Abv budder - slow cooker questions.

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Hey everyone, I've just got a few questions about making some ABV butter with a slow cooker.
I've searched, I've looked at some relevant looking threads, but I just can't find answers to some simple questions...

How much butter to abv should I use?
A 1:1 ratio?
Based on weight?
Based on volume?

I've got probably around 200 grams of ABV (a good couple of years worth of ABV), but the same weight in buter looks waaaay too small. However, the same volume looks like waaay too much (it'd be like 6lb of butter)

I keep seeing all these different variations of;
-Put butter + ABV in jar, fill slow cooker with water for double boiler effect
-put butter + abv + water in slow cooker, and separate later when the butter has cooled
-put just butter + abv in slow cooker

Which method is ideal from an extraction point of view?

My slow cooker only has 2 temp settings, I'm assuming I'd want to use low?

Is there a minimum / maximum time I should leave it going?

Obviously it needs to extract for at least a few hours, but what is the actual minimum time I should leave it for if I'm aiming for extraction of most goodies?
8 hours? More?

Is there a maximum?
I'm assuming it'd just get to a point where the prolonged heating would begin to either degrade the goodies I'm after, or cook the butter beyond usability...

I'd like this butter to make some edibles for 4/20, so I'm in no particular rush...
I'd rather do it right than do it quick.

I've had very meh results with edibles in the past, to the point that I have yet to truly feel like I've had any sort of effect, so I'd like to try to make this butter as potent as possible. Which I guess means I want to use as little butter as possible.

I figure I can always just dilute the ABV budder down with some extra butter if it turns out too strong.

TIA for the help everyone :)

Frederick McGuire,
Reactions: friedrich

Jethro

Wow, 200 grams... that's a lot of ABV. My normal run is 28 grams to 3 sticks of butter. Remember that probably one whole stick of butter is going to be lost when you strain the ABV material, you just won't be able to squeeze it all out. I have made butter a bunch of different ways including a crock pot, but my favorite method now is to use a double boiler. No water, just 28 grams of ABV and 3 sticks of butter. So an ounce of material for a cup of finished butter. Double boiler for about 6 hours or so and then strain the material and let set up. The reason I used water in the crock pot was because the 3-1/2 quart crock pot wouldn't get hot enough when there wasn't enough liquid in the pot. The coils on my crock pot are only on the sides, not underneath. Anyway, with the double boiler, I will make two batches of Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookies from that butter and they are potent. Seriously potent. I am a somewhat heavy user (vape a 1/4oz a week) and had the same experience as you- never got high from brownies or any edibles. One of my cookies will get me pleasantly high, 2 of them will get me completely Chinese eyed STONED out of my mind- almost uncomfortably so. I can't eat the cookies unless I have some days off- today is Friday so it's cookie night!! Keep in mind the quality of your material makes a huge difference. I vape only top shelf stuff and am a bit of a flavor snob so my ABV is very yellow with specks of green sometimes.

In the crock pot I put it on low for 12 hours or so. As long as it's not boiling it doesn't hurt anything no matter how long. I never tried the butter and ABV in the jar in the crock pot, but I assume It would be similar to my double boiler method. The waterless method seems to make for more potent cannabutter and that is what I do from now on.

Also don't forget to consider what you are going to make with your butter. I love cookies so that is why I make butter. But if you want to make brownies instead, you might want oil, not butter.

Last edited:

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
My edible experience was basically the same. Never really felt anything. Until I made some brownies with infused coconut oil. I used just enough oil to cover the abv (when melted). Regardless of amount. Use only as much as you need to cover and soak. I did the double boiler on the stove with a candy thermometer and a mason jar. I tried not to let the temp go above 180-190. Tightly sealed mason jar will prevent vapor from escaping. I also added some reclaim and other misc errl. The more goodies the better. Give it at least several hours to work the magic. My brownies had me slack-jawed and stoned.

GuyLeDuche

^ "Eat a bag of Dick's!"
200g of ABV made into butter sounds like too much junk food to me lol. Very happy friends I'll bet. Maybe ISO wash 50g or so and make some canna-coco capsules or kick-ass chocolates? I wash my abv and mix it with coconut oil, chocolate, lecithin, and a drop or two of limonene (orange peel oil). no one complains lol/.

puddleglum

I use coconut oil, just enough to cover the material if maximum potency is the goal.

I recommend not to cook the entire 200 grams your first try, treat it like a series of science projects and experiment with different techniques.

