SideKick by Elev8 Vehicles

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Does anyone know if there are WPA options for the Sidekick? Some guy on reddit offered me one in a trade but the proprietary bubbler, while pretty cool, isn't for me. Too fragile looking and I like my big bongs. @stickstones your description of the Sidekick's radiation makes it seem like a conduction vape that could actually shine through a glass piece

They should have an adapter for this thing. I'll mention it and you're right...it's perfect for that. Here's what I did in about a minute. It's a Q elbow that sticks in enough to stay put, but you will have to hold it in place to use it this way. But it is an airtight seal.

http://i.imgur.com/kycUWFw.jpg

I heard that about the bubblers as well...good stuff. Also, the downstems on the bubblers fit into the 7th Floor tubing, so you can use it on the end of your whip unit as well.

I also checked on sale pricing and there is none. There will be a 4/20 sale in brick and mortar stores only, and it will be about $35 off. No need to wait that long...

DrFunkyMD

They should have an adapter for this thing. I'll mention it and you're right...it's perfect for that. Here's what I did in about a minute. It's a Q elbow that sticks in enough to stay put, but you will have to hold it in place to use it this way. But it is an airtight seal.

http://i.imgur.com/kycUWFw.jpg

I heard that about the bubblers as well...good stuff. Also, the downstems on the bubblers fit into the 7th Floor tubing, so you can use it on the end of your whip unit as well.

I also checked on sale pricing and there is none. There will be a 4/20 sale in brick and mortar stores only, and it will be about $35 off. No need to wait that long...

I really have to disagree on one point you make about the sale.
1) It clearly says on their instagram the Sidekick will be on sale for $200 bucks (one per customer) during 420
I agree it will be an in store sale only though.

DrFunkyMD,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Instagram...damn I was checking Facebook. Thanks for that. I'll check and report.

EDIT: they will be $200 in brick and mortar stores for 420 sales.

Last edited:
stickstones,

grokit

well-worn member
Too bad about the cup(?), they would have probably sold a lot of sidekicks in colorado :tup:

grokit,

Estimated Brahphet

I couldn't find it on instagram but wasn't sure I was checking the only page. Plus their posts were out of time order for some reason

Estimated Brahphet,

hoptimum

I tend to agree with @steama about there being plenty of heat. I get similar results with vapor density from hitting super slow vs. a much faster draw. The heater seems to respond fairly quickly, and seems to be able to main:clap::clap::rockon::clap:tain vaping temp even with a fast draw. I'll take some thermal photos of the Sidekick later.

I also experimented with vaping a small amount without the top plate on. Interestingly, visible vapor production started while the temperature still read zero, and increased as the temp went up. I found it works best with torn apart or coarsely ground material better than finely ground - if the grind is too fine, the stir rod just moves through without really disrupting what's in the middle or stuck to the sides.
Loading larger pieces, taking a few hits on 3-4, then a vigorous stir to break it up, followed by vaping at 5-6 seems to work very well. This is good, because I don't like to carry a grinder around in addition to the vaporizer.
I tried stirring while vaping, with no or very little carryover. If you have the vortex rod installed, I highly doubt any particles would make it all the way past that, especially once it becomes resinated. Speaking of resin, the screen needs cleaning very often. It gets quite a bit of buildup of ABV and condensed vapor after just 2-3 bowls. If you use the Sidekick often, you're going to be cleaning the screen often too. Alcohol wipes work really well for this.

I tried the concentrate can out last night. It's quite effective, but a little confusing on how to use it. The silicone lid of the concentrate can covers the bowl, so there's nowhere for the stir rod to go... I ended up unscrewing it and using the concentrate can with just the screen (it's not attached to the stir rod)
I set the heater at 10 for the can, seemed to work well. It doesn't give dab-like hits, though. Much more like vaping flower material as far as vapor production, but obviously the flavor is different. It hits with medium density vapor for 10+ hits, before I hit the 7 min cutoff and decided I was too medicated to continue ;)

When vaping flowers, the vortex rod seems to condense a lot of vapor that you would otherwise inhale, and I find that it hits better with the rod removed. The vapor is still cool without the rod, but there's something about portable vapes that makes me get, as @steama puts it, severely baked. I have the same effect from the Magic-flight. Also like the magic flight and other good portables I have tried, the Sidekick has a way of sending me into extreme coughing sessions. I think it must be something about the short vapor path, or maybe it is just a conduction vape thing. Both of these happen with or without the rod, although the coughing is worse without it.

Mad props for your photos and description. :clap: What took you so long?

hoptimum,

HD Springer

@steema doesn't it have multiple heat settings. If a person were to lower the temps wouldn't you be able to refrain from combusting.
I for one want a device that's capable of combusting but able to lower the temps and regulate it. I have found if it can't combust it's usually too weak for my liking. And I know the very instant I've combusted it doesn't take me looking at my Abv.

YungLeaner

It seems unlikely that a vape darkening the AVB too heavily would make someone sick that quickly, but of course I could be wrong. Health effects aside I would like to see a low temp load's AVB color. People hate on the pax but on the lowest temp it turns out perfect very light gold AVB and this should be able to do the same if it's working as intended

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Yeah, I'm not perfect.

I was very enthusiastic because I like to get higher but not at the expense of my health.

I was getting very ripped and I was trying to figure the device out. I never had full out of control combustion but the herb was ALWAYS so black. I was trying to explain this black ABV because it just would smolder. I just thought this is how the Sidekick vapes or maybe the stir mechanism could be causing it? I am a stoner and vaper not an engineer.

Since I sent the device back I have been suffering from symptoms of inhaling pre-combustion material (charring, smouldering, scorching, from blackening of the ABV). I have been sick from using the Sidekick.

