leave the house with them, it will be in a chilled lunch pail.

Thanks for all the input from both of you, I only have two question left:

Some of my capsules have small "Bubbles". The ones with the more noticeable bubbles are going to be kept out at room temperature overnight to make sure they pose no risk of bursting. Was this caused by external exposure to the liquid oil?

How long does it take for the oil in the capsules to re-solidify? I imagine at room temperature probably about a day?

EDIT: I figure I'll start around 2-4 capsules, as that is about 5ml of liquid oil and 5ml of an alcohol tincture normally is what i would take. Do they take a long time to kick in?

Nok21,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
coconut oil is liquid at 72F, I believe. So, it won't solidify if it is warmer than that.

You can put them in the fridge as needed.

Enchantre,

zor

the bubbles are probably just gas dissolved in the mixture that come out as the temp cools. I wouldn't worry about bursting. At room temp, the caps solidified very quickly given the small quantity in each and the easy heat conduction/dissipation.

Nok21

Once again, thanks for the speedy reply you two!

I dont think keeping the caps out (even if they remain a liquid) will cause any damage to the capsules, but i was more worried about throwing them all in a jar and having one burst, then coating the remaining capsules in oil (Causing more bursting). I only had one burst/melt open and that was probably because oil got on the outside or i overfilled it.

Nok21

Hate to bump my own thread, but another capsule (Warped one) is leaking. Guess ill have to fill them pre-use. Thanks all!

wildything

I believe you are not letting the oil get cool enough, if the gelatin itself bubbles outward.

wildything,
Top Bottom