5-htp supplement and vaping

what's up everyone?

it's my first post but i've owned the classic volcano since 5 years ago and upgraded to the digi volcano 2 years ago. I've read and noticed that smoking with 5-htp potentiates the effects, was wondering if anyone has tried this?

i've taken 5-htp and then vaped an hour or 2 later and felt different. but then again it may have been placebo.

Vapor Life,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Wow, hadn't heard of it till now, looks like it's cheap, at walmart, and makes a lot of people feel like a pot virgin by just taking 100 mg 20 minutes to an hour before using weed.

google search

Erowid user experience

5-HTP seemed to play a significant role on the effects of marijuana. i could be wrong about that but I'm absolutely sure that this particular smoking session was totally different than any other that I've experienced--actually, I take that back--it was QUITE similar to the first few times that I smoked weed, in the way that I felt somewhat hyper and had an intense experience. Anyone who habitually smokes weed knows what I'm talking about. 'There's no time like the first time...'--well maybe there *IS* with the correct chemical intervention.

I have repeated this experiment with varying doses of 5-HTP always taken 1.5 hours before smoking the herb. I have tried doses as low as 50 mg and as high as 550mg. More spasming and general jitteryness was experienced as the dose increased but enhancement of the cannabis high was noted at even the smallest dose of 50HTP (50mg). This does not seem to be a placebo effect but I would be interested in hearing about any other experiences involving 5-HTP and cannabis used in conjunction to serve as confirmation (or shoot-down) of my experiments

another comment somewhere else:

From a scientific standpoint 5-htp has been shown to prevent the loss of shortterm memory effects caused by Marijuana,

posts from 2005 but i never heard of it, wow, TV sucks, lol

VWFringe,
Reactions: KeroZen

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
LOL, I am definitely getting some of this...

Erowid
I became stoned to the point where I began to lose conscious thought process and awareness of the environment around me. I faded into some kind of closed eye visual state quickly, and felt myself losing hold on reality.

My face into the toilet, I hallucinated and dreamed my way through a thousand realities, continually fighting the high and feeling desperately deformed in my ability to function and exist. The world around me existed, I knew that, but I didn't understand how I could return to it. Whenever I would open my eyes to move or to adjust myself around the room, I would not know where I was or how the bathroom was laid out, let alone how I had gotten there or who was in the house. Eventually, I lay on my back and passed out on the dirty bathroom floor for a while. My friends were nervous to come in, but eventually did and woke me up. I couldn't feel the difference between waking up and being passed out, the realities I was walking through were still as vivid and real, they were just cut into with the visions my eyes would produce while open.

Finally, after passing out a couple more times and spending a couple more hours hallucinating, I was able to get myself up and take my place on the couch in the room next door. I finally fell asleep and continued hallucinating in my dreams until about 11:30 AM the next morning, when I was awoken by my cellphone.

VWFringe,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yea, I don't know. I've tried a LOT of stuff in my time, and I have never felt like that. I think a lot of the war stories on erowid are bullshit...

Tstat,

CombustionJunction

What's Your Function?
Hmmmm...... interesting. I happen to have some 5-htp and some quality buds. I may give this a try this weekend.

CombustionJunction,
Reactions: z9

Tuck

I picked some up earlier at walmart in the vitamin aisle. It was ahead of vitamin a. Cost me about $10. I took it about an hour ago. it was 100mg. I felt it about 45 min later in my face. I just hit the ssv and I feel good but I'm not sure if it's placebo and I'm just vaked. I do feel like I'm getting more of a body high than normal.

Tuck,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Dr Mesmer used to bring his patients into a small room with handles for people to hold onto...but, at the time everyone "knew" if they grab that handle they're going to vomit, and without fail every one of his patients who grabbed that handle heaved on queue, even though the handles weren't connected to anything.

really makes me wonder. Obviously Tuck's experience wasn't in the same league as the person on Erowid. I'll find out in a week or so.

