A hard thread: Vaping cheap weed (pressed chunks) Will it work?

BrazilVape

I live in Brazil and here we usually get our mj as follows:

- Regular Sativa (or Indica) land grown :/
- Pressed along with males (seeds in brick) and sometimes with other unidentifiable objects :uhoh:
- Old and dried :mad:
- Sometimes, with ammonia in it!!! :o

Yeah, I know it is disgusting...

So, once I decided to quit the whole smoking world (but never MJ), I decided it was time to get myself a vaporizer. BUT, none of my friends have one and the closest I got to experiencing the process was at a bulb vape I made myself. It seems to work, even though it is hard for me to get a consistent hit out of it. But it makes me kinda high... and slightly increases taste and smoothness.

After extensive research (thank you FC!!) about vapes and the best suitability for my weed standards, I decided to get myself a LB (on its way :D)

Questions:

- Will I be able to properly vape my MJ on a LB?

- Do you think it may be able to give me consistent hits? (almost no preserved tricomes in a chunk of weed)

- Will I be able to throw my bong away for good? (daily but not brutal smoking habits)

- Will I be getting rid of the 10000's of impurities it has? (any expectation about taste increasing, etc)

- The challenging one: what about the disgusting ammonia? Any experienced vaper want to take a shot at it?

Thank you so much, guys. Hopefully you will help me and my friends enhancing our lung's health :cool:

Peace

BrazilVape,

Beezleb

1st I personally would not vaporize weed that had ammonia on it much less want to smoke it but if I had to I would grind it up and let it all evaporate it out.

The LB will work I think, im basing that off comparing what your describing to brick weed but understand it will not hit like a bong but it will get you where you want to be, at least it does for me when I use it.

Beezleb,

BrazilVape

Yep. Indeed it is brick weed (sorry for missing the best term in english)

Grinding it and allowing evaporation is the best way I've tried for getting rid of the ammonia - and I tried everything that I've read about (microwaving, freezing, even washing :lol:) even though I already knew it was very unlikely to work...

I was guessing that, when loading my LB with this weed + ammonia, I could get rid of it by blowing away my first hit (since ammonia is way more volatile than THC)... then it would be vaporizing only what I want... what do you think?

Thanks for the help

BrazilVape,

WesWeed

I think, given what you have to work with, that you need to do some kind of chemical wash before you vape or smoke it. QWISO seems easy enough, and if you don't know what that is, hopefully someone with more experience will tell you...I don't feel like I'm good enough at it to be giving advice.

WesWeed,

vape4health

I been vaping mids for about a week , I was worried about my less then cali grade not being vape worthy . I been going at it like a new toy , still in the first week , my gf and I have used about half the amount of normal . :D

I for one vote that a vaporizer is the best way that I have even consumed lower grade herb . I'm lookin for some real cheap shit to give a try .

vape4health,

BrazilVape

Thank you for the imputs, guys. I really appreciate it. Can't wait for my LB to arrive :p

vape4health said:
I for one vote that a vaporizer is the best way that I have even consumed lower grade herb
Comments like this one are exactly what I prayed for!!! However I still hope I can get rid of the ammonia with the vaporizer...

* by the way I'll definitely have the chance to try different types of incredible cheap weed (and compare with fresh buds I get from time to time)... if you want I can post pics and videos to show the results.

WesWeed said:
...you need to do some kind of chemical wash before you vape or smoke it...
Can electric vaporizers handle hashoil? Couldn't find specific threads about that...

Thanks again for helping me out. You guys are great. Just got another member/fan.

BrazilVape,

Beezleb

Do not use oil in the lb. Read the lb thread, it will negatively affect the lb.

Beezleb,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
Haha yeah I'm tryna peep some dirt weed flicks!

If I only had shit weed I'd get a VHW or something like that

bluntfaced,

Mark

John Brown
You can't use oil in it? That is some super major ultra omega suckage right there man.
Even if there is weed under it to catch it and make it impossible to touch the heater?

But yea, if you washed that shit in Iso and made oil, it might get rid of the ammonia. For sure, it is better to make oil out of brick weed them smoke the brick weed. I would never smoke shwag or brick weed or shake, even if I had it and nothing else, extracts is the way to go dude.

If you don't know how to make oil, just pm me or something, I can tell you anything you need to know and give you any advice. Oil is very easy to make once you know what you're doing.