If you are happy with the job it does as a vaporizer that's great. I am just sharing what I have learned over time with the device and that is it is FAR TOO HOT to be an effective healthy vape because of the pre-combustion it is doing.

Like I said, do not take my word. Check the ABV.

Sorry for your troubles, but this is the reason I always doubt opinion of too enthusiastic customers/reviewers: see some GH or zion thread/user.
Even worst when they litterally ask you to buy it, because "you want it"

subway13029

Wow @steama you are really not coming off in a favorable light in this situation..i mean just looking at it and reading seems you are a disgruntled customer who is now bashing the company you so praised for its amazing device..seems as though u wanted the device and your money back??and now you are bashing them??do you still love your super surfer??or just done with them as a whole? Im just curious because when i joined this site you were one of the first people whose opinion i trusted and valued and now it just seems very odd how this is shaking down..

Tommy10

Hehe, pre combustion debate strikes again!
I think this is too pricey for how often I'd use it, and not enough battery life what I'd use it for. Still exciting for the market, all these up and coming convection portables look good but I still seem to prefer conduction in a portable good to see that this is shaping up to be a nice heavy hitting conduction session vape, the stirring tool is pretty sweet too!

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not perfect.

I was very enthusiastic because I like to get higher but not at the expense of my health.

I was getting very ripped and I was trying to figure the device out. I never had full out of control combustion but the herb was ALWAYS so black. I was trying to explain this black ABV because it just would smolder. I just thought this is how the Sidekick vapes or maybe the stir mechanism could be causing it? I am a stoner and vaper not an engineer.

Since I sent the device back I have been suffering from symptoms of inhaling pre-combustion material (charring, smouldering, scorching, from blackening of the ABV). I have been sick from using the Sidekick.

If you are happy with the job it does as a vaporizer that's great. I am just sharing what I have learned over time with the device and that is it is FAR TOO HOT to be an effective healthy vape because of the pre-combustion it is doing.

Like I said, do not take my word. Check the ABV.

You have made your point, more than once which is more than our rules allow. You no longer own a Sidekick and you are not adding anything to this discussion. Our rule is that you get to make your complaint once and then you aren't supposed to post about the issue again until there is something new to report. You are well past this line. If you post again on this subject, you will be given a warning point.

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Wow... So this is going to cost more than $300 when not on pre-order? $300 is too much already imo, $350 if you decide to grab the bubbler as well, also an overpriced addition.

Hope things become more reasonable on this device. Looks cool.

mayan

A report from the front: So...the learning curve continues. Last use, I tried a ground, firm pack at 6.5 and was rewarded with excellent taste and effect. Stirred between draws. Vortex stick in place. The vaping experience was great. After 6 or 7 draws (slow), I checked the ABV -very brown -and there was quite the burned popcorn odor...otherwise, it was a great foray into learning how to use this and the vaping experience was first rate. I typically use a Mighty these days - so all else kind of measures against that standard. This looks like it may be a contender although I am mindful that this is the debut of a new device that will undoubtedly morph and be updated as reports come in from the hinterland.

The downsides, so far...the burnt popcorn and that it may be a bit more fiddly in terms of upkeep and cleaning.

Still, getting to know it...If I could figure out how to successfully vape kief or hash, I think it would level up...in the meantime, the journey continues.

Dro Smoe

I am not in a popularity contest and I would rather just tell the truth.

I am not asking anyone to believe me --- just look at the ABV the Sidekick produces. It is burning material. It just took me awhile to understand this vape and figure out what it is doing but now I am clear.

Even when I was raving about the Sidekick I was always pointing out I did not understand the BLACK ABV this unit makes (all of my post are in this thread so you can read everything I have written on the Sidekick). Well, it is called precombustion. It is charring, smouldering, scorching and smoking. This is not a vape but a pre combustion device that overcooks what you put into it. The oven is a poor design that is simply far too hot. I was getting higher because it was inhaling combustion materials because of this but also more sick. The Sidekick burns material.

The Sidekick has made me very ill because it causes the user to inhale burnt pollutants. it is a poorly designed vape, I mean pre-combustion device.

These people simply made a flawed vape and that is all it is. Things like this happen but it is not @steama fault. I am just sounding the alarm.

ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS CHECK THE ABV. Don't take my word for it.

I had to open an account simply to tell you that you're being awfully childish and dramatic about the whole thing.. If you're getting "sick" from burned material than you probably shouldn't be vaping anyways lol ..

-Dro Smoe, an old school smoker - who has been around since before vaping was thought of, and never got "sick" from lighting an old fashioned joint.. lol Cheers Gents, glad to be here!

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I had to open an account simply to tell you that you're being awfully childish and dramatic about the whole thing.. If you're getting "sick" from burned material than you probably shouldn't be vaping anyways lol ..

-Dro Smoe, an old school smoker - who has been around since before vaping was thought of, and never got "sick" from lighting an old fashioned joint.. lol Cheers Gents, glad to be here!

And I would like to remind you of this rule:

If you feel someone is breaking the rules or causing some kind of problem, don’t try to deal with it yourself. Use the Report feature located at the bottom of each post.

Your post only serves to fan the flames and prompts the person to reply. And that just perpetuates the problem. Please use the report feature in the future.

Oh.... and welcome to the forum. :)

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Good session earlier today. I dropped a nugget in there and started on six. After 4 minutes with little loss in taste I opened it up and it was a medium tan. I went the full seven minutes and there was still vapor, so I gave it another two minutes and cooked it all the way through...very dark. Effects were great...the signature is strong with this one.

I like how it feels in the hand, and again, the vapor is wonderfully cool throughout the entire session with just the stock mouthpiece. I think I will stick it on a bubbler later tonight just for fun. I'm growing surprisingly fond of this thing.

Top Bottom