VWFringe,

luchiano

you want to take 5-htp, like other amino acids, with some carbohydrates to get insulin to be released which will send the amino acids where they can be utilized efficiently. Orange juice is good. Even better would be having something fatty[high in unsaturated] fat with it like almond milk to send some to the lymphatic system for a REAL good relaxed feeling but that's a deeper discussion.

You also want to take some vitamin b6 to convert the 5htp to serotonin. Also take it with some fiber such as psyllium husk or metamucille if you don't like plain powdered psyllium husk with orange juice for whatever reason. The fiber makes sure that only a little serotonin is being made at a time due to slow absorption and prevents negative effects of too much serotonin at one time. This would mean vaping around an 1hr-1.5hr later for best affects of the cannabis and 5-htp combo.

For best effects take it at night or early evening with a low protein meal[not a lot of meat or beans] and go out and be social. It will be fun instead of being relaxed and going to sleep. It enhances social situations.

Remember all you need is around 50mg to start with.

Tuck

Well, it was a pleasant experience last night. And I was pretty relaxed - almost to the point of being sleepy. I did wake up with a mild headache this morning, but that may be caffeine related. I gave up soda for lent and didn't drink much tea yesterday. I will try again and try some of luchiano's tips.

Would a multivitamin have enough b6? Also should taking it with a bowl of raisin bran give me enough fiber?

Tuck,

crawdad

floatin
i have 5-htp as well, but its not for me...its part of a concoction i made up from research into how to make a woman's "time of the month" less dramatic...and works.

i plan to not try this though, the way my body handles cannabis naturally is about as perfect as i couldn't possible imagine already.

fwiw, 5-htp is something you can take too much of so do be wise with it.

crawdad,

luchiano

Tuck said:
Well, it was a pleasant experience last night. And I was pretty relaxed - almost to the point of being sleepy. I did wake up with a mild headache this morning, but that may be caffeine related. I gave up soda for lent and didn't drink much tea yesterday. I will try again and try some of luchiano's tips.

Would a multivitamin have enough b6? Also should taking it with a bowl of raisin bran give me enough fiber?

I'm not sure how much b6 is in the multivitamin but it's better than none. The fiber in raisin bran is not the type you want to eat by itself because it's mostly insoluble fiber and this speeds up excretion. You want mostly or an equal amount of soluble fiber to slow down absorbtion and cause a constant release of 5-htp into the system. Both fibers are good together for different reasons. One to keep a constant level of release of nutrients which sustains energy and the affects we want and the other to keep the colon healthy and get rid of toxins and metabolites that aren't needed quickly(around 24hrs after ingesting).

A good thing to do get some b6 is to eat a good amount of spinach or other leafy green vegetables, make sure to saute in some fat to increase absorption of the fat soluble nutrients, and some high carbohydrate food with some fiber like brown rice that's been fried or however you like with little slices of meat or beans if you like but remember only a little, Sort of like pork fried rice, beans and rice or something like that, or some whole grain pasta. Make sure to have some orange juice if you can for better absorption of nutrients also. The goal is to not have a sugar crash which having too much sugar/carbs with no fiber or very little of it can produce.

luchiano,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
First you need some stuff to metabolize that 5-htp.. It is not serotonin till it is metabolized into that. Anyway
serotonin become in its most -melatonin.. after sundown .. which has to do with dreams vividness,sleep , tiredness.. So if you are looking into any benefits to your high.. i suggest first of all make sure you got vitamin d3 and b6 so you can make that 5-htp effective.
I've taken much grifornia simplifolica and this is what 5-htp is extracted from.. mostly..
So i don't think in my experience that it has to do anything with THC or other cb stuff.
If taken with shrooms.. well that is a different matter.. :) It works well with MAOI but presents and XTC but presents the dangers of serotonin syndrome (which means you can burn off your brain) .
So if you want greater effects from pot just vape some more.. and don't mess with you body chemistry..
5-htp is knowing to relieve depression in people who lack that stuff.