Mark,

BrazilVape

Beezleb said:
Do not use oil in the lb. Read the lb thread, it will negatively affect the lb.
Thanks for the heads up, Beezleb. Any feelings about how ammonia will react when put on the LB? (apart from dizziness, lol)

BrazilVape,

KumarNoFumar

I'm not a doctor, but... Googling suggests breathing small amounts of ammonia is not known to be a real health problem, even though it is scary sounding. Grind it, let it dry, whatever you like to do. If it isn't offensive to you while vaping, the ammonia probably isn't going to have any long term effects either. Don't know what changes combustion would make to the ammonia.

I'd be more concerned about pesticides or "the unknown" :uhoh: than I would about ammonia.

Vaping crappy brick weed is going to be healthier than smoking the finest buds in the world. You can even grind up the stems and get some impressively not-nasty puffs. Impressive mainly because you've made something out of nothing, not because it compares to the genuine article.

If you are limited to brick weed, I think that a vaporizer is even more important, because it eliminates a much greater proportion of burned plant material, for any given amount of "desirable effects" than it would with higher quality stuff, which you would be using less of anyway. In other words, smoking bad stuff is worse than smoking good stuff becasue you end up breathing more smoke to get the desired effect. Vaping evens things out health wise, assuming no contaminants, but you'll still consume weak stuff at a higher rate due to lower potency.

KumarNoFumar,

NoSmoke

Im gonna have to disagree here. IMO when you smoke crappy weed at least you are killing alot of those nasties with the flame, kind of like smoking kills THC. :2c:

NoSmoke,

KumarNoFumar

I bet you do kill some nasties by burning, but I know for a fact you create a whole lot of new ones.

If you have reason to believe your herb has some biological hazard in it, like mold or powedered anthrax, burning may be overall healthier than vaping. And maybe some toxic chemicals would be destroyed by fire that would be passed on via vapor. But I am convinced that the vast majority of the time, combustion creates more (and worse) nasties than it removes, even with the crappiest herbs.

Or you can just roll it up and smoke it, without giving a damn. That's what I do, cuz I can't afford to roll up the expensive stuff. I try to make the best of a shwag situation :D

KumarNoFumar,

RebelToker86

I've vaped some pretty low grade bud before and still got blazed. Same effects as smoking and it takes less. Give it a try!

RebelToker86,

Mark

John Brown
Grind it, lay it out, and blowdry that shit, that's how I evaporate my oil, should work the same in concept. Watch to not blow away all the weed though. Or bake it in the oven at like, 100 C.

Actually, the oven idea should work really well.

Mark,

BrazilVape

KumarNoFumar said:
Vaping evens things out health wise, assuming no contaminants, but you'll still consume weak stuff at a higher rate due to lower potency
Great! That is exactly what I was thinking... that I would need 2 or 3 times the amount of weed you use, but the health aspect would be kinda even... kinda...

KumarNoFumar said:
I'd be more concerned about pesticides or "the unknown" :uhoh: than I would about ammonia
KumarNoFumar said:
If you have reason to believe your herb has some biological hazard in it, like mold or powedered anthrax, burning may be overall healthier than vaping
C'mon guys, it ain't like I'm buying it from Al Qaeda :p even though I do recall some nasty stuff inside my bricks... but it was more like cement, stones, various types of other plants.... dead animals... anyway, all the things I want to get rid of by vaping...

NoSmoke said:
when you smoke crappy weed at least you are killing alot of those nasties with the flame
You are right, NoSmoke, but only when it comes to biological stuff... (waxes, plants, microbes...) Just like Kumar said, as far as I know, flame is worse when dealing with chemical compounds, once you can create dioxins, furans and other nasty (really nasty) stuff... :uhoh:

Mark said:
...blowdry that shit... Or bake it in the oven at like, 100 C
Great, Mark! You put it out like Beakman World when it comes to the sacred herb :) I'll definetly PM you to learn this once I put my dirty hands on some low grade weed (winter is always good for us)

Thanks again guys... can't say how eager I am for my LB to come and how helpful you have been! Great community you got here.

BrazilVape,

NoSmoke

I would of thought brazil would have good buds, doesn't Colombia grow anymore? What happend to Panama Gold?

NoSmoke,

Mark

John Brown
Instead of emailing you, I am going to post some made up instructions here so others can read them.
While I know QWISO or BHO result in 'cleaner' oil, I like black oil with the plant matter and other cannabinoids in it in addition to the THC that make the oil larger and heavier. Whereas BHO will give you less cannabinoids contaminants and more THC and less end product.

