Absolute??

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
I have been running BHO for over a year now and every single time I end up with an absolute shatter. Now for most people, myself included that is cool.

I just wondered though, how are people getting other consistencies ie: oil. I would like to get a more oil like product for using in carts etc. But don't know what part of the process to change. I have purged with heat, no heat, winterized, not winterized etc. Yet I always end up with shatter?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
deadheadbill,

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
Not sure if you are using a vac or not. There are others who are much mare adept at explaining the vac process than me. As far as no vac goes.....

I think a lot has to do w/ the depth of the pour when using pyrex and typical heating methods. Thinner pours typically make shatter and thicker pours typically make budder. I think winterizing aims you more towards a shatter consistency. When I make a nice thick oil, I never winterize and finish in a really short, wide mouth mason jar. This allows me to keep the depth and easily access the material. I'll do all my sprays, timing them to not evap too quickly and keep adding another larger spray jar to my small finish jar which sits in hot water to evap quicker than anything else. Once the material is all in the finish container and mostly evaped I'll bring it inside to finish off w/ almost boiling water on the stove. At this point, I'll heat (while stirring) until there are virtually no more bubbles (there will always be some air from stirring). Finally, I'll place the jar in the freezer at an angle to set it up in a nice pile for about 15 min. This short freeze seems to really help the consistency over the long term. Unless it's a strain that really wants to budder (more fats/lipids maybe?), I always end up w/ nice, amber, tasty, glassy oil w/ this method. when you try to scoop some up, it's easy to have a 6'"-12" glassy hair follow you out of the container if you're not careful.

I've been making waxes and shatters for the most part lately and I miss the oil. Nothing ever has as pronounced flavor as the simple oil. I've decided to go back to this next time.

edit: I'll 'sniff' the product a lot at the end. When purged, there should be no residual smell of any tane. It should just smell like hash.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Try decarbing your material beforehand, I read somewhere that the theory behind why it varies between shatter and oil is how decarbed the material is. I've never ran ABV with butane but I've been able to make shatter and oil with ISO alcohol, the difference being when I start with fresh material that I don't decarb I almost always get shatter, and whenever I use ABV (decarbed via vaping) it's consistently oil. I've never had shattery ABV oil before.

Shiggity

I use Ejmix from the liquidizer website. I take my ethanol winterized bho and push it through a 0.22um syringe filter onto silicone. Then after it is dry I put it in a shot glass that has a nice conical bottom and add a few drops of Ejmix. I heat the glass in a hot water bath. I add the minimum amount of Ejmix to resuspend the bho into a viscous liquid. Not much Ejmix is needed and the bho stays in suspension. I then draw it up in a syringe for storage and dispensing.
I use a globe atomizer and lay a strip of liquid right on the coil. It sucks right in to the wick and I see much less waste. The bho isn't stuck all around the sides of the ceramic it just stays in the wick. Taste is exceptional.

Wizsteve

I have been running BHO for over a year now and every single time I end up with an absolute shatter. Now for most people, myself included that is cool.

I just wondered though, how are people getting other consistencies ie: oil. I would like to get a more oil like product for using in carts etc. But don't know what part of the process to change. I have purged with heat, no heat, winterized, not winterized etc. Yet I always end up with shatter?

Any ideas?

here is a book to help

http://www.calgarycmmc.com/E-books/E Books A-B-C/Cannabis Alchemy - D. Gold.pdf

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
Not sure if you are using a vac or not. There are others who are much mare adept at explaining the vac process than me. As far as no vac goes.....

I think a lot has to do w/ the depth of the pour when using pyrex and typical heating methods. Thinner pours typically make shatter and thicker pours typically make budder. I think winterizing aims you more towards a shatter consistency. .

This makes perfect sense. My pours are always thin to accelerate the process and I used to winterize all the time but have tapered off.

Thanks, I'll go thru thast this weekend.

kingtut106

I know this might sound dumb, but I have been moving away from two solvent winterizing using ethanol after bho and just using bho to dewax in order to save flavor. Do you think adding EJ mix directly to my liquid butane mix after I dewax would work the same as adding during your ethanol step? It would basically be the same just a different solvent the EJ would be added into...

kingtut106,

Shiggity

I know this might sound dumb, but I have been moving away from two solvent winterizing using ethanol after bho and just using bho to dewax in order to save flavor. Do you think adding EJ mix directly to my liquid butane mix after I dewax would work the same as adding during your ethanol step? It would basically be the same just a different solvent the EJ would be added into...
It will work but as @StickyShisha pointed out you will have more wax in the mix. This will foul the atomizer and reduce flavor. It is also more gunk for the lungs. I would winterize, you will see the coil stay clean longer and give better flavor in the end.

Last edited:

kingtut106

how are you removing the unwanted plant waxes from your BHO?

I blast directly into a pyrex cup that is on top of a block of dry ice, once the waxes drop out I filter and purge. I would add the EJ mix after I filter out the waxes so it would be liquid butane and thc, then I would purge it all, that should work hopefully...

Top Bottom