Abysmal Vapor,

SD_haze

First you need some stuff to metabolize that 5-htp.. It is not serotonin till it is metabolized into that.
^^^^very important

Its so sad how many people take expensive 5-HTP and don't supplement it with the proper vitamins (and dont get it naturally in their diet)

Just like flushing the pills down the toilet

SD_haze,

Abysmal Vapor

Actually it might be not new to your country.. but yesterday i heard on the news some real TRUTH about vitamins.. and the abuse people are doing..
1. Vitamin pills are messing your immune system
2. Make it heavy for the liver
3. Are not absorbed because are destroyed in stomach acid sea..
4. Can make you fat.. and cause extreme hunger cause your body thinks that you have eaten large amount of food to get all that vitamins.. but there is nothing in your stomach.. and body..

Also deadly mixes.. herbs + prescription pills..
Ginko biloba + aspirin.. You might bleed in your brain .. cause both are broadening your blood paths..
St. john's worth + Antidepressants (benzodiazepines) = serotonin syndrome
St. john's worth + Anti-birth pills.. = No anti-birth effect..

Abysmal Vapor,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Abysmal Vapor said:
First you need some stuff to metabolize that 5-htp.. It is not serotonin till it is metabolized into that. Anyway
serotonin become in its most -melatonin.. after sundown .. which has to do with dreams vividness,sleep , tiredness.. So if you are looking into any benefits to your high.. i suggest first of all make sure you got vitamin d3 and b6 so you can make that 5-htp effective.
I've taken much grifornia simplifolica and this is what 5-htp is extracted from.. mostly..
So i don't think in my experience that it has to do anything with THC or other cb stuff.
If taken with shrooms.. well that is a different matter.. :) It works well with MAOI but presents and XTC but presents the dangers of serotonin syndrome (which means you can burn off your brain) .
So if you want greater effects from pot just vape some more.. and don't mess with you body chemistry..
5-htp is knowing to relieve depression in people who lack that stuff.

I am actually more interested in the depression relief. I used to take anti depressants, but I have been able to manage that with herb. My tolerance has been increasing recently, and I can't really take a t break now, or for a while...

So, I have pursued other forms of herb, aside from edibles, tincture, etc...I got into hash again recently, and while it does get me medicated very easily, and better than just herb, it doesn't seem to get the depression much...

I have and take vitamin d3 daily...I also have psyllium husk, and from what I have gathered, drinking it in some orange juice would work, correct?

Edit*
Abysmal Vapor said:
Actually it might be not new to your country.. but yesterday i heard on the news some real TRUTH about vitamins.. and the abuse people are doing..
1. Vitamin pills are messing your immune system
2. Make it heavy for the liver
3. Are not absorbed because are destroyed in stomach acid sea..
4. Can make you fat.. and cause extreme hunger cause your body thinks that you have eaten large amount of food to get all that vitamins.. but there is nothing in your stomach.. and body..

Also deadly mixes.. herbs + prescription pills..
Ginko biloba + aspirin.. You might bleed in your brain .. cause both are broadening your blood paths..
St. john's worth + Antidepressants (benzodiazepines) = serotonin syndrome
St. john's worth + Anti-birth pills.. = No anti-birth effect..

Any sources given for this info?

My doctor is into holistic medicine, and has steered me away from pharmaceuticals, due to the associated liver damage, among other reasons. It would seem pretty counter-productive for him to recommend that I take vitamin d3, if it posed issues to the liver like pharms. as well as the other issues you listed... :/

Not saying that your lying, or don't know what your talking about, I just want to read more about what you brought up. I don't now a whole lot about the vitamins, etc, but I'm trying to learn as I go.

:peace:

Purpl3_Haz3,

Abysmal Vapor

My source was the central news on the "national" television..