Materials:
1 Pyrex Dish
1 Larger dish (a cookie sheet will do)
150-500ml of ISO (buy 1L for $5.76)
Method to boil water + pot or kettle
2 Razor blades
1 Coke can
1 Coffee filter

My method for low grade herbs, (minus the second step that I am recommending for removing the ammonia) is as follows:
1. Grind the herb to dust, use a coffee grinder or a blender or some shit, a hand grinder won't get it as small as I like, more surface area means 'dirtier oil' but a lot more for the ISO to grab.
2. Place the ground herb into a Mason Jar (a glass pickle jar) and place said jar into boiling water with the top off, do not let water into the jar. Doing this will heat the herbs and evaporate the ammonia faster, another theory I thought of, would be to take the herb and place it all into a tub or something, and blow dry it on max heat/high. High walls on the tub so you don't blow that shit all away.
3. With all the herb in the Jar, pour in the ISO. You can purchase ISO from any drug store for very little. The higher the percentage the better, as you will have to evaporate less water later on (I personally use 99% from Shoppers Drugmart) pour it in 'till you can see liquid at the top of the jar, meaning the entire herb is over saturated. Then shake it with the lid on, and (with the lid still on) place the jar into the boiling water to heat the ISO. After a few minutes, take the shit out, open the lid before you shake it then put the lid back on and shake it for a good 3-5 minutes.
4. Make a funnel with a hemp coffee filter in it to strain the bud from the ISO. What I always make since I do not have permanent coffee filters and instead use non bleached hemp ones, is to find an aluminum coke/beer can and remove the top and bottom creating a tube. I then wash and dry it, and push the filter into the can, leaving some on the outside to fold down around the edge and tape to hold the filter in place.
5. Place the funnel into a glass/Pyrex dish (or anything easy to scrape, clear is better, I use Pyrex glass plates available at Dollarama for (obviously) $1) and then place that Pyrex dish into a larger dish, or a cookie sheet or some shit, something bigger than the first dish.
6. Pour the ISO from the jar into the filter you made, when I pour it, I use a fork to hold the herb back from falling into the filter. This is the most important step, be very careful to do this outside. DO NOT SPILL ANY HERB INTO THE PYREX DISH UNDER THE FILTER, IF ANYTHING AND I MEAN ANYTHING TOUCHES THE PLATE, POUR EVERYTHING INTO THE JAR AND CLEAN THE PLATE AND RESTART.
7. Boil water and pour it into the cookie sheet or the larger dish or whatever you put the first Pyrex dish into, do not put to much that the water gets over the rim of the Pyrex dish and ruins the oil. You want the boiling water to heat the plate and evaporate the water.
A much more dangerous and much, much faster method (the one I usually use if no one is coming over for awhile, as it REEKS) is to put a big pot of boiling water onto the stove, and place the Pyrex dish over the pot, the trapped steam and heat will make the plate very hot, and evaporate the ISO very very fast, creating a lot of dangerous flammable gas. Be sure to close all the doors but the outside one if your back door in in the kitchen like mine. Also, this creates enough heat to start burning the oil, so watch.
7. After you remove all liquid and it is like a wet sludge, get a blow dryer and start blowing the oil 'till there are no bubbles and there is no reaction at ALL besides the oil moving in a 'ocean wavelike pattern'. You can let the oil sit after this for 24 hours to further remove any ISO that you missed, I usually don't as I am confident I evaporate it fully, but I would recommend it for you, because the ammonia that somehow may have survived ALL of that evaporation work on the ISO, will most likely leave from the thin spread oil in the plate.
8. (This step is purely personal preference)
Place the oil into the freezer for 10-20 minutes to make it rock hard and easy to flake off the plate, or don't and scrape it off wet and messy, some people find either method easier to do.
9. Get two razorblades and begin scraping the plate from the middle, use the second razor to scrape shit off the first, it is important to maintain clean razorblades, do not let the oil get messy on you, it will get all over your hand and be wasted if you use a oil smudged and covered razor. Pile (or drip if you didn't freeze) all of the oil into the middle of the dish.
10. When you are done scraping and have all your oil in the middle, ball it up if it was frozen so it does not blow away, and begin blow drying it again just to be safe. When it is good and wet, scoup it up and place it into your respective storage receptacle.

I keep my oil in small glass vials.
4083-01.jpg

Mark,
Top Bottom