But with ABV I usually just grind it to flour and add it directly to the brownies, I don't both with making oil. I use 5g per tray of brownies, so you have enough for 40 trays (360 brownies) of my recipe. ;)

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Also don't forget to consider what you are going to make with your butter. I love cookies so that is why I make butter. But if you want to make brownies instead, you might want oil, not butter.
Awesome, Thanks for the response :D
I've got a brownie mix waiting for me that calls for butter already :)
And I was going to potentially make some white chocolate Icing with the budder too :)

I know I could always make some nice biscuits (for dialect clarity - Aussies really only use "Cookie" for choc-chip style cookies, most other similar items are biscuits. e.g. To me an Oreo is a biscuit, not a cookie) or something later, but brownies is going to be the first port of call :)

My edible experience was basically the same. Never really felt anything. Until I made some brownies with infused coconut oil.
I know coconut oil seems to be a popular option, I'm thinking I'll stick to butter mainly due to flavour, and I've never really used coconut oil in anything before...
I've got some leftover buds from a couple of BHO runs that is gonna go in with the ABV too :)

200g of ABV made into butter sounds like too much junk food to me lol. Very happy friends I'll bet. Maybe ISO wash 50g or so and make some canna-coco capsules or kick-ass chocolates? I wash my abv and mix it with coconut oil, chocolate, lecithin, and a drop or two of limonene (orange peel oil). no one complains lol/.
I'm thinking I'll freeze some/most of the butter for future use :lol:
My experiences making ABV ISO Oil have generally been :\ I might do something like that though... The Idea of capsules always kinda intrigued me, but I'd only be able to take the smallest of capsules, so I think loading them up might be a PITA...

I use coconut oil, just enough to cover the material if maximum potency is the goal.

I recommend not to cook the entire 200 grams your first try, treat it like a series of science projects and experiment with different techniques.

But with ABV I usually just grind it to flour and add it directly to the brownies, I don't both with making oil. I use 5g per tray of brownies, so you have enough for 40 trays (360 brownies) of my recipe. ;)
5g definitely wouldn't be enough for me for a whole tray of brownies.
I once tried some version of Firecrackers with ~2g of ABV, it Tasted like Shit and I didn't really notice much of anything... I'm hoping making the butter will help with both the taste and absorption.
I take my ABV pretty dark, so I'm not expecting all that much to be left in it, but with the quantity I've got, it should at least be worth my time :lol:

I kind of like the idea of doing it all in one big batch, as then I will have a consistent potency to all of the resulting butter.
If I make it too strong I can dilute it, if I make it too weak I can figure out how to use more butter in whatever recipe I'm using...

I might keep some ABV aside for a different method, but most of it will go to the one big butter run. :)

Frederick McGuire,

GuyLeDuche

^ "Eat a bag of Dick's!"
Maybe something like this if you decarb some?

He puts ground leaf/popcorn into jars and decarbs then into capsules in little icecube tray looking capsule holders. Pretty slick, I wouldn't mind a 2x daily reliable supplement lol.

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
Last brownies had only 5g of abv.
Also 1.8g of reclaim from my drop down. And another 2 g. of misc oil

Edit : filtered thru several layers of cheesecloth. Then twist up the cheesecloth and press with my potato ricer ( from BB&B)

Last edited:

puddleglum

5g definitely wouldn't be enough for me for a whole tray of brownies.
I once tried some version of Firecrackers with ~2g of ABV, it Tasted like Shit and I didn't really notice much of anything...

2g of ABV would be a psychedelic, clear my schedule for the day dosage, for me and my tolerance. I agree it would be disgusting to choke down that much plant matter. I hope you are planning to strain/filter your butter. ;)

puddleglum,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Last brownies had only 5g of abv.
Also 1.8g of reclaim from my drop down. And another 2 g. of misc oil

Edit : filtered thru several layers of cheesecloth. Then twist up the cheesecloth and press with my potato ricer ( from BB&B)
I'd guess the ~4g of oil would be most of that potency ;)

I was just going to squeeze the buggery out of my filtered ABV by hand...
2g of ABV would be a psychedelic, clear my schedule for the day dosage, for me and my tolerance. I agree it would be disgusting to choke down that much plant matter. I hope you are planning to strain/filter your butter. ;)
I plan on filtering out as much as I can with cheesecloth.
I don't really mind if some abv dust gets left behind considering I know some people just grind up their ABV and use it as a form of flour, so long as I get most of it out :)

Frederick McGuire,
Reactions: DieHard

puddleglum

I don't really mind if some abv dust gets left behind considering I know some people just grind up their ABV and use it as a form of flour, so long as I get most of it out :)

I do grind ABV and use it as flour but it's a tiny amount. I kind of like the flavor in combination with chocolate. ;)

puddleglum,
Top Bottom