Abysmal Vapor,

Cleanfiend

Hey Purpl3_Haz3 -- check out a supplement called SAM-E for depression. It is the only over the counter supplement that has ever had any profound effects on my general mood and disposition. It provides energy, it also is a pain reliever -- and it makes you happy. Cons: it can upset your stomach and it is not cheap. But the pros, imo, far outweigh the cons!

Cleanfiend,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Abysmal Vapor said:
My source was the central news on the "national" television..

I really don't nitpick, but, generally stuff on the news like that comes with some sort of source...

When I see something on the news, they say something like "A new study released by the blah blah institute of blah blah blah, shows that blah blah will blah blah...." Get what I'm saying? A few posts prior, you, among others, suggested how to aid the htp with use of vitamins, then you say that the vitamins won't do anything, due to not getting absorbed, because of the stomach acid sea...I'm just trying to get a solid answer on the matter I suppose.

Cleanfiend said:
Hey Purpl3_Haz3 -- check out a supplement called SAM-E for depression. It is the only over the counter supplement that has ever had any profound effects on my general mood and disposition. It provides energy, it also is a pain reliever -- and it makes you happy. Cons: it can upset your stomach and it is not cheap. But the pros, imo, far outweigh the cons!

Thanks for the suggestion! I don't know if the pro's would outweigh the cons for me though :/ One of my biggest issues that I use cannabis because of, is nausea/stomach pains. Would you think that herb could offset the stomach side effects? Otherwise, I would be interested in trying this...It seems like it would help quite a bit, especially this time of year, with the gloomy weather and whatnot.

Purpl3_Haz3,
how about this for a source.
ate my daily vitamin, and a shit ton of others (calcium D) (niacin) (L-Arginine) last night. Woke up this morning drank one of those goofy ass meal supplements. Ate alright today. Took 100mg of the 5-htp after finding it grocery shopping and felt influences primary when sober. I just vaped a shit ton 45 minutes after dosing on the capsule, def energized enough to make a post enough about how it doesn't work I guess :lol: :D

who knows i might take out my trash. or change bowl in my ion. :rolleyes:

maybe I have to burn this stuff. SIKE that would never happen.

biojuggernaut,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
biojuggernaut said:
how about this for a source.
ate my daily vitamin, and a shit ton of others (calcium D) (niacin) (L-Arginine) last night. Woke up this morning drank one of those goofy ass meal supplements. Ate alright today. Took 100mg of the 5-htp after finding it grocery shopping and felt influences primary when sober. I just vaped a shit ton 45 minutes after dosing on the capsule, def energized enough to make a post enough about how it doesn't work I guess :lol: :D

who knows i might take out my trash. or change bowl in my ion. :rolleyes:

maybe I have to burn this stuff. SIKE that would never happen.

I can see it now! "Local juggernaut destroys neighbors homes, after smoking 5-htp with cannabis" :lol:

Anyhow, Yeah, I take vitamins daily, and haven't had any issue. ALSO, I was recommended vitamin D due to low vitamin D levels (I'm a ginger :/ ) and after taking it for a few months, my vitamin D levels were nearing a normal range...If the vitamin D was being destroyed by the stomach acid before it got a chance to be absorbed, I wouldn't have higher vitamin D levels after taking it... ;)

:peace:

Purpl3_Haz3,

quentin123

Interesting. Once upon a time I learned the hard way not to abuse MDMA. During my time recovering I discovered 5-HTP, upon hearing that it stimulated serotonin build up I bought myself quite a lot, thinking it could repair some of the damage I've done to my receptor. While I have never purposefully taken it before getting high I have used it daily (200mg at night) on and off for about 2-3 years. In some cases for 6months+ without a day off and I must say I don't think I've ever noticed a change in my high from weed which I was using the whole time.
However, just last week I got more 5-HTP for the first time in about 6 months and I started taking it again. I have also found that I have been getting incredibly vaped off of less than usual. This could have something to do with it but it may just be the fact I have been laying off the green and just went about 10 days without a puff.
Just adding in my info.

quentin123,
Top Bottom